What are you reading

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    Aarg! So.sorry that you are back to go back through all of the old records!
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    Oh, Cindy! How awful for you! Praying you will be able to get it all back as it should be.

Just borrowed the second HEARTS OF FIRE book. This one has 12 stories in it. I'll start it tonight. Still re-reading my fantasy series and I started reading the second book in another fantasy series. I'm on book 3 in the MAINE JUSTICE series by Susan Page Davis.

Thanks for that information, Connie. I need to move her somewhere so I don't keep forgetting I have her books!
  • connierandel
    I have been working on a little reading challenge for the month of September. I thought about doing this for the rest of the year, but there are a LOT of "Es".
    S - SIGNS OF LIFE by Creston Mapes (suspense)
    E - EMBRACING HIS PAST by Christina Linstrot Miller
    P - PIXELS AND PAINT by Kristi Ann Hunter (rom)
    T - THE AMBITION by Lee Strobel (susp)
    E
    M
    B
    E
    R
  • connierandel
    I think I just have the "e" to finish September.

I am currently listening to THE LOST MANUSCRIPT by Mollie Rushmeyer. It is contemporary, a mystery and concerns a lost medieval manuscript. It goes from Minnesota to England. Kim - this was from hoopla and might be something you might enjoy....mystery from medieval times and a lost grandmother today.

I am also going through the Deadly Alliance series: I am listening to them on hoopla and scribd, but they are available on KU.
    DEADLY ALLIANCE by Candle Sutton (susp)
    DEADLY DEVOTION by Candle Sutton
    (susp)
    I will start book 3 when I finish the Millie Rushmeyer book. There are 5 in the series. Books one and 5 are not available in audio from hoopla but are from scribd. I had heard that her books were good and they are.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    I finished the Chautona Havig PAST FORWARD series (6 books). I'm reading a standalone book by the same author now - OPERATION POSTHASTE. (I actually think it's a re-read; as I've gotten into it, the storyline seems familiar.)
  • Restfinder
    Connie, THE LOST MANUSCRIPT is on my wishlist!

I am making my way through HEARTS OF FIRE book 2, very good. I cry through some of them, but these ladies are so brave and faithful, I smile too.

I'm on the fourth book of the Susan Page Davis series, THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR is the title, I think. LOL.
    I'm also working on finishing up several fantasies, STORMS OF ALLEGIENCE by Melanie Cellier; WITCHES CURSE by J F Rogers; and I really got into FIRMAMENT: ELEFTHERIA last night, it's the fourth or fifth and I believe, the last book in this series by J Pennington.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2023
    Currently reading OPERATION: CHOSEN by Kari Trumbo (rom susp) KU. I needed to read a few of my KU books to free up some space. I have been listening to the Moore Sister series by L M Karen. I had never heard of her, and don't find her on Amazon, but she is pretty good for light Christian Romance. I need to get back to the Candle Sutton suspense, but need to keep my reading and listening in different genres...so I will need to pick a non-suspense library book.
  • Restfinder
    I am nearing the end of the second HEARTS OF FIRE book. It's different than the first one; there are short stories, just a few pages, intermingled with the longer ones. They are in the words of the women who went through the suffering.

I'm also almost done with book three of the fantasy series I'm reading and book four in the Susan Page Davis series, MAINE JUSTICE. I have book five so will go on to that one when I finish this one.

I am barely into a Regency, AN ENGAGEMENT WITH THE ENEMY by Sally Britton, enemies-to-lovers type series. I've read one in this series and really enjoyed it, so am starting another. They are all stand-alone, and so far very good.

I started listening to THE LOST Manuscript, but I'm not getting into it. The main character just seems so snarky, but that could just be the way the reader sounds. I will keep going though and hope she becomes kinder!

• connierandel
    edited September 2023
    Finished:
    HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD THE BEES by Amanda Cox - This one will make make one of my top reads for 2023. It was about a bee farm and the girls who inherit it.
    BRYNN AND SEBASTIAN HATE EACH OTHER by Bethany Turner (rom) - cute, but lots of slang early in the book. One word drove me crazy!
    EVERY SECRET THING by Ann Tatlock - her books are just not my favorite. I have rated them everything from 2* to 5*. This one I rated at 4*, but it seemed to go on forever

Current
    BOOKSHOP OF SECRETS by Mollie Rushmeyer - This was a Carol Award finalist. I am really enjoying it.
  • Restfinder
    I had been listening to THE LOST MANUSCRIPT by Molly Rushmeyer, but the reader just made me cringe whenever the main character spoke. She gave her such a snarky voice. I gave up listening and will look for an e-book that I can use the text-to-audio on. I did download the audio version of BOOKSHOP OF SECRETS, we'll see if the reader is better in this one!

I finished the fourth book in the SUSAN PAGE DAVIS series and will go on to book five, which apparently I have already read! So this whole series is a re-read - hmmm. Wow, having a poor memory gives you so much more to read - you forget the books you read years ago and can read them all over again like new! heehee!

