This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Maryanne, I’m so sorry that you had to let Lola go! I know your heart is hurting, but of course it was the right thing to do for her. She had a wonderful life with you and is now living her best life over the rainbow bridge.

I think you are right about the shelf stable foods going away. I was never a big fan of most of them and I can understand why they aren’t surviving. The last time I looked at what NS had to offer I was impressed with the variety available in their frozen foods, but not so much with the shelf stable items. Aside from a few breakfast and snack options, there were very few things I would have ordered. The issue with the frozen items though is storage space. Even though I have a freezer separate from my refrigerator, it would be difficult for me to store a 28 day supply of frozen meals if I were doing NS again.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    We went a little overboard at the beginning of the pandemic. We have two freezers, the freezer side of a side by side, and the freezer top of a freezer on top frig BUT they are still pretty well stocked with pandemic supplies. I'm determined to start using but no sooner do I make that resolution than DH reads about the bird flu causing a shortage of chicken and him wanting me to fill what space there is in the freezers with chicken. LOL!

He's also fallen in love with my Prissy's Vidalia Onion/Summer Tomato salad dressing but thinks he can make it. Mr. "I don't cook anything more than a cup of coffee" has given me a list of things to add to the grocery order tomorrow for this purpose. This should be good. LOL!
  • PamS53
    Just saw on the news that Jenny Craig is going to be closing their stores and transitioning to an on-line model only. Not sure what that means for their food, but it will be putting people out of their jobs for sure.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    So sorry to hear you lost Lola. I know she was very special to you. Have a back up meal ready just in case DH,s sauce is a bomb.
  • PamS53
    Yay! I just read that Dancing With The Stars is coming back to ABC network TV! And Tyra Banks is gone. They are returning to their format before Tyra, with Julianne Hough interviewing the contestants after their performances. Alfonso Ribiera will assume the hosting role. Judges will be Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Toniola, and Dereck Hough. I missed it while it was on Disney+ but there was no way I was going to pay a subscription fee for 1 show.
  • Helene610
    I don’t even know who was on the show while it was on Disney+. Like you, I wasn’t subscribing. It’s hard to find the time to watch the streaming channels I already have.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Yay! I just read that Dancing With The Stars is coming back to ABC network TV! And Tyra Banks is gone. They are returning to their format before Tyra, with Julianne Hough interviewing the contestants after their performances. Alfonso Ribiera will assume the hosting role. Judges will be Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Toniola, and Dereck Hough. I missed it while it was on Disney+ but there was no way I was going to pay a subscription fee for 1 show.

Yes and yes. I guess I'm old but I just haven't been able to get into the streaming thing. Alfonso will be great as a host.

Though, she adds somewhat sheepishly, I do have a Disney+ subscription just to have access to Hamilton.
  • mdubbs1
    The car place has all the parts for my van and it should be done tomorrow. Just for kicks I started a list of all the things I've done in that van and once I got done I sort of see why I have a sentimental attachment. If we hadn't just lost Jack and Lola I probably wouldn't feel quite the same about it. But I also admit I'm just not in the mood to go used Sienna shopping. (Wouldn't buy a new one because the seats don't pop out and I use my van like a truck).
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I don’t even know who was on the show while it was on Disney+. Like you, I wasn’t subscribing. It’s hard to find the time to watch the streaming channels I already have.

In addition to Disney I pay for Paramount + for a couple of DH's science fiction shows plus so I can watch the new Criminal Minds (which I haven't gotten around to yet).
  • Helene610
    I have Prime, Hallmark, Paramount, Apple and Acorn. Acorn is British shows. I watch Prime and Hallmark 4-5 times a week. The others I watch only if a show catches my interest. I’ll be binge watching Ted Lasso this week. The new season started early April but I like to watch several episodes back to back. I’ll probably watch more streaming while the Writers’ strike is shutting down many shows.
  • PamS53
    I only have Amazon Prime and rarely watch it. We are considering cancelling cable because the cost has gotten ridiculous, but I’m reluctant because I find streaming confusing. Usually by the time I figure out what I want to watch and get it queued up, it’s bedtime for me, lol. I still want to be able to get my local channels and to be able to record some of my shows, and from what I understand, that’s a lot more complicated without the DVR box my cable provider supplies. I’m not sure I want to invest the time to figure it all out. I wish I had a teen ager in the house to figure it all out, set it up, then teach me how to use it.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I have Prime, Hallmark, Paramount, Apple and Acorn. Acorn is British shows. I watch Prime and Hallmark 4-5 times a week. The others I watch only if a show catches my interest. I’ll be binge watching Ted Lasso this week. The new season started early April but I like to watch several episodes back to back. I’ll probably watch more streaming while the Writers’ strike is shutting down many shows.

