This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    I am drowning in work and getting zero appreciation for it seems like most days. I'm suddenly getting work for the first time from one of the owners that I've almost never worked with and it's not going well.

I'm off tonight to see my best friend at Applebee's. I want a burger before getting back on my strict diet@
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    I had my monthly check in at my weight loss clinic today and decided to transition to the maintenance program. Measurements and photos were taken, and I could really see a difference in the before and after pictures. I’m stopping 10 pounds short of my original goal, but I’m very happy with where I am now and how I look and feel. My clothes are fitting much more loosely, my friends are noticing and commenting on how much I’ve lost, and according to the age-adjusted BMI calculator, there is nothing to be gained by losing more weight in terms of improving my overall health. The maintenance plan is basically the same as the weight loss plan, but allows 1200 calories per day instead of 1000. I’m going to try really hard to stay at this weight.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    What great results. And it’s a good thing to reassess goals. A healthy weight isn’t always the lowest weight we envisioned. Maintenance should be easier than trying for a lower weight. You must be so proud of what you’ve accomplished.
  • PamS53
    Thanks, Helene. I am really happy with myself for sticking it out. I know I could have kept going and eventually lost 10 more pounds, but realistically, I don’t think I could have kept it off. This feels like a manageable weight that I can sustain long-term and that’s definitely healthier than gaining and losing over and over.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I had my monthly check in at my weight loss clinic today and decided to transition to the maintenance program. Measurements and photos were taken, and I could really see a difference in the before and after pictures. I’m stopping 10 pounds short of my original goal, but I’m very happy with where I am now and how I look and feel. My clothes are fitting much more loosely, my friends are noticing and commenting on how much I’ve lost, and according to the age-adjusted BMI calculator, there is nothing to be gained by losing more weight in terms of improving my overall health. The maintenance plan is basically the same as the weight loss plan, but allows 1200 calories per day instead of 1000. I’m going to try really hard to stay at this weight.

Congratulations!!! That's a monumental achievement and yes, we don't always need to aim for the very lowest point.
  • Helene610
    Weather here broke over the weekend. We’ve had several days of 70 degrees. So refreshing after the heat wave. Any relief in TX yet?
  • PamS53
    edited August 2023
    No relief in sight here in Texas. Yesterday was 107 and today is projected to be the same. We won’t see double digit highs for at least another 2 weeks or longer. August is typically our hottest month.

This is actually pretty accurate:

p8u7xavqvnvt.jpeg
  • PamS53
    Yay! Today I was down a little more and I can say I’ve now lost a total of 20 pounds since March 1st. I’m officially on a maintenance plan now which is a little more liberal than the weight loss phase, but I’m still being very careful to log my food and try to stay within the calorie limit I was given. I really wanted to hit 20 pounds lost just because I like round numbers, lol!
  • Helene610
    Congratulations on 20 pounds. That’s a big accomplishment. I wish I could say the same. I have zero motivation and I don’t see that happening any time soon. Maybe I’ll start to get my act together in September.
  • mdubbs1
    Yay! Today I was down a little more and I can say I’ve now lost a total of 20 pounds since March 1st. I’m officially on a maintenance plan now which is a little more liberal than the weight loss phase, but I’m still being very careful to log my food and try to stay within the calorie limit I was given. I really wanted to hit 20 pounds lost just because I like round numbers, lol!

Congratulations! Nothing wrong with round numbers (says the lawyer/mathematician). Good luck on the maintenance. That can be rough!
  • mdubbs1
    Love the weather description. People in Maryland are fond of saying "if you don't like the weather today just wait until tomorrow".

We had a tornado watch Monday. No damage around us but in a more northern county a ton of damage. Our firm's new office manager has no power and the road to her house is blocked by downed trees!
  • Helene610
    I saw pics on the news of the downed power lines in MD. They looked like pick up sticks, the way they fell across the road. It’s a wonder nobody died. The news mentioned a family stuck in their car 5 hours while they waited for the power to be shut off. We had torrential downpours yesterday. According to the news, my town got 7 inches of rain in 24 hours. We’re right on the coast so the water must have run into the ocean. As far as I know, we didn’t have flooding. A tornado touched down in a town 30 miles off Cape. They had lots of trees down and damaged houses but no injuries.
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2023
    50 years ago today ---

Robert (Bob) Dubbs married Maryanne (MA) Allison in the small church next to the house she grew up in.

