What are you reading

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,336 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start a new biography - ROWLAND BINGHAM, a missionary to Africa in the 1800's. The book I started about the 7 popular missionaries, the first one being about Amy Carmichael in India isn't that interesting - it's shared, it seems, it bits and pieces, there isn't a nice flow. I may just try to find the biographies on the ones I haven't listened to yet.

There is a Ruth Paxson book that I have been going to now and again, RIVERS OF LIVING WATER. It's a book on walking a deeper walk with God, yielding all to Him. I also have another of her books, LIFE ON THE HIGHEST PLANE. I've read part of that, but haven't finished it.

I'm also reading the second book in a fantasy, INTO THE DEN by Annabelle Raven. It's pretty good.
    Continuing my re-read of DRAGONQUEST by Donita K Paul.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    Current read:
    NOT UNTIL US by Valerie M Bodden - back to these books

I haven't started an audiobook, but I will probably pick something from YouTube to save my library audiobooks for while we are gone since I will only have my cell phone data while we are there. My cell phone company will automatically increase my plan as I go over my data and I'm pretty sure I will wind up with the unlimited plan for the month, but I don't know how well that tethering will work if I try to do more than one device at a time, and Bill will be mainly watching streaming TV while there. There are no stations close and we already got rid of Mom's satellite plan. It was terrible, anyway....4000 shopping networks, and very little else. You couldn't even get Hallmark or any of the western channels that Bill likes. Literally, the plan says 55 channels which there were a few "local" to Springfield, MO and a bunch of channels I had never seen.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    We had satellite years ago. At the end of our deal the price went up, the next month the price went up again, then again. NO Thank You! We got to pick our channels for Spectrum cable, but they turned out to be chock full of wokeness so we let that go too. Freebie, Pluto and YouTube are our go-to's now. Hogan's Hero's is a favorite!

I started a Rosanna White book, A BEAUTIFUL DISGUISE. Wow, it starts out with a bang! I knew as soon as I started I was going to like it.

I started my new Biography, ROWLAND BINGHAM. When he was a young man his father died and he asked each of his sons to promise that they would see him in heaven - now he had to just figure out how to get there! He was part of the Methodist (Dissenters) Church as well as The Salvation Army! He and two friends eventually started SIM - Sudan Interior Mission (I think that the I is right).
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,358 Member
    Options
    I finished PAPER DOLLS (Habakkuk Series Book 1) by Kara R. Hunt and now I'm reading LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON (True Crime Junkies Book 5) by Christy Barritt.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    WILFRED GRENFELL is my latest missionary biography. He was a medical missionary to the fishermen in the North Sea. Very interesting.

I started a new fantasy by Tara Grayce, part of a multi-author series.

I'm going to start WAR IN YOUR HEART by Ruth Paxon, a non-fiction.

I'm still working on A BEAUTIFUL DISGUISE by Roseanna White.

I started listening to the audiobook of TRAPPED IN YOSEMITE, but I really don't like the reader, so will wait until I can get it in e-book and listen that way.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I just finished AFTER THE SHADOWS by Amanda Cabot. Haven't read one of hers in a long time and I enjoyed it.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON (Christy Barritt) and then read the second book in the Habakkuk series, KITE: PAPER DOLLS (Kara R. Hunt). Now I'm on the hunt for a new KU deal. Mine expired today
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished my biography about the North Sea missionary doctor, very good. I'll pick a new one this afternoon. I'm also working on the new fantasy read.
  • cmsienk
    edited March 12
    Options
    I started FALLING FOR THE BRONC RIDER by Danae Little. It's one of the free Kindle deals I picked up in the past couple of weeks
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started a new Biography - JOHN FLYNN, a missionary to the outback of Australia. I'm also re-reading a fantasy and about 2/3 of the way through a new fantasy.
  • cmsienk
    edited March 13
    Options
    Finished Falling For the Bronc Rider and started Moonlight, Murder, and Small Town Secrets: A Christian Cozy Mystery by KC Hart
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still working on the same stuff. I was looking up more books on missionaries and looked up Hudson Taylor, I knew that there were long stories about his work than the short biography - I found several free public domain copies of his books and books about him. I also found some on David Livingstone.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Kim, have you ever read anything by or about Amy Carmichael? It's been a long time and I can't remember the book's name, but I have enjoyed her in the past.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I have a book 7 MISSIONARY BIOGRAPHIES and she is the first one in it. I didn't particularly like it, not for her sake but because it was written very choppily! She is on my favorites list on Hoopla. I'll do her after I get done with Klaus-Dieter John, he was a missionary to South America. I hadn't read any from there yet, so thought I would try him! Hoopla has five books by Amy Carmichael: Mimosa; If; That Way and No Other; Things as They Are; Gold by Moonlight.

