Jammin' January

Options

Replies

• SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Accountability: Jan 19, Shoulder workout. 11,000 steps. NSS: Day 6 completed!

(NSS means No Sugar Sherry!) I combatted cravings for it most of the day but didn't give in. After dinner I wanted to have a rice crispy bar but said to my self, have some mozzarella and prego sauce. It was SOOO delish. But I know I had too much. BUT it wasn't sugar. I'm trying to focus on the fact that NO sugar will have MANY rewards to my health. I just may not be able to see them, but I know its impacting my Hypothyroidism, my cholesterol as well as my gut health. Eventually I will figure out the scale. Even at 108 and 5' tall I am at a healthy weight. ITs just not the number I really want. But it is a healthy number.

Hi Tedra @Tedrafm Nice to have you. Night time snacking is mindset..... it sounds like you already know you aren't hungry. OR are you hungry? What are you snacking on? Can you switch it to say "I can have a snack but it has to be a hamburger and Green beans".

I'm sure I haven't lost anything this week on the scale but, perhaps I'll make it a weight loss weekend!
    I need to make sure I'm at 1500 calories max Fri/Sat/Sun. and I will see what that does to my scale weight.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @Welcome @Tedrafm! Any idea why you started eating late at night? Sounds like this wasn’t your usual?

I’m not sure how this may apply to you so as to not trigger the disordered eating but I started intermittent fasting and (so far) have stopped eating by 8:30pm - nothing after but water. I also heard folks brush their teeth after dinner.

I’m the lowest weight I’ve been seen October. Makes sense - as that’s when I started my 12 week training program. I need to see those quick wins (started IF at beginning of the year) - down 5 pounds!

I’ve just become interested in Pilates and obsessed with finding a reformer. It helped me thru a back issue years ago. Do I need it (as opposed to just a mat) to get results?
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Just was cleaning and putting away Christmas decorations and happened to come across my high school Memory book from my senior year. Much to my surprise....... I was looking at it all and found my weight.
    Yeah, they have a page where you put your height and weight. Mine said, 5'0" and 105#

OMG I thought, I'm the same weight as I was when I was a senior in high school. SUPER PROUD that I can say that. I think of the number of women who would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be at their high school weight ... Such a great testament to the daily work it's taken to keep my weight in check

and even if I am not where I really wanna be on that scale, I am more muscular than i was then. I would have never fit into a size 3 jean back then. I was a size 7. I know sizes are kinda messed up though. Anyway - Feeling good about myself. I am quite critical (as we all are) of our bodies. Maybe someday I'll get to 101 or 104.... I"m probably at 108 this morning but, I'm not stressing about it.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    Wow @SherryRueter - I’m sure you have to be in .001 percentile of people (make or female) who can say that about their weight. Forget feeling food - you should feel MAH-velous!!!

What’s that thing about youth wasted on the young? Didn’t know a thing about weight training in HS or college. I recall being a size 3-5, maybe 113-118, and a dancer friend squeezed my thigh and said “you have no muscle!” I thought who needs muscle, I’m petite with like a 21 inch waist. Muscle, schmuscle! 😂

Weight still going down - today I’m the lowest since July 2022! NSV - passing up weekend blueberry
    pancakes for my usual slice of Ezekiel bread.
    💪👏👏 and 🥲
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @mandycat_florida I like the idea of starting with small changes and then building to change habits, sounds interesting.
    @pmastro724 I'm pretty new to SC, just one year now. It's been a bit of an adjustment for a Jersey girl, but I love (most) of the weather.
    @tedrafm welcome to the group! I think the teeth-brushing idea is great for avoiding snacks at night.
    @SherryRueter I was thinking that the muscle that you've been building might be keeping your scale a bit stagnant. Do you take measurements at certain intervals? Congrats on being at your high school weight!!
    @CeeBeeSlim way to go with the loss and skipping the pancakes!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hi @tedrafm and welcome! I honestly don't have much for ideas on the nightime snacking other than finding out what kinds of meals will keep you satiated until bedtime - for me, that means lower carbs and higher protein/fats and lots of veggies.

