What are you reading

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,382 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I finished the third book in the Anne Perreault series I was reading: THE PROMISE. This was a good series with a lot of scripture references and prayer shared between the main characters. I needed this after reading the 6 cozy mysteries before that which were essentially clean but had no real godliness to them.

The first 4 were harmless but in book 5 the protagonist met the woman who owned a fountain and crystals shop who gave the main character a bracelet with a particular stone that was supposed to... I don't know, give her peace or something. I skipped over that as I am definitely not into crystals and all that represents. It made me uncomfortable and I probably shouldn't have read on, but I went ahead and borrowed book 6 (they were all KU books) which ended with a party attended by the community. When the main character's male friend entered with a man on his arm, I marked that DNF.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Ick! It used to be you could see two girlfriends being close and one may be holding the arm of the other as they walked along and you knew they were good friends or sisters, now... I always wonder when I see that anymore. I don't even bother to watch Hallmark anymore because in nearly every new movie there was at least one LGBTQ couple, either in the background or as a main character set.

I'm working on the ones I mentioned before, haven't finished anything, just moved forward in about four books last night.
  • cmsienk
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I'm looking for a suspense series next - maybe something by Christy Barritt.

I watch a little Hallmark - mostly When Calls The Heart. I had hope for GAC Family when Candace Cameron Bure went there to develop programming, but haven't heard of much coming from that.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Right now, I have been so busy with Bill that I haven't been reading much today. I am about half way through TRIAL BY FIRE by Cara Putman.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Downloaded (KU) and started JUST THE NICEST PERSON (True Crime Junkies Book 2) by Christy Barritt.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Cindy, have you ever read her WORSE DETECTIVE EVER series? I read the first five or six of them and they really were quite funny. I can't believe I have 59 of her books!

Still working on the same stuff, just moving farther along.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    No, I haven't read that series, Kim. Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded Books 1-3 from KU and I'll give it a try.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    :)
  • connierandel
    Options
    I pretty much love all of Christy Barritt's books! I am listening to a Christmas series by Shanna Hatfied and it is pretty good. I just haven't had time to read. Right now, I am so tired and sore from packing and moving mom that I am just too tired to care, Tomorrow is the last day of winding things down in Dixon and taking her to Kansas on Friday.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    That is going to be so much nicer having her close by! I hope it makes your life easier after this push to get her moved!

I'm basically working on the same stories, almost done with a couple. Two of the fantasies have a good Christian message in them and I'm enjoying that. Oh, I did finish the Amish one by Mary Alford. Wow, that got kind of scary in a couple of places. This serial killer knew what she was going to do before she knew it almost! Am enjoying COUNT ZINZINDORF as well.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I'm working my way through a Lynn Gentry series about a preacher's family after he died in the pulpit. It is called Mt Hope Southern Adventures. I have read the first two and will start on #3 today. I am also reading an anthology called HOLIDAY MENACE. It has a bunch (10, I think) of shorter suspense novellas. Jerusha Agen, Mary Alford to name a couple of better known writers, but most are new to me.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I read the first one in HOLIDAY MENACE. I didn't agree with the theology in the story, but really liked the suspense. There are a lot of preachers out there preaching that God chooses who will be saved and who will be damned. In this story she said that if the girl got saved it proved that God chose her to be saved. Jesus came to save all men (I can give you dozens of verses that say that), not all men choose to be saved.

I'm reading JACOB DESHAZER by the Benges. I'd never heard of him, so it's interesting. I had started HARRIET TUBMAN but the biography is written as though only the South had slaves and it was a terrifying thing for a slave to go South. Not everyone in the South had slaves, and the war was over States having their own rites and the Government not ruling over them. The North had slaves and not so strangely they weren't set free in the Emancipation Proclamation!
    I finished listening to WOLF SOLDIER by James R Hannibal and started on BEAR NIGHT. Both fantasies with an obvious Christian message.
    I am reading NO FILTER by Heather Day Gilbert.
    I am almost finished with TEMPESTS OF TRUTH by Melanie Cellier, the third book in this series.
    I finished SEEDS by Rachel Starr Thomson. Very good. I either have to buy the second book or wait for it to come out on KU or at Hoopla. I have book three.
    I'm finished THE UNLUCKY PRINCE (skipped some of it, the FROG PRINCE isn't one of my favorite fairy tales). I'm reading the next book in the series THE BEGGAR PRINCE (a KING THRUSHBEARD retelling).
  • connierandel
    Options
    I didn't even catch that in the book, Kim. Normally that would make me cringe, and yes, that is definitely a faulty doctrine. God has chosen all of us, it is up to us to chose Him. I was listening while I packed Mom, so I may have been in another room when that came up.

I have really enjoyed the Heather Day Gilbert series.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I thought I better have an idea of what's going on before getting to Jake's cameo. I'm enjoying it so far!
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I've been reading THE WORST DETECTIVE EVER MYSTERY SERIES. (Thanks for the recommendation, Kim.) So far I've read books 1-6:
    READY TO FUMBLE
    REIGN OF ERROR
    SAFETY IN BLUNDERS
    JOIN THE FLUB
    BLOOPER FREAK... and
    FLAW ABIDING CITIZEN

It's been good reading, so I just downloaded 7-10
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still working on the same stories. I did finish TEMPTESTS OF TRUTH. Not my favorite of her series, but it was good.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Started and finished GAFFE OUT LOUD - book 7, same series by Christy Barritt
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished that Christy Barritt series a few months ago. I had read some a long time ago, then forgot about them.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I am nearly finished with JACOB DESHAZAR. He was part of the Doolittle raid into Japan, his plane was brought down in Japan-occupied China and he was a Japanese POW for three years, in horrifying conditions. He came to know Jesus while a POW and it really helped him with his guards when he showed them kindness rather than hate.

I'm reading the second story in HOLIDAY MENACE, this one is by Mary Alford. I like her stuff, and this story is no exception. I'm also reading: THE BEGGAR PRINCE; NO FILTER (Barks and Beans Cozy Mysteries); ACROSS ASTRAL REALMS a sci-fi by Bryan Davis.
  • cmsienk
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I finished the Christy Barritt series - THE WORST DETECTIVE EVER:
    JOKE AND DAGGER (8)
    WRECK THE HALLS (9)
    GLITCH AND FAMOUS (10) and
    NOT ON MY BOTCH (11)...
    except at the end of book 11 was a bit that said coming soon:
    ONE HIT BLUNDER

When I do a search for it online the title does autofill... BUT it isn't even listed on her site. Boo.

Also. Did you know her SQUEAKY CLEAN MYSTERIES series has been made into a TV series? Looks like you can watch it in Pureflix, Amazon Prime and a couple other places