Chat

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    His appointment is at 1:50 today. We will need to leave here at about 1:10 to get there, get him inside and still arrive on-time. I think it will be a good appointment. He just seems to be doing so well. Hopefully he will be able to actually take the boot off for sleep and showers, but we will see.
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Kim! May you be enveloped by the love of family and friends on your special day. I treasure your friendship and pray God's blessings on you each day of the coming year, through mountaintops and valleys.

Now... how are you celebrating today?
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Connie, how did yesterday's appointment go? I hope Bill had a good night.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    In our service on Sunday our pastor (in his 70's) was encouraging the youth to use their youth wisely because there will come a time when they just won't be able to do the things that they can now! Amen to that! They need to be the ones doing the hard work needed in the body, the building, the tree chopping, the gardening, etc... We old people just can't do those things any more, at least not like the youth can. I can't bend over and plant a garden - a few plants, but not like needs to be done in these days ahead. Stuff like that they can easily do and need to catch a vision for what can be done. Our youth are awesome!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Carole! I hope you have a wonderful day. Wade got me some flowers since I couldn't tell him anything that I needed. LOL!

Carole, Mom lives with us. She's been in the same house with us for several years, but living in a basement apartment. She had those two bad falls last year (although not her only falls) and we knew when we moved she was going to have to be with us, in our space. She's had other falls, one that took her to the emergency room but nothing was broken and that is because she has cognitive dementia - she can't think about more than one thing at a time and she can't remember that she isn't supposed to bend over or lean over to get something when she has that other something on her mind. I don't want to take away her independence and have her just give up either. It's hard to know what to do to keep her safe - bubble wrap??? She was making her bed yesterday and was sitting on the bed turning around to get to the sheets - she slid off the bed and landed on her bum. Praise the Lord she wasn't hurt, but it's those kinds of things. I made her bed this morning! It's sad watching her lose more and more of herself, but she remembers everyone and can, on occasion, have a real conversation, especially when she is talking about the past. Your prayers for wisdom and patience would be very much appreciated.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Bill's doctor's appointment went very well. The foot is funny looking without the toe, but looks good. He put the boot back on it and told us that he still had to wear it 24/7, no showers etc. On the 9th we go back to have the stitches removed, so hopefully at that point he will be able to put weight on it. I don't know about getting back to regular shoes and walking, but we will see.

I was very surprised that he didn't want any kind of dressing or medication on it and didn't want us cleaning it. I'm having a bit of a hard time not wanting to at least spray it with something! He did want me to put a toeless compression sock on the leg to decrease swelling, but that was fine because he wears compression socks all of the time, and I bought him a few without toes when we were fighting the wound.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    The toeless kind of compression socks are my favorites, but I just can't wear them anymore because they strangle my ankle. Right now my calf ends abruptly (as per the lipedema) and then my ankle goes in quite a bit, but now my feet are swelling, so I end up with the base of my calf hitting against my swollen foot - feels odd! My ankle is just swallowed up.

I'm glad that Bill is doing so well after his surgery.

Didn't do much for my birthday yesterday. I enjoyed a slice of pecan pie. Today I am back on my plan! I ran out of my protein drinks so I made one using my protein powder - yuck! I ended up making it a smoothie using some frozen berries and my peanut butter powder. Much more palatable.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Kim, I know it's hard to watch your Mom's declining health, but you're doing a great job with her. Caregiving isn't easy and I'm thankful for those times where real conversation is still possible. I think the past is what many people remember most easily. Praying for wisdom and patience each day, Kim.

Connie, it's good that steady progress is being made, even if Bill has to wear the boot for another week. Dwight has worn compression socks in the past and probably should be now, but his doctor hasn't mentioned it yet.

I spent most of yesterday washing four loads of clothes that Dwight had let accumulate, then had a wonderful time going out to eat with Beth and Daniel at an upscale barbecue place called Southern Craft. Kind of taking it easy today.

