February 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary is coatsville going ahead? With staggered starts I assume? If so that's awesome!! How's the house coming along?

@shanaber I'm in! Post the link and I'll sign up.

@rheddmobile sorry to hear about your heart! Hope you get back fast.

@Tramboman smart dreadmilling before the dentist

@katharmonic thinking of you, and surviving is definitely acceptable

@SummerSkier fog is awful to run in. Please stay safe!

@eleanorhawkins I love that you dare Hals disapproval haha. Sounds like you are enjoying the trail runs so I say just do it. Its just an electronic message after all. Though the way the plan is going with the trail group sounds frustrating! I think you can still do the 5k but just really easy. Don't race it. Use it as a warm up so to speak. It's pretty normal for people to have a shake down run of about 5k the day before the HM. And yeah still run it!

@martaindale tell me more about the runsmart site. I'm very keen to avoid injury and need to do some cross training.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins my two cents would be to run the 5K as a shakeout run, just to warm up your legs, then race the HM to the best of your ability. I think @martaindale did that just a couple weeks ago.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Oh @AlphaHowls and @katharmonic you can have a rest day tomorrow... they cancelled the Groundhog Day event in Milltown due to the death of Milltown Mel (the groundhog) :'(
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins I did the back to back 5k/HM thing in January. I treated the 5k as a shakeout, kept the pace easy, and enjoyed the race day environment. It worked really well and my legs were fresh and ready to go the next morning. Sounds like you would be going for a walk that day anyway and at the end of a training cycle, an easy 3 miles is not going to tax your legs.

@Avidkeo Re: runsmart. The main guy behind this site is a runner who is a physical therapist. It looks like they have a physical PT location where these plans started and he has expanded to an online and app presence. I got signed up yesterday and did some poking around the site. The workouts are all under 30 mins and targeted to strength training for runners, preventing injuries, stretching, and some runners yoga and some training plans for various distances. There are programs that are collections of workouts you go through sequentially. I started at the beginning, basic ones. I liked that at home, I can easily use the website and project it to my TV but I have the app version handy when I am not at home or if the TV is occupied. Also, I liked that there is not a lot of equipment needed. Looks like a mat for comfort, yoga block if you need them, and some workouts use hand weights or kettlebells. There is a monthly charge ($15) or you pre-purchase for a year and it works out to $9.90 a month. Worth it for me because I like that a PT is guiding run specific training and it directly addresses what I wanted - injury prevention. I would love to go see a PT, but realistically, I know I won't find the time for another appt. At least with this I can build it around my schedule and still get the benefit.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo @Scott6255 @martaindale yeah, that would be the sensible option, combined with putting the theory into practice over the next 3 weeks. Buuuuut, it's a 3 race series, with points going to the first five places in each age group and trophies at the end for the top 3. I placed fifth in my age group at the first race 2 years ago, amazingly, and the last year of training has made my snail pace a little faster than it was back then. So I have no idea whether I'll be able to make myself not race it.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,903 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Oh @AlphaHowls and @katharmonic you can have a rest day tomorrow... they cancelled the Groundhog Day event in Milltown due to the death of Milltown Mel (the groundhog) :'(

OH NO!!! I do not think that is going to bode well for an early spring either. :'(
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Ohhh @eleanorhawkins. What's your must win race? If you really want the HM then I say let the 5k go. If you want that trophy, go hard out in the 5k and take the HM easier.

Really depends on what your major want is!

@martaindale I had a look, it looks fantastic but not sure I can afford the 15 a month (that's $30nzd. Ouch) but might give the trial a go to see if I like it!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo, yes, Coatesville is going ahead with staggered starts - yay! It's never a massive event anyway - maybe 600-700 people. Will have to carry my own water though, fortunately, I got a running vest for Christmas!

As for the house. We're in and it's fab. Just hanging out for the girls to start school - next Tuesday!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @avidkeo, yes, Coatesville is going ahead with staggered starts - yay! It's never a massive event anyway - maybe 600-700 people. Will have to carry my own water though, fortunately, I got a running vest for Christmas!

As for the house. We're in and it's fab. Just hanging out for the girls to start school - next Tuesday!

Wooo hoo that's fantastic and yay for the running vest! I run in one anyway, just find it easier.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for setting up Feb and adding the group dictionary.

@martaindale That sounds like a great plan for your races at the end of the month. It'll be fun to get pictures with your husband. I love that you are being proactive with injury reduction through exercise.

@kgirlhart I hope you feel better soon.

@rheddmobile I hope you get answers on the 8th!

That sounds really foggy @SummerSkier . Good idea to bank miles while the weather is good.

@ContraryMaryMary I'm glad you are joining us in running the world. Unfortunately, I forgot what you have to do to sign up. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

@eleanorhawkins I can't help you with the races problem. But, "Funnier still, I apparently signed him up for it as well. Pigs might fly..." That is really funny.

@Avidkeo I'm sure the girls loved the one on one time. Love your woman cave!

Oh no @Scott6255 . Did they really? That's so sad that he died. I figured they would have a replacement in the wings and no one would know the difference...kind of like buying the kids a new goldfish when the first one dies.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary and @Avidkeo - you can join us here:
    https://www.challengehound.com/join/96a9cf00-6b41-11ec-ac26-d96d8cbe3fe6?code=MFPRunners

I think we still have enough credits for you to join but let me know if you have an issue.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo that's great news from the ortho!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,101 Member
    Options
    Thanks @eleanorhawkings ! I was super excited.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Fantastic news! I’m so happy for you.