WaistAways-July Chat 2021

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,216 Member
    Options
    AshenMoon wrote: »
    CW: 219.4 woo!

My partner recently purchased an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, I've been having a ton of fun with beat saber! Plus it gets my heart pumping which is awesome :)

Sounds like a blast! Good one - 4.6 pounds gone this month so far!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    @Jugar and everyone Thank you for your kind words. I have heard no update on my cousin. Peaceful and comfortable is my prayer as well.

Your hike sounds amazing.

I love the visual image of dancing with fear. I don’t have a lot of issues with fear, but I will hold on to that. I guess my biggest fears come with hoping for happy, smooth lives for my kids. I totally get needing that adrenaline before a “performance “ and how that helps. I think I embraced that as a good thing too. Whenever my colleagues and I would have to do a presentation in front of parents, they would get so nervous and want to script everything out. That is not my style. After working together for a while, I was able to convince them they had nothing to worry about. They were competent, knowledgeable teachers and could easily talk about our program. I like to think I helped them with that. One nice thing that comes with age and experience is knowing, you really don’t have much to be afraid of.

@ashleycarole86 Hope you have a perfect day for golf.

@KellyBgetsfit i know it’s hard when your habit gets disrupted. But getting those workout clothes on is a start. Right now, my mat is open on the floor and I haven’t been on it yet. I don’t have all the things you have getting in the way. I know first thing is best for me. But now I’m going to have it staring at me. Sometimes all you have to do is force yourself to start. Can your older daughter or son occupy the baby for 10-15 minutes? Good luck. We’re cheering you on. 👏🏼👍🏻
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,188 Member
    Options
    07/21 exercise -
    2,090 steps + 4 hrs golfing with a cart + 87 minutes bicycling (leisurely)
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Week 3 step challenge results (Jul 11-17):

We had four people report in their steps and exercise for the full week (yay, consistency!):

@ashleycarole86
    @YinxFed
    @Kali225
    @sunny9847

As a step team, we recorded 412,751 steps across six participants, which is the equivalent of us completing almost 8 full marathons together!

Top three steppers for the week:

#1 @ashleycarole86
    #2 @sunny9847
    #3 @Kali225

As I get more in the groove, I'll work on reminders for the rest of our participants to ensure we're tracking as much of our awesome progress as possible!

Fun side question for all -

Have you ever participated in a formal race of any kind, and if so, which was your most memorable?
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 I do the same with ruminating, and building things up in my head. It made for a miserable couple of weeks before my first vaccine! That is something I'm trying to work on.

In terms of races... I've done a couple but I guess Tough Mudder stands out. Man that sucked. I skipped plenty of obstacles (by the end, when you had to run through the electric shock wires, my thought process was simply 'screw that' lol) and I couldn't do a lot of the running as it was up and down a ridiculously steep hillside. I do have my first park run this weekend, so looking forward to that, and then in November we're doing a 10k at a big theme park (Alton Towers), where you do the run in the morning then spend the afternoon on the rides and the park is closed to the general public. I suspect it'll be busy as normal though because they're still selling tickets including spectator tickets.

My arm was killing me yesterday, but thankfully its mostly just stiff today and OK unless I try to move it outside of a typical range. Our TV streaming service lost signal last night so I took the opportunity to go to bed early and slept through. I almost never wake up feeling refreshed, but I felt pretty good this morning - oh for that feeling every day. I'm probably going to hold off foam rolling today (one exercise includes my arms/shoulders) but it may be cool enough for an evening walk with any luck, and I'll do my stretches.

I have the dental hygienist later which is great except my jaw is still aggravated from last week's filling, so I think it's going to be a very uncomfortable session - I keep getting shooting pain when I move my jaw in certain ways without thinking, and I know it'll lock at the dentist later, but once I've been, I can properly focus on easing it off. I'm not taking any painkillers because I want my body to do it's thing against the Covid vaccine. It's no wonder I'm not the biggest alcohol fan, when a drunken face plant is still causing me issues over 5 years later!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hello group!

I made it through all the celebrations and we finally finished the cupcakes from the bakery. Thank goodness they cost a fortune and we don't buy them very often. I've been over calories 3 days in a row, one day by a lot. I'm trying to get back on track and still think my weigh in will be fine.

My husband gets really hungry in the evenings when I am usually out of calories. It is really hard to work around sometimes. He is pretty fit and he is really active so he definitely needs more calories than me. I don't mind making him snacks but he feels bad if I do and don't eat. Sometimes I give in and eat snacks. I try and leave calories for the end of the day but it doesn't always work. I need to figure this out because it's really holding up my progress.
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Interesting comments by a few of you on the complications family and friends can put on our plan in a whole bunch of different ways. Prior to starting in January, I'd never done anything remotely diet-like in front of Brad. I honestly suspected it was going to be a rough adjustment as our whole relationship had been centered around our mutual love of food. He does almost all the cooking, and loved to dote on me that way. I thought he'd sabotage more or not understand my new habits.

Even though it took him a bit longer to hop on board for himself (his own decision once he got there), he did respect the choices I had to make right from day one and didn't pressure me to eat or indulge in ways I wasn't prepared to. I know this isn't always the common experience... going through it together means I have a built in cheerleader right at home. Given our similar weight, it at times feels like we are walking the same journey. I will appreciate the benefit this gives me.

It's amazing how much what we each put in our mouth can be perceived as a threat, disappointment, etc. to others. I've always been a people pleaser, so if I was around my mom for example and she was suggesting one night of celebration wouldn't hurt, I'd indulge.. but of course it was never just one night. And I wasn't making the choice for me, I was making it for someone else.

There is a fine line to honoring ourselves, having fun with family and friends, meeting our goals... this journey feels full of pitfalls to overcome depending on the situation/person and how impactful that influence is on our day to day.

Atomic Habits speaks to the role of family and friends in shaping our habits. Just being part of this group of like minded people with similar goals suggests better likelihood we'll meet our goals, and maintain those habits well after we reach that goal zone line (whatever that means for all of us.) I know the participation here reinforces my identity of achieving my health goals.

Enjoy your big city romp @jugar .. sounds like a blast!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    @micki48 Thinking of you and your family right now.
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    Exercise 07/22 -
    8608 steps
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone.

This has felt like a loooong week. Our free weekend is now truly free, and whilst there's a fair amount we need/want to get done, it's going to be nice to only plan around ourselves. Oh, except the Saturday park run, of course! If I wasn't doing that I'd probably be chilling out in bed and it is important for my body that I keep running so I don't mind that one.

OH has various appointments relating to joining the police over the next couple of weeks. It's very much got my mind in the zone of how we'll cope with the lifestyle changes. Honestly, my personality is not really compatible with flexibility (I would call it instability - and stability is one of my values) so this is going to be very challenging. I'm focusing on the practicalities (i.e. things I can control) which could make life easier.

I think a big thing will be doing more batch cooking; I tend to do some over winter (stews etc) but we struggle for freezer space. I'm not sure I can fit both a dishwasher and an undercounter freezer in the kitchen, so either I need to find space, or prioritise. I like having freezer meals because reheating is easy, and it's quicker than getting a takeaway/less effort than going out for fast food. This will be very important for my continued weight loss.

Other things I've got on my list are hiring a cleaner once a week/fortnight, changing the smoke alarms to smart ones I can stop with my phone (I can't reach the ceilings!) and I probably need to do something about my fear of spiders! Autumn is particularly awful, because they make their own way inside, but Kirk also has a habit of bringing big ones in through the cat flap. :s
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    CW 87.3
This discussion has been closed.