This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Great idea for an easy way to make your cake more festive.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Oh, Pam, that looks delicious!!!!!

Several of my big projects are temporarily on hold while the client contact is on vacation so I'm getting a few other things done. Feels good!

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Had my 6 month checkup with my primary care doctor today. All went well but I was disappointed that he didn’t even notice or comment on my weight loss until I mentioned it. He told me I need to consume more calories than we’re recommended by my weight loss clinic, but for now I plan to continue with their recommendation for maintenance. If I continue to lose weight I will add more calories, but so far I am doing well at 1200 per day. I will be looking for a new doctor anyway as he has decided to become a concierge doctor. We are unwilling to pay the fees to become part of his concierge practice and don’t feel we need that kind of care anyway. I am interested to see what my blood work shows. I’ll know the results in a couple of days, I think.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Had my 6 month checkup with my primary care doctor today. All went well but I was disappointed that he didn’t even notice or comment on my weight loss until I mentioned it. He told me I need to consume more calories than we’re recommended by my weight loss clinic, but for now I plan to continue with their recommendation for maintenance. If I continue to lose weight I will add more calories, but so far I am doing well at 1200 per day. I will be looking for a new doctor anyway as he has decided to become a concierge doctor. We are unwilling to pay the fees to become part of his concierge practice and don’t feel we need that kind of care anyway. I am interested to see what my blood work shows. I’ll know the results in a couple of days, I think.

Primary care docs can be very disappointing. I've had it with mine and have appointments with two others. If I like (or can at least tolerate) the first one I'll cancel the second one. I only really need primary care to order labs and prescribe my cholesterol meds. And if I was willing to pay I could actually do both online if I had to. Meanwhile, my oncologist was kind enough to order labs for me and my current primary care provider to my surprise refilled my meds for a whole year. So I have a little time. And I need it. It's not like you can get an appointment tomorrow.
  • PamS53
    My blood work results were in my inbox this morning and all looked good, I think. My cholesterol went from 236 to 144, so I guess the Crestor is working, lol!
  • Helene610
    That’s an excellent cholesterol level. I’d guess the Crestor is doing the trick.
  • Helene610
    Another hurricane is heading towards FL. Right now, the track is between Tampa and the Panhandle. That’s well north of us but we could get storm surge of 2-4 feet if it passes by at high tide. My HOA just got the tennis court repaired last week and expensive work is being done on the pool to reopen that. I hope we don’t get surge that damages work we’ve just finished. As a community, we’ve spent over $50,000 on repairs. The anniversary of Hurricane Ian is exactly a month from today.
  • PamS53
    Helene, I wondered if the storm track would go near your island. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t undo any of the repairs that have already been made or cause more damage.
  • Helene610
    So far, it looks like the storm will pass about 150 miles off shore when it passes. We could get 2-4 feet of surge if the storm passes ar high tides. The winds won’t be that bad. When it gets north of Tampa, it will turn inward and go ashore between Tampa and the Panhandle. So we could be affected but nothing like last year. We’re watching local FL news coverage and people learned a lot from last year. People are pulling their boats out of the water, securing outdoor items that could be blown by the wind or floated by the surge. It wa suggested that people with RVs along the coast drive them inland. Many people still have tarps on the roof almost a year after Ian. Heavy rains may damage their houses with only a tarp for protection. It’s still hard to get contractors because of the volume of repair jobs competing for attention. And some people are still battling insurance companies.
  • Helene610
    I watched videos posted on FB the day after Italian. A resident rode around the island recording conditions. It looked like minimal street flooding on streets close to the beach. I didn’t see any fallen trees. When he was at one of the beach access areas, you could see the water was still choppy and you could hear wind gusts. He had the causeway and bridge on the video and they held up well. Cars were already driving across it. What a relief to see conditions looking normal. I feel for the people who were in the direct path of the hurricane. That was Sanibel 11 months ago. At least it seems like folks listened and evacuated. So far, they haven’t announced any deaths. About 150 people died during Ian because they didn’t evacuate and so drowned in the storm surge. So at least lessons were learned through Ian.
  • PamS53
    I’m sure you’re both very relieved to see that video. It bodes well for your home and the rest of the island.
  • mdubbs1
    My blood work results were in my inbox this morning and all looked good, I think. My cholesterol went from 236 to 144, so I guess the Crestor is working, lol!

