What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,705 Member
    edited March 29
    Options
    I haven't done a lot of reading while here. Shocking, I know.

Cindy - I listened to Knocking this month on YouTube. I agree on the 5*! She has a lot of her books on audio there, free. I was going to go further into the series, but I am still using up hoopla credits.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,358 Member
    Options
    Oh, good to know re: free Robin Merrill audio books. I'll check it out. Thanks, Connie!
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,336 Member
    Options
    I keep running out of my Hoopla reads - but then again, I only get four a month! Boohoo!

I finished ENHANCED by Candace Kade, a futuristic story where people are genetically enhanced before they are born and the main character is a norm - or is she? The next book is HYBRID, and I will be borrowing that one in a couple of days and getting to a new biography. I am reading a biography on GEORGE MUELLER, so very interesting. Such a man of faith and prayer.

I skimmed through to the end of SIDES, a story about a world that goes crazy after people start play a video game - some folks are predators and some folks are prey, each at different levels depending on how far they got into the game. Then there are the non-players who are pretty much left alone. You learn later in the story why everyone goes nuts on Zero Day. His use of the phrase: when all hell breaks loose, just made me uncomfortable. It's not always used to actually mean that things get so bad you think the bowels of hell have opened up - but in this story things got up to the edge of that. I did skim through after that though and finished the story off.

• connierandel
    Options
    I have been reading a bunch of Love Inspired and Love Inspired Suspense since so many have been showing up in hoopla. They are Apple generated AI audio, which is really unbelievably good. I just haven't taken a lot of time to listen. I get involved, and forget to turn on.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I have a couple of new ones I want to start tonight. One is a biography of Amy Charmichael written by Elizabeth Elliot and the other is HYBRID by Candace Kade, the next book in her series.

I finished one by Linda Ford, a wagon train story. I'm working on a couple of fantasies as well.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    The Lynne Tagawa book I was reading got very Calvinistic (which I am definitely not) so I stopped reading it. It was about The Great Awakening and up to that point I thought it very good, and I was kind of surprised that it took such a strong bent toward Calvinism because I didn't think that Whitfield had that kind of bent. It also didn't describe the Enthusiasts (Methodists) in the right kind of light, although it was probably what folks in that day would think if they weren't heading in that direction.

I'm almost done with my Amy Charmichael biography by Elisabeth Elliot.
    I'm reading HYBRID by Candace Kade, a futuristic fantasy-type story.
    I finished RESCUED LOVE by Linda Ford. It was alright.
    I'm slowly getting through the George Muller autobiography.
    I'm also continuing to work my way through ISLE OF SORROWS by Shari Tapscott which is a very mild fantasy.
    I started HARVEST ISLAND by Lissa Raines. It's a contemp suspense story, but I'm already confused. When you first begin the story, she is a 6 month newlywed. The next chapter is 5 years later, her husband is gone 10 years have passed and she has two children. Say what??? The author doesn't mention what happened to the husband, but I'm assuming he's dead or divorced her because she has eyes for her neighbor! Just weird. Hopefully I'll figure it out! LOL!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am mainly listening to Love Inspired and Love Inspired Suspense books on hoopla. They are pretty predictable, but I have been so busy that I need something rather predictable, so if I space off and miss something, I haven't missed much.

I did finish RIOT by Ronie Kendig. This is book 3 in this series and I have really been enjoying them. Some of her books are a bit intense and I have to be in the right mood for them, but this series is about retired military K9s and the work that they are doing after "retirement".

• Restfinder
    Options
    I have, I think, two books in that series and hope I can get to them soon.

I'm reading, still, the Amy Charmichael biography by Elisabeth Elliot; and continuing to read the Autobiography by George Muller. This one is a little harder to listen to because he sometimes goes into the minutia of his life (how much he paid for this or that, etc...). The Amy Charmichael one is interesting, she was either loved or scorned because of her inflexibility in staying to biblical standards in her home and in her teaching.

I'm working on a few fantasies, bits each night. ISLAND OF SECRETS AND SACRIFICE by Deborah Grace White; I finished ISLE OF SORROWS by Shari Tapscott; HARVEST ISLAND by Lissa Raines.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am currently reading WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS by Elizabeth Camden. It is a Gilded Age NYC book. Pretty good. I am between audiobooks right now.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I read one of her other series that begins with THE SPICE KING. I really liked that. I have several of her other books too. I think that I am overwhelmed with the number of unread books I have on my Kindle and want to read too many of them NOW! LOL!

I'm on the last few pages of my Missionary to Arabia biography. I continued in my Hudson Taylor book, A RETROSPECT. It's not easy to follow, but I've enjoyed several of the stories of his adventures in China.

I'm also reading NO TURNING BACK by Jan Van Hee about Herbert Grings in Africa.

I started TRAIL OF JUSTICE BY Susan Page Davis, it's alright but I'm struggling to stay into it.

Almost done with ISLAND OF SECRETS AND SACRIFICE, a fantasy in a series with multiple authors. I have the next book ready to go.

• connierandel
    Options
    Well, I guess I made a mistake in all of the mess at mom's. I listed that I had read a book, then I checked it out again in a boxed set. When I started to list it on the author page in my google documents, I showed that I had read it last month. I absolutely did not read it last month. Anyway, I took it off of this month and just let it stand for last month.

