Mission Slimpossibles Team Chat - JULY 2022

Options

Replies

• micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 2,936 Member
    Options
    @judiasverdes Jessica, I do my strength training from a book that I bought years ago: "Turn Up Your Fat Burn". The approach involves both a cardio component as well as a strength training component, but I found the strength training to be exactly the sort of workout I was seeking. I don't use apps or videos for strength training, as I work at a slower pace than most of the workouts I've seen online. If I have questions about the proper form for doing an exercise, I look on youtube for examples of the exercise in motion.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    vegan4lyfe2012
    Sunday
    PW: 195.6
    CW: 191.2

Super happy to get the TOM weight off :smile:
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    Options
    @trooworld – I like my asparagus super simple…roasted with a little EVOO spray, minced garlic, salt & pepper.
    @Katmary71 – Never heard of blue vanilla basil and had to google it. What do you use it for? I’m so intrigued as I adore the flavor of black licorice!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    Options
    Hello my buddies and welcome newbies! My name is Jennifer and I am a 48 year old single mom of 3 adult children. I live in beautiful Southwest Michigan, right across the Lake from Chicago. My son, Marcus, is 26 and in the Navy, stationed in Virginia and is getting married July 10. My oldest daughter, Sydney, is 25 and lives with her husband, Nick, about an hour south of me, and my youngest daughter, Hunter, is 22 and is still at home with me, but signed a lease for her first apartment and will move July 22. She will be about 30 minutes from me and 15 minutes from her sister, so that makes me happy. She just got engaged a couple weeks ago. I also have a sweet rabbit, her name is Kismet. I love to rubber stamp (I’m a Stampin’ Up demo) and make cards. I'm an active member of my church (Board member), and also love horror movies and books. I have worked in Community Development at my County for over 17 years. I’m trying to break free of my food addictions. I use the Healthi app…it’s like a knock-off version of WW. The plan it assigned me is “Conquer Cravings”. I really want to be successful, but I’m definitely a Negative Nancy in all aspects of my life. It’s hard overcoming it.

I got the ok before, so mentioning it again, that creating cards is one way that I keep my hands busy and snack-free. If you’d like me to send you a random card, just send me a friend request. After I accept the friend request, then we can private message so I can get your mailing address.

I shall sign off now with my 2022 Mantra: NO ZERO DAYS!
  • infamouscandi
    infamouscandi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Monday
    PW: 291.1
    CW: 293.2

It's a gain for me this week. I'm ok with that. Next week I'll be back. Good luck everyone :)
  • infamouscandi
    Options
  • infamouscandi
    Options
    vegan4lyfe2012
    Sunday
    PW: 195.6
    CW: 191.2

Super happy to get the TOM weight off :smile:

That's a great loss, well done!
  • teshea69
    teshea69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Team Mission Slimpossibles, my name is Theresa. I'm 53 years olds, and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada with my husband and our dog Jake. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and have since put on 50 lbs. I've lost about 20 pounds numerous times over the last couple of years, however it keeps finding it's way back to me 😲. I'm only 5' tall and I'm 204 pounds, I hate buying clothes, I hate looking at myself in the mirror, and let's not even talk about pictures!

I own my own business and I work long hours, finding time for myself is a struggle. I did commit to a personal trainer for 3 days/week...3 weeks in, I broke my ankle. The air cast came off yesterday, I'm still healing, however I'm more mobile than I've been in the last 6 weeks, I'm headed back to the gym on Wednesday (modified of course).

I struggled signing up for this challenge, it took a lot of self talk for me to realize, we're all here for the reason....support! I'm looking forward to the experience, thanks for having me 😁.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @RaquelFit2 Things definitely slow down when you're almost at goal, you're doing great! I hear you about food and gas prices, doing both is causing me major anxiety.

@trooworld Peaches and cream oats sounds amazing, you eat the best food!

@FushiaKat Congratulations on 90lbs lost!

@judiasverdes I hope you're able to reset this week too, you got this! Are you working out at the gym or at home? I bought The New Rules of Weight Lifting For Women (think that's the title) but I'm working out at home with PT, if you go to a gym they often will give you a basic routine to get started. I'll check on that book name if you're interested in a book.

@vegan4lyfe2012 I'm not sure what I'll use vanilla basil for yet, I have to smell it! With cinnamon basil it was good on strawberries as it's a little more dessert-like so I was thinking strawberries with balsamic, hopefully smelling it will give me ideas.

@teshea69 I'm so glad you decided to sign up for this challenge, you got this! I was pretty nervous at first too but like I said before it's a friendly challenge, you won't get in trouble if you gain or don't lose, this is a really supportive atmosphere or I would've been gone the first month. So glad to have you here!

