Shape Shifters Team Chat - APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @Pupowl - I was thinking some similar thoughts when we cross-posted. Your comment appeared first but I have a similar reaction to the author of Atomic Habits. He seems to have a bit of a ‘holier than thou’ attitude, which I rationalized as him trying to undersell all the hard work that goes into building new habits - and making it sound simpler than it is - as a way to encourage us to try it. — So we don’t give up or defeat ourselves before we even try the strategies.

I believe in creating processes as @cre804 noted from the author but there are often many contextual factors that can drive or constrain our success. That requires lots of reflection and trying again. My work is in the area of ‘social learning’ so I’m less of a ‘behaviorist’ in my approach to making improvements but I think there is an important role for each type of learning, depending on the problem we’re trying to solve, change we’re trying to make, and contextual factors we face. I’m curious to hear other reactions and I’ll watch for what you and others have to say after reading it.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,786 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello Shape Shifters. Short post from me today since I didn't do anything all day except for some shopping. I ordered stuff I need to fence off my front yard and some other garden things. It cost me €544 which is a big oof, but I don't really count this as my money because of the huge money gift I got a while back. I knew when I got that gift I would use it for the garden, so I am fine with it. My savings are still in great shape, and honestly, not having cats and dogs poop and pee in my front yard anymore will be so worth it.
    My dad is coming over Saturday evening to help remove some shrubs so I went out and bought some gloves for us since there is holly tree nearby and I know from experience that grabbing a leaf by accident isn't enjoyable. I also got some new treats for Tinus. Good night everyone <3

@PatriceFitnessPal
    Yeah, I get that feeling quite often from self-help books. Or they write a whole lot without actually saying anything, which is a skill in itself honestly.
    I did really appreciate the TED talk you linked; it made me cry. I have been chronically ill for around 20 years so I learned the hard way that I can't do everything like a 'normal' person. Some of the changes I made are probably a bit extreme (no cooking, shaving my head) but I have tried every alternative and none of it works for me. If there is something I can do to make my life easier, then I will totally do it. I sent the link to a friend of mine who struggles a lot with cleaning, so I hope he will get something out of it. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    step check-in:
    3/31 15,076
    4/1 12,894
    4/2 15,063
    4/3 11,992

I would love to sign up for the April step challenge. My goal will continue to be 14K steps. My favourite place to walk is a nearby forest and dog park. Thanks @Pupowl and @jessicakrall8 for offering this challenge, it's given me motivation on multiple occasions when I haven't quite felt like moving.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,231 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    @jessicakrall8
    Got it, hope you are doing alright! <3

I was in a lot of pain yesterday and this morning, but got better throughout the day. I feel like I'd love to walk tonight, but I'm going to take it easy and hopefully walk a little more tomorrow. Might take a few days to get through it. Thanks for your kind words!
    Jessica
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,456 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Sun 4/2: 12,359
    Mon 4/3: 12,118
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm with @Pupowl on the motivational books/speakers and especially posters. I don't find them helpful or generally insightful. I can however understand how others can find them helpful and motivating.
    I think I'm to analytical to find them helpful
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal , yes tornafic activity is very scary. And we've got a storm brewing right now. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that no tornadic activity happens. Although conditions will be right again for that
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I also really enjoyed the Atomic Habits book and subscribed to the email messages. I don’t open the messages as much as I used to so I appreciate the reminder. I’ve been thinking about reading it again but I loaned it to my son and he still has it.

The Power of Habit (by Charles Duhigg) is also a good book. I think the author of Atomic Habits (James Clear?) refers to Duhigg in his book, if I remember correctly.

Since it’s a new rowing season and my schedule changes, I’m trying to use the new routine as an opportunity to make some positive changes. One of the ‘environment’ changes I’m making is to put some cards in my car so I can write to friends and families during a break (half hour to an hour) I have between my sculling and 8-person rowing practices. I want to be a person who stays in touch better with my loved ones, but I haven’t yet built the habit. I’m also testing out different ideas to fill that time slot.

@cre804 - Which strategy are you trying out for your snack and dinner prep?

I’m going to try the ‘stacking’ strategy to stay on top of my invoice preparation and tracking expenses. I plan to track expenses when I log my afternoon snack or dinner in the MFP app. I hope it works!

What habits are others working to build?

Right now, I’m starting small. My goal is to drink more liquids and hit my protein goal. I’m trying to hit both by having a protein drink for my afternoon snack. I’m using the Water Llama app to track my drinks. You set your water goal and the app gives you partial credit for other beverages (or you totally go negative if you drink alcohol) If you get the premium version you can add drinks and do a couple other things. I wish I bought that at the start because the intro price was a bit cheaper, but I didn’t know anything about it at the time. It reminds you throughout the day to drink up, so that’s been helpful.
  • reshii_devi
    reshii_devi Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    cre804 wrote: »
    Started reading Atomic Habits instead (30 pgs). From today's reading:
    "If you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you'll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you're done. Conversely if you get 1 percent worse each day for one year, you'll decline nearly down to zero." Anyone start this year in the negative? ✋🏽

I just finished reading Atomic Habits! Lots of great wisdom there. One that I wrote down was “You fall to your level of systems.” That perfectly describes me because I have totally failed in the meal planning department. I’m fine for breakfast and lunch, but afternoon snacks and dinner are haphazard. That’s something I really need to work on.