Current:
    COLD CASE TARGET by Jessica Patch (LIS) hoopla. They got so many LI and LIS books in with Apple narration. They are pretty good (MUCH better than text-to-voice) but once in a while that get the female and the male narrations mixed up. It takes a minute to realize what is going on!
    A LADY'S GUIDE TO MARVELS AND MISADVENTURE by Angela Bell (historic) - This is one that is showing up by a lot of people as the best they have read in 2024. I will give it a while longer before I say that, but it is definitely different. Kim - this may be something that you enjoy. It has some "marvels" that may be to your interest and funny bone.

I had to DNF a book that i thought might be funny. It was The Funeral Ladies of Ellerie County by Claire Swinarski. It had a fairly strong slang early in the book, then used the Lord's name in vain. Nope! Not going there.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I checked for it on Hoopla, Connie, and it does sound very interesting. Hoopla has the e-book only, so I will probably check it out next month, I've used all my borrows for this month.

I'm re-listening to JOHN NEWTON. I forgot that I had listened to it and since I took it out on Hoopla I thought I'd listen again. It's a very good one. I finished the one I was reading about CHARLES MULLI, very interesting. He was a street kid who made good and felt led by the Lord to give everything he had and go and help other street kids. He ended up starting a school which ended up being the highest rated school in their area (Africa). This was in the mid-1900's. He also housed and fed over 1000 street kids!
    I'm also re-listening to ADONIRAM JUDSON, also very interesting.

In fiction I'm listening to an Amish suspense series COVERT POLICE DETECTIVES UNIT by Ashley Emma. I've read the first one, but am reading it again before going on through the rest of the series. I have all but one of the books.

I'm also reading THE OUTCAST OF CHIVASSO by D. J. Speckhals. It takes place, I think, in the 1400's during a time of persecution for Christians. It's a novel about real history.

My fantasy is part of a series: Labyrinth of Lies and Sacrifice C. F. E. Black. This one is a remake of The Labyrinth with the minataur, but I think that the minataur is a cursed human.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I am still reading A LADY'S GUIDE TO MARVELS AND MISADVENTURE by Angela Bell. Oh my! It's title is fitting. It isn't my normal book at all, but it is so funny and unusual. I guess the word I would use would be delightful. From some of the reviews it gets "to sermonizing and religious" toward the end. We will see.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I forgot BY DARKNESS HID, a re-read so I will have the characters down when the new series based on this series comes out. Jill Williamson is the author of this series. She set up a contest to find three authors to write the next series, so these will be all newbies!
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have been listening to
    UNTIL SUMMER ENDS by Elana Johnson (romance) steamy, nothing really bad, just a bit too much.

I'm still reading A LADY'S GUIDE TO MARVELS AND MISADVENTURE by Angela Bell. I keep forgetting to open the kindle application to finish this one. I am really enjoying it, though.

Finished:
    SANDCASTLE INN by Irene Hannon - I have really enjoyed this series.

• Restfinder
    Options
    Re-listening to ADONIRAM JUDSON. I finished re-listening to John Newton. I went through the Amazon list of Missionary Biographies by Geoff and Janet Benge and put down the ones I've read and a little bit about the story, and then a list of ones I want to listen to. I just get them so confused and can't always remember names!

I am going to get back into NO TURNING BACK by Jan Van Hee, about Herbert Grings in Africa.
    I also want to get back into THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF GEORGE MULLER.
    I also need to get back into A WAR IN YOUR HEART by Ruth Paxson. These are all non-fiction.
    I'm going to put down fiction for a little while, just feel the Lord is leading me in that direction.
  • cmsienk
    edited April 22
    Options
    I've been reading through another Misty M. Beller series: BROTHERS OF SAPPHIRE RANCH. I've read books 1-3 so far: HEALING THE MOUNTAIN MAN'S HEART, MARRYING THE MOUNTAIN MAN'S BEST FRIEND and PROTECTING THE MOUNTAIN MAN'S TREASURE. I downloaded, but didn't start, book 4 last night: EARNING THE MOUNTAIN MAN'S TRUST. In between I read THE SOLDIER'S TRAINER by Rose Fresquez and book 4 of the HOPE SPRINGS SERIES by Valerie M. Bodden: WHISPERS OF TRUTH.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you enjoying the Beller series, Cindy? It's been a long time since I've read one of her books. She makes the north American and Canadian outdoors come alive.

Kim, it's interesting how the Lord leads us in certain reading directions and I enjoy all you share about the non-fiction you've been reading lately.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Cindy, I've enjoyed the Beller books I've read and have several of them.

Carole, I've really enjoyed the missionary stories I've been reading. I went back through and made a list of the ones I've read and where they were and what they did where they were - I get too confused between them all, so hopefully this will help me. I made a list of ones I'd like to read as well. I finished a Ruth Paxon book last night RIVERS OF LIVING WATER. She writes about living a holy life (inward heart cleansing, not outward trappings). I have two others of hers I've started. They are kind of heavy reading.

I read more in the George Muller auto-biography and am going to start on some of the David Livingstone books that I have.

I did read an Amy Charmichael biography - she didn't play games! People either loved her or hated her because of her strong stance on living wholly for the Lord.

Love y'all. Have a beautiful day!
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I am enjoying this Beller series. I started book 4 - EARNING THE MOUNTAIN MAN'S TRUST - right before going to bed last night