What are you reading

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Hoopla has the ebook of that, Connie!

I'm reading THE VERITAS PROJECT by C Black. I've read it in the past but didn't realize it until I was into it. I found the prequel for free and read that for the first time and decided to go into the first book. It's funny, I'm about 2/3 of the way through and the girl I thought was the one in the prequel isn't! She's the contrary one that isn't very likable! LOL. This is a dystopian type story.

I'm reading RESCUING YOU by Robin Patchen. It's the second book in this series, but I read about it in one of her e-mails and it sounded good - and it is! So far none of the strong slang I found in the other book I read by her.

I started SHE GETS JULY by Susan Page Davis. So far it's pretty good. A guy and gal were engaged and bought a lake cottage together. They broke up and now they share the cottage on separate months. I don't know, so far what I've read, the guy isn't very strong-minded! His sister just got a good sock in the eye from her fiance and he's telling his parents to back off, she needs to work it out herself! Okay, and what will you say when you see her in the hospital and black and blue mess???

I finished CORSAIR'S CURSE (which actually has pirates in it) by Shari Tapscott - I gave it a 4.

I finished TROUBLE BREWING by HEATHER DAY GILBERT, a little harder to stay into for me compared to the others. I'll start COLD DRIP tonight.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited January 23
    Options
    Editing: Cindy - I just looked the book up and already owned it....perfect for the challenge. Thanks!

I haven't had time tor research the pirate books yet. I am sure they will work.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Didn't get a chance to start Cold Drip yet, but did get to finish a story while at the hospital for Wade's surgery (which went well). I finished THE VERITAS PROJECT, a fantasy. I read more in SHE GETS JULY, and I also read more in TRIALS OF FEATHERS AND FAITH by Celeste Baxendell, another fantasy novella.

Boy, She Gets July is difficult to read because the characters just don't seem all that smart, it's frustrating. Sure, go back to the man who slugged you in the eye (she ended up figuring it out before she did that). Don't listen to any explanations or give any before you break up with your fiance - you may regret it three years later! Ugh! Not sure I'll be able to finish this one, it's just too ridiculous. I'm hoping that the story is about people who come to their senses!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Kim- I need to read the last of the Barks and Beans series. I have really enjoyed the series. I have to read about Jake!

Right now, I am reading THE TEACHER OF WARSAW by Mario Escobar. Whew, very intense. I have heard so much about his books, and needed one with a Jewish character. This was on hoopla, so I decided to listen to it. I'm not sorry. It is very good, but not sure that I will do more of his books.

I read REBELLIOUS HEART by Jody Hedlund (pre-Rev. War). I needed a book for a challenge that was about the making of our country. This was recommended and I almost didn't read it because her books have been so steamy. This is one of her older books and reminded me why I kept trying her newer books. It was very good.

THE DIVINE PROVERB OF STREUSEL by Sara Brunsvold is next on my reading list. I have heard really good things, but it is going to be hard to beat her first book.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Connie, I remember reading REBELLIOUS HEART and enjoying it so much. Hedlund is such a good storyteller with great chemistry between characters. There's no excuse for the direction her later books are taking and I am so disappointed.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    She used to be a go-to author for me. I agree, Carole, I can't believe she started to get too steamy.

I finished the JOHN WESLEY biography. It's amazing how many great evangelists were associated with him, or ministered at the same time he did and they met at some point.

I'm reading: COLD DRIP, part of the Barks and Beans series.
    I quit reading RESCUING YOU, just too lustful.
    I skipped to the end of SHE GETS JULY. The characters were just so wishy-washy and dishonest with themselves and the ones that they needed most to be honest with - just frustrating to read.
    I'm reading a fantasy that was way back in my library. I thought I had read it, but it's all new to me - a mermaid/harpy story.
  • pianolady831
    edited January 31
    Options
    Have any of you read books by Valerie Comer? I remember liking one of hers many years ago, so I started on her first book in the Farm Fresh series, RASPBERRIES & VINEGAR. It's very good, much more than a light romance.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I love Valerie Comer's books. I tend to forget her, then binge a bunch here and there. I read one for a challenge last month.

I totally loved Sara Brunsvold's newest book, THE DIVINE PROVERB OF STREUSEL. Was it as good as Mrs Kip? Maybe, but different. I definitely was not disappointed, but hungry (a lot of cooking going on!) If you can get it, read it!

I am currently almost done with MIDNIGHT ON THE MISSISSIPPI by Mary Ellis. It is very good. I will finish tonight.

I am also listening to BLACK HILLS SONG by Kari Trumbo (hist). I am working my way through the states and this is South Dakota. I'm not far into it, but her books are always good.

• Restfinder
    Options
    Connie, I put The Divine Proverb of Struesel on my Hoopla wish list. I downloaded three other books already, so will do that one when I get done with at least one of the others.

I'm reading ROAST DATE by Heather Day Gilbert, this is book 7 in the Barks and Beans series. So far very good. You know it has to be good since I didn't give up with the series yet - which is what I usually do with series that don't really capture my attention and pull me in.

I'm almost done with THE WINTER PRINCE by Constance Lopez, a fairy tale re-rell. This is part of a series with various authors.

I'm also almost done with THE ABANDONED PRINCESS by Melanie Cellier. This is part of a spin-off series that is about the children of the original series. All of them are very good. Light fantasy.

I started reading a book by Lorelai Brogan, but it was rather worldly and I couldn't see a Christian theme showing up so I let it go.

I'll get my monthly list up!

