WaistAways - Team Chat AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,041 Member
    Options
    Brad and I just got back from a 6KM walk... I am confident my use of the habit tracker has helped ingrain in me certain behaviors that now feel second nature. It is so interesting how our priorities have shifted so that building exercise into our day is now a given and not a chore.

While I know we could do this whole journey without exercise, we are certainly enjoying it.

I'm finding the habit tracker helpful this month as well - I go on and off of it... Right now it is booting me into sticking with something new. I have loved doing Pilates for the past year or two, but it has gradually become just about the only workout I do. I used to be much more into strength workouts, intervals, and more intense stuff. So even though I feel good, I don't think that Pilates, at least at the level I do it, is pushing me enough. So I started a 30 day kettlebell/cardio challenge this month, and the one thing keeping me at it is that danged habit tracker! The first few days were easy, but now it is building up and my quads are sure sore! It feels good, though. Today I did not think I would be able to complete the workout (it included 50 swings and 50 lunges), but it went well! I'm looking a little funny going down stairs, but... So yeah - the habit tracker is my friend again this month. It will really help me build this back into the day.
  • jugar
    Options
    LAST CALL WEEK 1 Weigh-ins -

@Pearl4686
    @micki48

DOUBLE LAST CALL - you will be dropped! I hope that does not happen... Of course, you can always come back later, but 2 weeks in a row we have no weigh-ins, so let's see if one last nagging will get you back!

@MandiSaysHey
    @CurvyCalorie

Heads up for Sunday weigh-ins:
    @YinxFed
    @Terytha
    @deniners2
    @once_mas

Thanks!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My in laws took the kids for a sleepover so my husband and I are having a date night! Woo-hoo. I'm a little over on calories but not too bad. Did a mellow 20 minute hike to get my dog moving a little after surgery. Every once in a while my 12 year old daughter gets in a ballet kick and wants to do online classes together. We have been streaming classes from Everyday Ballet this month. I took a break from ballet so I am out of ballet shape. We made it 40 minutes through the hour class today so we are getting better. @jugar I think between you, me and my daughter there is a lot of awkward stair climbing going on! Oh my calves and arms, yikes 😬 I like pilates too but I think you are right, it isn't as intense as other workouts. My goal is to not go over calories tomorrow.
    @ashleycarole86 Glad you are noticing that exercising is part of your new normal. Exercise definitely has a lot of benefits!
    @Gidgitgoescrazy Great job this week 👏
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Weigh in was actually From yesterday ugh!

Maybe last week was a fluke.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    08/07 exercise - 12070 steps

@conleywoods hope you had a great date night ❤

My fun exercise of the day was about 35 minutes of Frisbee and playing catch... love playing games like that

Night all! Early wake up call so we can get back home to visit friends and their babies!
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    CW 88.4
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Triple batch of M.Stewart's veg/bean soup made and most socked away in the freezer. Irritated that I hadn't cooked the beans long enough but then on the plus side, maybe my supply won't be gobbled up by others, ha! This batch works out to about 118 calories per cup and delicious to boot, so depending on how hungry I am, 1, 2 or 3 cups doesn't ruin my daily goal.
    Yesterday full of chores for other people - today at least only MY chores. Ordered a maintenance kit for my old Singer months and months ago and haven't used it yet, I don't think it will happen today with BJ's, Aldi, the dump, and some garden work, and mowing - I need either a good rainy day or a stinking hot day.
    Well, I'd better sit with my coffee and prelog my day - usually I do it in bed the night before but couldn't manage that Zzz Zzzz Zzzzz
    happy sunday all.
  • JourneyAlone
    JourneyAlone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It is strange sometimes how our body does when trying to lose weight. My weight went up for a few days, a few ounces each time. Then all of sudden whoosh, it started showing loss.

For 6 days it showed my weight creeping up a few ounces each time, and then Saturday morning it showed a loss for the first time and nearly a week. Today, I still saw a good loss and I'm sure as time goes on, I'll have a few more times like this, where I gain a few ounces each day and then lose large amounts this is just the way my body works I guess.

I am not complaining, because I'm very happy for the loss. I just find it strange the way my body works sometimes.

Does anyone else go through this with their body, as you're trying to lose weight? Just curious if I'm the only one or there's others that their body does this.
  • jugar
    Options
    It is strange sometimes how our body does when trying to lose weight. My weight went up for a few days, a few ounces each time. Then all of sudden whoosh, it started showing loss.