The pair met six years earlier, in the summer of 1967, when MA’s parents got the bright idea to send her to the local church camp for the summer to work as a KP for $25 a week plus room and board. Bob’s dad Al ran the camp kitchen and brought his whole family along with him every summer (in the winter he cooked at a fraternity in Gettysburg). All the Dubbs kids worked at the camp as soon as they were legally old enough. By that summer Bob had worked his way up to pot washer (I couldn’t make this stuff up). All the high school and college age employees (other than counselors) lived in 3 cabins set away from the rest of the camp, across a stream and away from any adult supervision so they all spent a lot of time together.

Bob and MA hit it off and enjoyed the summer together. In the fall MA went to her senior year of high school. Bob returned to Shippensburg State College for his sophomore year (biology major).

Over the next six years a lot happened, including MA graduating from Pitt and Bob serving 3 years in the Army, being trained as a medical technologist and doing a one year tour in Viet Nam.

By August of 1973 Bob was working in the hospital in Carlisle PA and MA was teaching 7th grade math there, while both continued their education at night and they decided it was time to get married. After a brief honeymoon at Rehobeth Beach (the first time MA had ever seen the ocean), the two returned to Carlisle, until the summer of 1980 when they decided they were ready to move on to the next chapter of their lives.
  • PamS53
    Congratulations on your 50th anniversary! That’s definitely an accomplishment to be proud of. I enjoyed your synopsis of how you met and the early years together. How will y’all celebrate?

We passed our 40 year milestone in March. It occurred while we were taking turns staying with MIL in the hospital, so we didn’t get to celebrate. We intended to do something later after she was better, but as time passed we never got around to planning anything.
  • Helene610
    Congratulations on your 50th anniversary. The story of how you met was so interesting. I’m a year older than you and we celebrated our 50th anniversary last September. We met at work as well but I was in my junior year of college. I was working a part time job at the Post Office and Ed was a supervisor. Today it would be muchpam, it’s not too late to do something for your 40th anniversary. harder to date a supervisor. We dated 2 years before getting married. We celebrated by spending a few days on the MA north shore. We stayed in a beautiful B&B. We hadn’t been back to that area since our honeymoon. Do you know how you’ll celebrate your anniversary.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your 50th anniversary. The story of how you met was so interesting. I’m a year older than you and we celebrated our 50th anniversary last September. We met at work as well but I was in my junior year of college. I was working a part time job at the Post Office and Ed was a supervisor. Today it would be muchpam, it’s not too late to do something for your 40th anniversary. harder to date a supervisor. We dated 2 years before getting married. We celebrated by spending a few days on the MA north shore. We stayed in a beautiful B&B. We hadn’t been back to that area since our honeymoon. Do you know how you’ll celebrate your anniversary.

Thanks! We went to dinner at a restaurant I'd been wanting to try.
  • mdubbs1
    Congratulations on your 50th anniversary! That’s definitely an accomplishment to be proud of. I enjoyed your synopsis of how you met and the early years together. How will y’all celebrate?

We passed our 40 year milestone in March. It occurred while we were taking turns staying with MIL in the hospital, so we didn’t get to celebrate. We intended to do something later after she was better, but as time passed we never got around to planning anything.

Taking care of family comes first.

Somehow DH and I ended up not having to care for any parents. I think that's pretty unusual.
  • PamS53
    I’m leaving in a few minutes for a birthday luncheon for a friend. Here’s a pic of the birthday cake I made for her. I’m not entirely pleased with it because no matter what I did, I could not get it to stop leaning to one side. However, I know it will taste good, so that’s the most important thing.

mgqvhheob4oy.jpeg

It’s been a quiet week here. We were supposed to have new gutters installed today, but the installer cancelled so he could do something with his child at school. I think he rescheduled for Monday instead. We had a brief break in the heat but it only lasted 2 days. Today I think we are expecting a high of 108.
  • Helene610
    Leaning or not, it looks fantastic. What are the little yellow pieces decorating the cake? Glad to see you’re making cakes again. You’re so good at it.
  • PamS53
    The yellow pieces are from a package of sprinkles that include several different sizes and pieces of things to drizzle onto the cake. They come in a lot of different color combos to fit any color scheme.