• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Laura - good to see you again.

I am reading Finnegan First Responders series:
    EXPLOSIVE TRUTH by Laura Scott (susp)
    SEEKING JUSTICE by Laura Scott (susp)
    PROTECTION DETAIL by Laura Scott (susp)
    MIDNIGHT ABDUCTION by Laura Scott (susp)

I also just finished:
    EDGE OF STEELE by Susan Sleeman (susp) - This one just came up on KU. The library has had it for a while, but it wouldn't download to kindle, so I decided to wait. It is the last of the series.
    BLIND DATE WITH THE BILLIONAIRE BEST MAN by Evangeline Kelly (rom) - just a short light romance.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,382 Member
    Options
    I started ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS by Nicole Deese on my plane ride to Philly this afternoon and will probably read a little more tonight before going to bed.
  • connierandel
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Cindy - I have really enjoyed her books! I hope you have a good.trip.

I read a cute cozy mystery by Laura Scott, TAILING TROUBLE. It had veterinarian, her grandpa, A police officer and a couple of trouble making dogs. What it didn't have is any Christian content at all. I was very surprised. It was cute, but it seems like there was an instance of slang.

Also - THE HAPPY LIFE IF ISADORA BENTLEY by Courtney Walsh - I was disappointed. I had heard so many great things about the book, but I found it more "clean" than Christian and some rather crass language. The premise of the story was good, but if it had been written with more of a Christian viewpoint, it could have had long lasting impact on lives.

I have no idea what I will read next. I have a ton of library holds, but just one book checked out right now.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm working on a couple of fantasies, almost done with one of them. I'm still working on John Newton as well. What a life he had!
  • cmsienk
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I finished ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS last night in my hotel room (and stayed up too late doing it). I really liked it.

After reading your post, Connie, I downloaded the Steele Susan Seeman series - all 6 books - from KU. I have enjoyed her books and haven't read this series
  • connierandel
    Options
    I just finished:
    YUKON JUSTICE by Dana Mentink (LIS) kind of cute, too. It was set on reindeer ranch.
    LUCKY SHOT by Shanna Hatfield (Pink Pistol #9) KU - This is a really cute series following a pink pistol originally given to Annie Oakley - They span years! It is getting to last few of the series, and this one was set in the early 1970's - I graduated high school in 1971, so it was fun for me.

Current:
    HIS SIXTH SWEETHEART by Liz Isaacson (romance)
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started the Steele series, but stopped after book three - can't say why, I was enjoying it. I think book four hadn't come out yet and I just didn't go back to it. Now that there are three more out I may go back to it! LOL!

Almost done with one of the fantasies I'm reading and about half-way through with the other. Also working on a Regency: THE AMIABLE FOE. Still working on JOHN NEWTON as well.
  • connierandel
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I have been listening to an older suspense series by Nancy Mehl. I started to log it today and I showed that I had already read them. Of well, they didn't even seem familiar to me, and I know it has been more than two years ago.

I have another free trial going on Scribd. They have a lot of Christian fiction, but they sometimes cut you off for a while when you use it too much. My Walmart delivery subscription offers 40% off a yearly subscription and first month free. If anyone wants to try a free subscription, I can give you a code through my account for 2 free months. It also gives me a free month. I don't think.i will go ahead with the year...but it hasn't cut me off yet...so maybe.
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I finished the first book in the Steele Guardians series by Susan Sleeman: TOUGH AS STEELE and started the second one: NERVES OF STEELE.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    What is the Walmart subscription delivery?

That reminds me, I need to get my monthly list done! I have been trying to keep up with it though, so it shouldn't take me long to finish it off.

I wasn't able to finish the JOHN NEWTON story, my Hoopla messed up and for some reason I couldn't get it to reload, so I chose another one. It's someone I haven't heard of, but it's about a woman pilot in the 1920's and so far very interesting.

I finished one of my fantasies, CALOR and am still working on the others, as well as the Regency.
  • connierandel
    Options
    There is a program through Walmart that you pay $99 a year for free deliveries on groceries. For another $40 a year they are "tipless", will actually deliver inside if you want, free Paramount Plus streaming and discounts on other things, plus free shipping on most Walmart merchandise with no minimum. The Scribd subscription discount was part of that...but I can gift free 60 day Scribd trials even when I am using a trial.

