March 1st to May 31st challenge

Replies

• 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,725 Member
    Enjoy your family πŸ’ž
  • zenobia9777
    zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
    I have been very careful except for last night. But I am walking every day - almost 5 miles...and 15 minutes yoga.

Why was yesterday so difficult?!!
  • Lynnhoussen
    Lynnhoussen Posts: 6 Member
    SW 152.5
    CW 143.5
    GW 128
    Would love to achieve this the end of May and the hardest for me is maintaining afterwards
  • spirittrail
    spirittrail Posts: 208 Member
    Hi! I'm new to this group but not MFP. The title of this group caught my eye. This particular thread prompted me to join.
    Since August 2017 I have lost 35 pounds but feel I have another 35 pounds to go. I am not considered medically obese but overweight. 5 ft 4 in and weigh 160 pounds. I find it tiring to carry and ready to lose the "last half" within a year. This would put me at 125 pounds and I know from my past this is a healthier weight for me. I have a goal weight of 155 pounds for the third week of May. I like the idea of jumping in here with my successes as I am determined to FINALLY reach my goal...slow is better than standing still. πŸ˜„
  • zenobia9777
    Welcome! Great thoughts. I am back after a hard work of family duty.

I did walk a lot (twice a day) and need to figure out the distance. But the food was out of control.

Back at it!
  • zenobia9777
    edited April 2022
    76 miles in April. but I did not have my phone with me at least one day. This was the power of my brother's motivation.

Today I did 2 miles and I will go to yoga.

I have not weighed yet but I do not think you can outwalk your fork!

At least I feel good!
  • spirittrail
    Hi Zenobia9777. Thank you. I've come up with an entire eating and exercise plan. I'm recording my daily calories and literally eating HALF of what I usually do. πŸ™ƒ I know I will have days I revert back but right now....for this week, my goal is to follow my new eating plan at least 3 out of 7 days. Today was a perceived slip day but having my plan helped. Next week my goal is a minimum of 4 days, etc. My eventual goal is daily.
    I do MUCH BETTER with exercise. I love it. I have made up a program of 7 days a week, 30 minutes each time. A variety of workouts. 3x yoga, 3x a 20 minute aerobics class plus 10 minutes of an upper arm routine using dumbbells. I just love toned arms. One day of 30 minutes very brisk walk outside to start....eventually replacing with 30 minutes on the eleptical. Finally, I love 30 Day challenges and for my first I am following a 30 Day Beginners Squat Challenge 🀭.

Three days into my program and feeling great! Today was class/weights Day and I began that way on Sunday. Yesterday was yoga plus felt motivated to do my first very brisk walk around the block. That took 15 minutes. Of course, today was Day 3 of my Squat Challenge. Tomorrow is yoga day!! Probably another 15 minute walk. I'm really excited to see where I end up on May 31st! I'll be following THIS particular work out schedule for three weeks. Then reassess and most likely increase my time spent. Good luck with your plan, give yourself grace and just keep going!
  • zenobia9777
    Fabulous! Love the variety. You are so right about the need to be adaptable.
  • zenobia9777
    It's raining so I am not going to walk the dogs.

I am having trouble scheduling my yoga classes for the rest of the week. I need to think creatively when my schedule changes.

I have noticed that the more exercise I get the more restless I become if I can't get out and do something. But today I'm just tired!
    I was very sweaty after Ashtanga yoga practice. What a workout!

I learned that the classic Ashtanga yoga practitioner does it for 6 days a week. It is considered a power yoga. I still can't do the balancing poses, but I can get through most of the rest of it.

I think yoga is very interesting because it is about mastering your thoughts and your own body without the addition of weights.
    To me it gives new meaning to the idea of carrying your own weight. You really don't need to carry anybody else's weight or add to your own burdens! Of course I don't mean that you shouldn't help other people. But you should realize you're only responsible for your own behavior.

But I do admire people who work out with weights and build extra strength.
  • spirittrail
    Oh I love yoga but not too often. Just a couple of days a week. I had to get creative when Covid shut down my yoga studio. On days you can't keep your regular schedule the best You Tube yoga instructor is Yoga With Adriene. She has a variety of 30 day programs. I'm new at it. I started with Dedicate because it seemed easier for beginners. I would recommend that one for people new to yoga. I followed up with True, then back to Dedicate and a few more for a total of 100 days. Near day 75 I was bored to tears but had made that commitment. πŸ˜’ It did do the job though in coaxing me back to moving again!
    Yes you're right! Energy flows! If you do regular exercise the natural energy is to want to keep moving. If you do no exercise at all, that also continues and you just become more and more sedentary. I prefer daily exercise because I'm afraid I will lose momentum if I stop!!! That's why I came up with a plan of various daily exercise. To keep me interested. πŸ€ͺ

All you need to do is find something fun and interesting to keep moving. Mix it up. Search 30 Day Challenge on Pinterest and find one that interests you. They take not more than 1 minute per day...you can even add ankle or wrist weights...and if you do that....plus if you have some stairs that you can run up and down on for 5 minutes....call that your workout!! No stairs? Do you have or can you buy a step they use in step class? It takes up little room and you can step up and down on that for 5 minutes. You don't need a big piece of equipment. I'm sure there is a 5 minute step routine on the Internet. My arm routine takes just 10 minutes and is so satisfying to do. Currently just using three pounds but the goal is 8. πŸ˜‰ And it WORKS!! I have done it before and my arms and shoulders looked great!!

