Suddenly September!

Options
magic71755
magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
edited September 2023 in Social Groups
Now what? No time like the present. Put one foot in front of the other and make it happen. August ended with a great discussion about there is no trying...there is just doing. LET'S DO SEPTEMBER! rally.gif

I'm in!
septboard.gifseptboard.gifseptboard.gif

Replies

• magic71755
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Well, I did lose something in August...

July 28 - 157
    August 2 - 154.2
    Sept 1 - 152.4
    Treadmill Days: 18/31
    Long Lulu Walks: 13/31

Going forward:

Long Lulu Walks Daily, weather permitting.

Treadmill - 3 days a week (days off only...at least for now)
    Today's plan:
    coffee
    coffeebath.gif
    bean and rice burrito
    Ezekiel sand
    apple
    home for Just Egg with spinach, peppers and onions
    Living Life Deliciously! gardensmiley.gif
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    3qtxjbvx7zwn.jpg
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting things started, Nanc, and yay for you having your smileys back! Burrito sounds super yum.

I dd well in August, or at least the second part of it. The first part of the month not so much. Down 7.5 pounds. Now, before anyone gets too congratulatory, that was what I crawled back up over the past few months. I'm hoping for another 8 in September.

I've walked 1.7 miles the past 4 evenings. Not going to do it tonight as I have other stuff to get done around here. Have an aunt and cousins coming to town on Sunday and I need to get the house ready and do some cooking.

B - oats with all the usual goodies (chia/flax, frozen berries and cherries, chopped baby spinach and kale, cinnamon, a few walnut halves, water)
    L - salad topped with the rest of the steamer bag veggies and cannellini beans from yesterday, "dressing" of balsamic and brown mustard
    D - more salad topped with artichokes, grape tomatoes, grapes, mushrooms, pumpkin seeds, dressing of bragg's and dijon (I used Austin's tip of nuking a couple mushrooms in a cup of water)

• Mihani
    Options
    Mornin' all... got up and started laundry and now working on my old laptop. I got the new one a couple months ago but hadn't got around to copying all my old stuff to an external to move over. Fired up the old laptop and am reminded why I hated it and needed the new one. It is really old and SO slow. It is going to take a loooong time to copy everything. It took almost 20 minutes just to boot up!

Getting ready to eat my big bowl of oats for breakfast, then I'll get on cleaning the house so I'm ready for company tomorrow. It's not bad I just need to dust and do a quick mop of the floors, give the bathrooms a once-over. Hoping to have all the cooking and cleaning done by early afternoon and then I can spend the rest of the day working since I'm taking tomorrow completely off and going to try not to even think about work. Just enjoy my company.

I'll get in a walk today too. Loving this weather lately.

Plan for today is a big ol' salad for lunch, and I'm making a big batch of greens, beans, mushrooms and onions for dinner and will have leftovers for a few days. Also making roasted broccoli and mini-peppers to add to salads again.

Ugh, now I'm getting errors on the old laptop. Off to deal with that!

Hope y'all have a great day.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    l7trm0sptj3w.jpg
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    August ended with a "bang" for me. :s

