This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Funny you should mention getting back on track weight wise. I just logged my breakfast for the first time in about a year. I’ve probably put back on most of the weight I lost on NS. Pandemic and general stress led me back to most of my bad habits. I haven’t weighed myself in months so that’s why I say probably gained most weight back. I need to dig out my scale and start weighing on a regular basis.

We’ve had Comcast problems since we got back to FL last week. I have no tv, internet or landline. I’ve had 2 visits to the Comcast store. At the first appointment, the agent gave me all new equipment. I was supposed to change my password because they had a data breach. I couldn’t get into my account to change it. The agent had to get into my account so I could change my password. With that done, I should have been able to activate my new equipment. Didn’t work so I have a tech coming tomorrow to hook everything up. It used to be around $50 per visit. Now it’s $100 but it’s pay it or no service since I can’t DIY it.

Best of luck on getting back on the weight loss wagon! I'm doing better; not quite 100% yet.

I've got SO much diet food in this house that I actually have to make time to pull out each day's food because it will likely mean moving boxes. I try to do 7 days at a time.

Comcast problems are the worst. We had them with the TV moderately for aeons. It was moderate enough I kept fighting DH on calling Comcast because I knew what a mess that would be. He seldom watches TV so I couldn't figure out why he cared. But I finally gave in and we're back in business. Good luck!!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I’m trying hard to get back on track with my eating so I can maintain my weight loss. I’ve gone up a couple of pounds because I’ve been eating too much chocolate, so I’ve got to get that under control. I know I can do it and I’m determined not to let it get any further out of control than it was. It will be easier to do it now when I only need to lose a couple of pounds than if I let it go on for awhile.

DH had an appointment with an endocrinologist this morning and I went with him. She is ordering a test to determine if he has Addison’s Disease, which will be done next Friday. Then 2 weeks later a follow up with her to get the results, and a couple of days after that he has a follow up appointment with the pulmonologist to get the results of the testing he ordered. I have an eye exam this Friday afternoon which is overdue. I’m not looking forward to it because we are expecting bitter cold weather to arrive that day and I’d rather stay warm at home than get out to see a doctor. But I’ll be a big girl and do it anyway.

Sounds like we're all determined to get back on the weight loss/control track. YES!!!

Good luck to your DH. Isn't it fun how many doctors we need to see as we get older? NOT!

So far all the huge weather events that have been predicted for us have fizzled out. I'm sure it will happen eventually. But I look at the calendar and think "six more weeks". We occasionally have snow in March but it's always once at most and melts almost immediately.
  • mdubbs1
    Cats my late sister Judy found in her backyard are coming back to us because the adoptive owner had a debilitating stroke. I'm going to board them at the vet and look for permanent foster homes unless we think any of them can go in the adoption cage (they are quite a bit older).
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Comcast tech came last night. Turns out we had no signal at the house. Our neighbors arrived here a week before us. They had Comcast hook them up but it seems their tech somehow messed up our service. Our tech had to run in a new cable. He then activated our modem and hooked up all the TVs. When I tried to activate, the modem was supposed to show a white light. I thought the light was amber but FH insisted it was white. Turns out he was wrong about the color. So glad to have TV back. I’m watching national news for the first time in a week.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    I’ve spent the last few days researching for a vacation getaway for DH and me. A couple of weeks ago I commented to him that I was feeling depressed because I realized that there was not anything at all that I was looking forward to in the foreseeable future. He acknowledged feeling the same way. This is definitely uncharacteristic for both of us, and we took it as a sign that we needed a change from our routine. DH’s sister has agreed to come and “mom sit” so we can take a week long cruise the first week in March. It’s not a dream vacation as we have already visited the ports of call a few times, but the break in routine will be great and we do enjoy cruising. So that’s what I’ve been spending my spare time on for the past few days.
  • Helene610
    That’s a perfect way to get your joy back. The Pandemic was hard on everyone and left mental scars behind. On top of that, you’ve been dealing with so much Mail drama. A cruise sounds like just what you need for a reset. It’s good you told DH how you were feeling rather than suffer in silence. He was probably less likely to volunteer his feelings first even though he was in the same place. How lovely to have a trip to look forward to.
  • Helene610
    Good news. Comcast waived the $100 fee for the tech visit to restore my service. Tech told me line had been disconnected from the pole. Looks like it accidentally happened when another tech connected service to my neighbor’s house. I would never have been able to activate the equipment because no service to the house. They waived the fee because they caused the problem to start with. I didn’t even have to argue. Without my knowledge, my tech canceled the charge but didn’t tell me he’d done it. An online chat verified I was charged zero.
  • mdubbs1
    Comcast tech came last night. Turns out we had no signal at the house. Our neighbors arrived here a week before us. They had Comcast hook them up but it seems their tech somehow messed up our service. Our tech had to run in a new cable. He then activated our modem and hooked up all the TVs. When I tried to activate, the modem was supposed to show a white light. I thought the light was amber but FH insisted it was white. Turns out he was wrong about the color. So glad to have TV back. I’m watching national news for the first time in a week.