• pianolady831
    Options
    Connie, I'm so glad to hear that about THE DIVINE PROVERB OF STREUSEL because I got it as one of my Hoopla picks before the month ran out. And although I'm not a suspense fan, I might try MIDNIGHT ON THE MISSISSIPPI because I enjoy southern settings so much.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I hope that you ladies enjoy THE DIVINE PROVERB OF STREUSEL as much as I did. I absolutely loved THE EXTRAORDINARY DEATHS OF MRS KIP, so I couldn't wait for this one to be released.

Well, as of yesterday I have completed a 50 book challenge and four 12 book challenges. Of course, I did use some books in more than one challenge...just not more than once in the same challenge. I usually do a 50 plus three 12 books, and try to complete during January, so the extra 12 books ran me a little behind, Now, I am working though the states. I usually try to get through all of them by the end of February, but I'm not sure that I will get that one completed with so much going on. Some are rather difficult to find.

Currently I am listening to
    BUCK SPADE - NEVER DATE A COWBOY BILLIONAIRE by Sophie Devon
    MORGAN SPADE - HELP MY BOSS IS A BILLIONAIRE by Sophie Devon
    These are listed under Christian fiction on Cloud Library, but I would really classify as clean. The first book had a bit of light slang, the second was a bit more Christian themed. They are pretty good, romance with a tad of suspense.

I am reading GRAVE PURSUITS by Elle E Kay (susp) , This is the first book in her newer Pennsylvania Parks series. It is really good. I have the next one checked out as well. I'm not sure if book 3 is out or if it is soon to be released. I was looking for a book that takes place in a National Park and these were recommended, but they actually take place in state parks. I found something else for the National Park book.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Connie, you amaze me with your reading challenges. I signed up for a few in the Christian Fiction Devourers group, but gave up trying. I'm just enjoying reading whatever appeals at the moment - or whatever came in at the library.

I'm about halfway through UP FROM DUST: MARTHA'S STORY by by Heather Kaufman and it is really good.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I'm listening to two books on Hoopla, one is ISOBEL KUHN, a missionary to China and LUMEN, the second book in a fantasy series by J J Fischer. I'm also re-reading TRUTH by Molly Evangeline. Sometimes my Kindle pulls up all of my books putting older ones first and I came across this one and remembered that I liked it, but as I'm reading it it is like a fresh read! LOL! I'm also reading THE ROSE AND THE THISTLE by Laura Frantz, very good.

I finished ROAST DATE by Heather Gilbert, book 7. I've already read book 8 so will have to wait for book 9, which I think is the last book.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Notes from my review of UP FROM DUST by Heather Kaufman (5+), an evocative novel that becomes one of my favorite books of all time. Kaufman has done her homework when it comes to research, which enables her to create a fascinating and compelling backstory for Martha, Mary, and Lazarus. Nowhere does she contradict what Scripture reveals about this family and their relationship with Jesus. Kaufman's blending of fiction with historical background and culture helped me to better understand how Martha might possibly have felt. This story is a relationship drama between parents, siblings, and friends.

I thought these words of Lazarus were pretty accurate: "There's truth in His words that it's the sick who most need a physician. He comes to the sinners, and I find it interesting that the righteous do not like it."
  • justgirl81
    justgirl81 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Anyone like reading non-fiction?
    :)
  • connierandel
    Options
    I just finished THE FOXHOLE VICTORY TOUR by Amy Lynn Green (WW2). It follows a USO group and takes place in North Africa. It was really good! If you like WW2 novels, read it.

Currently I am reading THE TANGLED TALE OF THE WOOLGATHERING CASTOFFS by Sharon Mondragon (book 2 in the series starting with THE UNLIKELY YARN OF THE DRAGON LADY). Her first book was my favorite book of 2023, and this is very good. It is dealing with Alzheimer's as well as the ministries of these ladies.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,367 Member
    Options
    justgirl81 wrote: »
    Anyone like reading non-fiction?
    :)

I like to read some non-fiction. Kim has read and shared some interesting biographies
  • pianolady831
    edited February 9
    Options
    justgirl81 - My name is Carole. I do read some non-fiction, mainly in the Christian living genre. And I often use writings by classic authors for meditation. I'm currently making my way through a book on prayer by E.M. Bounds and a collection of Puritan prayers & devotions compiled by Arthur Bennett. What type do you enjoy reading?
  • Restfinder
    Options
    justgirl81 - I have listened to quite a few biographies of missionaries and political leaders who have Christianity in their backgrounds. Two of my favorites were William Wilberforce and William Penn. I find these on Hoopla and they are by Geoff and Janet Benge. If you have a library card you should be able to get on Hoopla. I don't always get to it every day (although I do have time with Jesus every day), but there is a very good devotional called DAILY LIGHT: MORNING AND EVENING by Thomas Nelson Pub. It is simply Scripture verses on different topics. It's been around for quite a while.

I finished the biography of Isobel Kuhn, a missionary to China. What a wonderful story. I need to find my next one!
    I also finished CELESTRE'S SONG by Danni Rohn. This had a good Christian theme. It's an MOB but doesn't have the feel of an MOB.
    I'm also re-reading the second book in a Molly Evangeline series called COURAGE.
    Still reading THE ROSE AND THE THISTLE by Laura Frantz, very good.
    I tried to listen to some more in THE FOURTH SCROLL simply because it's an ARC book and I hate to get a free book and not at least give it a good try, but I'm mostly lost!
  • justgirl81
    justgirl81 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    justgirl81 - My name is Carole. I do read some non-fiction, mainly in the Christian living genre. And I often use writings by classic authors for meditation. I'm currently making my way through a book on prayer by E.M. Bounds and a collection of Puritan prayers & devotions compiled by Arthur Bennett. What type do you enjoy reading?

Mostly health and science (any field of science). I enjoy history a lot also. I LOVE to learn new things. Regarding Christian literature, I stay focused on my Bible, daily study in context is vital for me.