February 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier - love the trees with snow and ice on them. I remember as a kid we had a birch tree out front and would get freezing fog and the tree would look like it was part of a wonderland with sparkly diamonds all over it!
    @quilteryoyo - the concert sounds fun! Enjoy being with your Aunts but bundle up and stay warm!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    "Keepin' it sleasy since 1952"

2-1 4k treadmill
    2-2 7k easy
    2-3 4k treadmill
    2-4 4k treadmill
    2-5 4k treadmill

February Total: 23k
    February Goal: 140k

Foggy and low teens F this morning, with a little fresh snow overnight. Knew the roads would still be disasters so opted for the treadmill instead. At least the sun has come out now that the fog has burned off.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @martaindale I hope your pain stays at bay and all it needed was some rest and rolling. I don't think I've ever had an "easy" 9 mile run. You are doing great.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Still no run for me yet in February. But I am feeling better and I did go for a walk. I took my two dogs aged 14 and almost 12 with me. That kept it a nice, slow and leisurely walk. We were going to go to the park but the path there still had more slick spots than I wanted to deal with. Plus I saw a couple of loose dogs running around there so we went to the cemetery instead. It was a nice walk. Still pretty chilly, but not too bad and the sun was shining so that was nice. I'm not sure if I will try a run tomorrow or not, but I am planning to at least go for another walk. Maybe I can get more than 1 mile. (But not if I take the dogs. 1 mile is about their limit.)

I hope the foot/ankle issue resolves quickly @martaindale.

Glad you still have power @rheddmobile . That's crazy about the racoon. I hope he stays safe.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @martaindale could your shoes be too tight? I get weird pains like that if I do my shoe laces too tight. Hope it sorts out
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @martaindale could your shoes be too tight? I get weird pains like that if I do my shoe laces too tight. Hope it sorts out
    Me too.
    Whether this is part of the problem or not, I hope you get it worked out!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    It's finally raining! Headed out at 6:30 in light drizzle. So hot and super muggy, I felt like I couldn't breathe properly. Consequently, my time was very slow. However, the aim of the day was a little more distance and seeing how my ankle coped with that and a few hills. Conclusion: It was great. We'll see how it feels later on this afternoon.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @martaindale - - I usually get shin splints when my calves get super tight maybe it could be something similar just a bit further down your leg? I also typically get tight calves and the subsequent shin splints when I am due for new shoes. If you have another pair in your rotation maybe try and see if you continue to have the issue?
    @rheddmobile I love your raccoon stories! you are right though that it can be dangerous for them when they become so accustomed to people being nice to them.
    On the news last night they reported 100k people without power in Memphis and I immediately thought of you and was hoping you were among them! I am so happy you aren't.

I did do some yoga yesterday and then when out for what I thought would only be a mile or two with the Vizsla. The wind wasn't as bad as it was earlier in the week so we ended up with a nice run.
    Today I got out earlier and it was already warm. There was just a little breeze but the sun was just hot. I think I over did the yoga (is that possible?) yesterday. It felt so good but I am so sore today! I did the 60/30 run/walk intervals I have been doing as much as possible but my hamstrings were not happy for most of the run. I felt like I was plodding along but I seem to be getting a little faster finally. I even had a mile well under 13min pace. I am really happy to finally be seeing some improvements. I am up to 14.80 miles for the month so far and we head off to Zion in the morning. I am hoping for some short runs there and taking all my gear but will have to see how it is when we get there.

Also there was a lady on the trail with an Australian Shepard puppy maybe - guessing it was maybe 2. It was cute and playful but she was letting it run around off leash. The first time we approached her she grabbed the dog and leashed it but the next time she was just standing in the middle of the trail while the dog ran around. I yelled at her and she just walked away still with the dog off leash. I didn't want to run by her dog, especially between her and her dog, with Hobbes. So I yelled at her multiple times to put her dog on leash. She finally did and we were able to run by. I just don't understand people like that who are so clueless about their own dogs as well as everyone else who is out on the trail.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @rheddmobile The raccoon story had me and my husband laughing! Crazy raccoon!!
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @martaindale could your shoes be too tight? I get weird pains like that if I do my shoe laces too tight

I considered this. I have noticed my lacing is getting tighter. Not sure why. Today I loosened them way up. It may have been a contributing factor but I'm not sure if I can blame the laces entirely.

@shanaber Off leash dogs are one of my biggest pet peeves! I have several shoes of varying ages in rotation so I don't think I can blame the shoes. But, I'm always down for a reason to get a new pair!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @martaindale hope your foot pain resolves. I've had some pain in my right foot since getting my new shoes. They feel great while I'm wearing them but the pain is on top and side of my foot when I take them off after a run. I'm wondering about tightness of lacing too.

@rheddmobile glad you still have power. The raccoon is hilarious, nothing to look at here, I'm just another people going in the door. I was thinking about you and your heart issue because my (hesitate to say the word boyfriend because it's sort of new, but ok... I'll say it to you guys :)) is having some heart racing issues. He's been thoroughly checked out in the past and they can't seem to find anything wrong. But he's at urgent care this morning with another episode last night where it races and then he's wiped out an exhausted. Probably not the same thing but I thought of your frustration and how scary it is not to know what's going on with your heart - which is kinda important for your existence!

And @quilteryoyo similarly thinking of you and hope you are feeling better today! Definitely take it easy.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    02/02/22 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    02/03/22 :::: 2.4 :::: 5.5
    02/04/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 5.5
    02/05/22 :::: 0.0 :::: 5.5
    02/06/22 :::: 4.0 :::: 9.5

Friends, I'm officially in a slump I think. Busy, stressed, and tired so running seems like the last thing I want to do in this hideous weather. We had a big snowstorm Thursday night through Friday night and I ran on the treadmill a bit on Thursday morning but didn't get out to run again until today. And it was stupidly cold again in the single digits. I was grumpy and worried and everything felt like a total slog. So when some people stopped at 4 miles I was done too. Slow + whiny = shiny? Slow + cranky = slanky?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic it may well be the same thing, as I understand it mine is the most common cause of repeated tachycardia in adults. Basically the heart has an extra electrical pathway and if it gets off track it doesn’t fill before beating, so it doesn’t get much done, so it does it again, faster and faster. Meanwhile there is nothing mechanically wrong with the heart. And it does leave you feeling trashed afterwards. I can only assume it’s literally muscle exhaustion from beating so fast but it feels terrible for a couple of days afterwards. Hoping they find out what’s wrong and fix it, and good luck with the new relationship! Tell him about the valsalva thing, it does help. Also, I had ZERO help at the ER and then an actual cardio was like, oh it’s this. So it seems to be touch and go hitting the right person to diagnose. It seems kinda stupid that it would be hard to diagnose the most common cause, but hey, it took them ten years to give me a simple ana test to diagnose lupus.

@quilteryoyo Take care of yourself, hope you feel better!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Those look and sound like good words.