On Tuesday we went to one of my favorite spots from when I was a child. It is a pond with hiking trails. I have not taken my daughter there since she was a baby. We decided it was a gorgeous day, not warm enough for swimming, but perfect to go on a family hike. My daughter loved it! We ended up seeing 9 rabbits, 4 deer - one buck and 3 fawns, 2 cormorant, 11 aquatic turtles and 1 snapping turtle. We also found in the community garden they had honey bee hives that anyone could sponsor if interested. When we were walking over the bridge we saw the turtles and a cormorant resting on logs. Two ladies were next to us and looked over the bridge. They commented that there was a snapper in the water and asked if we saw it, then shared that they named her Bridgette. LOL My husband could see it but I could not. (He's over 6 feet tall and I am a tad over 5 feet) I decided to superman my body onto the stone wall of the bridge which has the width of a kitchen table. I When I did I felt a "pop pop pop" in my right side of my ribs followed by intense pain. I quickly got down and said "I think I just broke my ribs." I had a dentist appointment in 45-50 minutes to repair a broken filling. I had been waiting 2 weeks for this appointment and did not want to cancel. I opted to not go to the doctor to get my ribs checked out and go to my dentist appointment. The next morning I woke up feeling fairly well. Some tenderness that I did not need to take any meds for. It was no way near the pain that I had felt the day before. I was okay as long as I didn't make any sudden movements. I again opted not to go to the doctor. Since exercise is not an option with an injury we decided to go into town and walk around. The following day I felt really great. We tried out a new hiking trail which was AMAZING. I came home and felt wonderful. Well, yesterday I woke and was very tender. It was uncomfortable to sit, it was uncomfortable to stand. Again not enough pain to make me take any meds or feel like I need to go to the doctor. I spent the day resting. Today I feel pretty good, some discomfort here and there (more like a bad bruise) but nothing I can't handle. My plan is to take it easy today and let my body heal.

I don't know if I shared in this group or another that I had a goal of meeting 100 days of 10K steps on Fitbit. I was close to 80 days. When my injury happened I was really bummed that this threw off my ability to exercise. Hence why we started walking around town and discovering new places to hike. Even with an injury I hit my 10K steps each day! YIPPIE!!!! Well that was until I logged into Fitbit to see how many more days I had to go. To my surprise it told me I was on day 4 of my streak. WHAT?!!!!! I had to scroll back and see what day it missed because I know I have been hitting 10K every day. Well, Sunday, the day I did yard work all day it only logged me at 9,985 steps for the day. I am fairly certain I remember hitting my 10K for the day. (grrrrr) So for now I have put my goal on making my 100 days of 10K steps on the back burner until I am 100% back to myself.

Due to my injury I have not set any goals for myself for September. I will continue to weigh and log my food. I have to figure out what I can do for exercise in the mean time. I know I can handle walking which has been great for me so far. But I need to figure out something to do on the days it is raining and I cannot get outside to walk. I don't have a treadmill to walk in the house and walking in place or doing laps around my house gets incredibly boring. But to be a Suzie sunshine... my heel has had plenty of time to rest and I am having zero heel pain. Though I do feel incredibly lazy with all the sitting that I have been doing. Maybe this was a sign telling me I need to slow down and take time to rest.

On Facebook I follow a lot of plant-based and vegan groups. In the groups many people recommend Plant You for recipes. I follow her on Instagram but have not made anything yet. Last night I decided to make her Lentil Quinoa Salad and it was quite tasty. Both my daughter and husband liked it a lot too.
    https://plantyou.com/lentil-quinoa-salad/

• JNettie73
    Options
    This was the park where I injured myself. In one of the pictures you can see the bridge that I am talking about. Despite the injury it was a great day!

o25dqqn8jd4g.jpeg
    f3bxq2co6fo8.jpeg
    yveylpopokyk.jpeg
  • JNettie73
    Options
    These pics were from our walk around town the following day. This sign outside one of the shops spoke to me. I looked at my husband and said “I am living proof of this!”

xmwgmsnvefcw.jpeg
    7bu3w8jfbtch.jpeg
  • JNettie73
    Options
    This was the new park we found. We walked on the bluff first before making our way down to the beach. My daughter is becoming quite the adventurist. She found deer prints on the bike and excitedly pointed them out to us. I’ve tried taking her hiking in the past but she always complained about it. I love that she is finally starting to enjoy it more.

4j0dvg3x1nkk.jpeg
    l9ejgczg1jbj.jpeg
    rmrjtvs9looy.jpeg
    bslc2opaor0v.jpeg
    5drsj0juc3km.jpeg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Wow, JNettie, that sounds painful. Glad it seems to be healing. Great pics! You have some beautiful places to walk.

