Seriously September!

Options

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Marilyn - are you okay? I miss your positive posts.

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,504 Member
    Options
    u3zypmgxb033.jpg
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Esmer, I am not sure the pickled onions are truly pickled. It only takes a day for them to get pretty tasty soaking in vinegar and I like the addition to my salads. Your lunch sounds amazing!

Carla, glasses are good but I keep trying to push them up and I don't need to. My old ones were so loose I had to do that constantly and apparently I have a new habit to break now. LOL

Glad to hear the air has cleared up. Would love to see pics of the garden.

Bisky, so sorry for your friend losing her dog. You have a lot of ambitious projects going on there!

Good to see you Marilyn.

At the office late again tonight. Lots of work to do this weekend but the project I'm working on is almost done. Then back to the regularly scheduled chaos.

I wasn't very hungry today so I had about half of my mashed potatoes and broccoli at the office, came home and had a smoothie and a couple slices of ezekiel. I'm heading up to finish clearing out my closet now so at least I'll feel like I'm getting something done outside work this week.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say, hi. Will catch up tomorrow.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    @bisky I like your yoga idea. I have been talking about getting back to yoga for ages so maybe this will get me going

speaking of yoga, are you into your yoga workouts again, Spring?

Mihani, totally get pushing up the glasses thing. I am planning to get some contacts for snorkeling in Mexico and I wore some some the other day to see how they felt. I was pushing up invisible glasses all day long! btw, if you are out in public talking to someone, and mid convo, you push up invisible glasses, ya feel pretty dumb!

We purchased a new scale for our main bathroom, and it connects to an app to automatically track my stats. I wasn't into that idea in particular, but it is nice to have a recording somewhere that won't get lost on a piece of paper floating around the house.

Update on my Spanish progress: from zero to wherever I am now. It's been about 4 months of using DuoLingo to learn some Spanish before our trip. Yesterday, I came across the best youtube videos on the subject and really leveled up. Some cool (nerdy?) tricks on converting words you know in English to Spanish. Amazing because you can take words like 'certify' because it is a 'tion' word...certification...then the 't' becomes a 'c' certificacion, and then to 'verb' it, replace 'acion' ending with 'ar' certificar. facilitate....facilitation...facilitacion, facilitar. Prepare...preparation...preparacion...preparar.
    So many words do this, so you might use a strange word, but you will convey the meaning.
    couple that with "I want", "I need", and "I can" and you are suddenly making up sentences on the fly. Maybe everyone knows about this. Maybe no one is still reading this (understandable) but my mind is blown! Love it.
    I want to [confirm, verify, consider, prepare, memorize, rectify, explore...] the [reservation, certification, collaboration, decoration, cancelation etc etc]

Yesterday we had to hang around the house for work. I didn't have a super active day, but I went around the property a few times with the doggos. We'll get in some longer walks this weekend.

Yesterday I had oatmeal, a 'just add water' Amy Chun noodle bowl with leftover tofu, and a caramel apple. Yikes LOL we were out of veggies and were feeling lazy
    Veggie Fajita bowls are on the menu for tonight.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Mihani, I actually cheated a little - we had a couple of packages of French's onion soup/dip mix sitting in the closet, so I shook up the veggies in a dash of olive oil and those two packets of seasoning in a plastic bag (shake and bake style if anyone remembers that LOL). I have a couple bottled seasoning mixes that I want to use up as well. After they're gone I'm going to use my own mixes with nothing but herbs and spices, no more preservatives. I just hate to throw stuff away.
    Glad you're enjoying your new glasses.
    Esmerelda, the time I made them I just stored them in a clamp jar. They were only in the fridge for a couple weeks tops. The just made french bread from Thursday sounded awesome, actually the whole sandwich did.
    Carla, glad to hear your air's back to green, I'm sure your dogs were thrilled. I looked up the "3 sisters" garden, it looks like fun. I might try a small mound next year when I start a garden in the spring. Did you buy a kit or buy each seed variety separately?
    Bisky, so sad to hear about friend's dog, it's always heartbreaking to lose a beloved fur baby. I'm sure your SIL will appreciate the vacation. Regarding yoga, I use a routine called AM yoga with Rodney Yee - I've had the CD for decades now and use it on and off. It's a pretty gentle way to loosen up the muscles and joints first thing in the morning. It's on Youtube, you have to go in about 6 minutes before the actual video starts (before that is Gaiam ads and warnings), and close to 7:30 minutes before the actual routine starts.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z_qdhpYTtQQ
    BTW, love the changing names.
    Marilyn, so nice to see you hear again, love the sunflowers!
    Carla, Sounds like you're really getting the hang of the Spanish, I hope you have fun with it once you're on vacation (and don't get into any trouble mistakenly saying the wrong thing, LOL). I haven't had the courage to try the yoga yet, but I think I'm going to give it a go tomorrow morning. I think the only thing that might be a challenge is the cobra position (and maybe the bridge), but I can just wait it out and then go on to the next move when it comes.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    I checked out the recreation center in our town today and it's really nice inside. They have a lot of cardio equipment, a large weight room, walking/running track upstairs, and A POOL! I've never been a huge fan of exercise classes, but they have a big variety if I want to take part, including aquatic classes. If I pay an annual fee up front, it comes out to just under $23 a month which I think is great for what I'll be getting. The place is really clean, even the bathrooms and showers, although I probably won't need the showers since it's not even 10 minutes from my house. The one and only drawback is that they're not open at all on Sunday, but I can just make that my cardio rest day and use my home equipment for ST on Sundays.
    I'm going back Monday to sign up - if I join before the end of September, I get the $50 application fee waived, YAY.
    Oh, and they have a Holiday Weight Loss Challenge coming up. Those special challenges and events are the only things that cost extra (25 bucks) but it might be worth it; fee includes a fitness assessment, weekly workouts, a challenge shirt (woohoo), and more. Runs from Oct 17 to Dec 16. As long as my back keeps healing the way it has been, I should be fine by then.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, all these years I never knew you wore glasses! I am so nearsighted, and I used to wear contacts but for some reason contacts started sticking to my eyes a decade or so ago and I couldn't get the darn things out without totally flooding my eyes with water and almost tearing off a layer of cornea so I gave up on them. I have heard some of the new types might work better for me so I might try them again. I'm past the vanity stage of not wanting to wear glasses, but sometimes it's SO nice not having to deal with them, like when you are working out or cleaning the house or whatever, and you're sweaty and your glasses are getting all smudgy and slipping down your face.

