TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (July)

Options

Replies

• cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,035 Member
    Options
    Good evening team and wishing you all the best start of July! A big welcome to all of our new members!

I have been quite busy over this holiday weekend, and am getting ready for bed for the start of this new work week! I will make some time tomorrow afternoon to post a proper introduction and check in with you all :)

Have a wonderful evening, and fabulous work starting off the new month!
  • maryc11
    maryc11 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    user name = maryc11
    Date = Monday July 5, 2021
    Tracked = Yes
    Exercise = Yes
    Under = Yes
    Water = 68 oz
    Steps = 4,000
  • gamommy2
    gamommy2 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    7/5
    Username Gamommy2
    Tracked yes
    Under yes
    Steps 5089
    Mini challenge- Yes 15 dog walk (every morning)10min bodyweight exercises
    Water DNT
  • annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! I survived the family party mostly by talking WAY too much - lol...it's been a minute since I had someone other than my husband to sit with for a few hours. It was great to see my mom with her only remaining sibling, too. And nobody talked about politics which was ideal! My cousin as expected had a HUGE spread of beautiful food - she just does it right. But most was pretty healthy and I ate little tastes instead of a big plate full. (orzo/feta/olives/roasted tomato salad, grilled curry chicken with pita, hummus, tzadziki, etc) and I ate one small oatmeal raisin cookie for a treat.

The yoga class I attended was excellent - I'm feeling it today. Now to figure out exercise for the next few days while the hurricane/tropical storm passes us by.

Track: yes
    Under: yes
    Water: 80+
    Exercise: yes (yoga)
    Steps: 2086 (didn't get that walk in)

@Lively_2020 - welcome back! That is interesting about the fitbit calorie estimation and alcohol. It makes a lot of sense. I don't use my ancient fitbit for the calorie part, but my mom had that new ultra or deluxe or something fitbit and it looked so great. If I get one of those I may give it a try.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,706 Member
    Options
    Monday 5 July

Track: yes
    Under: yes
    Exercise: yes

Steps: 15,759
    Water: 108
  • DaffyGirl88
    Options
    @annabananamc STOP! You're making me hungry! LOL Glad you had a good time at the party.

I have a Fitbit Inspire HR, it tracks my heart rate (hence the HR) and calories, it's the only calories added back to my MFP allowance from exercise. I'm not very confident in the math though. I've seen people get the same amount of steps that I do and get 2-3x the amount of calories from the Fitbit calorie adjustment. I've given up trying to figure it out.

@Krysless2 Did you ask your question in the forum?
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 8,001 Member
    Options
    Monday, July 5th

logged: yes
    under: yes
    exercise: yes, a 47 minute walk

water: yes, 13 cups
    steps: 21,125

After my walk I went to work and spent the day on my feet, thus the exorbitant amount of steps. I took some Aleve when I got home, so I don't feel too badly today.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @Lively_2020 Welcome back! I have been around this place, off and on, for a long time, but not as far back as 2016, so I don't believe our paths have crossed.
  • DaffyGirl88
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    Monday, July 5th

logged: yes
    under: yes
    exercise: yes, a 47 minute walk

water: yes, 13 cups
    steps: 21,125

After my walk I went to work and spent the day on my feet, thus the exorbitant amount of steps. I took some Aleve when I got home, so I don't feel too badly today.

@HASWLRS I'd be taking Aleve too! And I think I will after this week, I've set some lofty goals for myself. :)
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Date: 07/05
    Username: Murdog3t
    logged food: yes
    under calories: yes
    exercise: yes
    Steps : 6482
    Water: 96

Just for today : 07/06, keto day 4, 6000steps🚶‍♀️, 16hr IF , read bible plan , read chapters 📚1&2 , Daily calm/ meditation, walk 30 min, sleep 8 hrs, PT exercise ,BBD8, PFW2D1

Yesterday : 07/05, keto day 3👍🏻, 6000steps🚶‍♀️👍🏻, 16hr IF 👍🏻, read bible plan 👍🏻, read chapters 📚1&2 👎🏻, Daily calm/ meditation👍🏻, walk 30 min👍🏻, sleep 8 hrs👍🏻, PT exercise 👍🏻,BBW2D1👍🏻, bike 🚴 20 min 👎🏻
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    @murdog3t I will request for Ashley to add you back to the challenge, but saying you haven't weighed in since the middle of May(I think), you may have to sign up for next month's challenge.
  • cmhubbard92
    Options
    Krysless2 wrote: »
    I don’t understand how Fitbit calculated 500+ active minutes yesterday when I wasn’t even working out. Yes I was active but I was grocery shopping, cooking two casseroles and then helping with lighting fireworks.
    I’m actually going to ask the forums about this because it just didn’t seem right to burn more calories then a run on the treadmill.

Right now I’m just going to assume it’s correct. I did expect a post-July4th-holiday-waterweight gain and ended up losing a pound so maybe Fitbit knows more than I do..
    @Krysless2
    One of my biggest issues with fitbit was that I had an extremely inflated calorie adjustment each day. I never ate anywhere near that calorie adjustment because it 100% would have caused (more) weight gain.

For example, here is one day with fitbit and one day with Garmin. One I was active and the other one not.
    March 23 (fitbit)
    Step count: 8,425
    Exercise: none
    Calorie adjustment: +731

March 27 (Garmin)
    Step Count: 9,975
    Exercise: 40 minutes running
    Calorie Adjustment: +490

With fitbit, any time I went over 10,000 steps, I automatically would recieve nearly 1,000 extra calories. I am maintaining my weight (+/- a range) for the most part, but I definitely find my garmin numbers more reliable. I definitely give fitbit credit for helping me become more active, but it definitely did not help me in the calorie department.

