This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Happy anniversary even though under less than ideal conditions. Once MIL is in a facility, maybe you can go out to dinner to celebrate. Forty years is something the celebrate.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Pam - good luck to MIL and DH and here's hoping you eventually get to celebrate your anniversary!

Helene - I'm sure all kinds of services have been disrupted! Not fun!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Today we are hoping to get MIL moved to the skilled nursing facility. She was deemed too weak to do the 3 hours daily that a rehab facility requires, so skilled nursing was the only option. We are hoping a brief stay there will help her regain strength so that she can go back to assisted living. If not, it will become an expensive proposition to figure out what is next for her. After 20 days in skilled nursing, a $196 day copay starts, so we really hope to see enough improvement to avoid that.

I am proud of myself for sticking to my diet program, despite all the chaos and exhaustion of the past week. My weight loss has slowed a little, but I am still losing. I should get my appetite suppressing medication in the next day or two, so hopefully it will get easier then.
  • Helene610
    Fingers crossed that MIL do well in skilled nursing facility. DH did skilled nursing after his heart attack and specialized rehab a year later. The amount of therapy was night and day. DH wasn’t considered in need of the specialized therapy first time around. They are very picky about who they take. He got in after bypass surgery and it was multiple therapy sessions a day. It’s sounds like your MIL wouldn’t be strong enough for that.

We went to an open house at BIG ARTS yesterday. In normal times, they have live performances, an art gallery and arts classes. Nothing’s happened since the hurricane hurricane.yesterday started with a documentary on the history of the Sanibel Lighthouse. It’s the most recognizable landmark on the island. It’s a four legged metal structure with the staircase in the center of the legs, protected by a metal tube. Part of one leg was ripped off during the storm but the lighthouse still stood. It was relit just two weeks ago. This was followed by a live performances by the community brass band and the BIG ARTS chorus. Between performances, there were appetizers in the lobby and the art gallery was open. We saw a few people there we hadn’t seen since the pandemic. It was a nice break from everyday activities.

• mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Today we are hoping to get MIL moved to the skilled nursing facility. She was deemed too weak to do the 3 hours daily that a rehab facility requires, so skilled nursing was the only option. We are hoping a brief stay there will help her regain strength so that she can go back to assisted living. If not, it will become an expensive proposition to figure out what is next for her. After 20 days in skilled nursing, a $196 day copay starts, so we really hope to see enough improvement to avoid that.

I am proud of myself for sticking to my diet program, despite all the chaos and exhaustion of the past week. My weight loss has slowed a little, but I am still losing. I should get my appetite suppressing medication in the next day or two, so hopefully it will get easier then.

In the midst of all that sticking to the diet is fantastic!!

It's a shame your MIL can't go to rehab. Sounds like she's needing some of that.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that MIL do well in skilled nursing facility. DH did skilled nursing after his heart attack and specialized rehab a year later. The amount of therapy was night and day. DH wasn’t considered in need of the specialized therapy first time around. They are very picky about who they take. He got in after bypass surgery and it was multiple therapy sessions a day. It’s sounds like your MIL wouldn’t be strong enough for that.

We went to an open house at BIG ARTS yesterday. In normal times, they have live performances, an art gallery and arts classes. Nothing’s happened since the hurricane hurricane.yesterday started with a documentary on the history of the Sanibel Lighthouse. It’s the most recognizable landmark on the island. It’s a four legged metal structure with the staircase in the center of the legs, protected by a metal tube. Part of one leg was ripped off during the storm but the lighthouse still stood. It was relit just two weeks ago. This was followed by a live performances by the community brass band and the BIG ARTS chorus. Between performances, there were appetizers in the lobby and the art gallery was open. We saw a few people there we hadn’t seen since the pandemic. It was a nice break from everyday activities.

