Starting today 1 September

Options

Replies

• jamifishie
    jamifishie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You won't miss the squats in stage 2…between the static lunges and the Bulgarian split squats, you’ll still be building all those muscles! Plus, the workouts in Stage 2 take a long longer. Just FYI.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Love the tips posted here. I am starting stage one now, workout 1/b planned for tomrrow. I am throughly sore from 1/A, more that i expected....
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I seem to have hurt my back last week attempting 100# deadlifts. I'm giving my body a rest week (unfortunately!) but it's *that* bad... will pick up on 8A on Friday, but will be skipping the deadlifts for workout B (sucks!!!) Mad that this puts me back a week but I know I have to be careful with injuries now...

How's everyone doing?
  • rocky503
    Options
    I'm getting my gym picked out, TODAY a gym I like had special which I snapped up. So plan is for work 1B tommorrow and a range of motion workout. My plan is 2 to three workouts a week, with the third workout every other week due to work schedule. Interspersed with HIIT. My first goal is NOT to get injured, then drop 4 pounds and get some muscle. Working on getting my eating and workout plans in order......
  • rocky503
    Options
    workout 1/B today. dead lift 40#, press 24# (free weights), starting light since I tend get really sore if I do too much. Also an hour of adapt physical training. And it's belly dancing night so 75 minutes for that. Rest day Thursday. Not sure how my weekend will play out since I'm going out of town a couple of nights.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Rocky - sounds like a plan, especially the no injury part! I definitely pushed my deadlift too far last week and tweaked my back. Felt much better today doing 8A this morning, but I used the leg press machine for the "squat" since I was afraid of the extra weight on my back squat. Sunday will be 8B (with a light deadlift!) and then off to Stage 2 next week!

What is your food plan? I would still like to shed a few pounds around my midsection...
  • rocky503
    Options
    Hi CanGirl

Glad to hear you back is better, careful on the leg press machine as I've herd that can be bad for your low back.... I will be on workout week 2 of stage one this week. I was gone for three days and no chance to do anything. Diet wise I set my intake at seditary 1600 caloires a day althogh I'm really more active and eat about 1800 a day on average. I'm battling about four pounds now. I eat real food, mostly unprocessed, three meals day, heavy on protein, fiber and good fats. (at least I try). I have really cut out or cut down on diary, peanuts, corn, wheat and soy.

I usually have steel cut oatmeal or a hemp smoothie for breakfast, which keeps my calories in check and makes it easy for me to get breakfast eaten on a regular basis. Portion control helps, no eating after dinner, green tea before bed. 1 to 3 alcohol drinks on weekends and one or two small desserts..if I stick to that i can lose and maintain. I'm not into the fasting thing.
  • rocky503
    Options
    Check out "This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off" by Jackie Warner. Her manner is a little brisk but her messages are pretty right on good advice as you get older and start getting the creeping weight gain. The title makes it sound more gimmicky than it really is. But good advice and for me was some stuff I already knew but wasn't implementing. I lost a few pound following the advice and keeping a food diary has made a big differnce for me too.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hey Rocky - I am so going to look into that book. Jackie Warner -- she had a TV show right? Reality TV on her gym? Wow, you eat very clean. If you look at my diary you will see that I am nowhere near your willpower. I am making a concerted effort to not eat after 7pm this week!!!! And to not have little treats throughout the day - save them for "dessert" if I so choose...

Trying to stick to 1600-1700 cals this week and going to log faithfully!!! I also struggle with about 5 pounds (of belly fat!)
  • rocky503
    Options
    CanGirl
    I saw your challenge to yourself. Not eating at night is a tough habit to break. Eat at a resonable time, not too early. Then brush you teeth right after. Drink a couple of large glasses of water. Later in the evening when you feel snacky have a cup of green tea. I actually did take a look at your diary. I was thinking cutting out all the fake sugars might be helpful and the gum.

I'll join in not eating at night. I fell off last night did have a bad midnight snack so starting today for the rest of the October no snacking!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hey Rocky - yeah the last couple of weeks have been bad for sugar and artificial sweeteners!!!! I just find I really need a treat at night when I'm doing my "homework" -- I'm a teacher...Today was much better. I can't believe how much I resisted the little snacks here and there....I think those were really adding up!!!! We had dinner at 6:30pm so there wasn't a lot of time between meal and bedtime. Much easier not to snack after.

My meals are basically:

8am - protein shake
    11am - energy ball
    1:15pm - chicken breast and cheese; raw veggies
    4pm - strawberries and yogurt; 2 dark chocolate squares
    6:30 - dinner - chicken in sauce with Naan bread (whole wheat!), peas
    After dinner, small 'healthy' pumpkin cookie with light hot chocolate

Stage 2A tomorrow. My back was acting up again today and I was sooo not happy about that!!!
  • rocky503
    Options
    menu looks good, try no calorie drinks while doing your homework. I like sparking mineral water with lime and tea. For something sweet no sugar coco.

I will work out on friday so busy til then, including teaching art lit at my DD elementary school. I think I'll add kettle bell workouts at home back in since I'm getting to gym as much as I'd like.