Yesterday's workouts were my riding lesson and then a session on the elliptical with some stretching afterwards.
    Today floofy dog and I did a 5 mile hike at the park we went to last weekend - definitely a solid workout for us! Rainy, cool, and damp day, so the trails were fairly quiet, although I was honestly surprised how many people were actually still out there! It was actually quite beautiful in the damp haze, we even got pretty up close and personal to a small herd of deer (6 total).
    Hoping pretty soon we're fit enough to start running parts of the trail, I think we're getting close, but not quite there yet.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Did not have a weight loss weekend but the extra calories tasted ahhh maze ing
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have some cathing up to do ! Two weeks ago, we left for Milan for 4 days, and it was wonderful! We had lots of laughs as it was Fashion Week (the designers !!! the models !!!) and it was great just looking at people passing by. Also, the weather was more friendly than here in Belgium!

81mur60ia9be.png

After we came home last week Monday, things got really crazy at work. I basically came home to sleep (too short nights), shower and off again. So on Saturday, I took it easy. Finally caught up with the "coming back home laundry" and yesterday we went diving, despite the freezing temperatures. Yes, we got cold, the dive was soso, but it was worth it anyway to just do something fun.

66aqjp0p3h7z.png

A bit of stats: I managed my 70k steps a week, I still went to my PT sessions, but had to skip the workouts. Biking is impossible at the moment as the roads are icy, but still one dive done!
    Eating out in Milan was fab !! Pasta and tiramisu!! Yeah, I went a bit overboard and did let go of Becks for a few days. Then eating healthily while in a work craze wasn't easy but I tried and my weight went haywire. But today, I'm back to the pre-Milan weight, so I'm happy with that. Back on track now. No more trips are planned until end of April, so there we go !

I'll try to catch up with you all later :blush:
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    Catching up a bit:

@pmastro724, @Tedrafm and @spl8 : welcome to the group. We are pretty active here, so please feel welcome to post.

@SherryRueter (or NSS): refined sugar is something we definitely don't need. But I'm still all for fruit! I try to stay off the sugar as much as possible, but I'll dig into a dessert when on holiday (like tiramisu last week!). Both my parents were also diabetic (type 1 my mom, type 2 my dad) and I also saw first hand the effects of eating / drinking on health. I wish you lots of courage to cope with your dad's health issues.
    And you know, women over 50 lose the weight exactly the same way as those in their 20's, but I think you already answered that question yourself :wink:

@CeeBeeSlim : I hope you can cope well with your mom; dementia is terrible when it happens to your loved ones. Take care !!
    About the sweeteners: I have read a lot about it once, and I actually had a discussion about it with a neuro-surgeon who was diving into the data (long story), and her recommendation was that I could you use it, if it is just for one or two cups of tea, or to add to yogurt for example. She found that you would have to consume a LOT to go into the danger zone, and it was preferable to have some sweeteners instead of plain sugar.

@HoneyBadger302:love the pics !! Are you going ok with the 75 Hard? It seems so hard, it's otherwordly... I think you are very brave to take this on! And take care of the aches after the horseride. I can only imagine the ouchies !!

On a general note: watch out for eating around 1.200 kcals a day, it really is the absolute minimum and if you set your goal at 1.200, make sure that you eat back the workout cals. I'm at 1.400 at the moment, and eating back all my workout cals, which oftens puts me over 2.000 a day. And that is just too much (yes, thank you for the eye opener again after logging consistently), so I'll lower it to 1.400 + half of the workout cals. We'll see if that gets me out of the rut I'm in.

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Fantastic to see everyone on the roll with their January commitments! @SherryRueter thats amazing hitting your high school weight in a strong fit and better way. Same thing to you @CeeBeeSlim! Other than pregnancy and one dark period we shall not speak of (just before COVID and when I found MFP 😀), I've pretty much always been within 5--10 lbs of my high-school weight and i do congratulate myself for that (silently, not bragging out loud) since I was super fit in high-school. I know that if im working out, staying strong and flexible, then this is a great weight for me. And i do have to watch what i eat but I've never dropped below 1200 cals. I'm too active for anything less and it sounds like you are too!

