Larger Loser Recipes!

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    So it is pollock basically. Pollock mixed with egg white to be more precise as far as I'm aware.

I have certainly used it in anything that would include a seafood sauce whether white or red

Beyond that, even though in my youth it would have seen incredibly weird, I have put it on toast with a little bit of cheese on top. Grilled possibly even with a squeeze of lemon or lime

But I generally consider it as a bit of an inoffensive filler

Thinking about it I've definitely done omelettes / frittatas with it
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Wasn’t sure if it holds up to mild heating or turns into a gelatinous mess. I was looking for low fat, low calorie filler food. Might try it in jambalaya, gumbo or crab cakes.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    I'm with Connie on this 😁
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Who dared to disagree with Laurie?🤨 I agree surimi is not for everyone. But it’s quick, filling and works for me. 👍
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    WHO I ask? WHO?
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I notice that no-one commented on poor Connie's disagree--I had to go back to double check it was still there! :innocent:

While Laurie would have ESCAPED any disagrees by just stating she would never eat stuff like this--a totally sensible attitude--the issue was that she agreed with Connie!

That's like... CROSSING RED LINES ON THE SAND!
    Agree with Connie on Food?!?! MY LAURIE?!?!?!

Harrumph!!!!

Grumpy-Gimpy
    :innocent:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    :D

Right there, on the non-surimi side of that red line where foods never touch with my fellow hot momma <3
  • PAV8888
    Options
    You're lucky you added hot momma in there for the hug!😘
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It tastes like styrofoam!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sorry... I've tried styrofoam and it is WAY more vile!!!! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Surimi is definitely filler food but I can doctor it up much like tofu. So it’s doable for me. Now, shiritaki noodles, parmesan in a can, or rice cakes - completely styrofoam. Vile!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    try rice chips instead of cakes... salt and flavouring ratio change for the win!
    and styrofoam is WAY more vile. even if you weren't planning on chewing on it... or maybe especially if you weren't! :lol:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    When my dad managed a big grocery store ( Krogers ) in southern Indiana, styrofoam first was used for packing produce perishables….he had a girl working with the fruits and vegetables and it was the first time she had seen styrofoam….my dad told her she could have it….it was shaped like tiny S ssss…..he told her to put it in a pot of salted boiling water and let it cook five minutes and it would magically turn into mashed potatoes….her husband saved her from ruining her kettle!…..
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I must admit - after your warning, Yooly, I ended up tossing the shiritaki noodles I purchased. Couldn't wrap my mind around eating them.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I know there are people who love the shirataki noodles but there was so much negativity. And how do you know what amount is too much for you? The worst part was they’re completely indigestible so have no nutritional value.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    I made a loaf cake. I'm calling it Lemony GingerBean Cake. It was much nicer than the ingredients suggested it would be. 1936 calories for the entire 2lb loaf....242 calories if you get 8 slices out of it...

un9i1i95weth.png

Ingredients

For the cake:
    • 150g fava bean flour
    • 3 tsp baking powder
    • 2 tsp ground ginger
    • 150g light soft brown sugar
    • 150g soft butter or baking margarine
    • 2 large eggs
    • 150g raw sweet potatoes (peeled weight) coarsely grated

For the icing:
      • 100g icing sugar, sifted
      • ½ tsp lemon extract
      • Juice of half a lemon
      • Yellow food colouring (optional)
      • 1 piece crystallised stem ginger

METHOD
      • Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
      • Lightly grease and line the loaf tin, or pop in a liner.
      • Measure all the ingredients (except the sweet potato) into a bowl, sifting the flour, baking powder and ginger in together. Beat the mixture by hand or with an electric hand mixer for two minutes then fold in the grated sweet potato.
      • Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for about 55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
      • Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove and place on a cooling rack.
      • When the cake is cold, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the lemon extract and just enough of the lemon juice to form a soft smooth paste.
      • Spread the icing across the top of the cake with a palette knife, allowing some to dribble down the sides. Finely chop the piece of crystallised stem ginger sprinkle on the icing along the length of the cake.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2022
    Options
    But to both you and yooly how is konjac flour being just an indigestible non nutritious non caloric filler any different than eating fiber one cookies, or pudding sweetened with artificial sweeteners, or using psyllium or other fiber either directly or as part of cereal that you consume.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating that konjac flour or powder is great and that everyone should use it.

I am not sure that I crack open even a half a dozen bags a year.

But I am saying that it has a place in a range of tools.

Certainly not advocating to go and buy more one you've thrown it out!

But I hope I would have been more adventurous and given one or two portions a try! 😘

HA! I'm living in my own world and didn't realize we had moved forward into Garfield having returned from camping to go straight into baking ❣️❣️❣️

Danger danger danger: a wet and cold Garfield straight into the experimental kitchen 😹❣️

The cake actually sounds very interesting 🤔🐹
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    The camping and baking are correlated - I was so cold that I was hallucinating cake and cocoa. Hence I put lots of ginger into the cake for internal warmth!
  • Yoolypr
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Great way to warm up after the cold camping trip! ❣️

I am all for filler foods and experimenting. The konjac thing was based on reading about it being banned in Australia and other countries. Not the noodles but a supplement. I did more reading and while it was wonderful for some, others had distressing problems- even blockages. I’ve tried the noodles myself with no problems. I guess the only caution is to try it in small doses to see how you react.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I use all purpose plain old white flour, whole wheat flour, spelt, and occasionally a little coconut flour….