WaistAways Team Chat - NOVEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @DD265 That's an interesting concept that your health insurance is somehow linked to your activity. I might be wrong, but I don't know of anything like that here. How does that work exactly?

We pay premiums like any insurance policy, but excesses and 'rewards' are based on your activity levels, which in turn is measured with a points system. There are four tiers based on how many points you earn in a plan year, and in each tier the excess will be reduced until there's no excess to pay. I tend to be in the top tier or the one below; we (OH and I) have a joint policy so the targets are higher and he tends to lag behind.

Rewards aren't tier based (they used to be) with the exception of a couple I don't use where you get a bigger discount. If you earn X points, you can get cinema tickets, free Amazon Prime, a free/cheap Apple Watch, coffee etc. As an example;
    You must earn 48 points in a month to earn a free cinema ticket. The most points you can earn in a day is 8, and in a week is 40. A 30 minute run or 60 minute walk will earn me 8 points, 7000 steps is 3 points, 10,000 steps is 5 points and 12,500 steps is 8 points. As I have a Garmin, it uses heart rate rather than 'run', but my old Fitbit used to work for 'running' as it didn't have a heart rate monitor built in. There's discounted gym membership available and if you just turn up there, you get points for that - none local to us though - and you can get points for doing/volunteering at ParkRuns too, as they sponsor them in the UK.

Some stuff - like 50% off a pair of trainers each year - doesn't need you to earn activity points. I always use that discount, even if I don't strictly need the trainers before it expires!

I wouldn't pay for the insurance personally, but work covers mine and half of OH's so I think it's a good deal. :smile:
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It's quite a bit warmer today, though for some reason I am chilled through. Had my training session this morning and was stripping layers in between each activity. :D We were deadlifting this morning, and aiming for my goal of 80kg. I did 70kg, and half a rep (didn't quite get to the top to lock out) of 75kg, so very close! I am naturally inclined to sumo deadlift, which made it harder to get the weight off the ground in the first place as the bar wasn't quite as close to my body as it could be. Didn't want to change technique at such a heavy weight, so we'll try again another session with hands outside the legs. I think I could've done it today but once I'd realised about the hand placement it put a mental block in. Strength and form certainly weren't an issue at least.

I've been up since 5.15 (it's 10am now) and I'm not sure whether it's that or I'm just having a hungry day. Breakfast was some cereal and I'm going to have an apple soon. Lunch is a wrap, and we're having sausages and Yorkshire puddings for dinner. I have pre-tracked my meals and there are plenty of spare calories for snacks. Yesterday was a 'perfect day' and I'd like the same again.

Now sat here thinking that a morning nap would be a great way to not consume extra calories... ;)

ETA - did not have the apple. Microwaved the leftover fajitas from last night's dinner and had that (without wraps, saved 350+ calories) which both warmed me up and hopefully filled me up better than the apple would've!
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @DD265 I know you are probably not doing a low carb diet but they have low carb tortillas that only have 70 calories and they are incredible. I use them as pizza crust as well as for fajitas and chicken salad and everything in between. Just thought I would let you know about them.

@ellz_runs Welcome back. I wasn't here when you were here a few months ago as this is my first mo th with the team. I too do a version of keto...No more than 25grams of carbs a day but I also limit my calories to no more than 1200 calories a day. It works for me..I have lost over 100 pounds since April.. I should also add that I had a gastric sleeve in April so I am close monitored by a doctor and this rate of loss is not dangerous. Glad to have a fellow low carb team member. If you come across any good recipes let me know πŸ˜‹
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back @ellz_runs
    You sound like you have a strategy in place and support at home as well as here. Health improvements along with weight loss helps with the motivation.

I had an NSV today! When I got out of the shower I happened to glance in the mirror and I actually noticed a defined ribcage. The scale hasn't necessarily been showing consistent progress lately but those ribs sure make a girl happy. 😁
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @ellz_runs welcome back! It is always good to see you :smiley: Helping your husband see better numbers and health is a great inspiration. We all enjoy seeing how @ashleycarole86 and her husband @bowens1973 keep each other inspired and on track - and kicking each other's *kittens* when needed!! I'm sure you and yours can see some big changes. Good for you!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @ellz_runs .. your story is so inspiring and it's great to have you back.

