WaistAways - Team Chat AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    GO US!!!!

Feeling like a strong August is upon us as well. For those of you who find summer harder than winter, what tactics are you employing to help yourself grab success out of the last of what's left of summer (don't worry - there's still plenty of it!!! I know the W word is traumatic for some ;) or exciting if you're @jugar)

My youngest starts his junior year of high school tomorrow and my daughter heads back to college on Friday. My tactic to salvage the rest of August will be getting back in to a routine! I find summer more difficult because we travel and always have a full house.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Wow that was a close one!

I am not sure I find summer harder than winter generally, but I am finding re-opening harder than lockdown/increased restrictions in many respects and that's where the UK is right now. We're arranging more social engagements and those engagements tend to be centred around at least one meal out. I think OH's job change is looming over me a bit as well, so whilst I'm emotionally eating within my goals and still heading in the right direction, it's a struggle to not eat my exercise calories. Plus we're busy pretty much every weekend now which is a bit stressful but we're trying to squeeze everybody/thing in. I think my focus is more on the future (OH's job change) than the present which probably isn't helping.

I am trying to plan more stir fry meals into our week as these are typically low in calories. This means I have room for snacks and it's easier to not eat exercise calories. I've also picked my cross stitch back up after a couple of months not doing any, because if my hands are busy they can't feed me.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    GO US!!!!

Feeling like a strong August is upon us as well. For those of you who find summer harder than winter, what tactics are you employing to help yourself grab success out of the last of what's left of summer (don't worry - there's still plenty of it!!! I know the W word is traumatic for some ;) or exciting if you're @jugar)

This month I am fully focused on my training for the 25K London Bridges Trek that I will be doing in September. I'm also keen to continue with my Epic workouts and fit all of this around work. I love summer as I get to spend so much more time outside.
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Weigh-In

PW: 215.3
    CW: 219.0

I did consider asking to sit this week out a few days ago, since I knew it wouldn't be too pretty today - I was on vacation Friday through Monday, visiting friends, but hey. Facing the music! This is the highest number I have seen on the scale in quite some time. Very much a wake-up call day. I was also very behind on reading this thread, and on journaling, and all other things (partially the point of a vacation, but still).

One fun thing on the vacation - my friend and I took an intro to pole dancing class! It was HARD but so fun. My arms and obliques are still feeling it and that was 3 days ago!

Today has been really on target for food - the first time in quite a while, too. Feels good. I have to hang ON to this feeling. I am going to do some yoga once I log off work here, but not pushing to get in a workout. I guess I have the "get the weight loss going with just food choices and then add exercise in" approach on the mind today.

Anecdotal observation: When I got back to my apartment yesterday afternoon, I had been gone for almost 7 weeks (working from NY for all of July+). I discovered that there had been some kind of water leak in my bedroom ceiling right onto my bed! Whatever it was dripped through all the layers of my bedding to the mattress protector and left a vaguely brown ringed stain on everything. Bummer, huh? Well, after unpacking my very full car and luggage, I started doing about 3 loads of laundry, planning meals, and going grocery shopping, all after a 5 hour drive to start the day. And even though I was getting hungry once I shopped, I 1. didn't cave to shoving a bunch of snacks in my cart and 2. wasn't focused on that hunger. What I think I was noticing is that when I am really busy and focused, especially with something physical to do with my hands like laundry and putting clothes and books away, I only get hungry at a "normal person" time, i.e. meals. I had a delicious dinner (it was takeout, and I'm sure it contributed to some bloat at today's weigh-in, but hey. I was having a DAY. :D )

All that to say, I think once I am past this big exam at the end of August, I should try some new hobbies to keep myself busy when not working. I think it could help me avoid binges.

@ashleycarole86 missing steps to report!

8/2: 6,329
    8/3: 2,567
    8/4: 9,194
    8/5: 10,068
    8/6: 9,320
    8/7: 7,312
    8/8: 3,977
    8/9: 10,554
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,101 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86
    You said the W word!!! I'm wagging my tail. OK - the warm days are great, and now that the nights are cooler, I'm OK with it. Today was some HEAVY work - wheelbarrows full of heavy silty black stuff from our drained pond up to fill some holes in the orchard and to add to the compost heap. Our wheelbarrow has wooden handles made by my taller half who has hands the size of grizzly paws, so wheeling ridiculously heavy stuff uphill from the pond was my major strength challenge today. Got it done! That was some great shower afterwards.

I'm finding that hiking and going places to hike are camp are just not on the agenda right now, though. There is a lot to do here, and plenty of trails on our land for daily short hikes, but I do miss longer hikes with camping. Hoping to get some of that in over the next month or two before it gets too cold.
  • jugar
    edited August 2021
    Options
    YinxFed wrote: »
    This month I am fully focused on my training for the 25K London Bridges Trek that I will be doing in September. I'm also keen to continue with my Epic workouts and fit all of this around work. I love summer as I get to spend so much more time outside.