I was strong last night no snacking!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Did stage 2B yesterday and unfortunately didn't go as well as I'd hoped. But I find the start of each stage difficult to navigate and easier once into the groove. I cant do the deadlifts because if my back. Can't even remember what I did instead! Was happy that underhand lat pulldown didn't bother my arm like it did in the spring! Also had to skip prone cobra and Cuban snatch because of back. Did some lat raises and planks instead. Still got in a 600 calorie burn so I guess it wasn't that bad! Lol

Managing to keep my cals around 1700 although today wasn't the cleanest of eating!! I need more veggies and fruit!!!!
  • rocky503
    Options
    I'm getting thru stage one, three more works outs then on to stage two. Roman dead lift 45 or 55 pounds (don't know the bar size), Step ups with 40 ponds and globe squats with 40 pounds. using a cable machine with 40 pounds for pull and static side planks.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hey Rocky - I guess I'm ahead of you a bit; that's ok...you're doing great! I'm finally off this "cereal before bed" habit which is really helping to finally move the scale down again...Eating around 1700 cals/day while supposedly burning on average 2100. Did Stage 2, 3B today and finally able to do a little bit of deadlifts again (55# total and focused on form - still feel like I'm not doing it right...will see about a trainer!) and the Cuban prone snatch I was able to do as well now! Yay for healed injuries!!! :) So nice to not have discomfort so much throughout the day!
    Actually loved the Bulgarian split squat and lunges today (not sure why!!!) I guess I like the challenge. 25 minutes of awesome HIIT after weights today - I love it when I see cardio as a "reward"! I love zoning out on the spin bike; I work out a lot of problems on that bike!!!
    Have you done any swimming? I'm flirting with the idea lately! I'm SOOO not a good swimmer!!
  • rocky503
    Options
    Hi CanGirl
    I got my HR battery changed so glad about that. Off for Range of Motion session then a weight lifting session now. I grew up swimming, living near ocean water most of my childhood. Now a days I very rarely swim. Only if at hotel or taking my daughter to the pool. I don't enjoy doing laps much and I get a little icked out about pool water. I prefer salt water.

I feel great lately, sticking to my nutrition plan and body aches are minimal. Goal weight is fairly stable. Just want a little more muscle now and to survive the holidays not too chubby.

Did you say you are a size two somwhere? If so don't know what else you need to lose...have a good weekend.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hey,

good that you got your HRM battery changed! My HRM is acting wonky...and I just got the battery replaced a few months ago...so I don't know what's going on...it's just not reading the HR consistently. Will cut out from time to time...? How many cals do you find you burn a session? I'm averaging 600.

In my "Apt. 9" dress pants, I wear a "2" but they are vanity-sized IMO. At H&M, I wear a size 6 pant. For me, it's all in my belly. I could NOT get chips out of my head yesterday, like a SERIOUS craving...sure enough I broke down and had a bowl...and then seconds...and then chocolate...I had SO many cravings yesterday! Then my new app says I'm due for AF tomorrow so that could explain it! LOL

I think I finished stage 2 today! I did each workout 4 times. Not well though, since I've had this back injury (which is flaring up again since I pushed myself this morning! ugh!) Guess I will start looking at stage 3 for this week! I pretty much made no strength gains in stage 2 other than I found the moves "easier"...
  • rocky503
    Options
    Hey CanGirl
    So in stage two you didn't experience any increased in weight or reps over the four weeks? Or are you comparing to the last time you went thru stage 2? Don't mess around with your back....let it heal fully, not worth it to work out injured. The HRM, have you tried cleaning the strap and wrist band well after work outs? The sweat and salt build up can make it not work right. Also if you are working around other people with HRMs that could interfere. I was exicited last week because I change my battery myself and saved at least 17 dollars, what it cost me last time I had it done professionally. In a weight training session for an hour including Range of motion I buned about 360 caloires. If I'm doing very intense aerobic activity I burn between 500 and 700 caloires an hour...

After my back to back work outs last week I had couple of back twinges like sciatica, so plan on being really careful. It was just one day and fine now.

I'll be finishing stage one this week. I have travel next week so stage 2 is scheduled for start week of Nov 11th....

I haven't been as true as I'd like with evening snacking since we discuss it. working on it.... :indifferent:
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    I hear you....my evening snacking is still bad (check out my diary! LOL) but no cereal at least!

As for the strap, yes, I washed it and today everything worked perfectly so maybe that was the problem! Thanks!

I was checking my records and I started stage 2 on october 16th, so I knew there was no way I had completed every workout...turns out I skipped a week...lol. So I did 4A today (again had to modify because of back) but my 1 hour, 15 minute workout burned 620 cals! Back bothersome today still...grrrrrr....so yes, still stuck at same weights...but better than the first time I went thru stage 2...

I did 35# for squat/push press.
    Push ups off high bench
    15# for lunges off low step
    20# for step ups (should be higher...)
    Planks not a problem - could go longer if weren't for back
    instead of point rows, did an upper back machine...
  • rocky503
    Options
    my next workout I'll list my weights. for step ups using 20x2, barbell bench press 20 or 22.5 x 2. Can't remember exactly for dead lifts. Using the pully machine. Holding planks 1 minute x 2 reps, front and each side.

I may have just had my HRM on for my weight training and not RAMP. I pay better attention next time. Weight is stable today...

I am cutting back altogther lately on alcohol to keep my caloires in check.