Hoping for a better self care day today. So far things are starting off better - it's still SO warm here, it's amazing. Looking forward to getting out for my lunch walk... in the morning I snuck out for a quick one.
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Weigh-In
    PW: 218.0 (I think?)
    CW: 217.1

A loss is a loss!

Unfortunately, I tested positive for Covid. Ugh. I let all the family I saw over Thanksgiving know- since they are all vaxxed, CDC says they don't have to do anything different unless they experience symptoms. No one has said they have any yet, and it's been about 5 days since I saw anyone, so hopefully they are in the clear. I would feel so guilty.

Activity this week will probably be low. I don't even want to take my neighborhood walks, even masked, for fear of getting someone ill! Might have to wear some tracks in the carpet if I want 10k steps. Luckily, I do feel like the congestion is a little less today - and my sense of taste & smell both seem a little stronger. (Cereal almost tasted like cereal!)

It's crazy that I caught the virus, being fully vaxxed, and masked indoors - since the only places I go are the grocery stores! I'm going to isolate completely for the next 5-10 days or until the symptoms totally clear up.

Just my luck that I also have 3 interviews for an internal job at my company today! I just finished the first 1, and I think it went quite well. Fingers crossed for the next 2, and then I may ask my boss for a sick day tomorrow. I don't feel terrible, just tired and congested, but why not take the day since work is quiet. Sleep and water can only help, right?

@ellz_runs welcome back!! I am totally with you on gaining some weight back and feeling ashamed about rejoining the team. Still quite frustrated with myself but we're all in this together. And you are already making tracks with your husband's health! What is the normal or expected range for his blood glucose?

@PlaneMonkey NSV! Wooooo!!

@ashleycarole86 good for you for getting movement in late! 10 hours of sitting around is not energizing haha.
  • PlaneMonkey
    Options
    @Kali225 sucks for the confirmation you have covid but silver lining food cravings should be minimal as you recover since everything tastes like nothing! Hoping you feel better soon.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options
    @Kali225 So sorry to hear it's COVID. I'm so paranoid about getting it myself despite being double vaxxed. And a lot of it is some of what you described - guilt if I get anyone else sick.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with the job interviews!
  • jugar
    Options
    Time for a few reminders!

@ellz_runs Please let me know what weigh-in day you choose, and your weight on that day this week. That will be your starting weight for the December challenge. Thanks!

@kdblpn remember to take it easy and take plenty of deep breaths going back to work tomorrow! Enjoy the first day back :heart: :

Don't forget it is weigh-in time :smiley:

Overdue:
    @Terytha
    @tasoconnor

Due Wednesday:
    @AshenMoon
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @MoStacy
    @PlaneMonkey (aka "Ribs"!)

Tomorrow I'm going to try to post my plan for December. Which days are for throwing the logging out the window, and which are for sticking to the straight and narrow come what may. What recipes I'm going to do ahead. Which indulgences I'm going to control, which I'm going to avoid altogether, which I will enjoy with abandon. Etcetera. How are your plans coming along?
  • PlaneMonkey
    Options
    My NSV didn't translate to a SV.
    CW 193.4
    Oh well. Next week will be better.
  • jugar
    Options
    There are many hugs flying to you @kdblpn and @conleywoods and @Kali225 - you are all dealing with a ton of stuff, so be sure to hake those minutes to take a few deep breaths, being especially sure to exhale every bit of air you can. Enjoy tiny pauses like that whenever possible. All of us need these, and to remember there is only one thing we can do. The best we can. Every day. Sometimes that is just taking a good break, and sometimes it is getting the blankety-blank truck fixed. You've got this.

I just had a long interruption to writing this message, but it was a great chat with my daughter out in Alberta. I'll see her soon! Arriving here on the 12th.
This discussion has been closed.