Hi everyone, another month is around the corner! Did my usual morning workout and went to the pharmacy and back home, rest of the day's been pretty lazy reading. I'm going to wrap up the belly dancing challenge at the end of the month, that on top of cardio and my PT exercises makes my workouts way too long. So there's a cat in my brother's neighborhood with an infected eye, I've been thinking of catching him and taking him to the vet and taking care of him at my house for a week to give him eye drops but my brother asked me not to as the neighbor's are feeding the stray primarily their daughter who's struggling with addiction issues and her boyfriend sleeps in his car outside the house. So chances of stealing the cat without the boyfriend seeing are slim but the poor thing needs help but it would cause neighbor issues. I'm going to give it a week or so and if I see it again with it's eye dripping snot I'll be back with my carrier, I took responsibility for the ferals in my yard, I hope they'll step up and help this poor sweet cat. My cats wouldn't be happy with an intact male in the house so I'm hoping they step up and do the right thing, it's heartbreaking. Have a good Tuesday (after I tell that sad story!)
  • tupsundus
    tupsundus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weigh in Day: Tuesday
    PW: 174.4 (79.1 kg)
    CW: 173.5 (78.7 kg)

It is slow-going, but ... going! :) I have made it past the halfway mark of my overall weight loss goal (-40 lbs). The weather has been super hot, and it has helped me with (slightly) getting off the weight-loss-plateau: it is easy to refrain from snacking when your only craving is for ice water and cool air :)
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,887 Member
    Options
    @judiasverdes Whatever you do, don't give up. The time will pass whether or not you are working on your health, so you may as well do the work and see what results! I can hear your frustration. I was like you, lose a little, gain it back. Lose gain lose gain. I was like this until very very recently. Last month was the first month I saw a net loss in a while. I found what works for me (tracking + enough water + weightlifting/exercise). Keep your curiosity and find what works for you. Weight lifting: I use a Tonal which is not something most people have, I know. I've heard this is a good book for women who lift: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess https://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ Also, there is a program called StrongLifts 5x5 that is supposed to be good for beginners: https://www.womensfitnesshq.com/is-stronglifts-5x5-a-good-weight-lifting-routine-for-women/ Good luck, you've got this!

@FushiaKat Congrats on going down to a medium, great job! That must be a great feeling.

@vegan4lyfe2012 Great loss! I like my asparagus like that, too. :D That's so nice of you to offer to send cards. I really enjoyed the card I received at Easter. I would love to get another from you if you want to send! Let me know if you need my address again.

@infamouscandi Yeah, not every week can be a loss. You've got this!

@teshea69 I'm also 53. Congrats on your 20 lb loss, that is awesome! Good luck with the gym tomorrow. Yes, we are all here for support. Please let us know if you need any help!

@Katmary71 Thanks, it was really good, I didn't add the coconut milk per the recipe but I bet that would be great! That poor kitty, I would want to take him to the vet, too. It's too bad you can't.

@tupsundus Congrats on the loss!

Hi all. I had a great day yesterday, I exercised, I tracked, I ate well...the only thing I didn't do right is that I didn't drink enough water. Today will be better! Have a great Tuesday!

My phrase for the year: "Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!"
  • judiasverdes
    judiasverdes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Struggling to get back on my exercise and eating routine. I did eat better yesterday though, and I am fasting until lunch time this week hoping it will help me reset. I am also trying to talk myself into going to the gym to run today.

@FushiaKat Congrats on going from large to medium clothes! It gives me hope that I will get there too one day.

@micaroo4 Loved your phrase about time passing. Thank you as well for the weightlifting book idea!

@Katmary71 and @trooworld Thanks for recommending the New Rules of Weightlifting book!

I am off to the library to look for the recommended weightlifting books. Have a great day everyone.
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For those of you weight lifting, what program are you following? I do a lot of running and cardio and feel like while I am losing weight, I am not getting stronger/fitter and want to start lifting weights, but have no clue as to which exercises to do, how often, etc. Would love any advice you have. Please note that I do not have a smartphone (I am a bit anti-tech), so I will not be able to use apps.

Jessica Smith is fantastic. All you need is a computer. Try this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugu9XF3p-oI
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    @teshea69 Welcome, I too chat with myself about nearly everything. And joining this challenge was difficult because deep down I'm really shy. But I have been Fat for so long, something needed to change I hated myself and the way I looked too. I never looked in the mirror and just when I was about to give up for life, and just accept my XXL size I decided to try one more time. I googled diets and since I had never tried Calories-In / Calories-Out I thought what's the worst that can happen? I'll stay the same.