For 6 days it showed my weight creeping up a few ounces each time, and then Saturday morning it showed a loss for the first time and nearly a week. Today, I still saw a good loss and I'm sure as time goes on, I'll have a few more times like this, where I gain a few ounces each day and then lose large amounts this is just the way my body works I guess.

I am not complaining, because I'm very happy for the loss. I just find it strange the way my body works sometimes.

Does anyone else go through this with their body, as you're trying to lose weight? Just curious if I'm the only one or there's others that their body does this.

As soon as you figure it out it might change! It is sometimes mysterious. For me, as soon as I eat some grains, especially in the form of any kind of flour, my weight goes up. As soon as I cut them out, it goes right back down. It might have to do with fibre. You might have some kind of a trigger like that - see if you have a difference in your eating on the day you suddenly show a loss vs the days when it creeps up.
  • gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 47 pounds following a keto diet the last seven months but I can’t do keto anymore. I’m not enjoying it which makes it very difficult to stick to. I knew it wouldn’t be sustainable long term but it was a good tool to help me kickstart my weight loss. I’d like to add some fruit and other carbs back in to my diet but still want to avoid heavily processed foods. The scale may be rocky for a couple weeks but I’ll log everything and really focus on maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • JourneyAlone
    JourneyAlone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @jugar, I went over my food dairy and the only thing I notice 3 things,

1. If I eat between 1,200 & 1,300 I don't seem to lose but, gain a few ounces.

2. If I eat a lot of unhealthy foods and go high in daily calories, I don't lose but, gain.

3. If I eat at 1,500 or a little over and the food is very healthy I lose. Mostly vegetables, a little fruit, very little dairy or eggs, sone meat or fish, low carb.

I measure and weigh my food (portion it out) before eating. Only drink water. and once in awhile some herbal tea (don't use sweetness/ sugar of any kind) and very few processed foods. Whole clean foods mostly.
    If I feel hungry latter in the day, I'll eat some type of protein. Which will raise calorie intake. I do cheat, not often, but, only healthy foods now.

These past two days that I lost a good amount of weight, I really went over allotted calories from (1,500 sit by MFP) to around (2,000) calories. Expected to gain.

I'm not trying to eat small portions, to lose excessive weight, instead I'm eating a very healthy diet ( Mediterranean diet) instead of junk food. Some times in large amounts especially, vegetables.

It may be unhealthy to lose weight fast in a week, that's true! For most people. But, before joining MFP I had lost 100 lbs that was over a year ago, never gained it back.

The only thing that I can think is my body likes this healthy way of eating. I plan to keep on this Mediterranean diet the rest of my life. I'm not starving like I said I go over sometimes, but, seems to work. I don't know why I'm losing so much weight eating more food? I'm satisfied, I don't get extra hungry like I was when I was trying to do 1200 to 1300 calories a day.

I'm not sick, I'm not on a starvation diet, or doing anything that's trying to harm myself. the more I eat healthy, the more lbs seem to come off. Didn't connect that this way of eating, could really change the way I lose weight. I plan to stay on this Mediterranean diet. it's a plan I can live with the rest of my life.

My Stats
    Female
    Height: 6'0
    Highest weight: 400 lbs Lost 100 lbs to 299 lbs year or so ago.
    Weight Started MFP: 299 (Wasn't trying to lose weight this past year, never reached 300lbs, again, but, stayed close to)

After a little over a year and having health issues, I'll never go back to my old way of eating. Literally, my life depends on it. Yes, losing weight fast is not good, if you're restricting your food too much. I'm learning to eat healthy to save my life, (I'm eating to live, NOT, living to eat) like I was in the past.

For whatever reason my body finds this extra healthy food a way to flush out the excess weight. (Unhealthy foods & higher calories = Gain, Healthy foods = Loss ) Don't know way I didn't notice before.

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, Friends!

Sunday weigh in:

CW - 185.3
    PW - 186.0

Steps and exercise stats to follow.
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My weekend included a run in the rain and walking in the park near our house. For the run on Saturday I knew it was supposed to rain but thought I might get back to my house before it poured. Funny I was laughing all the way home and splashing in the puddles! I probably looked crazy for the people who drove by me but I had a blast. :smile:

As for my nutrition - not such a positive story but I am not beating myself up. I bought a huge portion of salmon for next week. I am drinking lots of water. Also I went to a new market that had amazing fresh fruits/vegs and I bought a few new items that I've never tried before. The one I am looking forward to the most the purple artichoke. Beautiful and healthy!
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    @eggfreak and @jugar - its fun to read about your frogs! I feel like I am visiting your gardens!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all.

