Larger Loser Recipes!

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    PAV - you are better than this sad college boy amateur effort for a meal. However, since you are ailing you get a pass. Hoping in the future to see some effort commensurate with your culinary talent.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Young at heart and all that😹
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    i think it sounds pretty good, but would have added some cottage cheese for protein and creaminess :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    The weather has finally cooled sufficiently to consider making chili. Texas chili is strictly a fiery meat product - no beans allowed. I’m thinking of making Cincinnati chili with ground turkey/chicken. The original recipe comes from the Skyline restaurant in Cincinnati. The owners were middle eastern so the chili has unusual spices - cinnamon, chocolate. Kind of Mexican mole but not so many ingredients and fewer hot peppers. Cheese, onions, beans on the side. Oh - and it’s served over spaghetti. I usually use spiralized zucchini instead of the pasta.
  • TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Dipping my toes into the group and this looks like a thread that I will visit often for inspiration.
    In the interests of sharing - here's one of my favorite dinner recipes.

Pork meatballs, spinach & tomato sauce on pasta.
    The recipe below makes 6 servings.
    Left plate is a 3000KJ Serving (Approx 750KCals)

Meatball Ingredients
    1000 Grams of Pork (Substitute for any other kind of meat you like!)
    1 Sachet of Maggi Onion Soup Mix
    1 Cup of Panko Bread Crumbs (Substitute for any other kind of breadcrumbs is fine)
    2 Medium Eggs
    Salt & Pepper generously

Sauce Ingredients
    2x 400Gram Cans of Tomatoes - I use the Watties Pick of the Crop Tomatoes with Basil or Italian Style

Other Ingredients
    1 Packet of Pasta (or portion thereof if you aren't dishing up all the servings)
    A generous handful of Baby Spinach (or your green of choice) for each serving you plan on dishing up
    Very Small shaving of cheese

Cooking Instructions

Set a pot of water on to boil for the pasta. Once boiling add the pasta.

Pre-Heat your oven to 180 Centigrade (That's 350 ish Fahrenheit I think)

In a large bowl, mix together all the meatball ingredients. Form into meatballs approximately the size of a golf-ball. I usually get 18 meatballs from this recipe.

In a non stick pan add a very thin spray of cooking oil - or none at all if you trust the non-stickness of your pan!
    Brown all sides of the meatballs, then onto a cooking tray and into the oven for 15-20 minutes (or until cooked).

In a smaller pan put tomatoes and simmer, with occasional stirring, until the juice starts to reduce.
    Continue simmering until it is the desired thickness of sauce for you.

To plate I put pasta at front and back and spinach down the middle to form a bed for the meatballs.
    For my serving I allow three meatballs
    Spoon over the tomato sauce and add a very small shaving of cheese to top it off

2kjr6nyz5cvf.jpg

• TheKookyKiwi
    Options
    And here's a breakfast spread or dessert topping option.

I have to do a more detailed measure next I make it but a modest serving of two tablespoons would be about 100 KJ (or 25KCals)

cjaz3m2m6tnd.jpg
    ctu07s75ltvf.jpeg

• PAV8888
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I am *basking* in the glory of Kiwi validation!!!

Behold! Down under they too espouse the ritualized mixing of viande-like products with onion-sounding ingredients and eggs!

Oh this joyful validation of my previously unceremoniously shot down proposed seasoning of ground meat with pristine factory onion-like flavourings, all to be moistened and bound with nutritious eggs and formed into glorious meatballs or hamburgers to be enjoyed for our repasts!

This is making my heart sing like a choir of angels! :innocent: I think I found a new friend! :heart:
  • TheKookyKiwi
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am *basking* in the glory of Kiwi validation!!!
    I think I found a new friend! :heart:

Hehe.. Morning Pav! I feel, as your new friend, I must start in an honest fashion B) .
    I started using Onion Soups in my recipes because I hate chopping onions - they make me cry! LOL.
    So yep .. it started as a self-preservation technique .. but has turned into my go-to seasoning.

• Yoolypr
    edited November 2021
    Options
    This is the link to Libby’s crustless pumpkin pie recipe.

https://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/recipes/crustless-libby-s-famous-pumpkin-pie/.

I use the unflavored pumpkin and low fat evaporated milk. Also I pump up the spices with a bit more ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon to taste. Didn’t use cloves. Also toss in a teaspoon of vanilla.
    Reading through the website also gives some interesting information on using pumpkin as a substitute for eggs or butter in recipes.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Thank you❣️👍
  • Yoolypr
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Oh - if you make the pie be sure to spray or lightly grease the pan. It’ll stick otherwise. Basically it’s the pie without the crust. Top with some low cal Cool Whip.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Will try to make probably on the weekend or next week! 👍
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Any good holiday recipes out there?
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    We made this dessert for Christmas day as an alternative to rich, heavy Christmas pudding a few years ago, and it was universally enjoyed. I'm planning to make it again this year. The only improvement I would make is to omit the fresh clementine (because it freezes too hard and defrosts more slowly than the rest of the dessert). If you don't have Vin Santo you could use a sweet marsala or madeira. Make sure you use really good quality vanilla ice cream or gelato with a high cream content. Similarly, use good quality dark chocolate (at least 70% pure cocoa solids). Not cooking chocolate. Sooooooo good!

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/winter-pudding-bombe/
    gortoxpnfctw.png
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    That is quite the show stopper! Thanks. I think I may try that for New Years Day. By then the Christmas feast should have settled some.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I don't like you. There is a cat I don't like around here. Well... I COULD like the cat if I had some of the EFFFING KITTEN PUDDING IN MY PAWS. And no calorie hit neither!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It looks so good!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    0cv3ptd8g57m.png

I'll be making these again too this year. Soooo tasty! I added more freshly grated parmesan so that they were deliciously salty and cheesy. They pair exceptionally well with a crisp dry white wine (such as Pecorino) or a glass of bubbly.

Here's the recipe:
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/parmesan-shortbreads
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bella you are a dangerous woman! I’ll definitely try out both recipes. We do get Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson’s cooking shows here. I liked Oliver’s recent veggie based show.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    These both look amazing! The bombe and the shortbreads. Not sure I will be up to cooking/preparing this year. But I'm definitely introducing them next year...or maybe by New Year's???