When it gives you an adjustment >1000 calories, think about what you did that day, and if that was someting strenuous. This article is really good about pointing out how much work you would have to do in order to burn that many calories:
    To burn 2,000 calories per day through exercise alone, you'd need to exercise for a longer duration and at a greater intensity. A runner who weighs 155 pounds and goes at a swift pace of 7.5 mph burns 465 calories per half-hour; it'll take him 2 1/2 hours of running at this intensity to burn 2,000 calories.
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/276911-how-to-burn-2000-calories-per-day/

Oh, how I wish fitbit's calorie burn was more accurate for me! I definitely wouldn't have minded the extra bonus calories!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I’m new. I will report all July days here. Then daily after this.

User name = MargaretYakoda
    Date = Thursday July 1, 2021
    Tracked = Yes
    Exercise = Yes
    Under = Yes

I had my helper on Thursday so we did a little extra cleaning. Not much calories for me, but it was good to get things done.

Date = Friday July 2, 2021
    Tracked = Yes
    Exercise = Yes
    Under = Yes

Date = Saturday July 3, 2021
    Tracked = Yes
    Exercise = Yes
    Under = Yes

Date = Sunday July 4, 2021
    Tracked = Yes
    Exercise = Yes
    Under = Yes
    Grocery shopping today. Not much, but it is extra walking.

Date = Monday July 5, 2021
    Tracked = Yes
    Exercise = Yes
    Under = Yes

Went to a picnic and actually kept to my diet.
    It helps that almost everything had gluten and/or pepper. Both of which are not my friends. Got a little extra walking in. Not much. But that’s a lot for me.

I am trying to close all my rings (Apple Fitness) every day this month. So. That’s my mini goal.
    So far, so good.
    lehsm41f7y6s.jpeg
  • DaffyGirl88
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda Welcome! 🙋‍♀️
  • DaffyGirl88
    Options
    I don’t understand how Fitbit calculated 500+ active minutes yesterday when I wasn’t even working out. Yes I was active but I was grocery shopping, cooking two casseroles and then helping with lighting fireworks.
    I’m actually going to ask the forums about this because it just didn’t seem right to burn more calories then a run on the treadmill.

Right now I’m just going to assume it’s correct. I did expect a post-July4th-holiday-waterweight gain and ended up losing a pound so maybe Fitbit knows more than I do..
    @Krysless2
    One of my biggest issues with fitbit was that I had an extremely inflated calorie adjustment each day. I never ate anywhere near that calorie adjustment because it 100% would have caused (more) weight gain.

For example, here is one day with fitbit and one day with Garmin. One I was active and the other one not.
    March 23 (fitbit)

March 27 (Garmin)

With fitbit, any time I went over 10,000 steps, I automatically would recieve nearly 1,000 extra calories. I am maintaining my weight (+/- a range) for the most part, but I definitely find my garmin numbers more reliable. I definitely give fitbit credit for helping me become more active, but it definitely did not help me in the calorie department.

When it gives you an adjustment >1000 calories, think about what you did that day, and if that was someting strenuous. This article is really good about pointing out how much work you would have to do in order to burn that many calories:
    To burn 2,000 calories per day through exercise alone, you'd need to exercise for a longer duration and at a greater intensity. A runner who weighs 155 pounds and goes at a swift pace of 7.5 mph burns 465 calories per half-hour; it'll take him 2 1/2 hours of running at this intensity to burn 2,000 calories.

Oh, how I wish fitbit's calorie burn was more accurate for me! I definitely wouldn't have minded the extra bonus calories!

@cmhubbard92 Absolutely! Some very good information in that article, thanks for sharing.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    March 23 (fitbit)

@cmhubbard92 I have a Fitbit, as you know, and mine never gave me an adjustment like the one above. For a day like that it would have given me an extra 300 calories, maybe 350. It's so interesting that the results can vary so much between individuals. I have the Versa; I don't know if the model makes a difference or not.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda Wow, for a newbie you definitely showed up prepared to kick some butt! Yay for you and yay for The Big Butt Theory!!
  • cmhubbard92
    edited July 2021
    Options
    March 23 (fitbit)

@cmhubbard92 I have a Fitbit, as you know, and mine never gave me an adjustment like the one above. For a day like that it would have given me an extra 300 calories, maybe 350. It's so interesting that the results can vary so much between individuals. I have the Versa; I don't know if the model makes a difference or not.

@HASWLRS absolutely! I had the Versa as well. I don't remember the Charge HR/Charge 2 giving those crazy calorie goals/adjustments, but I don't believe I synced them with MFP. But, if I have a day with no Exercise and around 8,000 steps I get maybe 100 extra calories max, that 300 you get would still be high for me.
  • cmhubbard92
    edited July 2021
    Options

@Krysless2

March 23 (fitbit)

March 27 (Garmin)

@cmhubbard92 Absolutely! Some very good information in that article, thanks for sharing.

@DaffyGirl88 you're welcome! I like to research a lot of these things because this is such a big learning experience, no matter where I am in my journey. I also love to go back in the General Health & Fitness section and read up on some of the top posts thats stickied :) Some of them are real eye openers!

Here is a screenshot
    j45guzp82ah4.jpg
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda Wow, for a newbie you definitely showed up prepared to kick some butt! Yay for you and yay for The Big Butt Theory!!

Thanks. I’m a newbie to MFP, but not to this whole process. I’m a SparkPeople refugee. So I already know most of the drill.
    😉

Unfortunately I’m in a bit of a plateau at the moment so we’ll see how much of an asset to the team I am. 🤪
This discussion has been closed.