This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    The new J.D. Robb (#57) comes out tomorrow! I'm so ready! I ordered the kindle version for me and 2 hard copies for friends. Amazon says delivery available on "release date" so I guess we'll see. That's one book I stop the world to read. (I've gone back and read the early books several times.)
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Helene, the type who of skin cancer Jimmy Buffet had is the same type that my cousin Bob had. It is very rare and extremely aggressive. I’m surprised Jimmy Buffet was able to keep it private and continue to perform as long as he did. In my cousin’s case, the cancer metastasized to his brain, which was also unusual. I read that Jimmy’s metastasized to lymphoma, which may be why his condition didn’t deteriorate as fast as my cousin’s did. The most common site that it reappears apparently is the lungs, so I was surprised to read that his turned into lymphoma.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, thanks for the reminder about the new J.D. Robb book! I always look forward to them, too.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I tried one of the Robb books a few years ago and just couldn’t get into it. I wish a new Virgil Flowers book would come out. That’s more my cup of tea.
  • PamS53
    I finished the book last night. Not one of her best, IMO, but still enjoyable.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I finished the book last night. Not one of her best, IMO, but still enjoyable.

I'm 80% through and agree, not the best.

I've gone back and read the early ones a couple times over the years.

I read somewhere recently that she won't predict how many there will be but that the last one ever will end with Eve pregnant.
  • mdubbs1
    The FDA has approved the new COVID vaccine:

https://wapo.st/45M4csY
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I tried one of the Robb books a few years ago and just couldn’t get into it. I wish a new Virgil Flowers book would come out. That’s more my cup of tea.

Ask and ye shall receive - the next one comes out October 3:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/75670228-judgment-prey
  • mdubbs1
    I am so far behind on all of what used to be my favorites (except J D Robb). During the pandemic all my mind seemed to want to read after a long day of work and pandemic fretting was fluff. My kindle is full of all kinds of books. I need to take time one of these days and go through and see what I have and what I don't have in each series I've always loved (like Virgil Flowers).
  • mdubbs1
    Helene, the type who of skin cancer Jimmy Buffet had is the same type that my cousin Bob had. It is very rare and extremely aggressive. I’m surprised Jimmy Buffet was able to keep it private and continue to perform as long as he did. In my cousin’s case, the cancer metastasized to his brain, which was also unusual. I read that Jimmy’s metastasized to lymphoma, which may be why his condition didn’t deteriorate as fast as my cousin’s did. The most common site that it reappears apparently is the lungs, so I was surprised to read that his turned into lymphoma.

Wow, I didn't know skin cancer could do all that! I have a friend who is a huge fan so I gave her the new People magazine that has him on the cover.
  • PamS53
    Helene, a friend’s husband has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. If I remember correctly, your DH also has this condition? Can you recommend any particular bread products or brands that he might be able to eat? His wife is an excellent cook, but having to learn how to prepare foods differently for him now. Any tips you could offer would be helpful.
  • mdubbs1
    edited September 2023
    Helene, a friend’s husband has recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. If I remember correctly, your DH also has this condition? Can you recommend any particular bread products or brands that he might be able to eat? His wife is an excellent cook, but having to learn how to prepare foods differently for him now. Any tips you could offer would be helpful.

My friend who just died had that and it was always interesting to watch her order lunch at a restaurant.

She didn't do bread at all. She'd get a plain burger, for example, after quizzing them to make sure there was nothing like bread crumbs added.
  • mdubbs1
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/13/health/updated-covid-vaccine-where-when-flu-rsv-wellness/index.html

I had checked walgreen's website earlier today and it said no covid vaccination appointments available. After seeing this article I checked again and was able to make an appointment for flu and covid vaccines on Monday.
  • Helene610
    mdubbs1 wrote: »

Ask and ye shall receive - the next one comes out October 3:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/75670228-judgment-prey

Good to know. We’re on vacation on a lake in upstate NY so I’m not posting much for a few more days.
  • Helene610
    Our favorite brands of bread are Canyon Bakehouse and UDI’s. 3Bakers isn’t bad either but the slices are smaller. In addition to white and multi grain, Canyon Bakehouse has added a sweet Hawaiian bread recently. I’ll give some thoughts to other favorite GF products in another post.
  • Helene610
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/13/health/updated-covid-vaccine-where-when-flu-rsv-wellness/index.html

I had checked walgreen's website earlier today and it said no covid vaccination appointments available. After seeing this article I checked again and was able to make an appointment for flu and covid vaccines on Monday.

