What are you reading

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,382 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on the Susan Sleeman series. I'm on book 6, I think - EDGE OF STEELE. They've been good, but I'll be ready to move on to something else when I finish this one
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I finished one fantasy BARD'S TIDING by Paul Regnier. It was pretty good although there was a lot of violence or very dangerous moments.

I started a biography on William Carey, very good so far.

I'm still working on book 1 of the MAINE JUSTICE series by Susan Davis. I've read books one and two but it's been quite awhile and the rest of the series is done, so I started from the beginning.

Still working on SIDES by Bradley Caffee, a YA contemporary fantasy. It's really teenagerish, but I really enjoyed his last series so will stick it out to see how this one goes.

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    I listened to a series of novellas by Liwen Y Ho. I was surprised that there was no Christian content in them (although totally clean). I didn't know that she wrote in the clean and wholesome genre as well as Christian fiction. When I finished that series, YouTube went on to the next book in my "watchlist" which was one of her Christian books.
    Welcome to Romance Interlude Inn (clean)
    CHASING ROMANCE by Liwen Y Ho
    ROMANTICALLY EVER AFTER by Liwen Y Ho
    HOLDING ON TO LOVE by Liwen Y Ho
    then:
    LAWFULLY CHERISHED by Liwen Y Ho

Current YouTube series
    Magnolia Island
    MAGNOLIA DREAMS by Malory Ford (prequel) This was only an hour long, so less when I sped it up.
    OCEANS OF MERCY Malory Ford (romance) This is pretty good and I'm getting close to the end. There are several more in the series and I think I will just let YouTube automatically go to the next one. These are definitely Christian.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I finished the Magnolia Island series. Mallory Ford is a new to me author, and I really enjoyed this series. There was one mystery thread that ran through all 6 six books but each book had a romantic ending. I will read or listen to more.

Currently listening to A SUDDEN ROMANCE by Rose Fresquez. It automatically went to it since it was next on my "watch list". I really intended on going to a kindle book, but was in the middle of something when it started so I just let it run.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Still working on the same books. I am really enjoying the biography on William Carey. It's amazing what these missionaries have gone through. His story is tough though, his wife didn't want to be a missionary wife, never wanted to go to India and ended up super depressed and closed off; he had to end up just locking her in her bedroom while she was in such bad shape. She couldn't handle the death of her first daughter, then we the second daughter died, and then one of her sons, just too much.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Currently debating on not finishing an Amy Rafferty series. The first and second books had a couple of inappropriate words used. The prequel was clean. Book three had entirely too much language and I don't need that. I think there are 4 more books and I need a cleaned up version! I am debating what to do...Not hard core language, but more that I will deal with, especially in a Christian book. I may skip to the last book to see how the series plays out.

I am currently reading the Hope Island Securities series.
    FORGOTTEN PAST by Mary Alford (susp) KU - do far it is very good.

AARG, I was going to cancel my Scribd account before it went into the yearly paid . They said they would remind me, so I didn't set an alert. The payment went through yesterday. I thought about fighting and cancelling, but then I thought that if I divided the yearly subscription, it wound up less than $7 a month and my hoopla account cut back on my books. So, I have it for a year.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I downloaded and started the first book in the Magnolia Island series: OCEANS OF MERCY by Malory Ford.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I really like Mary Alford! I have the Legacy Series boxed set by Mallory Ford, but haven't read it yet. I have more books that I haven't read in my library than ones that I have! LOL!

I finished the Biography on William Carey, very good. I started one on a woman missionary to China, Gladys Alyward. I've never heard of her, but so far it is very good. Many of these missionaries, if they couldn't be accepted by a mission group were determined to make it there on their own. She is one of them. Very inspiring stories.

Went back to re-reading my favorite fantasy series. It's familiar so it's easy. Late at night I don't want to have to think too much! LOL.

I bought the second book by J W Gilbert. The first book is MOJAVE RIFT and this one is MOJAVE MAN. It takes place during the Millennium. I really liked book one and have waited to get book two for awhile, but it isn't going on KU, so I went ahead and bought it! Eek! I have a $3.00 credit, but not sure if it's made it into my account yet. I'm doing the book thing where if you buy a book you get points and when you reach 300 points you get a $3.00 credit. It takes me awhile to get there, but it helps.

