Larger Loser Recipes!

Options
conniewilkins56
conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
Please remember to include measurements and baking time and temperatures as well as ingredients!

Can’t wait to see all the great recipes!….everyone is welcome to post recipes!….Yum!

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    Tuna Noodle Casserole
    350 degrees for 40 minutes

6 oz. cooked noodles….600 calories
    1 cup frozen petite peas…..140 calories
    4 oz. diced and cooked celery and onion…20 calories
    1 small can tuna, drained….100 calories
    1 can Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup….125 calories
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 tsp dried Parsley flakes

Mix together and pour in Pan or Oil sprayed casserole dish
    Cover with foil for 35 minutes
    Sprinkle 4 tsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese on top and bake 5 more minutes….40 calories ( optional )

This makes 2 large servings at 500 to 510 calories each!

I fixed this tonight with tri colored noodles…next time I think I would use 2/3 cup peas and a little more cheese on top….husband liked it, too!

• eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The lentil sloppy joes I've been having for lunch this week. They freeze really well!

1 tbsp, Olive Oil
    1 medium, Green bell pepper
    1 medium, Onion
    1 cup, water
    1 cup, Beef or vegetable broth/stock
    3 clove, Garlic
    0.25 cup, Ketchup
    3 tbsp, Tomato Paste
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tbsp, Brown Sugar
    1 tsp, Spices, chili powder
    1 tsp, Mustard, prepared, yellow
    1 tbsp(s), Vinegar, cider
    1 cup, Lentils, raw
    4 or 8 oz(s), Tomato Sauce (the original recipe calls for 8 oz...my recipe on mfp has 4 oz, I'm not sure which I used)

Cook onions and peppers until soft. Add garlic, water, and lentils and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, simmer 25 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, cook for another 10-15 minutes until thickened up. Serve over your favorite bun.

Full recipe: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/lentil-sloppy-joes/#wprm-recipe-container-179695
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    This sounds good….the calorie count said 266 each for 8 servings…I assume the bun is extra?
  • eliezalot
    Options
    This sounds good….the calorie count said 266 each for 8 servings…I assume the bun is extra?

Ah, good eye! The website calorie estimate includes the bun! I copied the ingredients from my recipe builder, where the bun is separate and missed that. It is a lot of food for very few calories! I'll add my calorie estimates to the next one :smile:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Now I am really going to try this!
  • eliezalot
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Greek yogurt fudgesicles
    Makes about 6 pops, 83 calories per pop.

1 cup plain Greek Yogurt (I used 2%)
    3/4 C low-fat milk (I used skim)
    6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    60 g honey
    1 Tbsp cornstarch

Blend everything together (I used an immersion blender), spoon into popsicle mold, freeze.
    You can leave out the cornstarch, but it helps keep the pop from getting so icy (more fudgesicle texture - husband appoved!). The sweetener can of course be changed or adjusted to taste.

I adapted the above from this original recipe: https://www.weightwatchers.com/ca/en/recipe/greek-yogourt-fudgesicles/5732fdfa311dd6da143618d4

I promise this is the last one for today, but it is HOT out and this seemed necessary! :lol:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Greek yogurt fudgesicles

HALT!

Explain how to modify with 0% oikos greek yogurt.... 0% yoplait sucralose sweetened yogurt... silk unsweetened vanilla flavoured cashew milk (mine) or 2% plain milk (to be stolen from others) or carnation "skim" milk powder.

Please use small words and easy to follow action sequences suitable for heat impacted catatonic hamsters which is all I'm operating with!

Can also provide blueberries, frozen banana, and watermelon which are fall back positions!

I do note that commercial fudgesicles come in at about 80-100 Cal... so not too far off: are these bigger, better, stronger?
  • eliezalot
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    eliezalot wrote: »
    Greek yogurt fudgesicles

HALT!

Explain how to modify with 0% oikos greek yogurt.... 0% yoplait sucralose sweetened yogurt... silk unsweetened vanilla flavoured cashew milk (mine) or 2% plain milk (to be stolen from others) or carnation "skim" milk powder.

Please use small words and easy to follow action sequences suitable for heat impacted catatonic hamsters which is all I'm operating with!

Can also provide blueberries, frozen banana, and watermelon which are fall back positions!

I do note that commercial fudgesicles come in at about 80-100 Cal... so not too far off: are these bigger, better, stronger?

Essentially replace the yogurt/milk with the same amount of your preferred yogurt/milk!