YEAH!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I watched videos posted on FB the day after Italian. A resident rode around the island recording conditions. It looked like minimal street flooding on streets close to the beach. I didn’t see any fallen trees. When he was at one of the beach access areas, you could see the water was still choppy and you could hear wind gusts. He had the causeway and bridge on the video and they held up well. Cars were already driving across it. What a relief to see conditions looking normal. I feel for the people who were in the direct path of the hurricane. That was Sanibel 11 months ago. At least it seems like folks listened and evacuated. So far, they haven’t announced any deaths. About 150 people died during Ian because they didn’t evacuate and so drowned in the storm surge. So at least lessons were learned through Ian.

I'm glad you weren't hit straight on!
  • PamS53
    I am so sad to wake up to the news that Jimmy Buffet has died! He was one of my favorite singers. My niece worked on the Broadway show Margaritaville, The Musical and met him a few times. She said he was genuinely, nice, humble, and very funny. I haven’t seen a cause of death mentioned yet. He was 76.
  • mdubbs1
    I am so sad to wake up to the news that Jimmy Buffet has died! He was one of my favorite singers. My niece worked on the Broadway show Margaritaville, The Musical and met him a few times. She said he was genuinely, nice, humble, and very funny. I haven’t seen a cause of death mentioned yet. He was 76.

Oh, no, I wonder if my friend LIl has heard. She's traveling to Texas with her husband and son to see his father and brother. She's a HUGE fan!
  • mdubbs1
    Friend/volunteer Lee's obituary:

VIRGINIA'S OBITUARY
    Virginia Lee Hagee (Lee) of Baltimore County passed away on Aug. 29th 2023.

Lee was born in St. Louis, MO on June 9th, 1954 to Gini and Fred Hagee. The family moved many times due to Fred’s job. Lee made friends in California, New Jersey, Paris (France), Kentucky and Maryland. She was a great friend to people she met and was a lover of knowledge, as is clear by her academic achievements. Lee had an undergraduate degree from Vassar College, a post doctoral degree from Vanderbilt, and a PhD from Johns Hopkins.

Lee was interesting, and interested in many things. She was a dervish of Al Sheikh Nail Kesova of the Galata Mevlevi Music and Semi Ensemble in Istanbul. She studied with several Mesnevi groups online, and had friends from all these interests across the globe. She loved and played bagpipes, she loved to travel, she spoke several languages and was still studying Turkish and Spanish until her death.

Lee is preceded in death by her former husband, Charles Shorr, her parents Fred and Gini Hagee. She is survived by her sister, Carolyn Hagee Lavender, and brother in-law Gerry Lavender, of San Antonio, Texas. We will miss her intellect, generosity, humor and kindness every day.

A memorial service for Lee in St. Louis, MO will be planned for a later date.

In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Virginia's name to Cat Rescue of Maryland, Inc. www.catrescueofmd.org
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounded like an amazing and interesting person. You don’t find many female bagpipe players, for sure!
  • mdubbs1
    edited September 2023
    Maryanne, I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounded like an amazing and interesting person. You don’t find many female bagpipe players, for sure!

How true although her best friend also played the bagpipes.

She was someone whose company I truly enjoyed. Her intellect was amazing and she was interested in everything. I found the online source at Hopkins where papers she co-authored are stored and I understand almost none of it.

She had a valve replaced, got an infection, and then was rushed to University of Maryland Medical Center for open heart surgery. That sounded fishy to me so I immediately offered to poll my colleagues for names of malpractice lawyers. Meanwhile she talked to an old friend who is an attorney. Whether that issue will go forward remains to be seen I guess. She has no children to be supported and her cats come back to us.
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, was this the friend that did feedings with you? If so, I remember you mentioning she had health challenges in recent years. She sounded like she had an amazing life. So sorry for your loss.

I heard on TV today that Jimmy Buffet died after a 4 year battle with a rare form of skin cancer. Sounded like he kept his health condo on very private. It sounded like his death was sudden until you hear about his long struggles with cancer. He brought so much joy to people with his music and lifestyle. He seemed to really live in the moment.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, was this the friend that did feedings with you? If so, I remember you mentioning she had health challenges in recent years. She sounded like she had an amazing life. So sorry for your loss.

I heard on TV today that Jimmy Buffet died after a 4 year battle with a rare form of skin cancer. Sounded like he kept his health condo on very private. It sounded like his death was sudden until you hear about his long struggles with cancer. He brought so much joy to people with his music and lifestyle. He seemed to really live in the moment.

Lee couldn't feed colonies. She struggled to walk with 2 canes. But in the last couple years she was a huge help with the cat shows and always willing to lend an ear when I was puzzling over something.