Chat

Options

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,336 Member
    Options
    Praise the Lord, I think I am at the end of this cold! Still some congestion, but better than it was. God is so very good!
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Well, I decided against the haircut. Maybe Saturday, and maybe i will just do myself again.

We finally were approved for a hospital bed. It took almost a month to get it, but they called last week and said the bed would be delivered today. Absolutely nothing went according to my plan! But God knew and had the right people on the job. It's ready for tonight. Whew! This whole thing was hanging by a very thin thread, but God worked everything out.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Praise the Lord, Connie, that will help immensely in taking care of Bill!

Still have a lot of congestion. Am coughing a little bit more today as well. Sigh, this one is going to hang on, I'm afraid. I just need to take it easy and let my body heal, which it doesn't do as well as it used to when I didn't have all these years on me!

I hope y'all have an awesome day and are able to worship this evening. Love you!
  • connierandel
    edited May 16
    Options
    I have been working on trying to get mom's CDs moved to Kansas as they mature. She had two that came due last week so I sent the copies Certified Mail to the bank. They were to go 200 miles from KC. From here to Springfield to Dixon. It made it to Spfld, then went to Albuquerque, NM and hung out for several days, then was in transit for a week before getting back to Spfld. It took a 2 week vacation! Anyway the bank did a "missing CD affidavit" and took care of the issue. Another is coming due and I asked the post office on how to send it. She recommended Priority, so we will see.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Oh my - now, that was snail mail!

Well, I'm on day 11 of having this cold. Eek! I'm so out of it, I missed a voice mail from the 6th from my doctor. I listened to it yesterday and can't even remember the note in my patient portal that I had sent. I'll send another note just updating them. I hate to call, they'll want me to come in and that just isn't something I want to do right now!

I hope y'all have a very good rest of your week. Love you
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,358 Member
    edited May 16
    Options
    I'm flying home from Boston this afternoon and can't wait to get home. I have an ophthalmologist appointment tomorrow at 8. I had some faint flashing in my right eye while I was at dinner with my colleagues Tuesday night and then noticed some black floaties that made me think a bug was flying close to my face.
    (Great.) I made the appointment during my quick lunch break on Wednesday just to make sure it isn't anything more than my aging eyes reminding me I'm getting older. Reminds me of what my grandma always used to say: growing old isn't for sissies
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    No Cindy, growing old definitely isn't for sissies. At the grocery store the other day, there was something toward the back of a lower shelf that I wanted. I knelt down, thinking I could easily get back up, then realized it wasn't going to be all that easy. The sweetest lady came by about that time and offered to help. Having her hold the cart steady was all I needed, but I felt a little foolish and was sure glad she offered.

I've attached a photo of a plant that was given to me in memory of Dwight. I think it's called a Lenten rose. Beth planted it for me and, contrary to my track record with plants, I've managed to keep it alive so far. Do you all know anything about it?

vhxp107ya6q5.jpg
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I looked up "lenten rose" and that sure is what it looks like. It basically said it likes good draining soil but likes to stay moist and partial shade. That is very beautiful! Love the color. I've never had anything like it. It kind of looks like the rose plants that grow wild on fences, they have that single row of petals.

Still coughing and having a lot of head congestion as well. This is day 12 now. We've been doing Zoom meetings because of all the sickness in our little Church, so hopefully we'll be able to meet in person soon! I started out with a mildly sore throat which went into a sore throat, then a mildly sore throat with head congestion, then no sore throat but more head congestion, then head and chest congestion and it's stayed there! I think most everyone has had the sore throat, and some just had that, then others had that, seemed to get better then got the other stuff. Our pastor's wife got to the end of it and then ended up with a sinus infection - ugh! I think the Bible says that in the last days there will be pestilence?!!

I hope y'all are well. Praise the Lord for passersby who are willing to give us a hand! I'm glad that I have several things in my bedroom closeby that I can use when my leg gives out. I've started to get dressed and undressed facing my bed, that way, if I fall I will fall into my bed and be able to get up much more easily! LOL!

Love y'all bunches.

• cmsienk
    edited May 17
    Options
    Oh I started to answer, Carole, and then got side-tracked. I ran your picture through my plant app and it is, indeed a lenten rose, which is in the buttercup family. And it is lovely.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Thanks for checking on the plant, Kim and Cindy. You had better luck searching than I did. I thought the Lenten rose was a great remembrance idea and I would be upset if it didn't live. Good to know it's in the buttercup family, Cindy. Glad you had a plant app to use. Several of my friends here in east TN are into hiking and enjoying wildflowers, and I think they use an app.