MFP Changed my life. I was on the Biggest Loser Challenge, but the captain was absent for almost the entire month 2 months in a row and there was not very much support. My husband told me to find another group. I had heard somebody mention Fit2Fat, I researched it, read a month of posts and decided to give it a try. That's how I wound up on this team.

There is no judgement here, no right or wrong way to lose the weight. It's what works for you. This team saw me thru self-chat, because cookies are my nemesis, and they were the boss of me. But I had to take charge. I had a nice long self-chat one night while hanging up the laundry, and now I'm the boss of them. They will always be there no matter what, and I can choose to eat them or not.

I also struggled with what to eat on my Birthday because I didn't want to have Cake this year. Yasso Yogurt pops were suggested, they are delicious and low in calories. I still have a bunch in the freezer because I've moved onto Fruit Salad and Popcorn with Parmesan Cheese.

I've lost over 90 pounds, I started out at 245 and now I'm at 153.7 I've lost 70 pounds over the last year. I had to break some bad habits along the way. I have a tendency to sabotage my weight loss if I lose a little bit. But now I keep low calorie foods on hand for when I just have to have something extra, pickles are a favorite. And I'm a night snacker, I will wake up at 2:30am and snack. I still do that. But now I eat Pickles and low-calorie veggies or even a little bit of popcorn.

Don't be afraid to speak what's on your mind. We are here to help. I would suggest that you take some measurements, because even if you're not losing pounds, you could be losing inches. And drinking enough water every day is really important, it will stop you from being so hungry.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    Options
    @judiasverdes – Hang in there, Jessica! I’ve been a yo-yo'er for over a decade. I get it. It’s hard. And I’m an emotional eater (BED) with Major Depressive Disorder. We can do this!
    @FushiaKat – Congrats on the fun new clothes! Woot Woot!
    @infamouscandi – Good attitude! And thank you!
    @teshea69 – Oh your poor ankle! I have never broken mine, but have had 2 surgeries due to a torn tendon (doctor said it would’ve been better to have broken it!) and it still isn’t right, which is terrible because I had already been misdiagnosed for 16 years before finding a doctor that knew what was wrong right away. Good luck getting back into the gym. Be safe!
    @Katmary71 – Could you possibly approach the neighbors? Tell them you’ve noticed the eye issue and that you’d love to take the cat for care and that you’d bring it back? Poor little thing.
    @tupsundus – That is AWESOME that you’ve made it past the half-way mark!
    @trooworld – I do still have your address and I will definitely get one in the mail again…I know exactly what card I want to make for you! Tee Hee Hee (not bad, no worries)
    @RaquelFit2 – Thanks for that video link! I have no upper arm strength anymore since tearing my rotator cuff and bicep, so definitely need to get working on that.
    Hey, everyone! I am trying to keep upbeat with life…but OMGoodness!
    My son wants to have a mother/son dance at his reception and he picked Backstreet Boys The Perfect Fan! I will not make it 5 seconds into it before bursting into tears! He called me last night to tell me his choice and laughed as I cried. He said, “Mom. You act like I’m dying.” And I replied, “You’ve been my Little Man for 26 years and you won’t be my Little Man anymore!” He’ll understand when he has a little girl and he has to give her away! Ugh! But my Mother-of-the-Groom outfit arrived and it fits perfectly – no tailoring required! I was worried since I’m 5’4” and most pants are too long for me. And I can’t wear heels because of my ankle issue.
    I stopped by Cato (clothing store) to pick up an order for my mom and decided that my frumpy almost-all-black clothes needed an overhaul. I went WAY out of my comfort zone and bought 2 outfits that have no black at all, along with some sandals. And both pants have pockets…so major bonus! When I’m in my weight loss groove, I usually won’t buy any clothes because I feel like it’s a waste of money since I’m trying to get into a smaller size. But I decided I need to live in the moment and the clothes are a confidence booster. Definitely can’t “hide” in them since they actually fit. Anyway, enough about that…
    Remember to stay hydrated, my Slimmies!
    NO ZERO DAYS!
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    User: FushiaKat
    Weigh In Day: Tuesday
    PW: 153.7
    CW: 152.8

Maybe a month away from 150, who knows. I have been so bad, cheating and cheating. But at the end of the day, I'm still on plan. It just feels like cheating. I bought some Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, and I can't walk by the fridge without eating a couple. I love the pretty colors. I had no idea that watermelon is so low in calories, I picked up 2 babies today since they are easier for me to manage.

