Downsizers Team Chat - DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,783 Member
    Options
    Went diving today. I always forget how much I love to dive. The water was 58*f which is cold but with proper gear it was great. 45min swimming. I have been starving ever since 😜. What is it about water that makes the appetite grow!
  • Pippin20206
    Pippin20206 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    tahm42 wrote: »
    Went diving today. I always forget how much I love to dive. The water was 58*f which is cold but with proper gear it was great. 45min swimming. I have been starving ever since 😜. What is it about water that makes the appetite grow!

OMG I'm so jealous, only been diving a couple of times in my life but I loved it! Also terrifying because I have a phobia about deep water and sharks but still love it!!
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 12/4 steps 5804.
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone.
    Check in for 12/5:
    Steps - 7233.
    Calories - 1655 or so.
    Exercise - went for a short walk after dinner to check my back. It is better but not good enough for Disneyland. We changed the date. Bummer.
    I will do my intro when I get on the laptop so I can type faster.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Hi all - Sorry ...I am still getting the hang of things...didn't realize we check in on here daily... I'll try to do that going forward. My WI day is Monday - so I'll see you all then.
  • MeowScout
    MeowScout Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Evening Check in
    ✅Steps: 6500
    ✅Tracked

I won’t say the day has been easy, but I am so happy that I am sticking to my little goals. I went caroling to the city fire station with my Cub Scout pack today and picked up steps as a side benefit!
  • Pippin20206
    Options
    Hi all - Sorry ...I am still getting the hang of things...didn't realize we check in on here daily... I'll try to do that going forward. My WI day is Monday - so I'll see you all then.

It's up to you if you want to checkin daily and if you do, it's up to you what you want to post about. :)
  • Pippin20206
    Options
    So part of my book about fatty liver is a section written by a Dr who has a food addiction and was diagnosed with fatty liver and it's all about his struggles to get healthy etc. But I just read a sentence that really struck me. While he says he would never try to say what kind of addiction is the hardest to break, he notes that having a food addiction is the one addiction where you actually have to partake of that addiction (food) every day whilst still trying to maintain control. He said imagine if an alcoholic was told they HAD to drink a couple of mls of alcohol every day but never have more than that!

An honestly I wanted to have a little cry. It was so good to hear an acknowledgement of how hard it is to constantly be watching everything I eat and try to make good judgements when every time I get hungry I just want to belly flop face first into a buffet trough!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,382 Member
    Options
    Okies time for my into:
    I'm 43yr old female (about to turn 44 end of Dec). I live in South Australia with my partner and 4 British Bulldogs (I breed them). I've struggled with my weight and self esteem all my life, I went from the skinny rake who got teased for having no boobs in high school, to always feeling like the fat one in my group of friends. I've never felt beautiful or comfortable in my own skin, though looking back at photos now I weep to think how good I looked in my early 20s and I didn't know it.

I have chronic depression and have suffered from migraines since my late teens, I comfort eat and drink because it was always the easiest way to get a quick fix and feel good. At my heaviest I was 115kg (253.5 lbs), and in desperation I ended up getting a lap band. This helped me get down to 95kg (209.4lbs) but I didn't really change any of my eating habits and continued to binge on chips, chocolate and booze.

In late Oct this year, one night I had a horrible burning pain near my sternum which just wouldn't go away, I thought it might be trapped gas from the band, and because I'd had a similar incident about 6 month prior I thought I'd just have to breathe/walk it out. As time went on though it got to a completely unbearable level of pain. At 3am I woke up my partner and said "I don't know what this is, but it isn't stopping you have to take me to hospital". Several hours later doped up on pain meds they sent me home saying I probably passed a gallstone and needed to go to my doctor for an ultrasound. Well the ultrasound discovered that gallstones weren't the issue but I have fatty liver disease and basically my liver is so enlarged from the fat that it's causing me pain. My blood tests came back with normal liver functions (which is why it hadn't been picked up until now), which thankfully means that so far I haven't done any permanent damage and I should be able to 100% reverse this with a lot of hard work.

