February 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 great job on your 15k and AG podium!

@katharmonic the race ended/started in another area, back down the mountain and a couple miles from where they were. So they had to walk back to the car and drive over to where I was.
    The people you saw at noon would've been completing their 2nd or 3rd time up that crazy incline!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @polskagirl01 ! Love the race report and pictures. I'm really sorry I missed seeing you, but am glad that the thought really did count. :wink: You did great!

Thanks @katharmonic , You are doing great. Sleeping in every once in a while is a must in my book. I hope more places get cleared of the snow and ice soon and that tomorrow isn't too bad weather wise.

Great race @marisap2010 ! Congratulations on 1st place in your AG! That's awesome.

Congratulations on your race too @ContraryMaryMary ! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it and your ankle behaved itself!

I was in a mood today, so just took a walk in my neighbor's field today instead of running. I really need to get my act together. I did walk 2 miles instead of one, so that's something.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your AG win @marisap2010!

@ContraryMaryMary I'm glad you had. Good race and no problems with the ankle.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Wow @polskagirl01 that hill is crazy! I'm glad you had a good race day.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @marisap2010 Great race and congrats on the AG win!

@ContraryMaryMary Good work on your race in tough conditions!!
  • martaindale
    Options
    Feb totals: 55.1/110 miles

2/1: 4.5 miles
    2/2: 7.6 miles
    2/4: 4.4 miles
    2/5: 9 miles
    2/7: 4.6 miles
    2/8: 5.6 miles
    2/9: 3 miles
    2/11: 6.4 miles
    2/12: 10 miles

Almost exactly halfway through my monthly goal! I went to a local trail system that I recently discovered again this weekend. It is quickly becoming my favorite place to do long runs. I didn't cross a road at all, was surrounded by trees, and it's asphalt paved so even during the rainy months, I can still access the trail. But there are equestrian Trails along the main route so I plan to use those some once things dry up a bit.
    It was storming fairly heavily when I got up so I took my time getting out. While I won't avoid rain, it was lightening quite a bit and that is worth avoiding. Timed it well and by the time I got there, warmed up, bathroom stop, etc the rain stopped!! There weren't many people out because of the weather so most of the time, I was alone on the trail. So peaceful. As I was running, the front blowing in was dropping the temps so it ended fairly cold compared to the start. And the wind picked up fast!!
    My foot/ankle complained a little in mile 9 but it wasn't as bad as before. The shoes I wore today are the same ones I had on when it started. Going to keep an eye on that. Not sure if it's just a coincidence. Those shoes are at about 225 miles, so maybe time to rotate them to shorter runs.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @polskagirl01, @marisap2010 and @contrarymarymary! Each inspiring in different ways!

Yesterday we hiked from mile marker 489 on the AT (Beech Mountain Road) to Straight Branch (about 3 miles north of Damascus, VA). It was a beautiful day. We dropped one car at Straight Branch and then headed on up the mountain to the parking lot where we would start. The weather was around 38F when we got on the trail at 8:15 am. The first quarter mile of the walk was through a pasture field. After that it was all woods with lots of roots and rock to negotiate made even more challenging by all the fallen leaves that covered them in some areas making footing tricky. It warmed up to about 48F so it was a perfect day for hiking. This morning it is 29F with a feel like of 21 but we have a couple of inches of snow at my house so I’m sure where we hiked got more than us. My watch read 12.95 miles when we finished but I forgot to start it and didn’t record the first six-tenths so total mileage was really 13.5ish.
    w1n2qocrkydt.jpg
    The start of our hike. I'm the one the middle, back center.
    mp6goehp9pla.jpg
    There was snow with a layer of ice on top on the ground in sections and it was really slippery.
    98grxdw7p4xj.jpg
    I just love this tree!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Smart to avoid the lightening. Sounds like you had a nice run after the storm blew through.

Sounds like you had a great day hiking @Teresa502 . I love that tree too! I didn't recognize you. Have you lost a lot of weight? You look great!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    @martaindale it's wonderful to find a good long run route. Makes those long runs so much more enjoyable.

@ContraryMaryMary congratulations on your race! Sounds tough, but you were tougher!
  • martaindale
    Options
    @teresa502 That tree is very cool! It's so awesome that you have a group of friends to do this stuff with.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    The tree looks like a music clef! ❤️❤️ It was about 29 this morning so I did my chores first and ran st lunch when it was already over 50 deg! 5 miles done. Boom
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    February Goal: 30 Miles

2/6: 2.26 miles
    2/8: 3.32 miles
    2/9: 3.20 miles
    2/10: 3.20 miles
    2/13: 6.35 miles

18.33/30 miles completed for February

I also waited until it warmed up some before I ran this morning. It was a beautiful sunny day. I ran 6.35 miles. It wasn't my usual Sunday long run, but 10K is my longest run since I had covid and it felt really good to be back out there. I was still slow, but I am not training for anything right now, just trying to get my fitness built back up without overdoing it. I feel like I am right on track.

Awesome pictures @teresa502. I am living vicariously through you. I would love to hike the AT. I love all the running talk in this thread, but I also love hearing about and seeing pictures of the hiking that some of you do. I look forward to seeing more of your AT hiking pictures just like I loved seeing the 46 peaks that @katharmonic hiked and the recent pictures of Zion and Bryce that @shanaber posted. I wish I was closer to some of those places.

exercise.png

• polskagirl01
    Options
    Snow footwear recommendation!

Crampons are great for running in snow and ice.
    These are rated for hiking/running, and there appear to be a lot of different names for them in English. I'll add a picture of the hilarious translation of the instructions for mine, just for fun.
    These work better than "screw shoes", and you can remove them when you get to clear sidewalk or to go inside without ruining the floor.
    Great investment if you're doing wintery trails.
    ul0q6hxv1hnh.jpg
    sstx1rnjknkb.jpg
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Looks like a lot of fun @Teresa502! My husband and I have done small parts in GA, TN, and NC. We have talked before about doing the whole thing at some point,

Hubby went with me to a local park to walk while I ran. A new trail recently opened at the park, so today was my first day trying it out. I ran a leisurely 5K and then joined hubby to walk another half mile back to our car. It was sunny and 55F, so really beautiful.

Feb miles: 30.96
    Streak days: 44