Shape Shifters Team Chat - SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    @KHill875 - Congratulations on setting up a successful walking routine by incorporating your workout into time with your children during drop off and pick up time. That’s a wonderful way to serve as a positive role model and help them build healthy habits! You’re making improvements and setting your family up for success for years to come so I hope you can give yourself some grace about your recent emotional eating. Maybe you can dedicate the return trip from the morning drop off to work through the emotions underlying the desire to relieve stress through food and find a replacement strategy. We’re pulling for you. Hang in there!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @pupowl - I unplug my electronics during storms whenever possible and use an extension strip with a surge protector in my office. Recently, I heard that there is a product that connects to the electrical circuit breaker box for the house that prevents damage.

I learned this when we returned from a recent trip to Boston to bring our sons home for the summer. One was working a summer internship job there and the other was taking summer courses at his university. We arrived home with extra laundry from the trip - and 20 and 22 year old sons - to find that our washing machine was not working!

We bought it during the pandemic quarantine period* so it’s relatively new but I guess we forgot to get a surge protector for it. Many computers now have protection built in so I guess we just got careless.

Anyway, there had been a storm while we were traveling and there must have been an electrical surge that shorted out the washing machine. We had to wait for an appointment with the diagnostic technician and then he had to order a part. So, we’ve been without a washing machine for a month — and we’re still waiting for the part and installation appointment.

Pandemic supply chain tangent:
    *During the height of the pandemic, there was a delay in shipping our new machine and I was annoyed that my husband wouldn’t wait for the one that matched our existing color and size.

The new one didn’t fit under the counter top I use for folding, it blocked the Dustbuster recharger so I couldn’t plug in the hand-held vacuum, etc. but I recognize we’re fortunate that we could afford to order a new one when other people were experiencing job loss and other problems.

My organization downsized and my job was cut but I was able to start my own business. I still have a lot of work to do in the area of business development - or get serious about a job search - but the laundromat is a place that reminds me how fortunate I am to have opportunities open to me.

Laundromat tangent:
    Whenever I’m at the laundromat — inserting all my coins and dealing with the inconvenience — I feel so grateful to have a washing machine and dryer at home. Sometimes, I like hanging laundry outside in nice weather, like we often did growing up, but it’s good to have the choice. It takes extra mental and physical energy to visit the laundromat.

When I was the president of the Parent-Teacher Association for my sons’ elementary school, I advocated for a local business to allow us to offer tutoring and homework help at the laundromat because parents would be able to concentrate on getting the task done and the children wouldn’t be bored (which often leads to child antics and adult short tempers).

They wouldn’t even consider taking our book donations to make a reading corner but it’s still an idea I’d like to pursue in the future. We did get a washer and dryer for the school - to support students with special needs - but the parents couldn’t access after hours, etc.

I’ll definitely figure out a way to ‘pay it forward’ in the next year or two. For now, I better get to work on my website and/or job search! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP Saturday weigh-in
    PW: 131.4
    CW: 133.0
    Bit of an uptick from last weigh-in. The work-week was definitely more busy & stressful. I worked late with short lunches or lunch at my desk. I try to avoid doing that but it was just really busy. Overall I wasn't walking as much, and higher cortisol levels.
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Laundromat tangent: ... I advocated for a local business to allow us to offer tutoring and homework help at the laundromat because parents would be able to concentrate on getting the task done and the children wouldn’t be bored (which often leads to child antics and adult short tempers).

They wouldn’t even consider taking our book donations to make a reading corner ...

@PatriceFitnessPal - such great perspective, I Love that! What a great idea 💕 absolutely worth pursuing, as a way to give back.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Steps
    9/3 8,444 - that was the day I traveled home after my mother in law had her heart attack - sorry I missed that one
  • LaurieWrobo
    Options
    Steps
    9/7 8,399
    9/8 5,471
    9/9 8,033
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal , I've been on the prebiotic since September 1st, I did experience some of the roto rootor problem as well as a lot of exhaust for the first few days but that soon cleared up. I started the prebiotic because I just bloated so bad even with eating the right foods, etc. My dietician and I tried to get a script for it from my dr, but she never came through so I got one after looking at different brands. And I did read several articles about them after I had started the prebiotic. Honestly, I'm just glad for the bloating to be gone. And being in my 50s and post menopausal, bloating can be a thing. Who knew.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @Armygirlarmyof1 - Ha! 😂🤣😂 I had forgotten about the ‘exhaust.’ I’m glad you got relief from the bloating. I gave up seltzer water for that reason and I feel so much better!
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    @Yukie_OP , I can relate to work stress. Now I'm mobile at work because I'm dealing with ppl all day but the stress is another story. We get a worker who causes drama or they find something to cause drama. Of course, we try to avoid subjecting the customers to it. (It's a Christian based store where we raise money for the poorest in our community). And we sure enough had a worker decide to leave but not after being creative with her drama.🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    Steps
    9/3 8,444 - that was the day I traveled home after my mother in law had her heart attack - sorry I missed that one

Hey @LaurieWrobo thanks for reporting in on that date. You had great stats for August. I can see though, why your focus would have been elsewhere. How's your MIL doing now? I hope she's getting her strength back. I can't remember...does she live close to you and your family or is it a bit of a journey to see her?

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    The Sep Week 2 Group Challenge is active and ready to begin on Sun, Sep 11th. Please join us for "Moving More" and staying active this week! Hope to see you there! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10873477/september-week-2-group-challenge-moving-more-challenge#latest

Jessica :smile:
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    v6a68rw7u8x6.jpg
    Missing the following weigh-ins for this week (incl today):
    @Rachelw124
    @JenHul
    @laceyf53
    @mulecanter
    @kateineu

Stats begin EARLY on Sunday, so please report in ASAP! Also, if your weigh day isn't working with your current schedule, please let me know and we can switch you to a better day which accommodates your hectic schedule. Thanks!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    edited September 2022
    Options
    ur43yku6455y.png
  • LaurieWrobo
    Options
    Steps

Hey @LaurieWrobo thanks for reporting in on that date. You had great stats for August. I can see though, why your focus would have been elsewhere. How's your MIL doing now? I hope she's getting her strength back. I can't remember...does she live close to you and your family or is it a bit of a journey to see her?

Jessica

Hi - thx she's aoright - has a Dr appt Tuesday and my husband's sister is going with her - my husband's parents live 10 min from us
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Just reporting my steps ,sorry its been a while @jessicakrall8 but I can only get on WiFi at my hotel & it's a bit erratic.
    We have moved to Paros Island after spending 6 days on Naxos.The ferry we had booked was cancelled so it was a rush to get new tickets in time.The ferry experience is not for the faint hearted but we are used to it now.Its noisy,busy & chaotic,but worth it when you get there.
    My back is still painful at times but I can move easier.I will try & post some photos later.
    9/4 9,852
    9/5 14,724
    9/6 13,405
    9/7 10,239
    9/8 6,223
    9/9 12,250
    9/10 9,852

• jessicakrall8
    Options
    Wow @izzyred9400 what a beautiful beach...the water is gorgeous! AND I know you sent the kitty JUST FOR ME! :blush: Little dear is so cute!! I'd not want to leave it though! How sweet! Glad you're having a good time...don't go too crazy on your exercise and take care of your back! Enjoy your time!
    Jessica :smile:
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Fri 9/9: 14,624
    Sat 9/10: 14,206
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    Options
    @izzyred9400 - What a beautiful place to walk!
This discussion has been closed.