Where is Cindy? I thought she might be travelling on a job, but it's been a while. Just wondered.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I was wondering about Cindy, too. I hope that everything is okay.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    I miss Cindy and wrote her a note.

Connie and Kim, do you use this website for tracking food and exercise? If so, do you use the free or premium? I did a little looking around and it seems similar to what Spark was in the beginning. I also checked out SparkAmerica - the home page, that is - and it's way too fancy and professional for me. Not my thing at all. I imagine the Spark creator was able to make a lucrative deal with his membership database.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole - I am not purchasing the premium because the free version works fine for me. I did have the purchased version of sparkpeople when they offered a one time purchase and it got rid of all the ads that were getting in the way. I do use it to track my foods and exercise. I think I like the food tracker better than sparkpeople's because it has more of the actual brands that I use. I'm used to now, so it is working. I also like how the exercise tracker interacts with the food tracker and adds in calories, carbs, etc to go along with your extra exercise.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I just saw that one of my very favorite friends has joined our group. I don't think she has joined discussions, but WELCOME Tracy! @martetracy74
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Welcome, Tracy!

Carole, I too did the paid thing for SP to get rid of the ads. The ads aren't overwhelming here and I wouldn't use all the stuff offered on the premium. I too really like this food tracker, it's very easy. It took me a bit to find where I can change my goals for the tracker, but I was able to put some stuff where I want it to be.

We miss you Cindy! I hope all is well.

No news on my Covid test yet. They said it could take one to six days, but usually they are back in one or two days so I will try and be patient!

• pianolady831
    Options
    Tracy, we're glad to have you here and look forward to you joining our discussions soon.

Connie, how did Bill's appointment go today?

Fall is my favorite season of the year and I'm already noticing a few changing leaves, mainly dogwoods. For the first time in many years, I'm in a place where there's a real fall season, as leaves didn't turn until close to Thanksgiving in Atlanta. When I went grocery shopping today, I saw a display of mums from a local grower and couldn't resist, as they were priced at what I thought was a great deal, $5.99. Bought two colors, yellow and rust, and will watch for something like a maroon.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Like those choices of colors, Carole! I need to get some and put them out by the flag I have on the other side of the fence. "Gone Coastal". My friend got it for me when we moved here!

Didn't do too badly yesterday with my eating. Traded out my smoothie for a PB and J. Ordered from Walmart and got some bison meat and will make a burger with that and roast some green beans and make some sweet potato fries with the green beans in the air fryer. I looked at bags of pre-made sweet potato fries but they all had sugar added and a few other things, so I decided to just buy the potatoes and make my own with some coconut oil and pink salt. I may sprinkle them with a little bit of cinnamon too since that is good for me!

Still waiting for the results of my Covid test - ugh, can't do the vaccination until then.

Oh, I saw on the news today a reporter who made mention of the lasting effects of immunity from having had Covid and how this government is very quiet about it. I've read articles that say that the immunity from having had Covid is stronger than the vaccine - but I haven't seen any science past the 8 month mark, so since we had it 18 months ago we want to be safe from the variants coming out and will get the vaccination.
  • connierandel
    Options
    My mom went and got her vaccine today. Bill and I will go as soon as I think he is up to walking that far into WalMart. They give them all day with no appointment. I could take the chair and not have any problems - but I hate to get him used to it, again.

Carole - Bill did great. The toe is healing really well and there are no issues. He can walk on the heel now, and put full weight on the foot mid-week. He still has to wear the cast almost 24/7, but can now shower without it, and can take it off for about 30 minutes if he is sitting with it elevated and watching TV. He does still have to wear to sleep, though, because they are afraid he might hit it or something while sleeping. He goes back 2 weeks from Monday and I hope he will be fully released then. He is really tired of the brace/cast.

I don't know what we will do about church. He scares me on the steps into and out of the house. The cast is really bigger than the stairs. He has big feet, anyway and then with that huge thing over it, it as big as a boat! I didn't think about it until he went down the stairs on Monday (first time down). I was right below him walking down backwards to keep an eye on him. It seemed a lot more secure going up the steps.

