Shape Shifters Team Chat - APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• cre804
    cre804 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Started reading Atomic Habits instead (30 pgs). From today's reading:
    "If you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you'll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you're done. Conversely if you get 1 percent worse each day for one year, you'll decline nearly down to zero." Anyone start this year in the negative? ✋🏽

I just finished reading Atomic Habits! Lots of great wisdom there. One that I wrote down was “You fall to your level of systems.” That perfectly describes me because I have totally failed in the meal planning department. I’m fine for breakfast and lunch, but afternoon snacks and dinner are haphazard. That’s something I really need to work on.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,231 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl Please EXC me from this week's weigh in due to swelling. Thanks!
    Jessica
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I would like to be added to the Step Challenge for April please.
    I will keep at 15,000 steps.
    I have a few favourite places to walk alone & a few with friends.
    My local park is beautiful,it has been restored to its original Victorian state.There are several routes through the park,one is along a canal route.Another through woodland & farms.There is always something interesting to look at & to listen to.
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Oh @Pupowl , Tinus didn't look happy you caught him on camera. Lol
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    cre804 wrote: »
    Started reading Atomic Habits instead (30 pgs). From today's reading:
    "If you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you'll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you're done. Conversely if you get 1 percent worse each day for one year, you'll decline nearly down to zero." Anyone start this year in the negative? ✋🏽

I just finished reading Atomic Habits! Lots of great wisdom there. One that I wrote down was “You fall to your level of systems.” That perfectly describes me because I have totally failed in the meal planning department. I’m fine for breakfast and lunch, but afternoon snacks and dinner are haphazard. That’s something I really need to work on.

I'm only partway through, but it's one of the best self-improvement books I've read. I also subscribe to the author's weekly emails which are a quick dose of additional insight.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous weight-172.9
    Current weight-173

This was from last Wednesday, I legit forgot to post. We have Noro virus going through my work and I am one of the few to not have gotten it so I have been called in everyday.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    3/27-11,493
    3/29-11,442
    3/29-9,232
    3/30-12,503
    3/31-6,907
    4/1-9,501
    4/2-14,033
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,786 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello steppers! We are missing a few steps from people for week 5 which runs from 26 March/1 April. Here is what we still need.
    @LaurieWrobo @Alleykat69 Sat Apr 1
    @pedal__power @KHill875 Fri & Sat April 1 & 2
    @ac204 The whole of week 5
    Also remember to sign up for the step challenge again in April if you would like to keep stepping. The reason this doesn't carry over is so that you can adjust your step goal if you want, so let me know. Thank you!
  • Pupowl
    Options
    @jessicakrall8
    Got it, hope you are doing alright! <3
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters. Here is the daily card. Happy Tuesday everyone <3
    wucren1qgb07.jpg
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I'm only partway through, but it's one of the best self-improvement books I've read. I also subscribe to the author's weekly emails which are a quick dose of additional insight.

I agree! I found myself constantly taking notes, which I never do. I knew the author had a website but I forgot about the emails. I’ll make a note to explore both this week.

• LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,321 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Steps:
    3/29 6,913
    3/30 3,713
    3/31 4,284

@Pupowl here's from 3/29-3/31 I posted on 4/1 the other steps were posted in the other chat here they are again
    3/26 4,458
    3/27 3,744
    3/28 4,752
    I stated I wasn't getting many in bc of the snow/cold/wind

4/1 3,255
    4/2 5,928
    4/3 3,002

I should be caught up now I lowered my step count to 5,000
    LET ME KNOW IF ANYTHING ELSE IS NEEDED
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I hope the weather is not causing too much difficulty for you @Armygirlarmyof1 and others. I agree with @SavageMrsMoose — the unpredictability of tornadoes makes them especially scary to me. Growing up in Boston, I learned all the tips for preparing against Nor’easters, but I still remember how scared my mother and I were watching a tornado coming towards our house in Ohio while waiting for my 5-year old brother’s school bus to arrive home.

We were all safe in the end - and enjoyed playing and balancing along the fallen trees behind our house after the storm - but I’m sure my mother must have been a mess with children ages 5, 4, 2, and either pregnant or caring for a new born infant (can’t remember the month but my youngest brother was born in October). My father was on the road with his team at the time I think 😬 — Stay safe, everyone!

We are fortunate here after moving the porch chairs inside and ‘battening down the hatches.’ The heavy winds and rain moved through over the weekend without any damage (beyond some small broken branches that fell); and, today is beautiful.

It’s our first day back on the water for rowing so I’m happy 😃! The water was rough but manageable — It’s great to be back outside!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    I also really enjoyed the Atomic Habits book and subscribed to the email messages. I don’t open the messages as much as I used to so I appreciate the reminder. I’ve been thinking about reading it again but I loaned it to my son and he still has it.

The Power of Habit (by Charles Duhigg) is also a good book. I think the author of Atomic Habits (James Clear?) refers to Duhigg in his book, if I remember correctly.

Since it’s a new rowing season and my schedule changes, I’m trying to use the new routine as an opportunity to make some positive changes. One of the ‘environment’ changes I’m making is to put some cards in my car so I can write to friends and families during a break (half hour to an hour) I have between my sculling and 8-person rowing practices. I want to be a person who stays in touch better with my loved ones, but I haven’t yet built the habit. I’m also testing out different ideas to fill that time slot.

@cre804 - Which strategy are you trying out for your snack and dinner prep?

I’m going to try the ‘stacking’ strategy to stay on top of my invoice preparation and tracking expenses. I plan to track expenses when I log my afternoon snack or dinner in the MFP app. I hope it works!

What habits are others working to build?
  • Pupowl
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo
    Yep, all good. We were just missing the 1st of April for the March sheet. Thank you!
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Since everyone has been talking about it, I also downloaded the book Atomic Habits. These types of books tend to be very hit or miss for me, mostly miss. So I will let you all know what I think about it when I get a bit further in. I am currently reading about the author brag about all his achievements, which he specifically stated wasn't 'boastful', lol.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Since we’re on the topic of habits and building routines, I think it’s also important to mention that many of the experts recommended starting small.

The guilt and shame we feel when we don’t achieve our goal can really create a negative cycle of distress, avoidance, etc.

I’m no expert but I’ve definitely learned the hard way. Chunking big goals into manageable steps - that sometimes need to be chunked into even smaller steps - is helpful when the bigger task feels overwhelming.

There’s a good TED video about a woman who talks about how many steps are involved in completing a load of laundry. She reminds us how difficult seemingly ‘easy’ tasks can be, especially when facing obstacles like depression. Finding that ‘sweet spot’ in setting goals that are just within the right challenge range (or zone of proximal development) can take practice. I’m including a link to the video here and look forward to supporting one another as we practice new approaches to meet our goals:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1O_MjMRkPg
This discussion has been closed.