I also saw on the news that we should consider getting the vaccine for RSV too. That’s the virus that was putting small children in the hospital last winter. People over 60 or immune compromised should get that one too.
  • PamS53
    Thanks, Helene. I’ve passed those names to my friend. If you have any recommendations for recipe sites, that would be helpful as well. His wife is a good cook, so I think that would be very useful for her.
  • mdubbs1

I also saw on the news that we should consider getting the vaccine for RSV too. That’s the virus that was putting small children in the hospital last winter. People over 60 or immune compromised should get that one too.

For some reason DH was initially against getting RSV but I think he's coming around. I will get it but wanted to do flu and COVID first. Did that this morning! The pharmacists were wearing masks as was I but that was about it. Walgreen's was very empty but there were two pharmacists on duty. I can see why drug stores are in trouble. I'm not helping as I order things like OTC meds from amazon. I hope I'm not sick tomorrow but Lil's going to feed just in case.
  • Helene610
    Better a sore arm than the flu or Covid. We’re driving back home tomorrow. I’ll make appointments to get ours at Walgreens.
  • PamS53
    We had a busy week, though it seems like I didn’t do much worth reporting, lol! The biggest thing we did was to meet with representatives from a local hospice provider and agree to move DH’s mom into their care. She will remain in her current assisted living apartment, but the hospice program will take over managing her medical needs, as well as having their staff visiting her almost daily to assist with hygiene and any other care needs she may have. They will also provide any equipment that is needed, such as a wheelchair, hospital bed, disposable underwear, etc. This was precipitated by a couple of incidents where she had become incontinent, soaking through her bed. She apparently got herself out of the wet pajamas and then stood out in the hallway screaming for help. The staff came and got her cleaned up and dressed and cleaned up the bed. She was completely confused and disoriented. This happened two mornings in a row. We suspect a bad UTI as she is prone to getting them and they make her very confused. It was suggested that we consider hospice for her after the second incident, so we agreed to meet with them. It actually is a relief for us because they will provide a lot more care for her than she is currently receiving, and if medical attention is needed, she won’t have to go to a hospital or doctor’s office to receive it. They will send a nurse or doctor out to her. They will treat something like an acute infection, such as a UTI, but will not treat anything designed to prolong life, such as chemotherapy or a heart procedure, etc. She will be 96 next month. Despite treatment for the UTI, she remains very confused still, so I really think this was the right decision. SIL was initially reluctant, but eventually agreed after speaking with the hospice representative. Of course, the next day she had second thoughts but it was already a done deal. She plans to visit in a couple of weeks and I think she will be shocked at how much her mom’s condition and mental status has declined.

The rest of the week went by in a blur. I had a doctor’s appointment with my endocrinologist’s nurse practitioner to get my Prolia injection ordered, if Medicare approves it. Since my condition has improved so much on the drug, I was advised that Medicare may not approve it. Ironic, that the drug that works so well for me may not be approved because it worked too well.

I also finished a knitting project I was making for my hair stylist who is expecting a baby in December. I was trying to finish it before I scheduled an appointment for a haircut so I could give it to her then, but it’s been so hot that I had a hard time making myself work on it. Handling yarn in the heat isn’t that much fun, but I finally got it done. I get my haircut next week. I think my hair is longer now than it’s ever been in my entire life. I’m having a hard time styling it now because my arms aren’t long enough, lol!