That's a good point! I have purchased a bunch of shows on xfinity over time so will have stuff to watch and of course I can always add more. I'm also taping some stuff and "banking" so to speak (Like the early seasons of Castle). I'm also saving Criminal Minds for the summer "lull". What I should do is get into the cabinet where I keep CDs I've purchased and see what all I have that I've never watched or watched so long ago that I wouldn't mind watching it again.

One new network show I've really enjoyed is Will Trent. I know I must have read those books but have no specific memory of doing so.

I'm currently working my way through the Big Bang Theory for the second time. It reminds me of my sister.
  • PamS53
    I saw in today’s paper that Jenny Craig is declaring bankruptcy and closing all stores, though some franchise locations may remain open. It sounds like there will not be any more JC food produced or distributed, either.
  • mdubbs1
    I saw in today’s paper that Jenny Craig is declaring bankruptcy and closing all stores, though some franchise locations may remain open. It sounds like there will not be any more JC food produced or distributed, either.

There hasn't been any JC food listed on ebay, other than what's available on Amazon, for over a year. That probably is an indicator that not a lot of folks have been ordering a ton of food. I'm somewhat sorry to see them go but, just like NS, their food just isn't what it used to be.
  • mdubbs1
    I finally got my van back so I'm not housebound any more! LOL!

Last night I paid to watch a livestream of Walker Hayes at Red Rocks. Since I imagine my days of live concert attendance are likely over, this is a new alternative. I just wish you could have paid extra to have had it available a day or so (like the LIndeville livestream recently). Instead I had to stay up :LATE! I enjoyed it but I do wish they'd shown the whole concert. I'm used to a concert being opening act(s), intermission, headliner, intermission, headliner, break/applause; encore; break/applause; 2 or 3 more encores. This was 45 minutes of the headliner, which of course is the most important part, but it seemed like a partial concert.
  • mdubbs1
    I fell in love with Prissy's Vidalia Onion Summer Tomato salad dressing. I made the mistake of letting DH try it and he loves it but doesn't want to pay for it. So he's decided he can make it (laughter is permitted).

Okay, DH's process so far in trying to reproduce Prissy's salad dressing:

1. Announcing he can do it
    2. Buying all the ingredients listed on the label, even ones we have
    3. Buying a jar of spaghetti sauce when he drove me to the supermarket this week (it's on the ingredient pile; I'm afraid to ask)
    4. Researching "sweet and sour" tomato onion salad dressing (that's not how I'd describe Prissy's but what do I know?)
    5. Having me buy him mustard seed and lemon juice when I went to the store today

Will there ever be an actual attempt to make dressing? Time will tell.
  • PamS53
    Lol, Maryanne! I’m waiting with baited breath for updates!
  • mdubbs1
    Lol, Maryanne! I’m waiting with baited breath for updates!

