What are you reading

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    I'm reading:
    MEMORIES OF SALT AND STONE by Maegan M. Simpson

I finished BEFORE BEAUTY and ROSE OF THE FAE both fantasies.

I'm on the third story in the HEARTS OF FIRE by Voice of the Martyrs. It's been very good.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    I am almost done with THE ENTREPRENEUR'S NURSE by Rose Fresquez (rom). I listened to the other books from this series either on YouTube or hoopla. Neither one had this book, so I promptly forgot it. I already owned it on kindle and it is by far the best of the series. It takes place in Uganda.

I finished
    SHADOW OF DECEIT by Susan Sleeman (susp) Book 1 of her new series.
    A WIDE AND PLEASANT PLACE by Valerie Comer (rom) - her books always are a nice light read.

I have a couple Donna K Weaver books and Susan May Warren's latest audio books checked out, so I don't know where I will land on audiobooks.
  • connierandel
    Oh my! I had this book checked put from KU and accidently clicked on it yesterday. I figured that as long as it was open, I might as well read it. Wow! It definitely is hitting a place in my top books of 2023. WHILE YOU WALKED BY by Regina Felty (drama). It was about a 12 year old boy that winds up homeless on the streets of Philadelphia. I read MAZIE by her a few weeks ago and it was wonderful, too.
  • Restfinder
    I added that to my KU list!

I am on the fourth woman in HEARTS OF FIRE put out by Voice of the Martyrs. Amazing stories, very inspiring. We aren't far off from going through what these women had to go through.

I'm reading four or five other books right now. One is a re-read fantasy, two others are fantasies and then there is A SUITABLE ARRANGEMENT by Martha Keyes, a Scottish Regency which has been a bit funny at the beginning. She isn't acting like herself but how her spinster cousin told her Contessas' should act and he is put off by her so he is acting like a beastly highlander!

I keep wanting to get back into SIDES which is a contemp sci fi. It's about a video game that virtually everyone everywhere got into and at Zero Hour someone was going to win a prize, but it turned out that nothing seemed to happen except the Predators began hunting the Prey for real - they became the part they were playing.

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    I've been able to read for an hour or so every night while I'm out here in Vegas. I finished Books 1 and 2 of the Aggie's Inheritance series by Chautona Havig: READY OR NOT and FOR KEEPS. I'm in the middle of Book 3 now: HERE WE COME. My Kindle Paperwhite is down to 9% which means it's not going to last much longer on this trip - and I didn't bring my charging cord for it. (It's different than the one I use for my phone.) I am happy to report I figured out how to download the book to my Surface, so I'll be able to read tonight and finish it on the plane tomorrow.
  • cmsienk
    I finished HERE WE COME and am in the middle of ANTE UP - the final book in the Chautona Havig series Aggie's Inheritance.
  • Restfinder
    Still working on the same four books - LOL!
  • cmsienk
    edited August 2023
    Have either of you read the PAST FORWARD series by Chautona Havig? It seems to be a companion series to Aggie's Inheritance. She included chapter one of the first book (I think they're just PAST FORWARD volumes 1-3) which was interesting, so I thought I'd download the series from KU. After I downloaded, the review below caught my eye - and now I'm not so sure... (It took me a minute to decipher MC as main character.)

Way Too Much Content
    Reviewed in Canada on September 18, 2020
    "1 star & 1/10 hearts. I really loved the MCs of this book, and the plot was really cool. But the further I got into this book, the more content appeared. There were so many unnecessary or vulgar mentions about women's bodies, especially breasts and bottoms. The MCs were way too touchy, and then he started basically sharing the house--he even slept in her bed during the day after his night shifts. At the end she even crawled into his bed accidentally during a nightmare. And then there was the whole marriage of convenience/sex ed issue (Willow was very ignorant about love, wifely duty, etc). So, yeah. It could have been awesome but there was way too much sex content. I was really sad because as I said, I loved the MCs, especially the hero. He was really awesome, for the most part!"
  • Restfinder
    I started reading the series and got about half-way through, but never noticed anything like bad language or perversion - that just isn't Chautona! That might be a troll to try and keep people from reading it. If you decide to read it, let us know if the review holds true.

