Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Catching up on old posts. I’m waiting on a delayed flight for the second day in a row. Ughh

@PatriceFitnessPal - your husband sounds like a gem. I’d be tired to after a 3 week trip abroad. Airline travel kind of sucks.

It’s been weird being on maintenance. I got hit with a nasty stomach bug and dropped 2 pounds last week, then gained back four and have now settled back to my goal weight. Still would like to lose a couple more for cushion but am happy where I am - scale wise anyway.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying out of the heat. Fingers crossed my flight eventually departs.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,155 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello! I reached my goal weight last week. Do I need to keep posting or am I on reserve now?

Had a fight with a nasty stomach bug last week and weight has been up and down, but currently back at 135 - my goal weight.

@SavageMrsMoose That is completely up to you. As we discussed a few weeks ago, most people like to go a little below their goal weight before going into Maintenance to give them a little bit of a cushion because it takes some time to get used to the change from losing weight to maintaining. You can move to Maintenance as soon as you set your maintenance range...usually a 10 lb window and as long as you stay within that 10 lb window, you can stay in maintenance. You'll still weigh in once a week and report in, but you're not part of the stats for the team.

So, once you decide your range and that you're at a comfortable weight to begin maintenance, just let me or @pupowl know and we'll get you moved to the Goal Zone.

CONGRATS again on hitting goal! We're all very proud of your progress!
    Jessica
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Weigh In
    PW: 160.2
    CW: 160.6
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I’d like to set my maintenance goal from 130-140. I’m currently at 134.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    @SavageMrsMoose - I’m sorry to hear you weren’t feeling well but I’m glad you’re better now.

You may already have a link to the Goal Zone: Maintenance Chat section of the FtF group but I thought I’d post it here in case you, or other members, are interested in the extra support for sustaining our progress over the long term.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10803339/goal-zone-maintenance-chat#latest

Sustaining the lifestyle and habit changes feels like a slightly different challenge to me. It was easier for me during the pandemic without the peer pressure of the usual social situations. So, now I’m establishing a new balance. Eighty percent of the time, I try to maintain a steady routine of good health and 20 percent is more flexible. Friends, family, work, and community connections are important to me so I’ll just keep testing out behaviors and reflecting on priorities until I get it right. I’m not there yet but I think I’m gaining insight and making progress.

There is a National Institutes for Health (NIH) study of 29 long-term weight loss studies about regaining weight after an initial loss that found that “more than half of the lost weight was regained within two years, and by five years more than 80% of lost weight was regained. If anyone is interested in the full NIH meta-analysis report, just let me know and I’ll post a link.

For me, there’s been a lot to learn about sustaining success. The maintenance support has been important to me. Right now, I’m weighing in with our group as usual, and my weigh in numbers are included in our ShapeShifters team stats, because I exceeded my target range for two consecutive weeks. I kept creeping up but I think I’m finally on a downward trajectory.

You’re going great, @SavageMrsMoose! When you get a chance, please share what’s been working for you.
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    I’d like to set my maintenance goal from 130-140. I’m currently at 134.

I've put in the request with the MODS @Pupowl and @savagemrsmoose to move her to the Goal Zone, with her requested range. FYI
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Not around much this week I'm afraid...checking in and taking care of the spreadsheet in the evenings, but I'm working weird hours...going in early, staying late...and we're having horrible heat, like many places in the US...pop up storms nearly every day...it's just the weirdest summer...

Hope you guys are all doing well. We're halfway through the week...I can almost smell the weekend! :smiley:
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Zaxa2021 wrote: »
    Total loss: 9.7 lbs

Ahhhhh!!! So close to the 10lb mark, but couldn't quite make it. A bit disappointing, but still happy with the progress I did make. I'll get it next week.

Great job, @Zaxa2021! You’ll make the 10lb loss milestone soon. Every bit in the right direction helps no matter how long it takes.