Yogurt -
    • 0% Oikos greek yogurt - would work equally well.
    • 0% Yoplait sucralose sweetened - you may want to reduce the honey (to taste), as well as the milk (since yoplait isn't as thick as the greek yogurt). Maybe start with half the milk and add from there. The texture should be gloppy, not runny or pourable, but not so thick that you can't spoon it into popsicle molds. Kind of pudding-like, I think.

Milk -
    • Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk - I'm not sure how it would freeze up, but seems worth a try. May make for an icier pop?
    • 2% - Easy substitution that should work perfectly
    • Skim milk powder - Unsure how well this would work, I'd try either of the other milks first I think.

Calorie-wise, they are fairly equivalent to commercial fudgesicles. Yogurt makes them a bit tangier, and I like that I get some extra protein from the greek yogurt. For me, the deciding factor was craving fudgesicles the day I walked to the grocery store, and having no way to buy them and get them home without melting in the heat.

Also, you can definitely swap out flavors or add in fruit! I made some with strawberries, and I plan on making some with PB2 for my next batch (maybe chocolate PB2 banana?). Maybe swap some coffee for the milk and make mocha fudgesicles?
  • eliezalot
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Chaat Salad
    (adapted from Meera Sodha's "Made in India" cookbook)
    Serves 4
    240 calories per serving

1 English cucumber (about 10 oz)
    7 oz radishes
    1 small bunch of green onions, whites thinly sliced
    Seeds from 1 pomegranate (or 1 small container of seeds from the store)
    1 oz cilantro, stems and leaves, finely chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp black mustard seeds
    1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry with paper towel
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    Juice from 1/2 a lemon
    2 tbsp desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
    1/2 tsp chaat masala (optional)

Chop the cucumber and radish into chickpea sized pieces, add to serving bowl. Add the thinly sliced green onions, pomegranate seeds, and cilantro.

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat, when hot, add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the chickpeas. Cook for about 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas begin to crisp up. Add the cayenne, chili powder, salt, sugar, and lemon juice, and stir for a few moments. Remove from heat and stir in the dried coconut.

Add the chickpea mixture to the serving bowl, toss, and top with a sprinkle of chaat masala (optional).

Fabulous on its own, also try with a spoonful of mint yogurt chutney.
  • eliezalot
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Mint Yogurt Chutney
    (adapted from Meera Sodha's "Made in India"
    Serves 4
    23 calories per serving

5 tbsp non-fat greek yogurt
    1/2 oz mint
    1 green chile (jalapenos or serranos are good), roughly chopped
    Juice from 1/2 a lemon
    2 tsp sugar
    pinch of salt

Blend all ingredients together in food processor, blender, or (personal favorite), in a mason jar using an immersion blender. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    serves 4
    estimated 150-200 calories per serving

2 large green tomatoes
    2 large eggs, separated
    2 Tbsp almond flour
    all purpose flour for dusting
    salt to taste
    oil for frying

Heat enough oil in a pan to make around 1/4 of an inch deep at least. Oil should sizzle if a sprinkle of water is thrown in.

slice the tomatoes. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, like a meringue. Fold in the egg yolks and almond flour. To lower calories and cholesterol, you can omit the egg yolks all together if you'd like.

Lightly dust the tomato slices with all purpose flour, then dip in the egg white batter, coating both sides.

Place tomato slices in oil in the pan. Fry around 3 minutes or so, until lightly brown, then flip and fry another 2 minutes or so, until to your preferred brownness. Remember that the longer they fry, the more oil they will absorb.

Drain on paper towels to get as much oil back out as you can.

Serve with a low calorie sauce, such as greek yogurt ranch dressing.

*note: I did not measure out oil to figure out how much is actually absorbed into the food and how much oil evaporated; I simply added in a certain amount of olive oil to the recipe to estimate the amount of oil taken in.

if you want to avoid the oil entirely, try baking them at around 400 degrees F at about 8 minutes each side or more, depending on the level of tenderness, or sticking them under a broiler for a minute or two each side. if you try these non-oil methods, let us know how they turned out!

• PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I think my 🐹 h8s u 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have you ever tried lightening the recipe? For example using or not using the flour and deep fry process vs a quick sear using spray or somewhere in that continuum?