Sounds like a welcome break from everything and maybe a touch of return to a bit of what was normal before?
  • mdubbs1
    Smokie came through surgery with flying colors. Because she was coming home on meds and is impossible to pill, needs to be kept quiet for a week or so, and needs her incision inspected in a week or so, deciding to board her was a fairly easy decision (even if DH isn't too happy about it). So yesterday I drove to downtown DC, picked her up, drove to the vet in north Baltimore County and then home to west Baltimore County, about 150 miles total. Not fun although the drive down yesterday was the easiest of the 3 trips I've made. Here's hoping her after care can all be done up here!
  • mdubbs1
    If the cheeto is actually arrested Tuesday I will consider that "happy birthday to me". What a despicable excuse for a human being.
  • PamS53
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    If the cheeto is actually arrested Tuesday I will consider that "happy birthday to me". What a despicable excuse for a human being.

I agree. I look forward to seeing him in handcuffs, though I saw a post on Twitter saying that he’s planning to barricade himself in at Mar-a-lago. I wonder what all of his crazy MAGAts will do then?
  • Helene610
    Watching the news today, they said the NY District Attorney had not announced an arrest date. Trump put out Tuesday himself and told his base to show up and demonstrate that day. Sounds like he’s gearing up for another January 6th. They also said NY police would be prepared as they’ve had many high profile defendants taken in before. I think an arrest is coming but time will tell if it’s Tuesday. His followers probably learned nothing from seeing his supporters get arrested for January 6th.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 wrote: »

I agree. I look forward to seeing him in handcuffs, though I saw a post on Twitter saying that he’s planning to barricade himself in at Mar-a-lago. I wonder what all of his crazy MAGAts will do then?

What might happen could be horrendous! I just have never understood why he wasn't in jail decades ago. Obviously the "system" let us down!
  • mdubbs1
    I've GOT to get started on the next newsletter so today I spent a little time writing up my farewell to Jack. It ended up being pretty long so I guess this newsletter's going to be an 8-pager. Our old printer used to get all excited when I'd bring in one of those - obviously his business wasn't great. The current printer has enough business he doesn't need to get excited about how many pages the CROM newsletter is. That's a more much rational approach. LOL!
  • PamS53
    I graduated today from occupational therapy! Have met and exceeded all of my goals, so they cut me loose today.

I tried to log my dinner tonight on this app and kept running into issues. It appears that they want you to start a free trial in order to log your food. I don’t like free trials because I forget to cancel them and end up being charged. I will have to find a different app I guess.
  • Helene610
    Congrats on graduating OT. You put a lot of work into regain gas much function as possible. How long is it since the accident?
  • mdubbs1
    I graduated today from occupational therapy! Have met and exceeded all of my goals, so they cut me loose today.

I tried to log my dinner tonight on this app and kept running into issues. It appears that they want you to start a free trial in order to log your food. I don’t like free trials because I forget to cancel them and end up being charged. I will have to find a different app I guess.

Congrats on your graduation!!! Do you feel like you made all the progress you wanted?

I avoid free trials like the plague so I'm with you on that one!
  • mdubbs1
    The UPS store where CROM gets its mail has this bad habit of piling up a huge pile rather than putting it out into the box and then emailing me. So I spent Tuesday (my birthday) working my way through one of those huge piles. But it feels good to have one thing caught up!
  • PamS53
    Helene, my accident was November 30, 2021. I haven’t regained full function of my hand yet, but I expect to continue to progress over time. I doubt I’ll ever get back to 100%, but I hope to gain more strength in my grip and hopefully more strength in the pinky. Time will tell.

Happy belated birthday, Maryanne!
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, belated birthday wishes from me too. Did you do anything special to celebrate?
    Pam, I was thinking it was a year. I didn’t realize it was almost a year and a half. Considering how serious your injuries were, it’s amazing you’ve recovered so much functional use. It’s encouraging that you’re still seeing progress. That’s something to celebrate.
  • PamS53
    The MyFitnessPal site is now letting me log food again without signing up for a membership trial. I tried a couple of other apps and finally found one that I liked, but this one is still the easiest one for me to use. I compared them today by logging my food on both and came up with different totals, so not sure which is more accurate. MFP came out a little lower than the other one. There were pluses and minuses for both apps. The other app has a better page in terms of the data it displays and how easy it is to see how your totals for the day measure up against the goals you’ve set, but it calculates your calorie target for you instead of allowing you to set it yourself. No site is perfect.
  • mdubbs1
    Thanks for the birthday wishes. All I really did that day was let myself eat whatever I wanted. The following day my best friend took me out to dinner.

