• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    I do not deign to address such comments! :hushed:
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    dtblv2fof3kl.png

I forgot to take a photo of my own (this is one I found on the web), but I made Aloo Curry soup. When you order this in an Indian restaurant you can see the ghee coating the surface, and it's always pretty salty. My version was much simpler.

The ingredients were:

1.5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
    30mls vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    0.5 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1 red chili minced
    2 cups water
    0.5 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    0.5 teaspoon amchur green mango powder
    0.5 teaspoon paprika
    0.25 teaspoon black pepper
    0.25 teaspoon cayenne to taste

I made this in the instant pot, but it could be made in a dutch oven or on the hob with the addition of more water.

I sautéd the cumin, mustard seeds and chilli in the oil until the cumin seeds were golden. Then I tipped in all the other ingredients, stirred thoroughly, sealed and cooked on the soup setting for 10 minutes, then allowed the pressure to naturally release. I then used a fork to break the potatoes apart, smashing some of the potatoes into the curry to thicken the sauce. I added a little more water to adjust the curry to the desired consistency and served straight away.

If making on the stovetop, you'd need to cook for around 30 minutes in total until the potates were thoroughly cooked. And you'd probably need about 5-6 cups of water.

The instant pot version made 3 good-sized portions at 257 calories a portion.

I had it for dinner last night and again for lunch today, and it was just as good when reheated.

• PAV8888
    Options
    Is that what I made by adding instant mash to knorr consome? Hmm... heading in to add some curry... I bet it will taste even better!!! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I made Hawaiian musubi today. It’s traditionally made with a slab of Spam which isn’t bad. But I prefer the salmon version. Recipe at https://www.npr.org/2012/07/03/156205694/salmon-musubi

Spam version-uv09h0nesn8i.jpeg

Salmon version- o0dut8jfcdz7.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    Options
    salmon version looks OODLES of levels better! Wow!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I use the wider strips of kombu -seaweed- to wrap. Can be made vegetarian with sautéed slab of firm tofu. Also saw a version with egg with veggies and one with smoked whitefish in Hawaii. Usually eaten cold or room temp.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Nope, not today!….or tomorrow either!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Come on Connie, time to leave the comfort zone and live the adventure😝
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    tksyfz2p6cnz.jpg
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Is that what I made by adding instant mash to knorr consome? Hmm... heading in to add some curry... I bet it will taste even better!!! :lol:

Repeat to self Pav: My body is not a garbage bin!

Nothing simpler than my aloo curry soup. And way fewer artificial ingredients than Knorr consomme and instant mash! Show your body some love and respect, dude!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I made Hawaiian musubi today. It’s traditionally made with a slab of Spam which isn’t bad. But I prefer the salmon version. Recipe at https://www.npr.org/2012/07/03/156205694/salmon-
    Salmon version- o0dut8jfcdz7.jpeg

That looks lush! Hate Spam… nightmares to 1970’s GB and served that processed stuff with everything…Ugh!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    One perk of being a military wife for many years was exposure to many cuisines. You never knew what you might get when invited to dinner so you smiled and enjoyed. Just don’t ask ingredient questions! I’ve had frog legs, chipolinas (fried hot grasshoppers), escargot, sea cucumbers, squid ink pasta, mayonnaise cheese white bread sandwiches and everything in between. Pot lucks we’re amazing.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I bet ya even had instant mash and Knorr bouillon/consommé too!

😝 (For @Bella_Figura )
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    And smiled politely too, I bet.

But didn’t feel the need to repeat the dish at home...
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I bet ya even had instant mash and Knorr bouillon/consommé too!

😝 (For @Bella_Figura )

Nope - that’s just gross! Wouldn’t touch that.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Oh man, PAV the double punch!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    See Pav, it's so bad that even a person who smiled politely at frogs legs and fried grasshoppers thinks it's gross!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I smell lack of appreciation of the convenience food isle 😘

(Not that there's much to appreciate... but it does get the job done when in a hurry and not prepared 👍(