I figured for less than $12 a month having groceries delivered so I don't have to leave Bill that it was worth it. Having groceries delivered here is 7.95 plus a tip.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    That does make sense. I sent you a message with my email address. I'm assuming that's what you'd need to gift the 60 day trial
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Yesterday I finished book 3 in the Susan Sleeman series: FORGED IN STEELE. Haven't started the next one yet
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I am listening to BETTY GREENE, that's the one about the woman pilot. She wants to be a flight missionary. So far it's quite good.

I'm also listening to VIVID a fantasy (through Hoopla); and reading another fantasy. I haven't gotten back to my Regency for a couple of days.
  • connierandel
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Cindy - I didn't get your message for some reason. Let me see if I can find your email in my system from lending a kindle book. EDITED - if your email hasn't changed, your invitation is on its way.

I finished A SHADOW IN MOSCOW by Katherine Reay (cold war). I was not really in the mood for anything this deep when I started it and did some light YouTube audiobooks before I got back to it. When I went back to it, it was a great book dealing with the cold war through the Nixon presidency in Russia.
    WISDOM TO KNOW by Elizabeth Maddrey -very low volume hard to hear, but too good to let that keep me from finishing. I finally used my computer in the office and turned the volume to maximum and the volume on my speakers to maximum and it was still a low enough that if I got away from the desk it was hard to hear. I tried the next book in the series, but it was too soft as well, so I decided against it.
    HOW I MET YOUR BROTHER by Janette Rallison (clean rom)
    MASQUERADE by Janette Rallison (clean rom) YouTube - she was recommended by a Christian author I follow and the books had nothing objectionable. I will probably listen to more.

Current
    HOPE BEYOND THE WAVES by Heidi Chiavaroli (split time). This is dealing with a girl that gets leprosy and is sent to a colony. The current day is a girl that gets pregnant and is sent to live with her grandmother, who was a younger sister to the girl in the colony. The book has won several awards, and I see why. It is very good.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Thanks, Connie, I'll look for it today.

I started the next book in the Susan Sleeman series I'm reading: MADE OF STEELE. While they're all very similar, I'm still enjoying the series, so I'll keep going.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I put HOPE BEYOND THE WAVES on my wish list. It sounds very interesting. It's been awhile since I've read anything by her.

Still working on the same stuff
  • connierandel
    Options
    I got started on a series by Natalie Bright. They had the first two in the series on hoopla audio and the series is available on KU, so I listened to the first two through hoopla and reading the remainder. They are clean/Christian, but do have some alcohol.
    Wild Cow Ranch
    MAVERICK HEART by Natalie Bright & Denise McAllister (cont western) hoopla
    WILD COW WINTER by Natalie Bright & Denise McAllister (cont western) hoopla
    FOLLOW A WILD HEART by Natalie Bright & Denise McAllister (cont western) KU
    COWGIRLS AND RUSTLERS by Natalie Bright & Denise McAllister (cont western) KU
    A WILD COW WEDDING by Natalie Bright & Denise McAllister (cont western) KU
    A WILD COW CHRISTMAS by Natalie Bright & Denise McAllister (cont western) KU - about a third of the way through this one. I will read more by her.

I am listening to
    BREAK OF DAY by Colleen Coble (suspense) - her newest. Very good!

• Restfinder
    Options
    I read the prequel novella for PREACHER ON THE RUN by Jayna Baas. It was very good. It takes place during the Revolutionary War.

Still working on BARD TIDINGS by Paul Regnier. It is a fantasy, suspenseful and a bit funny.

I started FIRMAMENT: GESTERN by J Pennington a sci-fi. This is the fifth book in the series, I believe.

• connierandel
    Options
    I have heard really good things about Cindy K Sproles books and checked a couple out from the library. Whew...they were really good, but INTENSE! Especially the last one. They take place in Appalachia - East TN
    WHAT MOMMA LEFT BEHIND by Cindy K Sproles (hist)
    LIAR'S WINTER by Cindy K Sproles (hist)

I don't know what will be next, but it will be light. I have a Love Inspired romance checked out....maybe it will work.