I'm definitely trying the vinegar trick the next time I boil potatoes and the wedge formation, that looks awesome ❣️
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I haven't really had the nerve to try changing the recipe. My great-aunt would probably maul me to death with a rolling pin lol

Twould work though. The flour helps with thickening the sauce some, but it can be optional. Less oil in the pan would result in a more balanced dish calorie wise without losing much of the searing process/flavors.
    And you can always go for oven baked chips, carrots and sweet potatoes could pair nice with the meat.
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Laurie I will tell you the secret of Dante's not yet posted recipe which I've never made from a recipe book, thus I can guarantee is not authentic at all!

Random amount of onion (half to one large red or white) and garlic (I use *lots*, like 30+g) in the non stick pot and pan, in our world probably using tiny amount of spray.

Dump the frozen bag 🤣 of green bean like objects in the pot, about 1kg.

Also works beautifully with frozen peas. Also works beautifully with frozen peas and carrots. Also works beautifully with.... 😹😇

Dump a can of regular or Italian spiced or low sodium tomatoes in the mix. In my case probably the pieces or crushed instead of whole..

Get a cube or two of Knorr or use some powdered from the jar (I've been using the veggie Knorr version made with mushrooms lately). Eye ball it as if the tomatoes were water for a saltier result, or quite a bit less otherwise. I wouldn't put more than a couple of cubes for 750ml tomatoes

Put in some potatoes if you've used watery tomato sauce, you may need to add some water if you've used crushed tomatoes.

Boil the 💩 out of all this at a low heat🤣

The trick is how you balance the illegal sriracha you will stir in there against the traditional tablespoon of sugar, or the non-traditional two or three drops of sucralose (or a couple of the little round sucralose pills that they sell).

Oh yes, you're supposed to be using olive oil instead of spray! A gratuitous five grams or so halfway through does improve the look and taste if you've gone with spray cooking in the beginning 😇

On a poverty 🐹 budget you can probably skip. On a Bella and Dante I'm happy with small portions instead of the whole pot 🐹 budget it does add to the taste and you should maybe even use more!

See @Dante_80 's explanation below❣️

Ignore his PAV-cidal advice which will land you in trouble with 🐹 authorities and experiment in the continuum.

I admit that I will incorporate his wine next time I'm making some!

By the way mine can also be made with sausages! Yes really you can cut a snausage or two in there and thus skip any additional lipids 🤣😇

And what's even better all this can be eaten warm as soon as you're done making it, at room temperature if you've left it out for a bit, cold right out of the fridge, nuked for a few seconds... with traditional bread and feta cheese... over regular or even cauliflower rice when you get down to it... anyway you slice or dice it❣️❣️❣️
  • Dante_80
    edited August 2021
    Options
    This was requested.

Greek green bean and olive oil stew

Ingredients (4-6 portions)
    1 medium onion
    100ml olive oil
    1 clove of garlic (I go for two but YMMV)
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    500g potatoes (3 medium or 2 large ones)
    1 full tablespoon tomato paste
    50g white wine
    lemon zest, of 1 lemon
    400g canned tomatoes
    300g water
    1 vegetable bouillon cube (or 1 teaspoon of bouillon powder - I use Knorr)
    1kg green beans, fresh or frozen
    1/3 bunch mint (optional)
    2 spring onions
    1/3 bunch parsley (not optional!)
    salt
    pepper

To serve
    200 g feta cheese, optional
    1 tablespoon(s) oregano, dry
    2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
    3-4 slices bread

Procedure
    Place a pot over high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
    Coarsely chop the onion and add to the pot.
    Mince the garlic and add it to the pot along with the sugar. Sauté until the onion softens.
    Peel the potatoes, cut them into pieces and add them to the pot.
    Add the tomato paste and wine. Mix until the alcohol evaporates.
    Add the lemon zest, chopped tomatoes, water and bouillon cube.
    Chop the edges off of the green beans, add them to the pot and mix.
    Cover pot with lid, lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 40-50 minutes.
    Remove pot from heat and add the (mint,) parsley, the green part of the spring onions finely chopped, salt, pepper and 80 g of olive oil.

Mix and serve with feta cheese drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with oregano along with slices of bread.

• Dante_80
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Now, I know that this sounds like a lot of oil. But this dish is supposed to have it, it is a lathero (λαδερό)
    Lathera are a whole category of Greek recipes where vegetables are cooked in olive oil and tomato along with herbs.

We eat this as a main course along with bread and feta cheese.

Don't skimp on it, divided to portions it is not bad at all caloric wise (less than 450 for each serving). Together with 30gr of feta and a rye bread slice it should net you around 650-700 for the whole meal.

Lastly, kill PAVs recipe above with fire and extreme prejudice! :p