I loved the photos, too! — Perfect motivation for your walks! My sons aren’t twins but they’re close in age at 15 months apart. I remember how much work it took for me to get out the door with them, but they loved playing and exploring the outdoors. It was well worth the ‘packing up’ chaos and a bonus when they came home tired enough for a nice long nap — zen moment for mom! 🧘‍♀️ Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Sbus12 wrote: »
    So here’s a random question— is anyone else shocked at how high calorie pasta is? Somewhere along the way, I thought 1 cup is 200cal. I’m not sure where I got that figure with but that’s what I’ve always gone with. I just weighed my penne yesterday and 2oz was like 20 noodles and that’s 200 cal! Mind blown! 😳🤯

Tracking helped me so much with portion control. I was surprised how many calories were in some of the ‘healthy’ snacks I was eating, like granola and dates. It’s really helpful to see where we might make substitutions. I started eating Greek yogurt or fruit with just a sprinkle of nuts or granola, instead of a whole handful or bowl. For pasta, I mix half regular pasta and half ‘high protein’ pasta, which is more filling. So, it helps me reduce the portion. There are some things I don’t want to substitute because I enjoy them too much, though — In those cases, I try to eat mindfully and enjoy every bite of a small portion.

I haven’t been doing that well with portion control lately so I appreciate your reminder. Earlier this week, I weighed my meals and tracked everything but I broke my momentum yesterday and then went out to dinner tonight so I’ll get back on track for tomorrow. I appreciate the chance to reflect and adjust based on your comment @Sbus12!

What food surprised other ShapeShifter team members once you began tracking and learned about the number of calories? — or maybe there was some other macronutrient breakdown surprise. etc.? Let us know what you learned —
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So here’s a random question— is anyone else shocked at how high calorie pasta is? Somewhere along the way, I thought 1 cup is 200cal. I’m not sure where I got that figure with but that’s what I’ve always gone with. I just weighed my penne yesterday and 2oz was like 20 noodles and that’s 200 cal! Mind blown! 😳🤯

Tracking helped me so much with portion control. I was surprised how many calories were in some of the ‘healthy’ snacks I was eating, like granola and dates. It’s really helpful to see where we might make substitutions. I started eating Greek yogurt or fruit with just a sprinkle of nuts or granola, instead of a whole handful or bowl. For pasta, I mix half regular pasta and half ‘high protein’ pasta, which is more filling. So, it helps me reduce the portion. There are some things I don’t want to substitute because I enjoy them too much, though — In those cases, I try to eat mindfully and enjoy every bite of a small portion.

I haven’t been doing that well with portion control lately so I appreciate your reminder. Earlier this week, I weighed my meals and tracked everything but I broke my momentum yesterday and then went out to dinner tonight so I’ll get back on track for tomorrow. I appreciate the chance to reflect and adjust based on your comment @Sbus12!

What food surprised other ShapeShifter team members once you began tracking and learned about the number of calories? — or maybe there was some other macronutrient breakdown surprise. etc.? Let us know what you learned —

A couple for me. First is I learned to pay attention to serving sizes. A few weeks ago I picked up some specialty cookies for my family. The company had nutrition information online, but I didn't realize the 150-200 calories listed was for 1/4 of the cookie, not half the cookie like I assumed. Of course I didn't realize this until after I ate a full cookie.

Another is that I like to add chia seeds to cereal, overnight oats, etc. to get a little more fiber and protein. Those tiny things have about 50 calories per tablespoon, and quite a bit of fat.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Username: kcpond
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 236.3
    CW: 233.0
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Here’s my weekly weigh-in. My goal is to maintain my weight between 120 and 130 pounds so I’m eager to reach 135 as my next milestone.

Name: PatriceFitnessPal
    Weigh-in Day: Thursday
    PW: 136.1
    CW: 135.7

SW: 168
    LtD: 32.3

I’m 10.7 pounds away from my ultimate goal but it helps me manage expectations by setting up smaller milestone achievements. I’m hoping to reach 135 by August 10th. I hope everyone has a rewarding week!
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cyncia1028 Steps - Goal is 7,000 steps a day

Sun July 16 = 10,347
    Mon July 17 = 6,972 :neutral: almost hit my goal
    Tues July 18 = 6,867 :neutral: almost hit my goal
    Wed July 19 = 5,321 :neutral: under goal. I wasn't wearing my watch for part of the day - I think I still would have been under my goal. I spent my evening prepping my yard for a fence install. Didn't make time for a walk.

