February 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @emmamcgarity - sounds like it’s been rough, but your plan to return to running sounds perfect.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Nice treadmill run @Tramboman !

Nice run @SummerSkier .

So glad you are feeling better @kgirlhart !

Those are very cool @polskagirl01 . I know they came in handy for you yesterday.

@emmamcgarity Glad to see you back. I hope your mom gets along well and won't need chemo. That stuff can save lives, but it's also so hard on a person.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - Great job on your race! Even though that hill was tough it looks like it was a lot of fun after all! They sold those crampons at the visitor center at Bryce Canyon. My husband had never seen anything like them before so I had to explain them to him. I still think snowshoes would have been appropriate for that hill!
    @marisap2010 - Congratulations on a great race! A PR of 13 mins and and AG win are fantastic!
    @ContraryMaryMary - Glad your race ended up being tolerable and no issues with your ankle!

It feels like we are getting more and more back to normal with more in person races again! YAY!!

Welcome back @emmamcgarity! I hope all goes well with your mom and the radiation and that she doesn't need chemo.
    @Scott6255 - Glad you we're able to get a run in. Hope all the cleaning and moving went well too!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Glad you were able to get in a nice run @Scott6255 .

You are amazing @polskagirl01 ! I hope you can take it easy on the bike ride and enjoy family time.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding your running mojo. My best advice is to set yourself up the night before to run. Look at the weather, set out your clothes and shoes, and put them on as soon as you wake up. Even if you plan to have breakfast or do a couple of chores first, having your clothes on makes it easier to get out the door. After all, you're already dressed. Might as well go run!

Welcome back @emmamcgarity! I hope everything goes ok for your mom.

@Scott6255 Running instead of cleaning sounds like an excellent trade-off!
  • martaindale
    Options
    Feb totals: 60.3/110 miles

2/1: 4.5 miles
    2/2: 7.6 miles
    2/4: 4.4 miles
    2/5: 9 miles
    2/7: 4.6 miles
    2/8: 5.6 miles
    2/9: 3 miles
    2/11: 6.4 miles
    2/12: 10 miles
    2/14: 5.2 miles

Recovery run today after work. It was in the low 60's; perfect shorts and tank weather. My upcoming race weekend should be about these temps so it was nice to get a reminder of how those temps feel. While I definitely prefer it colder, it's still nice!
  • martaindale
    Options
    @shanaber @quilteryoyo Absolutely! Sometimes you kind of have to trick yourself into it at first. Just 1 mile, or half a mile, or 1 interval - whatever measure you use. Then at that point, tell yourself just 1 more. At some point you cross the halfway point then it feels pointless to stop! Usually if I do this I end up finishing whatever my planned run was supposed to be.
    Also, put your runs on your calendar. Not just the run, but the mileage or time you want to do. There is something about having it be scheduled that makes me feel more accountability to get it done.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone! I did manage to get out last night and walked 4.3 miles. Ran 0.85 miles. For as little as I have been running lately, I’ve just been tacking on a half mile jog home at the end of some of my walks. (About twice per week I add the jog. Most days I just walk 2-4 miles). I’m planning to increase my running mileage a fraction of a mile at a time. Tonight I’m resting. Long day at work and I’m sleepy.

@quilteryoyo i can relate to losing your running mojo. I hope you find a strategy that works for you soon.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Those look like climbing crampons for glacier hiking or actual mountain climbing. I saw people with climbing gear (ropes etc) wearing these in the bigger (Tatry) mountains further east. I wasn't sure what to call mine - leaning towards "hiking crampons". "Microspikes" seems correct as well. (And I found out that I also have "nanospikes", which are similar in function to screw shoes and are good on icy sidewalks. I didn't know what to call them either.)
    These authors even referred to Yaktrax as "coiled crampons":
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoor-gear/g35336992/best-crampons-for-hiking/
    So as far as I can tell, its either a general term with lots of other more specific names to clarify, OR maybe the ones you posted are the real original crampons and all of these other companies started making wanna-be versions for other activities, haha. (Also in Polish there are 2 terms that people seem to be using interchangeably, even though I'd expect one of them to be more like the picture you shared.)
    OK maybe that's more info than anyone wanted!
    Yaktrax have gotten a lot of good recommendations here though, so for most icy road-running, they're probably your best bet!

@quilteryoyo and others - I'm so glad I'm not the only one struggling lately. I go back & forth from feeling good and wanting to go do all of my runs, to getting another stupid cold that lasts longer than I'm used to, and then not even wanting to get out of bed... which seems to be a downward spiral where I start feeling depressed and then am not sure when and how to actually get back out there. Being signed up for a race helped this time as it forced me to go out. Otherwise I just have to do what was recommended above: lay out gear, set alarm and force myself to at least start the run. If the excuses are valid, I tend to cut it short after that first mile or whatever, but usually I'll keep going. Once I can break the "lazy cycle", the running endorphins etc seem to help keep the activity going. Currently I'm feeling good, so trying to be reasonable!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey been a few days since I checked in. New shoes are awesome, I have to get another pair! Wore an old pair today and got a few niggles again. I didn't get them in the new shoes. Given the old shoes are a year old, I'm happy. I had 3 pairs in rotation. Now I need to spread out the purchases a bit haha.

Didn't manage any running over the weekend, too tired. Back to things though. Did a time trial yesterday, managed a mile in 8:21. I think that's OK? Long way off the 4 min mile though haha.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Big HUGS @quilteryoyo <3 Try not to stress too much about losing your running mojo. You are such a positive person, I know you will bounce back soon. But if that passion for running somehow doesn't come back, that is fine too. Sometimes life will take hold, and you may decide running isn't your thing anymore (or for a while). You are still very active, and as long as you are not sleeping on the couch all day, you will be ok.
    Also, since you have had Covid (twice), that may be part of the cause. I've read that chronic fatigue could be a long lasting symptom.

Hang in there!!!!!