Your app and scale sound pretty high tech! And that's awesome you are learning Spanish to easily now. I took French instead of Spanish in middle school. I think Spanish would have been more useful in retrospect, but honestly I remember very little of the French anyway and doubt I would remember the Spanish had I taken that.

Spring, your veggies sound amazing even with "cheating" with the spice mix. LOL

Wow, that fitness center sounds SO cool! I love the place I've been going but it is not a real "gym" it's all small group classes so you can't just go work out any time you want or go to open classes they are by appointment only. I think it has been super helpful for me to get back into working out and building confidence, but I will be moving on the first of the year. First, it's really expensive, and second, I need more flexibility and variety. I've been looking into other facilities.

The weight loss challenge sounds great! How is your back feeling now? Hopefully healing well.

Spent 6+ hours in the office today and finished the file review project I've been working on (WOOHOO) but I am so behind on other things. I am going to work at home tomorrow and do lots of laundry.

My salad prepper friend is still out of town so I am going to do hummus wraps this week. The tortillas aren't 100% compliant with a bit of oil in them, but I have to keep things simple while I get through the next week with work. I got several containers of spring mix, arugula, and power greens for the wraps and smoothies. Also have tomatoes, red onion, carrots and zucchini to chop up and add to the wraps.

The grocery had the most beautiful and fresh kale I think I've ever seen so I got two big bunches and will cook them up with some beans and onions. I'm thinking greens and beans for breakfast, wraps for lunch, and smoothies for dinner this week.

Nanc, I'm starting to worry about you again. Check in when you can.

• esmereldaSP
    esmereldaSP Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Marilyn,
    Thanks for the sunflowers! I've been growing them in my garden since 2020. I've grown to really love them.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,504 Member
    Options
    yum0hkb2vjjn.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Here is the infographic we used. We purchased our seeds locally and Joe's dad gave us some local corn seeds too.

Next year, I think we're going to grow most of the beans up some poles instead of relying on the corn stalks entirely. We're also going to start growing the corn inside or under glass to start with if we have another rainy cool start to the season so it is further ahead when the beans and squash go in.

I will look for photos, but I think we only have pics in early stages and now that we've harvested the beans and corn, things are looking pretty bedraggled.