My left foot and ankle are healing so I have been trying to take it easy. Keep exercise to bike rides, yoga, or pool.

I'm a big snoozer or I simply sleep through my alarms. What if I put a goal here with the accountability group....

My goal for Friday July 21st is to get out of bed at 6 am and take Hazel for a walk. I will have half of my steps done before I sit down for a day of work.
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    @Cyncia85 and @JenHul - Congratulations on the loss! It must have felt satisfying to ‘take the hill’ @Cyncia85! Breaking even is a win to me, @Armygirlarmyof1. Maintaining definitely feels better than gaining. Keep up the good work!

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation @JenHul. It looks as though your active family play time resulted in multiple positive results!

@Armygirlarmyof1 - Best wishes on the house hunting. I hope you are able to find something soon!

@Sbus12 - It feels so much easier to consume a pound than lose a pound, isn’t it?

@jessicakrall8 - Good idea to give the swelling a little time to go down — I know you drink plenty of water, so that should do the trick. Stay cool 😎!

I flipped in my boat today and took a swim in the river 🌊🚣‍♂️💦. I felt like the misfit rower as I tried to jump back into the boat while the coach and three other scullers waited for me. I hated making them miss part of their workout because it took me longer than usual to get back in the boat! 😅

Everyone was very patient, understanding, and supportive so I appreciated their positive attitudes. The strangest part is that I was rowing better, faster, and stronger than usual but my oar caught a speed zone marker and I lost my balance. I didn’t see it so I guess I’m lucky I didn’t hit it straight on because that could have destroyed the boat and injured me.

Well, at least I got a good workout treading water, turning my boat upright, jumping back in the seat, and rowing back with all that extra water adding weight to the boat as I rowed it along during the trip back to the boathouse dock. We were just about to finish a 10 minute practice piece so I was focused on getting through the fastest last minute when I took my dunk!

Oh well, back in the saddle tomorrow! 🤠. I sent an apologetic message to the group for delaying them and they were all so gracious and supportive. One guy helped me turn the boat over when it got heavy due to extra water, another woman helped me drain the water out, and everyone encouraged me with their ‘flip’ stories, etc. I hope everyone who had a tough day feels the support of your team like I did, so you can get back in the saddle!

You all know my favorite samurai expression now — Fall down seven times get up eight. Onward!!

This is great @PatriceFitnessPal! While I understand how you felt, I also admire your drive to be out there. It sounds like you're part of a great group. I'm sure you would be as supportive or more supportive if someone else took a swim. I went for a bike ride recently with a friend and I was apologizing for being slow. I felt like I was slowing her down. She responded, 'we're in this together." <3

Can you remind me, what exactly are you doing? Is it kayaking? Canoeing? Something different?
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My steps,
    Sorry for the long list @Pupowl & @jessicakrall8
    7/14 15,378
    7/15 15,378
    7/16 4,208 not a typo I was feeling 🤢 all day
    7/17 14,738
    7/18 10,203
    7/19 12,393
    7/20 13,521

• jessicakrall8
    Options
    My steps,
    7/14 15,378
    7/15 15,378

7/17 14,738
    7/18 10,203
    7/19 12,393
    7/20 13,521

Exactly the same??
    Jess
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My steps,
    7/14 15,378
    7/15 15,378

7/17 14,738
    7/18 10,203
    7/19 12,393
    7/20 13,521

Exactly the same??
    Jess

Sorry 7/15 should be 15,405
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Options

for me it was peanut butter. i knew it was quite high in calories, the kind i eat is 90 calories per 15 g or 1 tbsp and the only ingredient is peanuts. what surprised me is what 15 g actually looks like when i use my food scale. prior to doing so i was easily putting maybe 20 gram per slice of bread or bagel, and eating 2 slices.
This discussion has been closed.