I have finished my morning You Tube yoga...it's a rest day for squats...and I'm definitely heading out for my very brisk 15 minute walk around the block today to get my heart pumping! πŸ˜€
  • zenobia9777
    I love Yoga with Adriene..
  • zenobia9777
    edited April 2022
    March 30 126.2
    April 14 125.8
    I was going to wait until Sunday to wait because of all the disruption from last week.

However, I had a bad day with my eating so I decided it would help me get back on track. I was pleasantly surprised that even though I have not lost very much I did lose almost half a pound despite everything.

Today is a yoga day.

I made too much pulled pork last night and I need to freeze it because I still have to fight the idea that somebody can't let the leftovers go to waste. I am not a human garbage disposal!!!

There is no wine in the house, so I can't overdo on that. My husband brought home cookies but they have been removed from my sight per my request!

I did not get up early, but maybe I will still walk the dogs.

I really need at least three good days in a row. I do not feel well after eating too much.

@spirittrail, I need a good arm routine. Yoga is helping with it but I would like to work on it more.

• zenobia9777
    I walked the dogs just over two miles
    Yoga was difficult, but I got through it!
  • zenobia9777
    The yoga studio is closed for the holidays so I need to do yoga with Adriene today or tomorrow.

I've been thinking about walking all those miles but I do wonder if I would have lost weight if I had not been walking so slowly. However, it is obvious that I can't count on the calorie reduction through exercise. I wasn't overeating every minute of the day!

Holiday hosting is something I think I need to modify. Last Christmas I bought small containers of fudge and we all just nibbled on that instead of making a pan of fudge.
    We limited desserts, which made one daughter happy and the other unhappy

It is very difficult to know what to do!
  • zenobia9777
    Dogs walked...65 minutes, 2.5 miles
  • spirittrail
    You are focusing one day at a time and that's what's important! Along the way you'll make revelations and tweak as you go. The important thing is to ACT on those revelations.
    Log everything you eat to see where you need to tweak. If needed, get a food scale to measure your ounces. Use the exercise logs on mfp to compare. How many calories are burned walking 15 minutes at dog walking pace vs. Very brisk walk? If needed, drop off the dogs and set out again, chin up, back straight, arms pumping and walk as fast as you can for 15 minutes. The more you move the more muscle you will build. The more muscle you build the faster your metabolism will increase. Don't forget to track your measurements too!! Very important!!

Search Pinterest for upper arm challenges. You'll find plenty! I had to take a complete rest day yesterday but still did okay with food. Today is yoga, tomorrow is weights. Will probably take Sunday off completely other than my squats and a walk if it's dry. I've realized my important goals are weights 3x, yoga 3x and sticking to my caloric goal as much as possible. If I keep that up my goals WILL happen! 😁 My daily squats challenge with rest days are very important too!
  • spirittrail
    I'm so Proud! Tomorrow is my first week finish and when adding the numbers.....I have exceeded workout minutes by 20 and burned calories by just over 100!! This tells me I have discipline when it comes to working out. 😁 An excellent discovery and lesson for my first week! Sunday I begin Week 2. There's a saying. In 2 weeks you'll feel it, in 4 weeks you'll see it, in 8 weeks your friends and family will see it, in 12 weeks the world will see it.

I've changed it up a bit..πŸ˜€ In 3 weeks I'll feel it, in 6 weeks I'll see it. In 9 weeks my close friends and family will see it...in 12 weeks the world will see it. This allows me to make one week goals short goals and three week goals long term goals. Just 2 weeks left and I will feel I have achieved my first long term diet/exercise goals. Then time to reassess and tweak my caloric and exercise plan! This keeps me excited with doable goals and keeps me moving forward. πŸ˜‡
  • zenobia9777
    Had two preschool grandsons for 17 hours and I'm tired. I did pretty well logging yesterday until dinner time but I still was hungry later so I don't think I overdid anything.

I think you are right about trying to figure out the exercise calories burned but my experience tells me it's too much variance to really count on.

I only know that I haven't eaten enough calories if I find myself staring into space and can't concentrate.

Your plan of exercising a lot is better and will certainly give you the results you want.

Other than chase little boys around to prevent them from injuring themselves, I have not exercised today!
  • spirittrail
    Lol....that still counts. I am driven by goals and metrics...just the way I'm wired. Better some progress than none and for that you need a base number.

This first week I've established I've met my number of minutes and calories in exercise as set out for me by MFP. I've been logging my food and need a goal to work towards for my second week. I'm going to add the total numbers of calories consumed and obviously I know I have gone over the tiny amount MFP has set out for me. πŸ˜† Then divide THAT number by 4. Or 25%. My goal next week is to reduce those calories by that amount. In an ideal world, in 4 weeks I might actually be eating that tiny amount of calories.....πŸ€ͺ
  • zenobia9777
    I will enjoy your report!

Back to Sunday weigh in...

Three days later and down 2.8 pounds??

I do feel thinner.

My too-tight shorts are comfy now!

February 22 132.6
    April 17th 123
    Height 5'3"
    Age 64