I'm loving my medium clothes 😁 I've empowered myself with new eating habits that I feel are sustainable for the rest of my life. It seems I melted overnight but I know it was little by little. My across the street neighbor saw me and said, "you lost a lot of weight!" I wear my bracelet that says: "She believed she could, so she did!" every day. When I am floundering, it boots me up. I like "No Zero Day's" too. Maybe I should get a second bracelet that say's that. I am sad that all of my bracelets don't fit anymore, they just fall off. As soon as I'm stable at 135 for a while I will get them shortened, I'm looking forward to that.

@vegan4lyfe2012 Woot for new clothes that don't have black! I'm like you I didn't buy new clothes but then I really needed them, last month I bought the L size, and it did make me feel good wearing it. I tried not to buy too many just a few and now I'm glad I didn't, I skipped the XL size all together. I'm glad your mother of the groom outfit, fit perfectly. Congratulations on your son's wedding, it's going to be a very special day and I hope it's perfect.
    @Katmary71 Poor kitty, I hope he gets the care he needs soon. I hate to see animals in pain. Maybe the neighbors would be happy for you to get help for it.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @tupsundus Way to go, you're doing amazing!

@judiasverdes One of the motivators that was in this group before always talked about trying to do 1% better each day, sounds to me like you're getting better each day, keep up the great work!

@FushiaKat I love reading your summary of the last year, you're doing so incredible! When I was on MFP the first time I didn't add friends or join any groups and didn't last long, I decided to jump in and put myself out there but normally just research things and keep to myself and was extremely isolated for 20 years so it was hard. I'm glad MFP has been a place you feel comfortable expressing and communicating, it IS scary as heck as first but worth it plus I think when we do take that risk we find others are going through the same thing and we aren't alone. Keep rocking those mediums!

@vegan4lyfe2012 My brother doesn't even want me to talk to the neighbors, so frustrating. Glad you bought new non-black clothes, that's awesome, they will make you feel a lot better! I can't imagine how hard that is with the wedding, I have no tips but take a lot of Kleenex!

Hi everyone! Did my chair cardio, lower body PT stuff, stretches, and belly dancing then gardened and read until my hair appointment, I got highlights this time and it will take a bit to get used to but I like them, I needed a change. The head of the charity asked me to start writing a monthly article for the town newspaper, I'm going to really have my hands full with all the stuff I've agreed to lately but it's mostly positive, I'm just going to be a little slammed with a few things in a row next month. Met my Dad for dinner after my hair appointment, can tell he's really lonely without my Mom around and it was good to see him, we go to a Thai place by their house that has a great veggie stir fry so I don't feel lousy afterward like I do with a lot of places. Not much else new, have a great Wednesday!
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,887 Member
    Options
    @judiasverdes How'd the gym go yesterday?

@vegan4lyfe2012 Excellent! I can't wait to get it!!! Thank you so much! Awww, that's so sweet about your son. Yay for your outfit fitting! Congrats on the new clothes. I just ordered some new used clothes from ThredUp, I'm excited about that.

@FushiaKat Congrats on the loss! I love watermelon. I love your bracelet, how encouraging that must be.

@Katmary71 Wow you are going to be so busy! Great job with the Thai food. Have a great Weds!

Hi all. I didn't do so well yesterday but I'm hoping today is better.

My phrase for the year: "Something needs to change…so I will take no crap and eat no crap!"
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options

Hi Team! I can’t believe how long it’s been since I’ve posted! Life has been busy with Joe’s oldest son visiting, my sister settling in, and having to say goodbye to my boss/pastor. My emotions have been up and down, and my diet and exercise have been non-existent. This is the first time since joining this team that I haven’t done my weekly weigh-ins and it’s NOT been a good idea! :# I stepped on the scale this morning and was shocked at how far I’ve let myself go. I started back on my fasting yesterday and this morning I’m going to do a workout. Whatever life throws at me doesn’t have to end with my eating junk. Ugghhh!! :/:p
  • judiasverdes
    judiasverdes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So, I didn't make it to the gym yesterday :/ I took my son to a wild animal show the library was hosting instead. I know, excuses, excuses. :D But I did stay within my calorie intake goal, and I refrained from eating half a bag of marshmallows when making a snack with my son. So, for me, yesterday was still a win.

@TeresaW1020 It is so nice to hear from you. I hear your struggle with staying on track when life struggles get in the way of our health/fitness plan. Sounds like you are getting back on track though. Hang in there.

@FushiaKat What does your mantra "No zero days" mean?

This discussion has been closed.