Downsizers Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,055 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    We lost our 17 1/2 year old tortise shell calico cat last night ... My daughter and I cried pretty much all night long...I have such a headache... Kylie my 18 year old calico cat isn't doing well .. I think she will be next :'(

I'm so sorry Megan. It's so bloody hard.

Thanks Greg .. It is very hard especially since they grew up with my kids ... My daughter took it very hard... this is her 2nd death that she has witnessed... We lost our German Shepherd when she was in the 7th grade oh man that was so hard to watch my daughter cry so hard
  • whitfcan
    whitfcan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    itladyee wrote: »
    Daily Goals
    - Eating only at Hunger Level 3:
    - Water (Goal 64 oz) :
    - Increased intensity while walking on treadmill:

- THOUGHTS:
    Tuesday was not a good day for me.

We picked up Yoda (my 14 year old Puggle) from boarding Thursday evening. He didn't eat much then but he normally has an adjustment period after coming home. I really didn't pay attention on Friday as I was at work and my husband couldn't recall if he was "different" then.

Saturday - I put down food and took him out and noticed that he had not eaten his food. Unheard of for my dog! But he was drinking water like crazy...so much that I had to take the bowl away. And as you can guess, with all the water came the need to pee, and not always outside. Sunday, it was more of the same. We brough his puppy crate upstairs and started to crate him when we couldn't be right by his side.

Monday - I called the vet but they said they couldn't see him until Tuesday. Monday was the same and Tuesday seemed a bit better but...still not normal.

Long story short.

Yoda was diagnosed with having diabetes complicated by Keto acidosis, which is fatal in dogs.

Options presented:

A. Transfer to 24 hour facility to give him short term acting insulin and then we would need to continue with giving him injections twice a day once he's stabilized.

In 5 to 6 months he's probably be blind. The initial cost $5,000 - not including ongoing cost

B. Do nothing - He would probably die in a couple of days

C. Euthanize him - put him to sleep, today

It was a difficult decision but he was 14 years old and pretty much at his max.

I didn't want him to suffer or die at home.

I chose option C

I told them I would come and get him at 3:00 to spend some time with him and then we would be back at 4.

My husband drove me and I had him stop by McDonalds and got a cheese burger and fries for Yoda. I brought water and his bowl from home.

I wished I had brought more water and a blanket for him.

Went in to get him and when we were going outside, he still remembered to stop for a treat... (that's my Yoda).

We sat outside and he actually ate the people food. He wouldn't eat his food but treats and people food were acceptable!

The tough part - other than watching him be super thirsty and constantly peeing...he still seemed like normal Yoda. It's so much easier (keeping things in context) when they are lethargic and in obvious pain. He clearly was not.

The doctor assured me that in this case, we were making the best decision for Yoda.

So...it happened.

Very sad. The house seems so empty.

Here's a couple of pictures

The first one is one of his last shenanigans a couple of months ago. I was cleaning and through away some close hangers. He went dumpster diving. This is what I was greeting with when I returned from an errand. Scared me and I thought something was really wrong. The second one is one of his puppy pictures.

1lrz1nrthbci.jpg

zkr54tnnpia8.jpg

Step Challenge - Goal 8,500

7/16 2,225
    7/17 7,708
    7/18 8,400
    7/19 7,017
    7/20
    7/21
    7/22

Weigh in Day: Friday
    Starting - 212.7 6/30/2023
    7/7 - 213.7 Vacation start
    7/14 214.0 Vacation End
    7/21
    7/28
    Total

So sorry to read about your loss 😢 I hope that you find peace in the days, weeks, and months to come 🙏. Rest peacely, Yoda!
  • NachDeezy
    NachDeezy Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    whitfcan wrote: »
    @lindamtuck2018

SW: 166 lbs
    PW:161 lbs
    CW: 160 lbs

Very pleased with my progress!☺💫🎊

Heck yeah!!
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    SW: 630
    PW: 534.6
    CW: 534.0

Still eating right with no slip ups.. still not exercising enough. Thankful for the loss😅
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    NachDeezy wrote: »
    SW: 630
    PW: 534.6
    CW: 534.0

Still eating right with no slip ups.. still not exercising enough. Thankful for the loss😅

Great loss again ... You are doing awesome :)
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    Just got back from my Dr appt.. I am no longer type 2 diabetic... I am off all meds ...my a1c was 6.5 ... I say that is an awesome NSV :)

Heck friggin yes!!🎉🎉
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    NachDeezy wrote: »
    Just got back from my Dr appt.. I am no longer type 2 diabetic... I am off all meds ...my a1c was 6.5 ... I say that is an awesome NSV :)