Still working on the other stories I've put down too.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I started on
    Kent Brothers - boxed set KU
    THE BROKEN WARRIOR by Taylor Hart (susp) -small amount of very light slang
    THE REDEEMED GROOM by Taylor Hart (susp) -small amount of very light slang
    THE FAKE FIANCE GROOM by Taylor Hart (rom) -small amount of very light slang - not quite as good
    HER HOLLYWOOD FAKE FIANCE by Taylor Hart (susp) current
    The betting Groom by Taylor Hart (susp)
    Married by Christmas by Taylor Hart (susp)

I finished:
    LADIES OF THE LAKE Cathy Gohlke (historical) - REALLY good!
    Stay With Me (Boxed set) KU
    ABANDONED by Liz Bradford
    ASCENDING HOPE by Sara Blackard
    RUNAWAY by Jennifer Pierce
    RODEO SABOTAGE by Kari Trumbo
    There are more of these boxed sets coming out this summer. The next one in is a few days. All of the books in them are in different states, and at the end of the books coming out, you fill in a map with all of the states that are covered and x off the book in the list. That is kind of a fun way to get people to read all of the boxed sets.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I'm still reading the Magnolia Island series by Malory Ford. I think I'm on book 4 but can't remember any of the titles off the top of my head. I'll come back later and fill those in
  • connierandel
    Options
    I listened to THE ONLY EXCEPTION by Mandi Blake (romance). I started it before bed last night, and I couldn't sleep, so I kept re-setting the sleep timer. I finished it this morning early....very little sleep, but at least a good book.

Still working on the Taylor Hart series. They are considered Christian fiction, but I think they are much more clean that Christian. There are a few light slang words (unoffensive to me, but they jar me when in Christian fiction) that are rarely used, but wind up in all the books.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have been working through Kathy Herman's Roux River series. I had already read book 1, so I read book 2 today and am working on book 3. I am really enjoying them.
    Secrets of Roux River Bayou
    DANGEROUS MERCY by Kathy Herman (susp) book 2 - I had this already on my kindle
    RELENTLESS PURSUIT by Kathy Herman (susp) - KU

I have been listening to
    K9 Search & Rescue series
    ALL THAT I DREAD by Linda J White (susp) - This was really good! She isn't a new-to-me author, but the first book I read by her was so long ago, that I forgot her.
    FEAR THAT CHASES ME by Linda J White (susp) starting tonight before bedtime. This series is on KU, but I am listening to the first 4 on hoopla, I will use KU for #5 since it isn't on audio via hoopla.

I hate when I get 2 suspense series going at the same time. I usually try to mix it up a little. Oh, well, at least one has dogs and they are in totally different locations, so it is easier to keep them from blending together.
  • Laura_TX
    Laura_TX Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Restfinder wrote: »
    I'm doing the book thing where if you buy a book you get points and when you reach 300 points you get a $3.00 credit. It takes me awhile to get there, but it helps.

Still working on the other stories I've put down too.

Restfinder if you find a way for me to gift you my points, let me know. I don't really use them. It takes me forever to read a book and when I do it's often an audiobook.

BTW the William Carey book, I could not read it. (It sounds very triggering for me as I've had multiple miscarriages and child/infant loss is not a topic that I handle well.) Big kudos to you for making it through such a difficult book.

• connierandel
    Options
    I am still working through the Linda J White books. I am really enjoying them. They all have the same 4 core characters, with others added in each book. Also the same dogs. One character is a strong Christian and you see others drawn to the Lord through him. I'm on book 3 right now: WHEN EVIL FINDS US by Linda J White (susp).