Welcome to the new people and OMG @Antiopelle, I ❤️ the pics! I stupidly pictured you in a little wetsuit, not fully kitted out and hard core like a deep sea diver!!! That is so cool! @HoneyBadger I love your Floofy dog. Sounds like she's getting as fit on the Hard75 as you are. 😆

I'm in Vancouver right now, going through my father's things and addressing his estate (banks, lawyers ugh). It's OK going through his things so far. Not too emotional as we had such a long time to prepare ourselves. Its lovely being here with no kids - I can go for a run on the beach, walks in the woods, and then tackle my to do list in peace. Ive promised myself 5 runs (or big walks) in 5 days plus daily yoga - and did a fantastic run #1 yesterday. And im hanging with my mom who makes super healthy meals and has no snacks in the house!

Happy Monday all
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I did NOT get enough sleep last night! Fell asleep fine, but then woke up at like 2:30 and basically couldn't fall back asleep after that (might have dozed a bit between then and 3:30, but was wide awake after that). Not good.
    So for contract gig I hit the ground running this morning to knock a bunch of stuff out early (after my workout of course) so if my brain takes a dump later I've still gotten a fair bit accomplished. Thankfully should be a reasonably quiet day for the day job...
    Sun is trying to peek out, so that's kinda nice - been so gloomy this weekend, not helping my energy levels lol.
    Brain and body still adapting to the more regimented (and a lot less lazy) schedule, but it's been manageable - I'm realizing just how lazy I had started to become though! I would see a few of my friends just constantly on the go and wondering how they did it all - seeing that I was just being a whole lot lazier and wasting soooo much time in front of the TV, online, or on social media accomplishing nothing...
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @k8richly Kudos to you too for staying near your HS weight! And glad to hear this time hasn’t been too stressful for you. Applause for your mom for helping you stay on track!

@Antiopelle - thanks for sharing the feedback your doc gave you. I only use two truvia packets in my coffee daily. I could get it down to one. Thanks for the kind thoughts about my mom. I’m handling it ok I think. Good days/bad days. Congrats on being back to your pre-trip weight. Great photo - next level stuff!! 💪💪💪🤿🤿🤿

@HoneyBadger302 - once I’m up I rarely can do back to sleep. Plan on asking the doc at my next visit for some help!
  • Antiopelle
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim and @HoneyBadger302: it might seem a stupid trick, but it helped for me, maybe you can just try it. When waking up in the middle of the night, of course you are going to think about issues and problems that are happening in your life. For me it helps to visualize a perfect happening. It's your 'dream', so anything can happen. Just choose a perfect thing. For me it's for example imagining living in a warm country, with loads of money, surrounded by my loved ones, a house on the beach and me helping out in an elephant sanctuary while the chef prepares scrumptious healthy curries. Ha ! :smiley: The more you try to focus on details, the easier it is to sleep again, as your brain will pick up on this and prepare to go dreaming again.

I'm sure it won't work for everyone, but you can try.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @HoneyBadger302 I'm surprised your pooch didn't scare the deer away! Sounds like you have some great walks regardless of the weather.
    @Antiopelle the pictures are great, thanks for sharing. Congrats on getting back to your pre-vacation weight.
    @k8richly Glad you're able to spend time with your mom, and what a bonus that she makes healthy meals! Please do take care of yourself to manage the stress that can be caused by estate handling. Run on the beach sounds invigorating.
    @CeeBeeSlim I wake up multiple times throughout the night, but do manage to get back to sleep pretty quickly most of the time. When my brain does fire up, I sing a song to myself in my head, usually The Beatles' Golden Slumbers, but it can be anything :) Focusing on the lyrics gets my mind away from all of the other stuff it was trying to think about.
    The temp yoga instructor that has been teaching at the gym is going to stay on after the regular one returns next month WOOHOO. They are changing her days though so now I'll probably have to alternate between the two if I want to keep taking the step classes.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    -Forgot to post Sunday-
    January:
    Early 60s, 5'-8" (ish)
    SW (02.10.22) - 150 lbs
    Last Month's SW - 141.8 (11.30.22)
    Prior Weeks - 139.4 (01.01.23)
    138.6 (01.08.23)
    137.6 (01.15.23)
    CW - 135.8 (01.22.23)
    Jan GW - 135.4
    Final GW - 125 lbs (or may possibly stop at 130, depending on how I feel and look)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 - wow! You almost to your January goal weight! Good for you.