This weekend I'm working on the CROM newsletter instead of working which almost seems like vacation time. LOL!

Pam - here's hoping your hand continues to improve. Mine has although - like yours - it will never be 100% what it was before.
  • PamS53
    We are very relieved that MIL is cleared to return to her assisted living facility tomorrow. We had been given a notice that Medicare was denying coverage at the skilled nursing facility after tomorrow, so on the advice of the facility I filed an appeal to request more days since we weren’t positive she would be cleared by then. Today I was notified that the appeal was granted, but luckily, she won’t need any extra days. So tomorrow morning we will go and pack up everything and take her back to her apartment. She was disappointed not to go today, but the assisted living facility wanted to make sure that they had all of her current medications in their system before she arrived, so it was better to wait until tomorrow. That seemed like a reasonable request to us and since she was covered through tonight we didn’t push for discharge today.
  • Helene610
    Glad to hear that things worked out about MIL going home. It sounds like she’s eager to go back. That’s huge since she had reservations about moving to assisted living to begin with.
    Just heard that Grand Jury voted to indict Trump on hush money case.
  • PamS53
    Oh Happy Day! Got MIL back in her assisted living this morning and this afternoon, news of tRump’s indictment! And it’s not even my birthday, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    Oh Happy Day! Got MIL back in her assisted living this morning and this afternoon, news of tRump’s indictment! And it’s not even my birthday, lol!

It's not my birthday either but I'll take it (and congrats on your MIL). Now do I wish it was for one of his more substantial crimes? Of course I do. I would just like to see him jailed!
  • mdubbs1
    edited March 2023
    I fed this morning, went by the ATM and then went to FOUR grocery stores to get everything on my list (and it wasn't even that long!)

Got to the rotisserie chicken display at the last store. A large man, together with his cart, was basically blocking the display. Having already been to 3 other stores, my patience quota was shot. I quietly reached by him for a chicken. Then I changed my mind, put it back, took another and said something like "I want this size instead" and chuckled. He chuckled and then asked me to explain the display. Which I did - top shelf vs bottom shelf - sounds like a country western drinking song. LOL! We ended up having a nice, if brief, exchange.

I am deliberately ignoring my work email box (my vacation message is on like it is every Friday). I updated my accounts for April. Then called cardiology to make sure everything was going okay with Smokey Mac (his foster mom - Mary Jo Putney- took him to the appointment). He's actually going better than expected. Now I'm checking my usual daily online haunts (everything from nutrisystem and other diet sites to cats to dogs to country music twitter accounts to the Post and the Times).
  • mdubbs1
    sv2im0l3lbcp.png
  • PamS53
    Good one, Maryanne!
  • Helene610
    Explain the rotisserie chicken shelving. My stores just have them on a flat display. Also happy about Indictment. I feel for the poor, misguided souls that actually believe he did nothing wrong. You have to wonder if anything he does could open their eyes. I wonder if Fox will cover the surrender, etc, considering how their anchors have spent years putting a positive spin on everything.
  • mdubbs1
    edited April 2023
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Explain the rotisserie chicken shelving. My stores just have them on a flat display. Also happy about Indictment. I feel for the poor, misguided souls that actually believe he did nothing wrong. You have to wonder if anything he does could open their eyes. I wonder if Fox will cover the surrender, etc, considering how their anchors have spent years putting a positive spin on everything.

Nothing fancy about the chickens. They just started selling two sizes. The bigger (more expensive) ones are on the higher shelves; the smaller ones are on the lower shelves. For some reason that made me think about all the country western songs that reference the better booze being on the top shelves and the cheap stuff being on the bottom shelf. E.g. there's a song about turning 29 that has a line like "time to start drinking from a higher shelf". And another song that references "drinking the bottom shelf dry".

Googled it---

"Is there a difference between top shelf and bottom shelf liquor?

The theory behind the top shelf/bottom shelf divide is simple: In a bar, more expensive spirits sit on the harder-to-reach higher shelves since they're ordered less frequently, while workhorse bottles at a lower price point are kept within easy reach."
  • Helene610
    We’ll, I guess I learned something new about the top shelf chickens and liquor.