I finished:
    A SEASIDE WONDER by Melissa Tagg (Muir Harbor 2) - I have the next checked out.
    DIAL S FOR SECOND CHANCES by Linda Shenton Matchett (rom) - I have been reading these as they come out...short and sweet.
    RISKY RESCUE by Laura Scott (susp) very good. Waiting for the next one to come out.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Laura, I'm sorry for your losses! You have precious children waiting in heaven for you. My mom had a miscarriage, a boy, and I often think of my second brother that I never got to meet, but he is a "warrior" in heaven waiting to meet his family. I used to have trouble reading books about couples wanting children but struggling. My husband and I couldn't have children and for at least the first five years of our marriage I struggled with it - but then a friend said something that made me rethink things - she asked me how much we would be willing to spend before we were willing to trust the Lord! Oh wow - nothing is impossible for God, and if He wanted us to have children then He could heal whatever was wrong. I believe in the medical system, but we were very poor at that time. We choose to leave having children in God's hands and if we didn't have them then it was that God had a different plan for us. Now it makes me sad because I want them to trust God and not worry and fret! If it happens, great, if it doesn't great - just be in God's will! Phew! It's amazing though, when reading the missionary stories from back in the 1800's especially, they often had children die because of the diseases that are found in these countries that didn't have medicines for, or inadequate medicines. Most of the children died from dysentery or malaria and things like that. They were a very brave lot of people!

I'm still working on Gladys Alyward (I think that's her name). Very good! Amazing what she pushed herself to go through to get to China, and the ways God delivered her from very dangerous situations to get her there.

Re-reading the fourth book in my favorite fantasy series - TROLL QUEEN is the fourth book.

I got an ARC read yesterday: ROSE OF THE FAE by Brittany Fichter. So far it's very good.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I'm just now downloading book 5 in the Magnolia Island series by Malory Ford.
    I've read OCEANS OF MERCY, FLAMES OF FAITH, GROWING HOPE and FIGHTING FOR TRUTH. Book 5, MELODY OF THE HEART, will wrap it all up. It's been a good series
  • connierandel
    Options
    I enjoyed that series, too. It was my first by Malory Ford. I'm sure I will pursue more of her books.

I am working on book 4 of the Linda J White series, K9 Search & Rescue: MY DARKEST NIGHT. I am enjoying this series, Hoopla does not have book 5 on audio, but it is available on KU, so I have it checked out. I don't know if there will be more, or not.

I am also reading a Christmas anthology (Christmas in July, you know).
    Four Christmas Kisses Anthology: KU
    THE BILLIONAIRE'S BODYGUARD by Tammie Dearen
    ROMANCING THE RANCHER by Jen Peters
    MERRY AND THE GENTLEMAN by Donna K Weaver - current
    Love Pact With the Hero by Liwen Y Ho - previously read, so probably will just page through it.

• cmsienk
    Options
    I finished MELODY OF THE HEART and started re-reading a 2-book Chautona Havig series: Marriages of Conviction - BLESSING BENTLEY (finished) and TEMPTING TAIT. I remembered enjoying these and wanted to re-read them because I see she's added ADORING APRIL. It's still only in paperback on Amazon, so I've put it on my List.
  • connierandel
    Options
    ADORING APRIL was part of the Save The Date anthology in 2021. I have the anthology, but it doesn't allow lending. I loved those books.

I finished reading the Linda J White series. I really enjoyed it. I liked how it followed the same characters through the series. There was a little romance, but really not what I would call romantic suspense. I loved the dogs! Through the entire series, one of the main characters was the spiritual mentor, and he went through some rough waters!

I am not exactly sure where I am going to land now. I have a couple of hoopla books that I need to listen to, and a whole pile of KU books.
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2023
    Options
    So... I can't find that anthology anywhere. The only "Save the Date" anthology that comes up lists these authors... Ann Roberts. Tagan Shepard, Jessie Chandler, Louise McBain, M.B. Guel, E. J. Noyes, Celeste Castro, Kay Acker, Dillon Watson, Cade Haddock Strong, Kate Gavin and Jaime Clevenger.

The back of the TEMPTING TAIT book has a blurb about reserving SAVE THE DATE with Hallee Bridgeman, Kari Trumo, T.K. Chakin and obviously Chautona Havig. I'm stumped.

ETA: OK, I found the right one on an old site (that goes to a dead link). Looks like I'm out of luck. Boo 😔