I love mums, but just don't have any luck with flowers of any kind. I have "planted" silk flowers the last two years. When I did it the first time, my BIL watered them...then looked closer and came upstairs to ask me if I really planted silk flowers. He kept telling me all year that he thought they were growing.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Connie, do you have guys in your Church that would be willing to give Bill a hand getting in and out? Mom is the same way, Wade has to help her up and down the stairs. If he's not there, I walk in front of her going down so if she falls she'll fall into me. She really struggled going up the other day catching her foot on the step and Wade had to steady her. That's so funny about the flowers! Mom is the green thumb. You should see the Morning Glory plants we have around our light post - all leaves, no flowers, but I think because they are in a pot they are just able to feed the leaves without any energy left to make flowers. I haven't watered it hoping it will die back, but it just won't give up!
  • connierandel
    Options
    Kim...getting into the church isn't the issue. It is getting out of our house. It is 13 steps that scare me. His cast is bigger than the stairs. He gets up them better than going down. We live 10 miles from the church, in a totally different city and county. No close neighbors that go there.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Connie, those 13 steps would scare me too! I'm thankful for the good progress that is being made, though. If I were in your place, I think I would wait two more weeks until the cast can be taken off - unless Bill is insisting on going to church, that is. Does your church stream the services? That's been a good option for us at times.

I love your "silk planting" idea and did it all the time before we moved. But then we had a full finished basement in which to store seasonal plants. Our only storage here is a little building at the back of our yard and I'm not eager to carry things back and forth. Our house is close to a quiet street and has a pretty front porch. The previous owners left a decorative plant holder, which gave me the idea for getting a seasonal live flower. Worked great with a pot of geraniums that Beth fixed for me. Now I'm trying it with mums.

Kim, you're right about hearing very little, if anything, on the news about immunity from having had Covid. I think they keep silent about anything that doesn't fit into their strategy.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole - that's pretty much what I am thinking, too. If he gets stir crazy, maybe we will try it next week.after he can put full weight on it. I would feel better, anyway. I'm not totally sure if I can get him up and settled in time for me to go, but I may go by myself.

Our church doesn't do live stream. The pastor does post the audio of the service after the fact.on Right Now media. We do have 3 good friends that pastor and have live streaming, so.we just have to decide if we are going locally, to Missouri or to Texas!
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,331 Member
    Options
    My mom went and got her vaccine today. Bill and I will go as soon as I think he is up to walking that far into WalMart. They give them all day with no appointment. I could take the chair and not have any problems - but I hate to get him used to it, again.

Carole - Bill did great. The toe is healing really well and there are no issues. He can walk on the heel now, and put full weight on the foot mid-week. He still has to wear the cast almost 24/7, but can now shower without it, and can take it off for about 30 minutes if he is sitting with it elevated and watching TV. He does still have to wear to sleep, though, because they are afraid he might hit it or something while sleeping. He goes back 2 weeks from Monday and I hope he will be fully released then. He is really tired of the brace/cast.

I don't know what we will do about church. He scares me on the steps into and out of the house. The cast is really bigger than the stairs. He has big feet, anyway and then with that huge thing over it, it as big as a boat! I didn't think about it until he went down the stairs on Monday (first time down). I was right below him walking down backwards to keep an eye on him. It seemed a lot more secure going up the steps.

I love mums, but just don't have any luck with flowers of any kind. I have "planted" silk flowers the last two years. When I did it the first time, my BIL watered them...then looked closer and came upstairs to ask me if I really planted silk flowers. He kept telling me all year that he thought they were growing.

Sorry I've been so scarce - a lot going on here. I just wanted to suggest you do a little more research before getting the vaccine. It was designed to fight the specific Covid 19 virus and is not effective against the variants. Also, this vaccine takes over your immune system, becoming dominant to your natural immune system.
    I'm trying to paste a link... and there's a second one that I'll look for.(I think I have to do that in my own box.)