I was 93kg (205 lbs) when I had the pain attack, and started turning my diet around straight away, I never want to feel that level of pain again! Soon after I joined Downsizers and got a book dedicated to diets that reverse fatty liver disease. I'm now 87 kg (191.8 lbs) and my ultimate goal is to get to 70kg (154.3 lbs). Though you can be skinny and still have fatty liver disease so I'm hoping to get another ultrasound in about 6 months time and see some improvement.

I find healthy eating really challenging because I really don't like vegetables and I constantly crave fatty foods. However I've found being a part of this group very motivating and really appreciate all the encouragement that our group motivators give us. I don't have a weight goal for the month, just want to keep inching my way towards my final goal.

Thanks guys and here's to another good month!

I swear you are my twin ... Same birthday .... I have fatty liver... I am diabetic (type 2)....I suffer from migraines
  • Pippin20206
    Options

I swear you are my twin ... Same birthday .... I have fatty liver... I am diabetic (type 2)....I suffer from migraines

Do we need to ask our parents some difficult questions? :p:D
  • Pippin20206
    Options
    Daily check-in
    Calories 1058
    Steps 7557
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,503 Member
    Options
    tahm42 wrote: »

You are so adventurous! When I first started swimming I was so hungry for a few weeks. I find even when I go home to the beautiful island of Newfoundland, the salt air from the ocean makes me hungry. 🤷‍♀️

rwood566 wrote: »
    Good evening everyone.
    Check in for 12/5:
    Steps - 7233.
    Calories - 1655 or so.
    Exercise - went for a short walk after dinner to check my back. It is better but not good enough for Disneyland. We changed the date. Bummer.
    I will do my intro when I get on the laptop so I can type faster.

That’s too bad when will you go now. I am just curious, do you have to show proof of vaccinations to get in Disney. My daughter is going in Feb and I keep forgetting to ask her. I look forward to reading your introduction as you have a very inspiring journey.

You don’t have to check in daily. It can help you stay connected to the team but it is a personal choice. I find it helps me push to stick with my goals.

MeowScout wrote: »
    Evening Check in
    ✅Steps: 6500
    ✅Tracked

I won’t say the day has been easy, but I am so happy that I am sticking to my little goals. I went caroling to the city fire station with my Cub Scout pack today and picked up steps as a side benefit!

Great day! Meeting those little goals adds up to success in the long run. I was laughing with my son last night about when he was in beavers (part of scouting in Canada). We went to a fire station for a tour. They asked what does a smoke detector do. My son piped up and said it tells Mom that supper is done. I guess I burnt supper a lot back then. 😂

peng123 wrote: »
    Good morning, Downsizers! Here is my check-in for the day:

12/5:
    Calories: 1,184
    Exercise: 79 minutes on elliptical
    Steps: 14,350

I had a great day yesterday - looking forward to another one today! Have a great Monday everyone!

I love your dedication to exercise. Is the elliptical your favourite form of exercise?

Daily check-in
    Calories 1058
    Steps 7557

Awesome step day!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    ✅ Steps
    ✅ Closed rings
    ✅ Calories

I didn’t do as long swim and pool workout as I usually do. I spent a lot of time stretching after my workout. I gave myself a check for calories but I can’t be sure if it is totally accurate. My son brought some yummy desserts from a local bakery and there was no calorie information on them. I did track though. Today I am going to do mini walks for my exercise. I have one done and I will do a few more in between my chores around the apartment today.

Happy Monday!

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Steps 10,767
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Question

What time of day do you exercise and why?

Please don’t forget to do an introduction.

• peng123
    peng123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Question

What time of day do you exercise and why?

Please don’t forget to do an introduction.

@lindamtuck2018 I try to get my exercise out of the way first thing in the morning because then I don't have to worry about fitting it into my schedule if things get busy later in the day. I mainly do the elliptical because I have one in my home so it's easy - and I do enjoy it. I used to run quite a bit and I might go back to that once I've lost a little more weight. The pounding on the pavement is rough on my body - LOL!
This discussion has been closed.