I am up early and having a cup of coffee before I get busy. I didn't do a lot yesterday. Had an awful headache and it was really hard to keep moving. Feel better this morning so now I have to finish straightening up the house before I get on cooking.

Fortunately, the house is in pretty good shape so it won't take long to finish cleaning.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Morning all! lovecoffee.gif

Enjoy your company, @Mihani ... glad the headache is gone.

@Nettie...ouch. Sounds like the rib injury is healing...good thing you went to the dentist. Now, smooth sailing for the rest of the month.
    morningteasmileyf.gifEnjoying Sunday morning coffee...loved yesterday...absolutely flippin loved it. Felt normal...home on a Saturday, with my girl. One trip to the mall...wanted to see if I could find something Halloween from Yankee Candle. Wanted a big vase to put the candles in. The sweet salesgirl found a 40% off for me...so I was happy with my purchase. It put an exclamation point on the day.
    I am going to try some very easy, brothy veggie soup for breakfast today.
    Lunch will be Ezekiel sand.
    sushi salad for dinner
    apple with PB2 for dessert xother_teachappl.gif

LIving life deeeeeeeeeeee liciously!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    99gi1dcs22ct.jpg
  • magic71755
    Options
    labordaysmile.gif

Going to try this for the next several days...

oats and stuff for breakfast
    lavash wrap for lunch
    brothy, veggie soup for dinner
    apple and PB2 for dessert.

Fell right asleep at 8 last night...slept for 4 1/2 hours...just woke up...decided to soak some almonds to make almond milk for my oats.

Yesterday Kitchen, Living Room and Dining room were cleaned and steam mopped. Today, laundry and tidy up bedroom.

Couple games of backgammon online and then back to bed.

• Mihani
    Options
    Mornin' all... yesterday was so nice. Enjoyed the visit with relatives very much. Also enjoyed taking two days off and trying not to think about work. I am going to run down to the office early just for a few to check on a couple things before tomorrow, then home to work the rest of the day. I don't have much else I need to do other than make a big skillet of greens and beans with onions and mushrooms for the week.

My brother had picked up carryout BBQ for everyone which they all seemed to enjoy. I made a big pot of mexican rice for myself and to share although only one other person tried it. They had a lot of food to eat though. I also did a salad bar and everyone ate some salad.

I used this recipe: https://www.myplantifulcooking.com/easy-vegan-rice-and-black-beans/ and left out the oil. It was okay not enough seasoning for me. I cut up a few slices of jarred jalapenos and mixed into my serving with a big dollop of salsa and it was much better. I think next time I'd add one or two diced jalapenos at the beginning with the other ingredients. I also added about a cup of thawed frozen corn when I threw in the beans. I did like the cooking method with the rice infused with flavor and easy all one pot, so I'd consider it a keeper with some tweaks. The recipe notes say you can use a couple cups of salsa in place of the diced tomatoes and that may make this recipe perfect so I'll try that next time. Also makes a LOT so I'm glad the recipe says it freezes well. I'll divide a bunch of it up into serving sizes and freeze tonight.

Had half a cupcake and a cookie that my SIL got from a local vegan bakery. They were delicious and my first off plan thing in two weeks. Everyone loved the desserts and couldn't believe they were vegan. We discovered this place years ago and their stuff is amazing, but they use a lot of oil and vegan butter so it's definitely a special occasion only thing. I am not that into sweets and don't crave them so I don't think it will derail me. It's the salty snacky, bread/flour and daiya cheese that I need to stay away from.

Plan for today...
    B - cantaloupe and blueberries sprinkled with a little oats, chia/flax and a few walnut halves, cinnamon and cardamom
    L - leftover rice with cooked greens and beans (going to make the greens and beans with black beans and mexican seasonings to complement the rice)
    D - big ol' salad

Glad you are enjoying your weekend and your new work schedule, Nanc. It sounds great! What did you put in your soup?
  • magic71755
    Options
    The beans and rice sounds delish, @Mihani. I must give it a try when I make fresh beans. Sounds like a great time was had by all. Loved that you took time for yourself. You need to do that more.