And you and @Antiopelle make good points! I think if I just let my mind go to all the “to-do’s” once I awake, I think it will rid me of the thoughts. All it does it brings me down a rabbit hole! I’m going to try both your more positive solutions.

If all goes well I’m back on the road to hubby by the end of the week. I think I’m motivated and disciplined enough to bypass the on-the-road fast food (will pack protein bar, fruit and nuts) and just have to be prepared for hubby’s “sad-face” when I politely but lovingly decline all the treats I know he’s stored up for me - all the gifted treats from the holidays!
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    @ceebeeslim - maybe give him a heads up that you are not going to indulge in those treats this time. Good luck on the road.

I was on plan yesterday, it felt so good to not only be on plan, but to go to sleep knowing I was under my calories and NOT feeling bad about my over eating or my eating choices. Man, it sure made today seem easier. ALSO, i have brought a bag of cauliflower (whole) frozen to work. That way when I want a snack, I have a hot veggie I can have 1 cup at a time. It's really helped (and saying NO to that little voice ....the one that derails me) well, that's helped too.

Its almost wed.
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    Made it successfully through another day. On point- under calories. Pretty close to 1200-1300 (ceebeeslim). But I’m also trying to workout less (cleaned house instead of going to the gym at 5pm) - bonus, my bedroom feels so clean and I am mentally happy about it. Great feeling! And, tomorrow I can totally do this again.

Feeling so empowered.
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    Made it successfully through another day. On point- under calories. Pretty close to 1200-1300 (ceebeeslim). But I’m also trying to workout less (cleaned house instead of going to the gym at 5pm) - bonus, my bedroom feels so clean and I am mentally happy about it. Great feeling! And, tomorrow I can totally do this again.

Feeling so empowered.

You are doing great !!

And yes, improving your NEAT will have side effects, like a cleaner house :smiley:
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    *Did not weigh* I thought about it but, I don't think I can handle the information in an adult manner. I think that if I weigh and I'm up, i'll over eat and , if I'm down I'll over eat . So since I don't see that weighing will be helpful for me, I am not going to do it.

Tuesday went well. I strung together another successful day! I went to sleep with a busy mind, but not because of my food. My father's health is not good right now and he is being a "donkeys behind" in the hospital. This 350# man cannot walk on his own, cannot get in and out of bed on his own and cannot dress himself. YET... he believes that "WE" want him in a nursing facility to leave him to rot. What the hell!?!? Duuuuude you cannot walk, wipe your "donkey's behind" or get dressed. You need to be in there so you can re-gain strength to do these things! Geeeez-zusss.

I also would like to take this opportunity to rant and say Y'all need to be practicing burpees. The ability to get down on to the floor and back up. The ability to move side to side. up and down. do squats and walk is SOOOOO important! We do NOT exercise to lose weight. We exercise so that when we are 70 we don't have such as lazy "donkey's behind" that we can't do the basics in life. We exercise so we can stay agile and LIVE life. Instead of sit and watch it happen. YES< food plays a part in it but, this exercise thing...it's so that you can stay mobile and agile. And I really belive it helps you stay in your right mind as well.

Rant over... Any prayers for me and my siblings are welcome.
    I know I'm preaching to the choir but, just putting my reminder out into the world.

My house does look amazing. Cleaned part of the kitchen last night....might do to the cupboards tonight. Its so sparkly.