Whenever they have those dire news stories about long term losses of power I think how terrible that would be. I'm glad you got yours back!
  • mdubbs1
    I’ve spent the last few days researching for a vacation getaway for DH and me. A couple of weeks ago I commented to him that I was feeling depressed because I realized that there was not anything at all that I was looking forward to in the foreseeable future. He acknowledged feeling the same way. This is definitely uncharacteristic for both of us, and we took it as a sign that we needed a change from our routine. DH’s sister has agreed to come and “mom sit” so we can take a week long cruise the first week in March. It’s not a dream vacation as we have already visited the ports of call a few times, but the break in routine will be great and we do enjoy cruising. So that’s what I’ve been spending my spare time on for the past few days.

I'm glad you found something you enjoy and can plan to do!
  • mdubbs1
    edited January 24
    I've finally gotten myself back on the diet bandwagon. It's WAY past time!

We got 10 inches of snow which is enough to really hamstring Marylanders. It's supposed to be getting warmer so hopefully the stuff will melt! Feeding the colonies in my boots with spikes has really highlighted this body's aches and pains!

One of our adoptive parents had a massive stroke and her niece came to town to deal with the house and cats. After a week or so in the hospital she died. Two of the cats are siblings, super friendly, only about 18 months old so they'll be easy. But the third one is one of the ones that came from my late sister's back yard when she still lived in New Jersey. He's black (which is tough) and about 12 (which is tough). I'm actively looking for a permanent foster home for him at our expense. I have had a nibble or two and we just got him.
  • Helene610
    That such sad news about the cat parent. Glad you can keep the siblings together. Her daughter must be so relieved you’re taking care of re-homing the cats. It would be hard for her to deal with that on top of the sudden loss of her mother. The cats probably would have ended up in a shelter. Good luck with “Blackie”. He may have already found a home in your house.

Good news on the Comcast tech charge. I did an online chat and discovered they had already waived the $100 visit charge. My tech must have reported it was their fault that I needed a visit. I thought I had a good argument for a waiver. Who knew they’d voluntarily do the right thing.

Pam, anything new with MIL? Has she settled into the new residence with minimal upset?
  • PamS53
    Good luck with rehoming the cats. I know that can be difficult.

You were very fortunate that the tech took care of the charge for you, Helene! It’s sad that something like this is an exception rather than the norm nowadays.

MIL isn’t happy with her new abode, but we were out of options. It is a nice place, very new, bright, and clean. The staff seem very caring and kind and she has a nice room. Her dissatisfaction stems (I think) from her inability to recognize her own limitations at this stage of her life. She doesn’t understand why she couldn’t go back to her former assisted living facility where she was much more independent than she’s capable of being now. It’s very difficult to visit her because she begs us to get her out of this place when she’s cognitively aware. It’s almost easier on the days when she’s not as lucid.
  • mdubbs1
    That such sad news about the cat parent. Glad you can keep the siblings together. Her daughter must be so relieved you’re taking care of re-homing the cats. It would be hard for her to deal with that on top of the sudden loss of her mother. The cats probably would have ended up in a shelter. Good luck with “Blackie”. He may have already found a home in your house.