I might be glad to go back to work for a rest? Maybe...

We went shopping on Friday, as OH wanted to track down the boots he'll need for the new job. I got a new Under Amour Hoody, t-shirt and shorts, all discounted. Came to £53, and t-shirt alone should've been £45 new, so pleased with that. Plus they're all a medium, rather than a large! I am at risk of looking like a brand tart (tart is not the correct word lol) when it comes to Under Armour but it washes well, fits how I like and lasts forever. OH got properly fitted for the boots, but I think he still wants to go up to the factory where they're made to actually buy them, once he's had confirmation that he does indeed have the job - hoping for that to happen this month, as he'll need to hand his notice in no later than the 3rd September, though his manager and HR already know.

On Saturday we went to the butchers and one of the guys there complimented me on my weight loss. It's nice for a 'stranger' to notice! OH then took the car out for the rest of the day and I felt restricted/isolated, so I overate a bit, but went for a walk to bring my calories back into check. It's not as though I even wanted to go anywhere in the car, and normally I really enjoy some alone time, but I think I was feeling that this is going to become routine for us next year and I'm not particularly looking forward to it. I will need to come to terms with this because if I eat my feelings every meal we aren't together, I'll be back to where I started pretty quickly.

Today I stayed in bed until lunch time - reading, but it was so nice not to be going anywhere - then this afternoon after some errands, I went for a solo run in the rain and shaved 10s off my 5K time. We had a cooked breakfast for lunch and I definitely felt like I was carrying that around with me! Tomorrow I have a PT session and we are hopefully doing a running/gait analysis, weather permitting. I remember feeling like a well-oiled running machine in the past and these days I don't get that. I want to know why and then how to get back to that whole-body-one-purpose thing.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Greetings, Friends!

This past week's been a bit tough. I was nursing some really harsh glute muscle pain for the first half of the week, so my exercise routine was severely affected by that. No Zumba and no Epic. However, I did start to improve mid week and managed to go out for a 3 hour walk on Friday. That was very satisfying. But my food intake has been good and I've managed to up my average hours' sleep at night.

This weekend we have an extended family function. My niece is getting married on Saturday, so we have a family pre-wedding event as well as a family post-wedding event - what can I say? that's how we roll! - so there's lots to look forward to.

And I am definitely going to Zumba tomorrow night.

Back later for more!

Y x
  • jugar
    Options
    What a lovely batch of news today - thanks for sharing!

@evangsimmons170
    Of course you are welcome back - always and any time. We're hoping to hear your news and thoughts too - it is a pleasure.

@gak71
    I can totally relate to keto not being sustainable! Some people thrive on it, but it is not for everyone, that is for sure. As long as you get most of your carbs from all kinds of vegetables and fruits, I doubt you'll see too much of a rebound. Keep us posted how your experiments go.

@JourneyAlone
    That is really interesting - it is not just the # of calories, that is for sure. You are smart to aim for a Mediterranean diet - it is flexible, delicious, and you can eat great huge plates of food as long as most of it is vegetables. Stick with those healthy foods, and you'll never want to go back! You are inspiring - even though I'm dead jealous at your height... :wink: It is amazing that you have lost over 100 pounds and learned tons. You're certainly off to a fantastic start this week, and I'm glad you joined us.

@Steph1498
    Keep on splashing in the rain! Let them think you're crazy :sweat_smile:

@DD265
    I'll join you in the UA catalogue - I don't have a ton of their stuff, but what I have I use all the time and love to bits. You got a great bargain there - photos please! It sounds like you are doing some good thinking around the changes coming up - emotional eating is being replaced by emotional being and thinking. My closest friend helps a lot by being amazingly articulate about sitting with the negative thoughts and emotions, letting them loose in your body, and staying there until they have been heard. She is a writer, and listening to her talk about this as she has gone through some really tough times over the past couple of years has made it possible for me to figure out at least some of the emotional eating and give those emotions some room. It isn't easy, but maybe it is easier than losing the weight we put on because of trying to shut those emotions up. You'll find that whole body one purpose feeling, I'm counting on it!

May the tiny frogs be with you.
    iyn5rd025tfh.png
This discussion has been closed.