I'm almost done with my fantasy re-read, DRAGONLIGHT by Donita K Paul. I'm more than halfway through with WHITE QUEEN OF THE CANABALS - about Mary Slessor (free public domain book)

I'm reading INTO THE DEN the second book in this fantasy series.

I'm more than halfway through A BEAUTIFUL DISGUISE, as well. It's been pretty good.
  • cmsienk
    edited March 20
    Options
    I finished Moonlight, Murder, and Small Town Secrets: A Christian Cozy Mystery by KC Hart and then read Reflections of Love and Pieces of Forever (River Falls book 1) both by Valerie M. Bodden.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I finished WHITE QUEEN OF THE CANABALS, about Mary Slessor, a missionary in Africa. Very good.

I finished A BEAUTIFUL DISGUISE, also very good. This is part of THE IMPOSTER series. Can't wait to get to the second book!

I read a bit more of INTO THE DEN, a fantasy. I need to get back to my missionary biography on Hoopla!
  • cmsienk
    edited March 24
    Options
    (3/20) I finished SONGS OF HOME (River Falls Book 2) and MEMORIES OF THE HEART (Book 3) both by Valerie M. Bodden. I have to wait for until mid-April for Book 4 to be available, so later tonight I'll be starting TRUE CRIME JUNKIES Book 6 - THE END OF THE ROAD by Christy Barritt

(3/21) And today I finished THE END OF THE ROAD. Book 7 comes out in early May.
  • cmsienk
    edited March 24
    Options
    I only had a little left (started this last night), so I just finished KNOCKING: NEW BEGINNINGS Book 1 by Robin Merrill. It was excellent - a 5 for me. Book 1 from KU. Just bought Book 2 with Amazon credits of $4.99 (so, free).

From the Amazon description: "When their local church closes, seven senior women decide to start a new one. Pooling their funds, they buy a building that’s crumbling around them. Then, despite large hurdles and loud critics, the ladies work to create the church they’ve always wanted to attend."
  • cmsienk
    edited March 25
    Options
    I finished Book 2 of the NEW BEGINNINGS series - KICKING - by Robin Merrill, then bought (used up the last of my credits... it ended up costing me .98) Book 3, SEARCHING.

At the end of that was a link to join a reading group and get a short story about an ancillary character - CHRISTY. This was maybe a 20-30 minute read, so I finished that. It was good, but I found a couple of errors - one factual, one grammatical (well, probably an editing issue) - so I sent her a note. We'll see if I hear back from her.

Have a great Monday!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I've gotten in touch with several of the authors I read and more times than not they respond back, especially if I respond to something in their newsletter. Three responded from reviews I gave!

I finished the South American Missionary biography and have gone back the the book I got that has biographies of 7 missionaries. I'm on the fourth missionary. It's not as good as the Benge's biographies, but it's interesting.

I am almost finished with THE FOURTH SCROLL, an ARC read that I am way behind on. I needed to read book one to figure out what they were talking about in book two, which did make a difference.

I finished the second book in a multi-author fantasy series.

I started one by Linda Ford last night, a single mom is heading to California by herself after getting kicked off of her wagon train and is found by a young man from another wagon train - he convinces her she's not safe and she needs a partner to help her take care of things - so she agreed! He seems like a nice guy - we'll see! LOL!