WaistAways Team Chat - OCTOBER 2022

Options

Replies

• LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    This was a very quiet day. My vegetable garden is now officially closed for the winter - last parsnips, winter squash, and lettuces came out today. Now it will be time to plant the winter rye and let it all go to sleep. And then I'll be all impatient for there to be a lot of snow so I can try out my new snowshoeing boots!

So how is everyone showing up this week? What are the things you commit to - what will you look for ways to do rather than avoid?

Maybe it is a magic number - calories, grams of the macro of your choice, minutes of exercise. Let's make this week count!

Parsnips! I love them and haven't had them in so long, of course I like them roasted with parmesan on :D

This week I am committing to slowing down when I eat and pacing myself with those at my table
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    @CarolAnnM2 Onederland.. how wonderful
    You have accomplished SO much! Way to go
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    10/2 exercise:
    11316 steps
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    OK gang! Time for those beautiful Tuesday people, along with one lovely Monday guest:
    @MoonlitMuse
    @Kali225
    @JEB03253
  • CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Thank you @ashleycarole86
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    @jane_76
    Welcome! Nice to meet you and thanks for the intro. Do not worry about flaking on the requirements of this group. Check in as often as you can, but know that the chat ebbs and flows.. sometimes it's super busy, and other times not so much. Like many of us, if you come here often you'll find you start to hear us in your head.
  • CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    @jane_76 Welcome to Waistaways! I look forward to getting to know you.

Thankyou @conleywoods and @CupcakeCrusoe
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,086 Member
    Options
    JEB03253 wrote: »
    The countdown to retirement has begun (last day at work will be 10/27). I'm not sure if I'm delighted or dreading it...
    I know exactly what you mean!! I was happy to retire, and then found the first year and more really, really difficult. I did not realise to what point I relied on having many decisions about what to do next all taken care of for me. Having to actually think about what to do all the time is hard! And feeling kinda useless is not much fun... Slowly it has improved, and now things are rolling along much better. Don't hesitate to reach out and to share your experiences of new retirement - everyone's going to join us there eventually, right? We're not too far apart either - maybe the next time I head down to visit my dad in Massachusetts we could meet up?

@jane_76 I am so glad I grabbed you for our team! I love your energy and commitment to renewing your own health after taking such great care of your parents, and enduring your loss, your injuries. I think you are going to be a great addition to the team. There will be ups and downs, but having this little group along with you will help, I can just about guarantee. Of course, I'm nosy (as well as bossy) - if you're comfortable sharing it, can you tell us where you are located?

Something you might find useful - the spreadsheet. Go visit it!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BQhVuIOeZ9JyShUWxSgcpQ4_adBy-hCdA2757FwX0GA/edit?usp=sharing
    It is fun to check our team and the others for inspiration, cautionary tales (check the week following "spectacular" losses - often there is a bounce back :grimace: ), to see how many "green" weeks people rack up, etc. A "green" weigh-in is one where you lost some weight. Red for gains, black for no change. ANY amount in a green week is to celebrate! 0.1 pounds? Sure! Month after month, the most successful losers are the people who tend green in however small amounts.

Scroll around. The five teams and all the weekly tallies are on tabs at the bottom. Within our team, scroll all the way to the right side to see the list of names and locations. Go down for the step/exercise stats, who is on "support team" (taking a break from weighing in for a bit, but staying with the team), who is on maintenance, etc. You never have to enter anything yourself - just enjoy spying on everyone from time to time :wink:

OK, that is enough of an assignment for our two new members today. Welcome again @Rachelw124 and @jane_76 :smiley:
  • MoonlitMuse
    MoonlitMuse Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I'm going to have to catch up on everyone's posts when I get a minute - but I'll give my quick update.

First off - the Redwoods were AMAZING. If you guys haven't been there, I can't recommend it enough. You can see photos, but until you stand beneath one, you don't fully grasp their immensity. My boys had to drag me kicking and screaming away from them.

Second - the wedding ceremony was quick, easy, and painless - just like I wanted. We were in and out in about 15 minutes and everyone was super nice! And then I went to the grocery store right afterwards to get ingredients for dinner :D.

My weight changed only a bit, which isn't terrible considering I spent a lot of time in a car with plenty of snacks (although I packed healthier options so it wasn't a total junk fest)

PW: 140
    CW: 141.2

With it being a new month and after 2 months of just being 'off' with my workouts, I'm getting back on track and have a structured plan. I lifted again yesterday and it felt soooo good. I'll be doing lifting 3x/wk with some biking on those days to round out my lunch hour and then yoga on the other 2 days plus I'm really going to emphasize to my hubby (omg it's so weird saying that now) that I NEED to be able to practice on the weekends as well. Then I'm going to try to stay consistent with my 2 miles of walking in the afternoons as well.

After these 8 weeks of the skinny-fat program to get me back into lifting, I was thinking about reading/doing either "Strong Curves" by Bret Contreras or "Thinner Leaner Stronger" by Michael Matthews. Has anybody tried either of these?
  • jane_76
    jane_76 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @CupcakeCrusoe @ashleycarole86 @CarolAnnM2 - thanks so much for the warm welcome!

@jugar - thanks for the additional info and "assignment"! What a well-oiled machine. Those spreadsheets are terrific.

As for my location, absolutely - I'm in eastern Ontario, Canada, aka where we are currently holding on for dear life to the last warm(ish) days of fall before the white stuff and windchills kick in next month. Fun fact: In summer, we often reach 45 C with the humidex (wild humidity up here) in summer and then dip to -45 C with the windchill in winter, so a 90 C range to make life interesting. I see a lot of us are in similar climates, so I'm sure I'm not alone in needing to fight off hibernation tendencies (carbs! comfort food! sleep!) as the days grow shorter and colder.

Really interesting to read a bit about everyone's lives, as well as successes and challenges... grateful to have been able to make the cut for October!

Today's plan is to eat clean (maybe make some soup?), get my water/vits/supps into me, tackle Day 1 of C25K, and if energy remains, do a quick 15-min strength training video. I'm a huge fan of Caroline Girvan on YouTube.

Wishing everyone a great day!
This discussion has been closed.