Good news on the Comcast tech charge. I did an online chat and discovered they had already waived the $100 visit charge. My tech must have reported it was their fault that I needed a visit. I thought I had a good argument for a waiver. Who knew they’d voluntarily do the right thing.

Pam, anything new with MIL? Has she settled into the new residence with minimal upset?

I've got two people who've said they'll take 12 year old Moonbeam if no one else does so with any luck he won't be coming here. I'd LOVE to have him but DH not so much.

Good indeed about Comcast!
  • mdubbs1
    Good luck with rehoming the cats. I know that can be difficult.

You were very fortunate that the tech took care of the charge for you, Helene! It’s sad that something like this is an exception rather than the norm nowadays.

MIL isn’t happy with her new abode, but we were out of options. It is a nice place, very new, bright, and clean. The staff seem very caring and kind and she has a nice room. Her dissatisfaction stems (I think) from her inability to recognize her own limitations at this stage of her life. She doesn’t understand why she couldn’t go back to her former assisted living facility where she was much more independent than she’s capable of being now. It’s very difficult to visit her because she begs us to get her out of this place when she’s cognitively aware. It’s almost easier on the days when she’s not as lucid.

WOW! I'm so sorry your MIL is struggling so much. I guess we were really lucky to lose all 4 parents suddenly. Now I wonder if we'll be as 'lucky' with each other.
  • mdubbs1
    Some days I just scratch my head:

DH: where did you get the seafood salad?

Me: Sprouts

DH: what did they call it?

Me: seafood salad

• Helene610
    We got the permit for finishing the stairs that Hurricane Ian destroyed. We had a courtesy inspection to tell us what if any changes we needed to make to pay a final inspection. He was very helpful and we’re making the changes he suggested. It feels good to know we’re on the right track. I was worried they’d tell us to take it down and start over since we began without permits. The building department was so nice and helpful and only asked for slight modifications to strengthen the stairs.
  • PamS53
    Last week my friend who moved to DC was in town for three days. It seemed like every activity was food centered and I gained 2 pounds before she went home! I worked hard all weekend and this morning I had lost them, but then I started craving apple cider donuts and made some. I ate 3! They were small, but still had calories, lol! DH really enjoyed them, and I wanted to cheer him up, so I guess it was worth it. He’s still not feeling well and was trying to psych himself up to go see his mom, which he dreads because she’s so unhappy.

Tomorrow we are meeting with our attorney to finally execute our wills and related documents. That is long overdue, but better late than never, I suppose. In the afternoon DH will see the nurse practitioner at our doc’s office to follow up on recommendations from both the endocrinologist and pulmonologist. I think the next step needs to be a referral to a neurologist. I’m beginning to suspect Parkinson’s Disease or something similar.
  • Helene610
    I feel for you and DH. Mil sounds like someone who we never easy to deal with but her current mind frame must be painful to listen too. It probably makes the health issues he’s dealing with worse. Guilt and stress take their toll.
  • mdubbs1
    Last week my friend who moved to DC was in town for three days. It seemed like every activity was food centered and I gained 2 pounds before she went home! I worked hard all weekend and this morning I had lost them, but then I started craving apple cider donuts and made some. I ate 3! They were small, but still had calories, lol! DH really enjoyed them, and I wanted to cheer him up, so I guess it was worth it. He’s still not feeling well and was trying to psych himself up to go see his mom, which he dreads because she’s so unhappy.

Tomorrow we are meeting with our attorney to finally execute our wills and related documents. That is long overdue, but better late than never, I suppose. In the afternoon DH will see the nurse practitioner at our doc’s office to follow up on recommendations from both the endocrinologist and pulmonologist. I think the next step needs to be a referral to a neurologist. I’m beginning to suspect Parkinson’s Disease or something similar.

Best of luck helping DH deal with his own health issues and his mother. I don't know why men are so reluctant to get medical help for themselves.
  • mdubbs1
    Happy Valentine's Day everyone!