I am so blessed to have Beth and Daniel close by. They love to garden and surprised me with a small raised bed. Daniel built and stained the frame, then brought it over and Beth filled it with potting soil. I now have 4 tomato and 2 squash plants that I can see from my bedroom window. Also 2 marigolds that are supposed to help keep the deer away. The deer around here seem pretty determined, so we shall see.

Connie, Dwight never did trust the Post Office with important documents. I think Priority mail was good advice, though. It's slowed down some, but I'm still dealing with paperwork in relation to Dwight. Beth is good at helping me.

Kim, I pray that your 12-days of cough/congestion come to an end soon. Love all of you.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    There are a couple of plants that I miss from our Hickory yard, a Flowering Pomegranate, it had orange pods that broke into orange flowers. We had to remove it to get Mom's driveway in. I also had a Clematis, but those are pretty common so I can see them as we drive around. I miss my purple azalea-type bush, but found a very good one that is quite similar. It's already had several lilac-colored flowers on it and it's only about 9" high! Wade and I both would love to find a medium-sized palm tree for our side yard, but they are expensive! Eek! Some day I am going to plant some lilies somewhere. I had a couple of different kinds in my Hickory yard and just loved them. Well, enough of that. I love the color of your rose, Carole - that was similar to my favorite lilies! And the red leaves are beautiful.

Still sick. The cough seems to be a bit better, but I'm still getting gobs of stuff out of my head! Well, that was icky! Praise the Lord the sore throat is long gone. Still struggling with fatigue and Wade is pretty much doing everything around here. It's been hard not being able to give him his morning kiss before I go in to do my study on my computer!

Praying for y'all! Love you
  • connierandel
    Options
    Carole, the plant is beautiful. I have the worst luck with plants, so I usually just stay away from them.

Kim, praying that you start feeling better soon! I am doing everything possible to keep from getting sick. I have enough on my hands, and I sure don't want to pass something to Bill.

We did fairly well with Bill's new bed, but he has been having some back pain. I don't know if it is from a new bed, or because I had to eliminate a couple of things from his food supplement regime. I did some research and am adding one back in and taking one out. I'm hoping that will help.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Thanks, Connie. I kept the Lenten rose in my kitchen in a pot for a few weeks until the weather was suitable for planting. It just has green leaves now and will hopefully bloom again in the early spring. My grandmother was great with plants, as is Beth, but that talent skipped me for some reason. Even something as simple as watering... I could never figure out too much vs. not enough.

Dwight slept in a hospital bed for years and it seemed to help him. And with food supplements or meds, it's a balancing act most of the time. While Dwight was in rehab, there were several days when he couldn't exercise because his blood pressure dropped too low, yet the meds that had that side effect couldn't be eliminated because they were essential for other things.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    I thought I'd try something... For a few years, I've collected artwork on my computer to use in a jigsaw puzzle program. It's fun and I've grown to love the work of several artists. One of my favorite themes is churches and I'd like to share a church image on Sundays, which are such special days to us. The first is by the artist Bill Saunders.

4s9urwmm0gx5.jpg
  • cmsienk
    edited May 20
    Options
    Well, that's beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

I'm in Colorado Springs, CO this week for a work program. We're staying at the Broadmoor hotel and it is really nice. (REALLY nice.) I did not take these pictures - they're from the web.

yubhsgc18y0u.png

ouzb9f7whmjk.png
  • pianolady831
    Options
    Cindy, you're in such a beautiful place! Both the hotel and the mountains around Colorado Springs. I hope you get some free time to explore your surroundings. WAY back in the 70s, my parents and I took a trip out west and I remember driving through the area. Breathtaking mountain scenery! And I bet your hotel has some great amenities.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I was 11 when we took a trip to Colorado, we stayed with friends of my parents in Fort Collins! I loved it. I want the room that is in that little tower so I can see the water and the mountains! LOL! What a gorgeous place.

I used to love to bring sad plants back to life, but for some reason the green has leeched out of my thumb and now I just make plants sad. I'm like you Carole, how to water them just right! I do have a Christmas Cactus that was Mom's and I'm babying it along - being a succulent I can water it every couple of weeks and it's happy. I also have another bowl of succulents that I keep beside the cactus, and it gets a drink at the same time. So far it's rained enough I haven't had to worry about the outdoor stuff! Phew!