Holy moly that is coming up fast! What a great 25k that is going to be - you are going to have a blast.
    eggfreak wrote: »
    As I eat a little zucchini (or a lot) with every meal right now as they all ripen in the garden, I remember back to the supper when I was still in the single digits, sobbing because I didn't want to eat the one slice of zucchini on my plate that I had to try :D

The Story of the Sad Zucchini! It is amazing. I remember the first time I could stand to eat cauliflower - my grandmother made a beautiful cauliflower au gratin and practically had to force me to try it. I was so blown away by how wonderful it was I will never forget it! Kids and veg. We used to blindfold our daughter to eat stir fry - she loved all those veggies, but did not like to look at them. Go figure.

@Kali225
    Pole dancing is crazy amazing fitness - I am always amazed at the strength it takes. I took a couple of classes for fun many years ago, and it was intense. So dance to the music you are facing! You'll get back on track, I'm sure. I like your observations about intention, keeping busy, shopping, eating - it is all information, as @micki48 says. Stick with the things that work best for you.
  • jugar
    Options
    Heads up for Wednesday weigh-ins:
    @AshenMoon
    @EvMakesChanges
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @MoStacy

late weigh-in:
    @lovethyneighbor

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    08/10 exercise: 4,680 steps and 79 minutes bicycling

Loved reading everyone's plans to end the last bit of summer on a strong note! I think this summer has been good to Brad and I in terms of us really finding outdoor activities we love, and also just having the extra time to work out that isn't being spent commuting to downtown Calgary and back.

We have already started to talk about plans to adjust when we return to office next month and when the weather isn't as friendly to us. We will have to be more strategic with our time and planning.

• AshenMoon
    AshenMoon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I went a little overboard this weekend and my activity has gone down a little I think...not getting discouraged though! I just have to be more mindful :)
    CW:218
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    @DD265 your pork dish sounds AMAZING! I need to bust out my slow cooker this fall when we're back in the office... will be nice to come home to a warm meal

Great loss @KellyBgetsfit and good observations @AshenMoon Still great progress for this month overall so glad you're not getting discouraged.. you got this!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have had some really rough PMS and my scale is up 5 lbs. So 😥 sad. I have had a few days of migraines, not sleeping well and feeling so tired. I think my hormones are starting to change. Feeling better today so I am making an effort to have a good food and exercise day. Yesterday was good for calories and exercise but dinner felt overindulgent. One of the kids has been begging for waffles for dinner. We had waffles, bacon, whipped cream, blueberries and cherries.

@Kali225 I hear you on the keeping busy thing. I had pretty much given up my indoor sitting hobbies to increase my exercise. Now when we get stuck inside there is nothing to do. I might need to start sewing again!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    AUGUST WEEK 1 STEP CHALLENGE RESULTS

qb8m2d124gma.png

# of participants – 5

WEEK 1 TOP STEPPERS
    #1 @KellyBgetsfit 100,429
    #2 @ashleycarole86 98,229
    #3 @jugar 86,189

WEEK 1 TOP CONSISTENT STEPPERS
    Days meeting daily step pledge
    #1 @ashleycarole86 7/7
    #2 @KellyBgetsfit 6/7
    #3 @jugar 6/7

Together, the five of us walked 409,139 steps or 193.7 miles.

@YinxFed has her amazing 25K (🥰) London Bridges Trek coming up... which if our step team were a relay it would have taken on average three of us to complete based on our team's daily average (which puts into perspective how great of a walk that's going to be for her!!)

Great job as always team, we had injuries and vacations and back to work and other personal challenges mixed in, so pat yourselves on the back for a great start to August! Every step counts!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    08/11 exercise - 12,332 steps and 20 minutes yoga

Did the step report and then felt inspired to get out for an evening walk! Gotta love that :)
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Greetings Friends!

Is anyone else having problems with MFP's home page feed?

All I can see are ads and MFP blogs!

Maybe it will behave on my desktop.

I'll check in later.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    [quote="jugar;I made my first polenta pie of the season for dinner tonight. I make a very thin cornmeal crust and fill it with a blend of swiss chard and any other vegetables that come in for the day, herbs, and chickpeas, then top with a bit of cheese and bake it. I love this dish and freeze squares of it to have for lunches or quick meals all through the year. This was a particularly good one. Happy tummies in the house :smiley:
    ![/quote]

That sounds yummy - what does a cornmeal crust include - an egg to hold it together?
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @jugar CW150.5
This discussion has been closed.