I'm working on two or three fantasies as well as the HEARTS OF FIRE book. I want to get back into the EM Bounds compilation that I started, but I've been too tired to comprehend anything from that book.

• connierandel
    edited September 2023
    I need to read that Susan Page Davis series. I have it listed on my TBR and have most of them already. I think there is one I don't own, and it is available on KU.

I have been reading the Moore Sisters series by LM Karen. I am enjoying them. There has been a very light slang once in a blue moon...not every book, but don't remember which ones. It hasn't been offensive to me, but I usually try to note it. I couldn't find them anywhere but hoopla, but realized that they are on KU. I had been putting a space between the L and the M instead of putting them together. I am on the last book.

• Restfinder
    Same thing, the HEARTS OF FIRE, a Regency, a couple of fantasies, and the contemp cop.
  • cmsienk
    edited September 2023
    Still reading a bunch of Chautona Havig books. I finished OPERATION POSTHASTE and discovered there was a companion to that, SNOW-CROSSED LETTERS, so I read that. Then I started on THE HARTFIELD MYSTERIES series. Book 1, which I started on the plane and finished the other day, was MANUSCRIPT FOR A MURDER. I'm currently reading book 2 - CRIME OF FASHION.
  • connierandel
    edited September 2023
    I used to read everything that Chautona wrote as soon as it came out, but haven't been as faithful the last couple years. I have kept up the the Independence Island and Suamalie Island series that she participated in, but not as many of the others. When she went to more historical and fairy tales, I kind of lost track.

Finished:
    FIELDS OF FIRE by Ryan Steck (susp) - some language, will probably be the last of his that I read. It was good, but don't appreciate the language used.
    OVER THE LIMIT by Lisa Phillips (Brand of Justice #5) - good but long. I have the next one lined up, too.
    DECEPTIVE SHALLOWS by Christy Barritt (Lantern Beach Exposure #5)
    SECRET SHORES by Christy Barritt (Lantern Beach Exposure #6)

Current:
    NOW OR NEVER by Emily Conrad (The Many Oaks Romances) - so far, it is very good. It is fairly short.
    FOREVER AFTER ALL by Mandi Blake (rom) - I have been listening to the last books in this series on hoopla, then realized that this one was available on KU. I this this is the last in the Wolf Creek Ranch series.
  • cmsienk
    edited September 2023
    I finished books 2 and then read 3 and 4 of the HARTFIELD MYSTERIES series - TWO O'CLOCK SLUMP and FRONT WINDOW. I'm starting book 5 - SILENCED KNIGHT, but I probably won't read more than a chapter or two tonight.

I like this series more than the PAST FORWARD series I read last month.
  • connierandel
    I saw a book on Facebook, so I picked it up on KU. I thought it sounded funny, but it takes on serious issues...immigration, abuse, grief, homelessness. And a couple older ladies that kind of get in the middle of everything.
    WHO BROUGHT THE DOG TO CHURCH by Tracy L Smoak. This is her first fiction, but has written devotionals.
  • connierandel
    I hate that my library hoopla changed our checkout limits, and set a library limit on how many books can be checked out (totally) daily. I have already used all of my reads. I now have signed out and am using another local library for an extra 10 this month.

Finished:
    WHO BROUGHT THE DOG TO CHURCH by Tracy Smoak. This is definitely going into my favorites for the year!
    DANGEROUS CHRISTMAS MEMORIES by Sarah Hamaker (LIS)
    WILDFLOWER FALLS by Denise Hunter (rom) her newest. Pretty good.
    DEADLY DELIVERANCE by Candle Sutton (susp) - this has been a really good series.
    CALCULATED RISK by Lynn Shannon (susp)

Current:
    SILENT NIGHT SHADOWS by Sara Varland (LIS)

I'm not sure what I will listen to, but I had a couple of Amish audios that came up in Libby, so I may do one of them.
  • cmsienk
    edited September 2023
    I finished the HARTFIELD MYSTERIES series by Chautona Havig and started right in on the next series I find on my Kindle... THE AGENCY FILES. I started and finished book 1 yesterday - JUSTIFIED MEANS. I wasn't a huge fan of the premise (man kidnaps woman 'for her own good'), but I liked the writing. I started book 2 this morning - MISMATCHED. It takes place in Fairbury - where a lot of Chautona's literary characters reside.
  • cmsienk
    Done with MISMATCHED and the next one, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY (Chautona Havig series - THE AGENCY FILES).

Downloaded book 4 - A FORGOTTEN TRUTH, but I need to recharge my Kindle, so probably won't start it until tonight.
  • connierandel
    I have been working through Sharon Srock's Garfield series. I read the first two several years ago (that's all there were, then) and just never got back to them. They are more women's fiction with a bit of romance thrown in. They deal with hard issues and life and women of all ages. I found 3-6 on hoopla. I am currently getting ready to start on KATE (book 6) and will go.and pick up more on KU to get through the series.