67muc7muwnur.png
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    I joined the gym today, and learned two things-
    First: the people here don't use the machines like a circuit - you know, do one, then another and so on, and then back to the first one for the second set, etc. I did one set and the woman waiting for me asked if I was done so I said yes. She was on that machine for almost 10 minutes doing all three of her sets, with rest time in between. And she wasn't the only one, I looked around and noticed everyone did that. So now I know how to use the machines :)
    Second: I learned that there's a side door that you can exit through to get back to the parking lot (you don't have to go out the front door although you do have to enter in the front). But what I actually learned was that the exit door right by the lockers is NOT the door you can exit through, THAT door is actually a fire exit, and it's alarmed :o !!! Needless to say, I made quite an impression on the front desk staff my first day at the gym.
    Mihani, I hope you're able to find a gym that gives you what you need. You've been really rocking the workouts at your current place, so I'm sure you want to continue with your progress. Variety can definitely make working out more fun in the long run. Congrats on getting your filing project done.
    Your salad prepper has been gone a long time, when is she due back?
    Marilyn, that was a funny one!
    Carla, thank you for the info. We'll have to figure out what kind of beans and squash we want to plant. I'd love to see some pics if you can dig them up.
    I did my AM yoga yesterday and today, it was good. I can't lay on my back on the hard floor long enough to do the conscious relaxation for 5 minutes in the beginning, but am able to do all of the rest of the routine except cobra position (I just go into child's pose during that one). I also think it's helping the back to feel better, I think it needed some gentle stretching and twisting.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Sounds like you had a great time your first visit to the gym, Spring! Too funny! My old gym was the same way. Did all your reps on one machine then moved on. I have trouble with being on the floor on my back also especially when I have no carpeted areas with any cushioning. I want to find a much thicker mat but in the meantime I mostly avoid floor exercises.

Thanks for sharing the info on the 3 sisters garden, Carla. I don't do much gardening anymore but it is intriguing.

I had PT this afternoon so I am home early and going to take advantage of that to get a nice long walk on the treadmill.

Skipped breakfast, hummus and veggie wraps with a couple clementines for lunch. Will have a smoothie after the treadmill, and I am planning to cook the kale tonight and add a can of beans so I will eat some of that too.
  • esmereldaSP
    esmereldaSP Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs. last week and I am so excited! I know that the first week is usually the best, but, hey, that's a huge weekly loss for me.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Woohoo, Esmer!! 'Grats on such a successful first week!
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,825 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Good Morning...doing much better...will leave it at that.

Hope everyone is doing well...today's menu:

coffee with NPlovecoffee.gif
    broccoli* and baked potato (1/2 and 1/2 plate)
    sugar snap peas/cherry toms/baby carrots and one Costco individual guacamole
    Daring chicken plain with green beans and corn
    Ninja Creami pineapple only (birthday present)...love it. Costco had it on sale for $139.

*I discovered steamable vegetable packets. No more buying fresh on certain veggies and letting them go bad. Huge money and time saver for me! Yesterday, I had a packet of broccoli, 10 ounces, at my desk first thing at work...not too many peeps around at 7 am...and the smell is not as strong as fresh...so no one complained.

I have only tried the green beans, broccoli, broccoli and cauliflower mix.

Do make your day delicious!

PS I might add a deconstructed sushi salad in there. Not sure.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    esmer, you rocked your first week! congrats!!!

Nanc, it is wonderful to see you. I'm sorry you have been going through a difficult time. Steamable veggie packs sound like a great idea for your office. I made a similar discovery with frozen mushrooms. Did I miss your birthday? Happy birthday! We need to start doing little group video chats with party hats for bdays!

Too funny, Spring! Making an entrance AND an exit!

Here's the garden when everything was still growing slowly. The squash really filled in and the area became dense to protect from critters and keep moisture on the ground. In the back left corner of the garden area, you can sort of see some vines floating in the air. Those are the bean vines, all twisting together and trying to grow up one another because the corn was still way too small. The area you see is maybe 6' x 6'. We planted pumpkins mixed in with the zucchini and at some point after this picture, the pumpkin vines started wandering in a big way, making the plot about 33% bigger.

e4gs5pbucwa4.jpg

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    (not a thing of beauty, kinda cringy. it is out in our field lol)
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Mihani, have you found any interesting gyms to check out near you? (with all that time you have!) Oh, and I took French in high school, too.

I still haven't checked out the local pool. (though we now have alllll the possible equipment we need and have stalled to the maximum). I think I'll see how I like swimming in Mexico and go from there. We're not planning on doing any strenuous swimming activities, so I can build up while I'm there in the pools.

We have an appointment tomorrow for Ruby to find out more about the surgery she needs for her ACL. She hated the recovery period when she had her other back knee done so we've put it off but bisky suggested hydrotherapy and as soon as we brought her to our vet, the vet suggested it too. He said it helps a lot especially with big dogs. We will find out tomorrow if we are going to have it done before we go to Mx or after we return. If we can have her mostly healed up and done with therapy before we go, we'll do it asap, otherwise we'll schedule for January and she'll be healing up for when the weather gets nice.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Esmerelda, great job with the loss!!
    Magic, so glad to see you back. Deconstructed sushi salad sounds interesting.
    Carla, thanks for sharing the pics. I have to look into what'll grow best down here - long, hot, humid summers! We were told the farm behind us grew corn last year so I'll just have to look into the beans and squash. I can't imagine why any of them wouldn't grow here, but I'll check.
    It looks like you're right about adding some sticks for the beans, they look like they're reaching out for support.
    I took French in HS too, and one semester a couple years later in college!
    Sorry to hear your pup needs surgery, I hope the timing works out okay for all of you.