My soup is going to be so simple...vegan chicken cubes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, beans, spinach, asparagus and the noodles will be Lotus rice ramen. Very simple. Chelsea Mae, vegan youtuber, made her soup the other day, and now I must make my own version. Beans...gotta have beans.

Hope everyone has a great day. grouphugg.gif Do make it deeeeeeeeeeeelicious! hi5.gif
  • Marilynsretired
    edited September 2023
    Options

ak6696wy6dhb.jpg
  • magic71755
    Options
    morningcow.gif

changing up my menu again ... I am all over the place...didn't do so great yesterday...not horrible...but certainly not how I intended the day to go... (the soup never happened) -sigh-

today

coffee
    oats and stuff
    Ezekiel sandwich
    apple and pb2
    just egg liquid, loads of spinach and a dusting of parm
    making life a little too deeeeeeeee pinksmileyf.gif LICIOUS!
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    f86vjilr8bfj.jpg
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. Glad you all had a wonderful weekend.

JNettie - Beautiful pictures! I think that is great your daughter is enjoying the outdoors. Sorry about the rib.

Magic - you are doing so well with your weight loss. I love backgammon.

Mihani - the desserts sound delicious. That was thoughtful of your SIL.

Carla - I was wondering if it is still warm? When do the leaves start to change?

We had a quiet weekend. Brooks' bd was Sunday and we went out to dinner at a new Italian restaurant at the SA- Museum of Art. It was delicious. Brooks was given a free glass of Italian wine. I had mushroom risotto as other than fish nothing else was gluten free.

August started out with a big drop in weight and then I was up and down 2-3 lbs all month despite giving up sugar, less cheese, hiking and swimming. Interestingly I lost a pant size! Then Sept 1 and scales are going down. 2.8 lbs and I will be down 60 lbs! My eating disorder therapist kept me very positive through the plateau. She said that during plateaus, if you know you are doing everything right: healthy eating and exercising....you are still losing/burning fat and it is replaced by water that is needed to metabolize the fat....so, this will seem counter intuitive but she had me increase fluid intake last week. The biggest thing she said is not to get frustrated by numbers not changing and go off plan. I really needed to hear that. The military exchange had a big sale starting Friday and Brooks bought me a couple of pants I wanted. They are the brand Kuhl. They didn't have my current size (16) but did have 14s and I thought it might give me incentive to keep on plan. He made me try them on and they fit! I was surprised. They don't have bigger than size 16 so it had only been recently that I could wear these pants. They are hiking pants look like linen. NSV!

Brooks has a lot of use or lose leave from the military that we need to use up before he retires. When we were in Japan we were not allowed to travel due to Covid. We had planned on going to Thailand, New Zealand and Vietnam while we were there. Well, due to covid and his cancer it didn't happen. This year we joined Going.com for $200.00 and they have amazing travel deals. You have to be somewhat flexible. Anyways, we bought RT tickets to Naples, Italy to go see my friend who returned to Italy after an ugly divorce. She lives in Formia...a costal town that is beautiful. Tickets were $545 R/T/. Then in May we are going to Helsinki, Finland!!! Lots of hiking, saunas and sightseeing. Those tickets were $504 R/T. I have a lot of research to do for both trips.

• Mihani
    Options
    Nanc, did you get your soup made? Love seeing your cute smileys again.

Donna, those trips sound awesome! And yay for new pants in size 14!

I am doing well sticking to plan this week although I haven't been out for walks in a couple days because the weather got hot and muggy again, and I'm still struggling with the headaches. I need to hit the treadmill tonight since I am feeling a little better.

I turned the rice and greens/veggies into tacos for dinner last two evenings and they are SO good topped with salsa and avocado.