PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Thank you that looks interesting... for my coleslaw mix!!! :smile:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    o2jpxtb6ke3a.jpeg
    Xtreme Wellness 10” flour tortillas are low carb and only 50 calories. You can wrap a boatload of veggies or whatever. Target, Walmart and Sams Club has them. I think other companies like Ole that make similar product. One giant tortilla is half the calories of a traditional 8” flour tortilla and doesn’t taste half bad.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Saw some oat hull fiber tortillas on amazon a while back... they weren't half bad. sounds like something worth exploring. No Targets in Canada but Wally is around! :smiley:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    The Xtreme tortillas come in “flavors” also. There’s a tomato something and spinach. Tried them both but neither had a flavor worth bothering with. Easier to get plain flour and doctor them up yourself.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,790 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    One of my favourite snacks whenever I'm in italy is a 'telefonino' (a.k.a. supplì or arancini). They're deep-fried rice croquettes, with crisp breadcrumbs hiding a filling made from arborio rice and a tomato/beef ragu, with a heart of melted mozzarella. They're sold everywhere in Rome (and Sicily) and they're delicious, but highly calorific.

Today I had a bash at making a less calorie-dense version. I cooked up some arborio rice and mixed it with a minced beef ragu (whih I made from 5% fat beef mince, onions, celery, carrot, tinned Marzano tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, seasoning and a dash of red wine, cooked slowly for 2 hours). When the ragu had cooled a little, I mixed it with the cooked arborio rice and formed it into balls, then I pushed a small cube of mozzarella into the centre. Then I rolled each ball in a little beaten egg, and rolled it in stale bread that I'd blitzed into very fine breadcrumbs.

Traditional supplì/arancini are deep fried. I wondered how they'd fare if I oven-baked them, or fried them without fat in the air fryer. In the end, I tried both methods. And both methods produced delectable - if inauthentic - supplì, with beautifully melted cheese centres inside the lovely rice/meat/tomato ball. Though less greasy than the originals, and perhaps a little drier, they were no less delicious. I had some homemade tomato sauce left over from a different dish, so I reduced it down until it was the consistency of a thick puree, mixed in a little freshly grated parmesan and served it as a dipping sauce on the side.

A definite winner.

Here's a picture of the authentic version, followed by my homemade baked version. Mine is shown on a dinner plate, so I made them super-large (about fist sized)!

nz8iltroo6ge.png
    3sa9nefmnfls.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    Wow - they are delicious little beasties for sure - yours looks equally inviting!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow, BELLA!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Here's how you make authentic British Toad in the Hole

Good quality pork sausages (2 or 3 per person, depending on the size of their appetite and the size of your pan!)

For the batter:
    2 large eggs
    100g plain (all purpose) flour
    150 - 200mls mls milk (or thereabouts)
    Pinch of salt
    Freshly ground black peppter

Whisk the eggs and flour together until you have a stiff roux with no lumps. If it's too sticky to mix easily (i.e. because your eggs are on the small side), add a couple of tbsps of milk. When the roux is fully mixed, whisk in milk until you have a batter the consistency of single cream. I won't give exact milk measurements because it depends on the size of the eggs, but it'll be around 200mls....Season with the salt and pepper, and allow to rest for 15-30 minutes.

While the batter's resting, brown the sausages in an air-fryer or in the oven. If browning in the oven, they'll benefit from a little oil so they don't stick. A metal roasting pan about 2 inches deep is the ideal vessel, and better than a ceramic dish for conducting heat.

When the sausages are browned, add some fat to the pan (either 10g lard or 15mls of sunflower oil) and make sure that it's screaming hot (i.e. turn your oven up to about 220 degrees). When it's smoking hot remove from the oven and pour the batter over the sausages. Return quickly to the oven and lower the temperature to 190 degrees. Cook for around 30 - 40 minutes, until well risen and beautifully golden brown. Don't be tempted to open the oven door for a closer peep untl at least 30 minutes have passed, because if the air hits it before it's cooked it'll collapse faster than Prince Andrew's credibility.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately with a nice thick onion gravy and lots of veggies.

Hopefully it'll turn out something like this:
    gxd2hcm6c98v.png
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thanks! Will give it a try once the weather cools a bit more. Still running the air conditioning.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Nice recipe Bella… is that a Norfolk version? Up here, we’d use 1/2 milk, 1/2 water for a crisper finish & use beef dripping or lard, as opposed to veg oil!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    I’d always use lard or beef dripping too, but given some folks’ aversion to saturated fat I thought I’d give an unsaturated fat version too.

Agreed half water makes a crispier Yorkshire - so automatic to mix milk with water I didn’t mention it in the method. Doh!
  • Janatki
    Options
    Ah! I thought might be a varient! Looks wonderful! Not had a toad for along time!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So this is Yorkshire pudding with a snausage inside?

What happens if you only leave the pan with an initial pam spray plus the fat rendered from the sausagess and do not add extra?

British snausages vs Johnsonville available in a grocery store near me... what kind of snausage should I buy if I were to try this????
  • Janatki
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I don’t think you’d get a rise on your pud / hole! You’d get a toad on a pancake/ lily pad!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited October 2021
    Options
    You ideally want a traditional pork sausage - i.e. one with a high pork content ( ideally above 97% minced pork) and just lightly seasoned, nothing too herby or spicy. The sausage needs to be rather plain and unshowy so that it doesn't overwhelm the flavour of the Yorkshire pud, so nothing too highly flavoured. If deviating from a traditional plain pork sausage, a Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausage would be acceptable. As for sausage shape, personally I like a nice plump juicy sausage rather than a long skinny chipolata, but some would disagree.

As for the fat, @Janatki may have a different view, but I don't think a light spray of oil would work. The batter needs to hit the hot fat with an audible sizzle in order to rise - so a certain amount of fat is necessary. I think you can get away with 5g lard/dripping, but it's definitely a case that more is better. Many recipes call for 3 tbsps lard or beef dripping to 6 sausages and this quantity of batter. I never use that much, but my mom definitely would've used that amount of fat.

As for the liquid - just milk makes for a softer, doughier Yorkshire pudding - adding water is the magic ingredient, which makes the Yorkshire lovely and crispy.
  • Janatki
    Options
    I agree with Bella high pork content sausage - better quality, tastier toad!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Pork content is not an issue, most are 100%

fat content may be.

Normally get smoked Polish or double smoked farmer. They're pre cooked and maybe that would be wrong based on discussion!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Definitely avoid pre-cooked - you need soft juicy uncooked plump sausages - like these ones...mk8bq30nnxd6.png

Avoid low-fat sausages if you want a really good toad - this is not a dish where low fat is your priority! And avoid smoked sausages - they wouldn't go so well with onion gravy and the smoked flavour would upset the balance of the dish...

For people trying to lose or maintain weight, a toad is a treat, not an every day dish.

• PAV8888
    Options
    Plump 😝😘
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Can't beat a nice plump snorker....