@cre804 that was my first (and longest resounding) aha moment ~ I even posted it because it felt like it was confirmation of my decision to start the #GoHard strategies ... or should I say systems :D:D So many of my decisions the past few years just clicked after reading it. They say when the student is ready, lol ....
  • reshii_devi
    Options
    Started reading Atomic Habits instead (30 pgs). From today's reading:
    "If you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you'll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you're done. Conversely if you get 1 percent worse each day for one year, you'll decline nearly down to zero." Anyone start this year in the negative? ✋🏽

I just finished reading Atomic Habits! Lots of great wisdom there. One that I wrote down was “You fall to your level of systems.” That perfectly describes me because I have totally failed in the meal planning department. I’m fine for breakfast and lunch, but afternoon snacks and dinner are haphazard. That’s something I really need to work on.

I'm only partway through, but it's one of the best self-improvement books I've read. I also subscribe to the author's weekly emails which are a quick dose of additional insight.

didn't know about the emails @bearchested ~ will look into that, thanks!
  • reshii_devi
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm only partway through, but it's one of the best self-improvement books I've read. I also subscribe to the author's weekly emails which are a quick dose of additional insight.

I agree! I found myself constantly taking notes, which I never do. I knew the author had a website but I forgot about the emails. I’ll make a note to explore both this week.

@cre804 picked up a new notebook today to reflect and journal on whatever nuggets jump out at me this month. Might become a new habit.
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    @jessicakrall8
    Got it, hope you are doing alright! <3

I was in a lot of pain yesterday and this morning, but got better throughout the day. I feel like I'd love to walk tonight, but I'm going to take it easy and hopefully walk a little more tomorrow. Might take a few days to get through it. Thanks for your kind words!
    Jessica

Oh, that doesn't sound fun at all! I am sorry you were in so much pain. Good luck getting your walking in, but don't push too hard.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2023
    Options
    There are a lot of new ideas and programs being shared. I’m feeling the spring energy in my region and wishing you all well on your endeavors!

Enjoy your trip to Europe @MrsSavageMoose! I hope everything flows smoothly during these last few days of preparation and traveling. I’m looking forward to hearing about your visits and experiences!

My morning sculling session was canceled due to choppy water and the coach not feeling well. So, I’m going to write a card to each of my sons before my ‘Late-riser Rowing’ practice. We jokingly call ourselves the ‘civilized rowing’ group because the competitive crew teams wake up about 4:00am and put their boats in the water by 5:00am. We’re meeting even later than usual today because the high school students are practicing during their spring break and we have to wait until they finish. So, we’ll start at 9:45am instead of 8:45am — which is messing with my work schedule!

I have some deadlines to meet today so I might be tight on time, which can sometimes lead to delaying my meals and then eating unhealthy snacks or overeating later. So, I’m planning to avoid these pitfalls by drinking a quick smoothie (with fruit, spinach, and ginger) as soon as I get home from rowing. Here’s the recipe if you’re interested:

https://www.sunglowkitchen.com/detox-island-green-tropical-smoothie/

I hope you have a good day!
  • Pupowl
    Options
    @CasandraW
    That sounds like a pretty thorough and intense plan to me! I bet it helps a lot with being accountable. Really hoping it will help with your insulin issues. Keep us up to date please!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @CasandraW - Yes, what @Pupowl wrote! ^^^

I especially like the meal recommendations and suggested recipes aspect of your plan! Deciding what to make is the hardest part of cooking for me. I wish I could plan my meals better so that piece would be really helpful to me.
  • reshii_devi
    edited April 2023
    Options
    What a great plan @CasandraW ! You've got every base covered. Like @PatriceFitnessPal my diet is my biggest struggle right now. But I'm making better choices everyday so proud of that.

@Pupowl I'd like to sign up for the step challenge. Does logging help our overall team score? Goooo ShapeShifters!!

I've been increasing my step count every month since starting at 3-4K/day back in January. The initial goal was to reach 8K/day, which I finally did consistenly in March. Upped the ante it to 9-11K/day for April because as a remote worker, some days 8K is still a real stretch.

April 1 - 493 - My Fitbit died away from home. :( was so sad two days, lol ~ not a true count.
    April 2 - 9, 531
    April 3 - 12,256
    April 4 - 14,579
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,227 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hi Shifters! Two lucky last minute people joining your team - please welcome @Jlswensen and @eahrenee :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.