Someone this morning was asking me for the over/under (I think that's gambling talk?) on whether he ever actually attempts to make it. I have no clue. We're talking about a man whose idea of cooking is microwaving a can of soup. However, a few times he has tried to make something important to him like his mother's pickles.
  • mdubbs1
    Well, Jenny Craig is going out of business. No question their food isn't nearly as good as it used to be. I did wonder why there hasn't been any on ebay for over a year (except for what's available on Amazon). I have plenty of NS food, plenty of Wonderslim type packet meals, and plenty of Optavia so I'm not going to run out of diet options. This week I'm doing Optavia.
  • PamS53
    edited May 2023
    I just got home from a routine checkup with my hand surgeon. He is pleased with the progress, slow though it is. He is leaving his current practice group, but is staying local so I plan to follow him to the new practice group if they accept my insurance. I’ll see him once more in July at the current office and by then his new partnership should be official. I was worried when I was first notified that he was leaving as no information was provided about whether he was staying local. The letter came from the hospital and they, of course, wanted me to transfer to one of their other providers. If he were leaving the area I’d have no choice, but since he will still be local I will try to stay with him. I can’t imagine an orthopedic group not taking Medicare, so I’m pretty confident that it will work out to stay with him.
  • mdubbs1
    I just got home from a routine checkup with my hand surgeon. He is pleased with the progress, slow though it is. He is leaving his current practice group, but is staying local so I plan to follow him to the new practice group if they accept my insurance. I’ll see him once more in July at the current office and by then his new partnership should be official. I was worried when I was first notified that he was leaving as no information was provided about whether he was staying local. The letter came from the hospital and they, of course, wanted me to transfer to one of their other providers. If he were leaving the area I’d have no choice, but since he will still be local I will try to stay with him. I can’t imagine an orthopedic group not taking Medicare, so I’m pretty confident that it will work out to stay with him.

I'm so glad that you're making progress and will be able to follow the doctor you trust. That's SO important!
  • mdubbs1
    I'm haunting ebay looking for Jenny Craig food, discontinued NS items and discontinued Optavia items.

I think I'll try something different next week. Usually I eat the same food all week but maybe I'll try one day each of everything and see how the variety goes!

Meanwhile I feed colonies and work!

DH and I are trying to decide when to get our next vaccination. Currently we're thinking at the same time as the flu shot, maybe late September.

I went to the endocrinologist this week. They have also dropped the mask mandate; seems like everyone acted in concert around here. She thinks masks might be needed again in the fall, depending on how things go, to which my reply was "well, good luck with that".

She was happy with my bone density results so I guess we'll stick with the Boniva. Ultrasound showed some changes in the cysts in my thyroid but nothing that concerned her.
  • PamS53
    Today I went to MIL’s assisted living and attended their Mother’s Day tea with her. I don’t think she really wanted to go,and neither did I, but DH really wanted her to go for some reason. It was nice, but I don’t think she really enjoyed it that much. Unfortunately, the food was not very diet friendly, but at least there wasn’t a lot of it. The portions were quite dainty, lol!

A friend’s husband was working out at his gym this morning when he lost his balance and fell backward, hitting his head on a barbell. He was unable to move or feel his feet, so an ambulance was called. He’s been in surgery since about 4 PM and I’m anxiously awaiting an update. They were told the surgery would be at least 4 hours, so there should have been news by now. I’m hoping they are just overwhelmed with trying to notify people and haven’t gotten to me yet. I don’t want to call or text and add to the numbers of people asking for news as I know she will let me know when she can. She was told he would be in the hospital for several days before moving to rehab. What a freak accident! Gyms can be dangerous places — best to stay away!
  • PamS53
    Congrats on getting a good report from the endocrinologist! I think I’m due for a bone density test this year, probably in August. I get them every 2 years now, since my osteoporosis has improved to osteopenia now since I started getting Prolia injections.

I haven’t thought about when to get my next Covid vaccination. I got my last one in early October last year because I wanted to have it before I had my surgery on my hand.

Just got an update about my friend’s husband. He made it through the surgery but is still sedated and intubated. He’s in a neuro-trauma ICU so he’s being watched closely. Not much more detail beyond that.
  • PamS53
    The more I learn about my friend’s husband and his injury, the more I realize how lucky he was. He fell backward and his neck landed on a barbell. If it had been an inch higher, he would probably have died, or at best been left a quadriplegic. Today he is able to feel and move his legs and is breathing on his own. He’s in a lot of pain and has a long road of rehab ahead of him, but he’s VERY lucky to be alive and with a good prognosis for a full or almost full recovery.
  • mdubbs1
    Today I went to MIL’s assisted living and attended their Mother’s Day tea with her. I don’t think she really wanted to go,and neither did I, but DH really wanted her to go for some reason. It was nice, but I don’t think she really enjoyed it that much. Unfortunately, the food was not very diet friendly, but at least there wasn’t a lot of it. The portions were quite dainty, lol!