Heck friggin yes!!🎉🎉

Thanks Nacho :)
  • jimboden3
    jimboden3 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Friday (July 21, 2023)
    PW: 238.3
    CW: 240.5

Ugh - I knew last week's loss was too good to be true. We're leaving for vacation in a few hours to the Smoky Mountains - White water rafting on Saturday and then 2 days of hiking in the mountains. As long as I take it easy on the restaurant meals, I should burn off lots of calories!
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Weigh in
    Brandi_84
    Friday
    Pw 188.2
    Cw: 189.1

• fabanddetermined
    fabanddetermined Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fabanddetermined

Pw- 374.4
    Cw- 379.4

Ugh I'm so mad at myself. I promised myself no more sugar and I just didn't stop eating.

However I had a great appointment with a dietician on Wednesday and she gave me some ideas to just start with my eating disorder stuff. I'm on day 2 of planned eating, I have lunch to take to work with me and I have my food planned out for the day.

I wish I could just restart my weight because i feel like I've let the team down with such a high gain...I promise I'll make up for it next week!!

• itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 4,168 Member
    Options
    whitfcan wrote: »

So sorry to read about your loss 😢 I hope that you find peace in the days, weeks, and months to come 🙏. Rest peacely, Yoda!

@whitfcan ~ thank you. It's going to be a tough weekend...
  • itladyee
    Options

Congratulations!!!!
  • itladyee
    Options
    Friday Weigh-In
    PW: 214.0
    CW: 214.6

Daily Goals
    - Eating only at Hunger Level 3:
    - Water (Goal 64 oz) :
    - Increased intensity while walking on treadmill:

- THOUGHTS: Feeling sad...

Step Challenge - Goal 8,500

7/16 2,225
    7/17 7,708
    7/18 8,400
    7/19 7,017
    7/20 7,141
    7/21
    7/22

Weigh in Day: Friday
    Starting - 212.7 6/30/2023
    7/7 - 213.7 Vacation start
    7/14 214.0 Vacation End
    7/21 214.6
    7/28
    Total
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,519 Member
    Options
    @NachDeezy
    Congrats on the loss! Make sure you stay focused even though the scales has slowed down. Trust the process and the scales will follow. You are a wonderful cheerleader for this team and we appreciate you.

@itladyee
    I am sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful dog. Losing a pet is a very hard thing to deal with.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    That is a great NSV. Do you still have to go for diabetic checks? My doctor is still making me go. I want her to at least spread them to once every 6 months.

@jimboden3
    Enjoy your vacation.

@fabanddetermined
    You are not letting the team down. I have binge eating disorder. I did therapy for it but still struggle from time to time. I tend to gain when I struggle. The team has been so supportive during those times. Take it one day at a time. Work on your disordered eating and we are here to support you. Above all else have compassion for yourself. This is the best thing one of my therapist told me.

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,519 Member
    Options
    Steps: 9.060
    Log food: ✔️
    Exercise: 3/4

PW 174.4
    CW 174

It is a miracle I didn’t gain this week. I ate out too much and had pasta twice on Sunday which caused a lot of bloat. My granddaughter has two friends over and I am going to take them to the pool. Ten year old girls are so noisy. I will be glad when they are all picked up but then it will be too quiet. They should all be gone home, including my granddaughter, by 4 pm.

Have a great Friday!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    itladyee wrote: »

Congratulations!!!!

Thank you ... I am over the moon ... just feels odd not taking medication :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @NachDeezy
    Congrats on the loss! Make sure you stay focused even though the scales has slowed down. Trust the process and the scales will follow. You are a wonderful cheerleader for this team and we appreciate you.

@itladyee
    I am sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful dog. Losing a pet is a very hard thing to deal with.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    That is a great NSV. Do you still have to go for diabetic checks? My doctor is still making me go. I want her to at least spread them to once every 6 months.

@jimboden3
    Enjoy your vacation.

@fabanddetermined
    You are not letting the team down. I have binge eating disorder. I did therapy for it but still struggle from time to time. I tend to gain when I struggle. The team has been so supportive during those times. Take it one day at a time. Work on your disordered eating and we are here to support you. Above all else have compassion for yourself. This is the best thing one of my therapist told me.

Thank Linda ... I see him in 3 months but no I do not have to go in for diabetic checks ... I keep a record of my blood pressure and blood sugar daily ...my blood pressure this morning was 124/81 HR 93 ..Blood sugar was 113 (keto and IF has helped me out tremendously for lowering my numbers )

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    @itladyee so sorry for your loss .... I lost my 17 1/2 cat the other day and I think we will be losing my 18 year old cat soon ... she is not eating ... I am giving her water through a syringe
This discussion has been closed.