WaistAways Team Chat - AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,216 Member
    Options
    I am seriously impressed @MaddawgMadsen ! That is some relay race. I can't wait to see how well you will do after a year of training instead of a month :astonished:
  • jugar
    Options
    Next weigh-ins - here you go!
    @cleaneater80
    @adrimango
    @lauren_989
    @MaddawgMadsen

Thanks!
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @YinxFed you and your mom look fantastic! It’s such a great thing to have a wonderful relationship with our moms. That’s always been my main wish for everyone on the planet. I so appreciate my mom and am grateful she’s still here at age 93. It was a blast to spend time with her last week. It wasn’t long enough but work beaconed. Alas, I missed the weigh in but will get back into a better groove of cooking at home and minding my portion sizes.
    We had a wonderful visit with most of the Canadian side of the family and my kids and OH in northern Vermont. It was so nice to spend time in a sunny house with a big table for meal time, etc. Thanks for making the journey, you all! Please pass the word, @jugar. I’ll try to be back online tomorrow and make a plan for the week.
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    PW: 211.6
    CW: 212.0

I guess 2 perfect days doesn't make up for 5 not good ones. I was better this week than last week.

@jugar please excuse me from weighing in next week as I will be on my cruise 😄 I don't know if you want to excuse me the next week too as I'm sure that weigh in won't be pretty.
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    PW 168.2
    CW 170.0

I've been MIA here the last month and I can now take a deep breath with summer almost behind me. I had a fantastic summer. We had a Japanese student stay with us for the month of August, and as much fun as it was, I didn't realize how much work it would be nor how much it would throw my routines off. Now that she is gone, I'm ready to get back into some consistency.
    I did a workout yesterday and today have a long walk planned.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    PW: 182.0
    CW: 183.6 :confounded:

I think I was using muscles I haven't used in a while during the run and/or had some residual travel bloat. I noticed last night at bowling that my ankles were still really swollen. They look fine today, but I could still be adjusting from all the travel and running.
  • adrimango
    adrimango Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    PW: 156.8
    CW: 156.6

I was half expecting a slight gain this week after a couple of straight losses. I have several social meals out this week so I will need to plan accordingly - healthy meals otherwise, water, and movement. Now if I can get my FitBit to sync! I have had several small tech headaches in the last few days. It's great when it works!

• lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a mantra that you say to yourself during your weight loss journey?
  • jugar
    Options
    lauren_989 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a mantra that you say to yourself during your weight loss journey?
    I can't say that I have a single mantra, but when I am in the grocery store, especially if I am hungry or having cravings, I say "NO Means YES" or "Just Say NO" over and over to remind myself that saying no to the things that I will regret eating means saying yes to keeping at a healthy weight and feeling great about it. I have found that a well exercised "no muscle" is essential to weight loss :smiley:
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    PW 173 ?
    CW 174.0

I am my own roller coaster, up, down, up down. but as long as the trajectory stays downward, I will continue to ride it.

I know from past experience, that my key is exercise, and to do the right amount, while not over doing it, cause apparently that causes stress and my body seems to hold onto everything when I stress it out...

So how do I motivate myself to exercise on a regular basis ? I haven't been able to figure it out.
  • jugar
    edited August 2023
    Options
    PW 173 ?
    CW 174.0

I am my own roller coaster, up, down, up down. but as long as the trajectory stays downward, I will continue to ride it.

I know from past experience, that my key is exercise, and to do the right amount, while not over doing it, cause apparently that causes stress and my body seems to hold onto everything when I stress it out...

So how do I motivate myself to exercise on a regular basis ? I haven't been able to figure it out.

Your roller coaster is for very young children this week - 0.2 lb is hardly scaresville! I love that you are still under 175 because I remember that was your first really big goal back when, and there was some awesome reward at the time. You should revisit that reward :wink:

Your point about finding the right exercise groove is a good one. Motivation is optional, but doing something daily sure helps. It doesn't have to be crazy intense, either. I find the daily calendar kind of program keeps me going most the time. I do an online Pilates thing (Lindywell) that just gives you a workout every day and then you do it. They are not long (15-25 minutes usually), but super effective and not hard on the bod. Then I try to stick to nightly stationary bike sessions while watching an episode of something. I have been doing that for a while now, and it has become almost impossible to sit still while watching anything. I do a moderate speed 45 minutes most the time. Or 10 miles if I have been slow and not gotten to that magic number in 45 minutes :smiley: It is habit more than motivation, although sometimes I have to kick my butt to do the Pilates or a strength workout BEFORE it is time to make dinner. I know that when you're working this kind of thing is harder.
  • jugar
    Options
    I played soccer last night, and I'm sore today!
    From age 18 to 30+ I played with a coed team of friends mostly year round, switching from indoor to outdoor as the seasons changed. Then we stopped..people were having kids, and just life... ya know?
    We laughed at practice because we were gassed after an hour.
    I love sport and to be getting exercise in that way is such a treat!!

This is a wonderful thing! Laughing your head off while working your a** off is the perfect combination. A treat indeed!
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @lauren_989 - My mantra is that I tell myself 'my future self will thank me'.
    If it's getting a workout in or not snacking at night so I can get a good sleep, I know I'm doing it for something greater than what I want now.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I twisted my ankle yesterday :'(

Silver linings - this happened after the relay race, not before or during. It happened at work, so if it was worse, I would not be the one paying for it. It is not worse. I can put weight on it, I just don't have much stability. It does hurt and is still swelling, but it could be much worse. I was able to alter my CrossFit workout to fit around the injury.

@lauren_989 - one of my mantras is, "I didn't put weight on overnight, I'm not going to take it off overnight." Another isn't I guess a mantra, but a question I ask myself, especially after a heavier than anticipated weigh-in - how do I feel? So what? I weighed more. Not everything is about weight. Are my clothes fitting better/looser? Was I able to lift more this week than last? Was I able to run farther this week than last? Overall, do I feel better?

@ashleycarole86 - I love that you got out and played soccer! It was my passion until I hyperextended my hip almost exactly 10 years ago. Still a passion, just one I can only watch or coach now. It makes my heart happy hearing about you being able to play and even though you were gassed after just an hour, it was so much fun you were able to laugh your head off. There's nothing better than this.

• jugar
    Options
    @MaddawgMadsen I hope your ankle feels better fast!

Thursday folks - time to line up and submit! Your weights, that is :smiley:
    @ashleycarole86
    @DD265

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,189 Member
    Options
    @MaddawgMadsen
    Oh no - sorry to hear about the ankle! Injuries are just the worst but I'm glad you were still able to modify to enjoy your workout.

Donated blood today so I have a medical reason not to work out hard tonight... LOL
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,068 Member
    Options
    Hi WA's .. You have a returning member joining your awesome team .. Please welcome @leni1us :)
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was good, but didn't sleep well last night, I've had a fairly steady score of mid 80's for my fitbit sleep, so I'm not sure what happened last night. Anyway, I am a little cranky...

Today is my Birthday, the big 52... We will have cake at work, and I've worked it out that I will be able to enjoy a slice and not feel guilty. It's also month end, my busy day.

Have a great day!

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,189 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @Gidgitgoescrzy
    Absolutely - enjoy the cake
    Jealous of your sleep scores.. I got an 82 last night but my 4 week average is 59...
This discussion has been closed.