WaistAways Team Chat JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm ever repeating that step count @ashleycarole86 - I hope not anyway :D

Had physio this morning (instead of training) and there isn't any plantar fasciitis/nothing wrong though there is inflammation in my shoulder (particularly the right from paintbrush wielding) and ankles. He thinks it's just a case of having irritated/fatigued the fat pad under the heel and shoulders, so a couple of more restful days then back into it. I did get the final part of my week 1 training program done which was intervals on the rower and he was pleased with how far I got. Week 2 was a 10k recovery run, which will be split into at least 2, probably 3, and a weight lifting session.

Flooring fitters are here now. I wanted to stay upstairs until they'd finished and only see the finished result, but I'm so hungry that needs must. We got the other little bits done in time. There's still plenty to get done, but no more hard deadlines thankfully. We agreed to move the bare minimum of furniture tonight, then I think we'll have a takeaway for tea and just blob. I've taken tomorrow off work so I can start on cleaning/organising at a more leisurely pace.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods Congrats to your daughter (and her proud parents!) Glad you had a great night together celebrating.

1/24 exercise:
    7133 steps + 47 minutes cycling + 10 minutes upper body strength

Was up before work to make my breakfast, Brad does 99% of the cooking so the rhythm of my days are always different when he's gone.

Make it a great one folks!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,093 Member
    Options
    Guess what? Wednesday weigh-ins will soon be due! I love having Tuesdays off from weigh-ins, but here come the wonderful Wednesday people:

@PlaneMonkey
    @MoStacy
    @metaphysicalstudio
    @MandiSaysHey
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @AshenMoon

Hopefully you have had a good week, but if not - you get to start a great week right away after weighing in! Don't let it derail you!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,135 Member
    Options
    @jugar Habits are going well:
    Minimum 5,000 of my step goal to be met by actual steps
    -Doing better on this one than planned. Hit every day but pleasantly surprised that a lot of days are exceeding that. With the cold it forced me to get creative walking around the house. I mostly set this goal to ensure I didn't have any days where I just didn't walk around at all, especially since I've been biking a lot.
    Push-ups every second day
    Missed one day but just made up for it the next. Reminds me to fit in small efforts throughout the day. Thankful I can do them now!
    Core work once per week
    I am doing this but my weekly session is due this week. I really don't like working my core so this puts it top of mind!
    Yoga/stretching 4x/week
    I am stretching more frequently now as one of my bike programs so I've exceeded this target... most days I take at least a 5 minute post-ride stretch, and I even did a few longer ones. Fit in a couple yoga sessions here or there.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @kellie_erin I have similar thoughts. We could manage without my husband working, but he just landed the dream job and has no interest in being a stay at home parent. We can't rely on family for childcare, so I'm hoping his (lower) salary more than covers it. I earn over twice what he does and have better prospects, but it's a lot of pressure and a bigger impact financially if I were to reduce hours for childcare. I tell myself plenty of people manage on lower/less stable incomes than we have but it seems like a massive hurdle to me! I am entitled to 12 months maternity leave (the UK is generous in terms of how much you get off) but my income from both employer and government won't be sufficient. I'm saving now, but can't set aside as much as I'd hoped!

@evmakeschanges that's great advice, thank you. It's very easy to neglect the little things until you get a big shock.

@jugar I've not really given my habits much thought over the past few days! Finally getting a bit of breathing room and I want to make sure I track everything today. That's enough. :)

The flooring looks great. I can already see little paw prints all over the laminate though, and I've been cleaning the windowsill every day. :D The skip has been and gone already; two guys brought it and very kindly helped me load which was much appreciated. The conservatory is still full of furniture (only the dining table, half the sofa and footstool are in the living room so far) but the garage is now relatively back to normal. I am working some of today; have some urgent testing to do for two customers but hoping to have the full afternoon off. I'm just going to do what draws me, probably resetting the office first, and everything else I spot will be added to to-do lists. It is cold but lovely blue skies, so I will go out for a walk at lunch (in proper walking boots as a precaution!) to feed the ducks and see how I feel, then maybe do a short run round the village later on. In road trainers, not trail shoes!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    CW: 144.2

Jenn
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    1/24: 40 minute walk + 12 minutes elliptical + 30 minutes weightlifting + 9589 steps
    1/25: 46 minute walk + 15 minutes yoga + 42 minutes elliptical + 13469

Whoa! I have been making a real effort to up my steps and workouts. I gained some weight this week, but I don't mind. I feel pleased with this physical output, and it feels really nice to be getting more movement into my sedentary life! It's a win.

Jenn
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    CW 191.8
    February will be a reset for me. I'm back at work beginning Friday and we have two large meals planned for this weekend (that I will be conscious of my portions for!) I'm hoping that Monday can begin my new normal of reincorporating intentional exercise into my life and once again having routine.

Regarding having kids @kellie_erin, I had the same debate as you about 6 years ago. I thought I wanted them, and bought a house that was family friendly and gave up my shift work career for a Monday to Friday lifestyle to have them... But then a couple of things happened: we'd moved closer to family during this process so I was able to develop a stronger bond with nieces and nefews, and we got a kitten who filled a lot of my maternal needs at the time. I got to thinking about all the things I liked about my lifestyle that I would have to give up if I had children, and that was best case scenario. I have friends and relatives (a scary high percentage) who have children with medical issues and special needs that meant their lives now revolve around that child's specific needs. Everywhere they thought their life or career was going is now gone. I know enough about myself that I'm too selfish and would resent a child that derailed my plans to that extent. Possibly if I had been younger when I met my husband and we got ourselves financially established it would be a different story, but the risk of losing everything I liked about my life in order to have kids tipped the scales to where I was already leaning. I find owning a dog too much work and neediness. I child deserves better than the level of effort I'd want to invest. Having finances thrown into the decision making matrix was part of why I waited until it was 'too late' and we were too old to have the energy level long term for kids. kids are a lifetime commitment that doesn't go away. If you make the decision because you feel backed into a corner, it might still be the right decision for you, but no matter which way you go, you will likely always question your choice. I still occasionally question mine, and I LOVE my life. These decisions are forks in the road that define your path. I hope your career and school issues are sorted quickly so you can make your decision without the added pressure.

Ohh, FYI, working for the Canadian federal government you get mat leave topped up to your full salary for the entire 12 months so maybe there's something in your field available you could get a salaried position to ease at least one stress....
This discussion has been closed.