Feeling better today, not coughing as much or blowing my nose as much. I did go to the eye doctor this morning with a mask on. I told them it was to protect them, not me! They appreciated that I bothered! I do have high pressure in my eyes, but the nerves look good so no diagnosis of glaucoma yet, I'm just a glaucoma suspect! I also have a problem with the oil being too thick in my eyes. I've had a problem with itching on the edges of my lids and she said that was why. It can cause a sty (which I haven't had since a kid), so I will use the eye wipes that she suggested a couple of years ago quite a bit more faithfully! Other than that, my prescriptions have stayed pretty much the same, so I won't need new glasses. Woohoo!

Love the picture, Carole. Growing up I never knew my Mom liked to paint. I knew my grandfather was a graphic artist for his work and I'd seen some of his drawings, but I'd never seen my Mom paint. She is 88 now and has won awards for her painting. I have two things that she painted for Wade and I, one is a plaque for our front entry, and the other is a painting of us on our wedding day, it's really nice. Until I got that I didn't know that she could do that! It's been 36 years since we've had a relationship, and she'd done most of her art work in that time. Sad, but her choice.

Well, I hope that y'all have an awesome evening. Love you.
  • pianolady831
    Options
    I didn't know your Mom was an artist, Kim. What type of art has she done... landscape, figurative, or something else? And did I understand that you haven't had a relationship in many years? Also, I have another plant I need to ask you about, probably need to take a picture. Church friends brought it to Dwight while he was in rehab and it's still living on my kitchen windowsill. I think it's some type of cactus, but not sure.

I'm still thinking about our church service last Sunday, which was moving. It celebrated Pentecost and included several people reading Scripture in various languages - German, Spanish, Hebrew, Greek, Afrikaans, etc. One passage was from Acts 2, another Ezekiel 37. I was intrigued by the Ezekiel text about the valley of dry bones and explored it a little. I think it refers to the restoration of Israel, which is always an interesting theme. Did any of your churches do anything special?
  • connierandel
    Options
    Cindy, what a gorgeous hotel! We went to Colorado every year for about 10 years, and camped with my parents in Rocky Mountain National Park. Bill and I went back a couple times after they didn't feel they could make the trip anymore. We usually did something special before meeting them. Several years it was Colorado Springs, sometimes South Dakota and Wyoming, sometimes a trip through Minden, Nebraska.

I have not been able to go to church since February, when I had Kip to watch Bill. I was in Dixon for the month of March with no babysitter, and now. Anyway, I will be playing the piano for a couple of Sundays in June and I can't wait! It is a good excuse to ask the girls to babysit their Dad and I get to go to church. We have rehearsal on Sunday am at 9:15 and the direct route from our house to church is closed until December. It is almost 2x as far going another way, so almost a half hour. That makes from 8:45 till almost 1pm that they will have to be there, but they don't mind on an infrequent basis. There is also a rehearsal on Wednesday evening that I will try to either get Bill to with me to the service and then rehearsal afterwards. If that doesn't work, I will just go for the rehearsal and leave Bill for a little over an hour. He will be okay, I just don't like to do it. I didn't commit to playing for Wednesday. The church secretary can play the hymns, and that is what we sing on Wednesday, so I didn't offer.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Carole, we didn't have anything special for Sunday service. I was out again with this cold as were a couple of others, but, praise the Lord, most everyone was there. Your service sounds awesome!

I think I am finally getting over this. I still have quite a bit of congestion in my head, but the cough is mostly over - I think what I cough now is from the postnasal drip! I was reading up on a cold lasting so long and they said that the nasal passages may take awhile to drain because of all that they accumulate, but at this point I'm probably not contagious anymore. I hope not, I kissed Wade for the first time in 2.5 weeks yesterday - well, other than a kiss on the cheek or forehead (blush).
    This is a URL to some of my Mom's paintings.
    https://newcaa.com/portfolio-item/bette-schumann/
    Yes, you did hear right, I haven't had a relationship with any of my family for about 35 years. My family disagreed with how Wade and I were following the leading of the Lord and were very vocal about it. I asked them to apologize and promise not to say those terrible things anymore if they wanted a relationship with me - they wouldn't agree so they cut off our relationship. I have looked up my Mom on the internet and have seen some of her paintings. I had no idea painting was so important to her, she never did it while we were growing up. She mostly paints from pictures and a while back she was in a contest with others who painted the dome of the statehouse in their county. Apparently, she's won prizes for her paintings. Wow. The one she did for Wade and I is really nice. I need to take a picture of it and put it on.

Connie, I'm so excited that you will finally be able to participate again!

Have a wonderful day! Love you and pray for you.