This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Pam, sorry the test was so painful but at least you have some answers. It certainly seems like you have permanent damage and should be compensated. Not that money can make what happened right.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    The pain I experience in my ankle is so infrequent I don’t think there’s much point in being reevaluated for it. I had 1 day last week where it hurt when I walked on it, but it only lasted about 15 minutes. Kind of bizarre, really, as there is no pattern to it, no identifiable cause, and no predicting when or if it will happen again. It doesn’t bother me enough to really impact my life, so I’ll just live with it unless it worsens.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Pam - here's hoping you can get your claim settled. As Helene said, it won't make you whole but it doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it!

Helene - I went to P/T for the heel for almost 3 years. Everyone knew there would be a degree of permanent disability. We were all just working hard to minimize it to the extent possible and, for the most part, I think we succeeded. But when I sit for awhile, or get very tired, the limp comes out and sometimes the pain. What I am going to have to do something about at some point in the future is my left hip. But I'm hoping to keep on keeping on as long as these colonies need fed. They aren't young colonies so as long as we don't add to them - and we're all determined not to - they won't go on forever.

I'm being bad with my eating for a couple weeks. I have to admit I'm REALLY enjoying myself but before too long I'll have to weight and get back on the wagon. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    A sunny day here today. We're at the point of DH foisting cucumbers on anyone who drops by. That time of year. I can't wait for the tomatoes!!!

• PamS53
    Maryanne, I wished I lived close enough to take some of those cucumbers! I love cucumbers, DH hates them, lol!
  • Helene610
    Have you ever had cucumber salad? It’s a combo of sliced cucumbers, sliced red onion, a bit of sugar and salt and red or white wine vinegar. You sprinkle the cucumbers with the sugar and salt and let it absorb for 10 minutes. Then you add the vinegar and stir everything together. It’s light and delicious. Google cucumber salad and you’ll see several variations of the recipe. It couldn’t be easier.
  • PamS53
    Helene, that was a staple in our household growing up. I rarely make it anymore since DH won’t touch it.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, I wished I lived close enough to take some of those cucumbers! I love cucumbers, DH hates them, lol!

I wish you were too We gave a friend some yesterday when she dropped off some stuff and she said she'd been gifted some more by another friend. I love most vegetables but there are a couple - cucumbers, asparagus - that DH adores and I won't touch.
  • Helene610
    Do you like pickles? I have some mini cakes that I’m thinking of adding to a jar of pickle juice.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Do you like pickles? I have some mini cakes that I’m thinking of adding to a jar of pickle juice.

DH has his mom's recipes for pickles (that get frozen). I hope he doesn't decide to do that because there's no room in the freezers (and he never eats them; he just makes and freezes them). LOL!
  • Helene610
    Darn auto correct. That was mini cukes not cakes.
  • Helene610
    We’ll, he can always give away pickles instead of just cukes.
  • mdubbs1
    edited July 2022
    We’ll, he can always give away pickles instead of just cukes.

That would be so funny!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Primary election day here in Maryland. DH and I dropped our ballots in a drop box weeks ago so no scurrying around for us. I imagine the candidates are scurrying although polls and media are showing a dramatic lack of interest. The Baltimore Sun, Washington Post and President Obama all endorsed Tom Perez for governor so we'll see how he does. We got a nasty mailer a couple days ago, apparently funded by a Perez PAC, labelling Peter Franchot, another leading candidate, as a wolf in sheep's clothing. Lots of red, lots of photos of sheep, and a photo of Franchot arm in arm with one of the Republican candidates for governor.
  • PamS53
    I saw the hand surgeon today. After a thorough exam and review of my history and x-rays, he said he thinks he can improve my hand function with surgery to remove 1 of the pieces of hardware that were put in my arm. He would probably need to shave off some bone near the elbow and then reroute the ulnar nerve so that it wouldn’t be rubbing against any of the other hardware or scar tissue. I’d be in a soft dressing or cast for 3-6 weeks and unable to drive during that time. A second surgery might also be needed on my hand to release the nerve tunnel. It’s not the carpel tunnel but it’s a similar surgery. Before any surgery can be scheduled I have to have a CT scan of the elbow, then he will review everything with the trauma surgeon who put in all that hardware. If he ok’s taking out the piece of hardware he thinks needs to come out, we can schedule the surgery then. So my next step is scheduling the CT scan, then we will see where we go from there. I liked this doctor a lot. He’s young, but really seems to know what he’s doing. The doctor who did my test last week said if he needed hand surgery, this guy was at the top of a list of only 4 doctors in this area that he would go to. The doctor today said my hand will never be 100%, but he seemed confident that he could improve my strength and functionality.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - on the whole, sounds like good news. I always like knowing the doctor is one that other doctors would go to!
  • Helene610
    Doctor’s comments sound hopeful. Based on test results, I’d do the surgery if it was my hand. Getting more functional would be worth it. I had PT today. One of the assistants wanted me to use the pilates reformer. You lie on your back and press a platform with your feet.It’s supposed to strengthen the quads. One time pushing and releasing it gave me a shooting pain in the bad knee. I immediately stopped and said doing it would undue a month’s worth of therapy. I won’t be trying that piece of equipment again.
  • PamS53
    Last night we went to a friend’s house for her husband’s 70th birthday party. It was a fun evening, with lots of delicious food and good company. I made the birthday cake, my first since my accident. It turned out pretty good, although the name plaque broke on the drive to their home. However, it tasted great and the birthday boy was very happy with it, so that’s all that mattered.

r1soiocjjidd.jpeg

The cake looks like it’s leaning in this picture, but that was actually me, lol!
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - who wouldn't be happy with that cake? Yummmmmm....

My post cardiologist splurge has gone on way too long; I've got to weigh myself and get back on the wagon.

Almost all the cats' annual vet visits are due this time of year and I've been getting everyone in. After quite a few years of peace and quiet we've suddenly got several sick ones so I'm juggling a lot.

Luckily work is a little quieter than it's been the last 2 1/2 years.
  • Helene610
    Nice to see you’re baking again. You make the most beautiful cakes.