I found HEARTS OF FIRE on Hoopla. It's put out by Voice of the Martyrs and has the stories of 6 different persecuted women around the world. It is really good. I think I saw when I was looking for this that there will be another one coming out that has 10 stories in it!

I'm working on a couple of fantasies as well.
  • cmsienk
    I'm maybe halfway through PAST FORWARD volume 1 by Chautona Havig and so far there's been nothing objectionable
  • Restfinder
    When you mentioned Past Forward I was thinking about the sequel to this series where they being a neighborhood that runs on the principles from this series! I've read all but the last couple of stories from this series and I didn't find anything bad in it. I think she gets a bit frank sometimes about personal things, but other than being a bit uncomfortable it wasn't bad. I don't talk about personal female stuff, so I get uncomfortable when I read it. I don't know how far the author will go, so I am wary, but she doesn't go too far with stuff. This was the first thing I'd read by Chautona and I had to wait patiently for each new story to come out!

Still working on the same stuff. I found HEARTS OF FIRE on Hoopla so am enjoying listening to them.
  • connierandel
    I read that series by Chautona, too, and I don't remember anything objectionable at all.
  • connierandel
    I am currently listening to
    THE WHISTLEBLOWER by R.E.(Robin( Merrill - cozy mystery with an angel involved. Just getting going on it. We will see.

I am reading:
    WRITTEN ON THE WIND by Elizabeth Camden (historical(...one of the Carol Award winning books.

A few recently read books that were really good:
    THE NEWSMAKERS by Lis Wiehl (susp)
    EVERYDAY FILLED WITH HOPE by Sheila Stovall (a couple with secrets that come out during a mission trip). A Carol.award finalist and I see why...available on KU
    THE LAST PLEA BARGAIN by Randy Singer (legal susp)
    COUNTDOWN by Lynette Eason (susp)
  • cmsienk
    I finished reading PAST FORWARD Volumes 1 -3 and am currently on Volume 4.
  • Restfinder
    I am nearing the end of HEARTS OF FIRE, such a good grouping of stories about persecuted women. I found the audio of it on Hoopla so am able to listen to it.

I'm on FORT POINT in the Susan Page Davis series. Very good.
    Re-reading a couple of fantasy stories as well.
  • connierandel
    I am currently reading THE CANDIDATE by Lis Wiehl. if is getting exciting. This is a really good series.
  • Restfinder
    I've got several books by Lis Wiehl but they seem a little creepy to me so I never got into them. I think I started one but didn't let myself get into it very far. Are they Ted Dekker creepy or are they just suspenseful?
  • connierandel
    These that I have been reading are not in the least creepy. They are suspenseful, but the intensity level isn't uncomfortable.
  • connierandel
    I finished the series by Lis Wiehl. I really have enjoyed it. I had previously read a couple of series as well as this one and they weren't creepy, but I have purposely stayed away from one series by her that look rather creepy.
    Newsmakers:
    THE NEWSMAKERS by Lis Wiehl (susp)
    THE CANDIDATE by Lis Wiehl (susp)
    THE SEPARATIST by Lis Wiehl (susp)

Currently I am reading a book that was listed under Christian Suspense on Libby, but it is really women's fiction and deals with abuse. It is a bit hard for me (first marriage was very abusive), but it is very good. I hope to finish it today, but may have to split it into a couple of sessions. CENTER OF GRAVITY by Laura McNeill (wms fict).
  • cmsienk
    I'm still working through the PAST FORWARD series by Chautona Havig - and only at night. My computer that had Quickbooks on it gave me the blue screen of death the other day and my last backup was early 2022 (!!). So I'm having to recreate all of 2023 so my taxes will go smoothly in January. It's a very long and tedious process, but I'll get through it.