I'm sorry you and your MIL both got roped into the "tea". Sometimes what men get into their heads just isn't logical but try telling them that. LOL! Mine has decided he can make salad dressing as good as my Prissy's vidalia onion and summer tomato. His first batch is AWFUL but he likes it.
  • mdubbs1
    The more I learn about my friend’s husband and his injury, the more I realize how lucky he was. He fell backward and his neck landed on a barbell. If it had been an inch higher, he would probably have died, or at best been left a quadriplegic. Today he is able to feel and move his legs and is breathing on his own. He’s in a lot of pain and has a long road of rehab ahead of him, but he’s VERY lucky to be alive and with a good prognosis for a full or almost full recovery.

Well, rehab's no fun but I'm glad he's alive!!
  • mdubbs1
    Between NS and Optavia discontinuing some of my faves and Jenny Craig going totally out of business, I've been scouring ebay for inventory. Now our Sammy's favorite cat food has been discontinued to I'm adding that to the list. The piles of inventory are getting added to the pandemic stock, creating quite the storage nightmare. Not to mention our mail man is probably super annoyed.
  • PamS53
    Last week was a mostly quiet week. SIL flew in Saturday for a quick visit and left on Tuesday. She was on good behavior and was less irritating than usual, lol! MIL was glad to see her. We went out to dinner a couple of times during her visit, once with MIL and once without.

I got a haircut on Thursday which was badly needed. I think my hair is longer than I’ve ever worn it and I love the length, but it was definitely in need of shaping. My stylist put in some long layers and so far I’m pleased, although I haven’t worked with it very much yet.

My friend’s husband came home on Friday. She says there are still significant deficits and restrictions and he will be continuing in PT and OT for some time. She’s concerned about being able to care for him at home. Fortunately, their pre-med adult son is currently living with them, so he will be able to provide some help and support. Her brother, who is a doctor, his ex-wife, and one of their sons (who is also a doctor) came for the weekend, so at least for these first few days she has lots of help. I’ve been mulling over menus for taking a meal to them sometime next week, possibly. I know she doesn’t like to cook and her husband is an excellent cook, but likely not able to do that right now. The problem is that they live about a 30-45 minute drive from me, depending on traffic. So anything I make will have to travel safely and still be edible by the time I get it there. I’m leaning toward prepping some type of slider sandwiches that she can just put in the oven for 20 minutes, with a broccoli slaw salad and dessert. Easy to make, easy to eat, and not hard for her to manage.

I’m struggling a bit with the diet, but still working at it. My weight loss has slowed down from the first 2 months. Right now I’m hovering at 14 pounds down. I’ve been there for almost 2 weeks with some bounces up and down. I know eating out twice last weekend didn’t help, either. I had my monthly checkin at the clinic on Friday and I’ll be trying a different appetite suppressant now. The previous 3 I’ve tried have not worked well for me at all. Besides continuing to be very hungry, one gave me digestive issues and another gives me insomnia. Hopefully the next one will curb my hunger without either of the other issues.

I’m getting ready for a road trip with my sister and niece. We are driving to Milford, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati) to visit the wife of my cousin who died just over a year ago. She moved from NC back to Ohio and built a new home in the town where she and her husband had lived and raised their daughters. She’s very excited that we are coming. My sister and I are working on healthy and low calorie snacks to take with us so as not to derail either of our diets. She has lost 40 pounds and is so happy with her success that she is very motivated not to sabotage it! She will be a good influence on me and I will try to be a good support for her.

So that’s the update on me. What’s going on with you two?
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - good luck on the diet! I actually took a packet of low fat salad dressing with me the last time I ate out and had a house salad and Maryland crab soup. I was pretty proud of myself. Of course after I see the cardiologist in 3 weeks I'll probably fall off the wagon briefly after months of being good but hopefully I can get back on track quickly!

Have fun on the trap. I've been to Ohio exactly once, with my grandparents to visit relatives, and that was a long, long time ago! I've got very few memories but I know they let me go up in their attic, go through their old books and take any I wanted - that was 7th heaven for young Maryanne!

I'm glad your friend's husband is home but sorry he's got such a long road ahead of him. That's rough!!

I'm working on something my boss decided had to be done by month's end even though the client can't be bothered to answer any of our questions so methinks they care less about it being done by month's end. LOL!