What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,118 Member
    Options
    @henridw2095 Of course you do :D
  • Wiseinwellness
    Wiseinwellness Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    @Wiseinwellness How about a springy green soup for an Easter appetizer? This is one of my favorite dishes ever, and would go well with your Middle Eastern theme. It lasts well in the fridge, so you can make it ahead of time; and it tastes equally good hot, cold, or at room temperature. It's also quite liquid, so you could just put it in a cup for the uncoordinated free feeder ;)

r1pidmf1zxxp.png

Thank you for that suggestion @takinitalloff ! I will put it on the menu! Didn’t even think about the colour of our food but why am I not surprised that you did 😂

Super thoughtful to gift me the recipe, though I do happen to have that subscription. Thank you thank you.
  • takinitalloff
    edited March 30
    Options
    Didn’t even think about the colour of our food but why am I not surprised that you did 😂
    Because I overthink everything :p but on occasions like this one, that trait sure comes in handy o:) I hope the soup is a success. I like to make a big pot of it for those disgustingly hot summer days, and just drink cold soup for days on end haha. Now I've actually inspired myself to make some more soon (to be consumed hot/warm, though). 😋

P.S. I just changed "uncoordinated free feeder" to "poorly coordinated free feeder," btw. I love how you put that, haha.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have a great vegan dessert that can be eaten with the hand 7ef6agbbdz14.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    This one is also a favorite (I make the version with the egg but there is a vegan alternative)
    We ended up calling this cake « le gâteau de Jean » because each each time those friends come home he asks if I can make it for him 😉

98nfopnvrqbd.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    I have a lot of kale in the garden and it starts to grow into flowers so I need to eat it. I think I will try your receipt @takinitalloff
  • Wiseinwellness
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    I have a great vegan dessert that can be eaten with the hand 7ef6agbbdz14.jpg

Fantastic, I will try this. Hard to imagine it has an avocado in it too!!!
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 31
    Options
    Double posting from the UAC…but it really belongs here:

4x9y7ogkv537.jpeg
    I made the Rancho Gordo chickpeas into a dry chickpea masala (soaked for 8 hours, 17 min in instant pot with manual release, cooked with a bit of oil, cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, ground cumin, coriander, tumeric, chili, amchur (mango powder) and salt.) Old recipe, but always delicious. The chickpeas were very nice, as expected.

I also made jackfruit in a balti sauce. Balti sauce is an Indian flavored sauce that originated in Britain. It’s a complex flavor and delicious (onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, spices include chili, nigella, coriander, garam masala, fenugreek, cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, smoked paprika, Indian red chile powder, and salt). This was my first time trying it and it will need a little fine tuning, but was already very nice. I didn’t take a picture so here’s the cookbook one.
    d6ulof1dz4dw.jpeg

learning to love the instant pot. most of the time, it’s just familiarity…I used to find it clunky and hated cleaning it or using it to sauté, but now it’s getting more natural. The balti sauce is blended raw and then sautéed in the IP, before adding tomato, peppers, jackfruit and cooking under pressure. I really enjoy the texture of jackfruit (used canned).
  • Trillium54
    Trillium54 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not a very appetizing picture, but here's breakfast. A bowl of butternut squash soup. Easy-peasy with frozen squash cubes. Throw some diced onion in a pot with olive oil. Add a half to one whole apple diced finely and cook until soft. Add the squash cubes. Add veg broth to the consistency you'd like. Cook until everything is holding hands in the pot and singing kumbaya. Then whizz in the blender. I put it back on the stove to simmer for a few minutes and that's it. The black specs you see is a pinch of Italian seasoning.
    lq0o8lmd14v6.png

@henridw2095 : Those chickpeas look fantastic!
  • Maya440
    Options
    Soup for breakfast is great, I should do this more often !!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Miso is a traditional breakfast for some. I think it's a good one!
  • henridw2095
    edited April 2
    Options
    @mtaratoot thanks for the miso soup reminder. I used to make it often (with tofu, spinach, mushrooms, and green onions) and will stock up on the ingredients to make one soon.

I made ginger tumeric cashew milk this morning. Essentially soaked 3/4 cup cashews with one inch each peeled and sliced ginger and tumeric root, one medjool date, over night in a 32 oz jar filled with water (in the fridge). Blended this morning and enjoyed with home made müsli (oats, hemp, chia, walnuts, dates, cinnamon) and fruit. I think it turned our really nicely (although low in protein compared to soy milk). The ginger tastes very fresh and personally I enjoy the taste of fresh tumeric, which is more subtle. The original recipe called for three dates (it’s from „Rise &Run“ by Flanagan and Kopecky), but I‘m not a fan of sweet flavors, so I reduced it and loved the outcome. Just set up a batch overnight protein oats using 1:1 cashew and soy milk….

The Kale in the background ended up being sautéed with garlic for dinner.

uxclbfedfktv.jpeg
  • Maya440
    edited April 2
    Options
    Just made a batch of soup (mix of veggies waiting for me in the fridge) and 2 portions of savory oats (kale and mushrooms) for the next days.
    Proud !
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Mayay440 nice! Was this the recipe @takinitalloff posted?

I threw together an emergency lunch and after workout snack this morning (fell short in planning this week). Roasted sweet potatoes from yesterday, streamed broccoli and chickpeas (cooked yesterday) tossed with sautéed garlic and (later) a tahini lemon sauce (left). Snack is my pumpkin seed spelt bread with hummus (made this morning from the same batch of chickpeas), pepper and apple.

stuq7jhb7vm1.jpeg
  • Maya440
    Options
    @Mayay440 nice! Was this the recipe @takinitalloff posted?

Sort of. Without the egg and oil and replacing parmesan by nutritional yeast.
    It is definitely that post that got me inspired to make some savory oats 😍
  • takinitalloff
    edited April 3
    Options
    @Maya440 I actually prefer it without the egg, too. I ate it with the egg the first time, but left it off for my subsequent portions. (To be fair, I boiled the egg rather than frying it, so I can't judge the recipe for that.) Oh and now that you mention the parmesan, I realize that I totally forgot to add that at the end, hahaha... I accidentally made it a vegan meal.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    @Wiseinwellness Did you end up making the green soup for Easter?
  • Wiseinwellness
    Options
    @Wiseinwellness Did you end up making the green soup for Easter?

No, my hubby got sick with a cold and his daughter is very paranoid, so we have kept all our dinner ingredients for this coming Sunday to make it then. In the meantime I got a great free high chair for the baby and can’t wait for her to give it a try. It pulls right up to our table with the tray so she can eat with us. I couldn’t believe how well it fit, and then it collapses into a cubby my hubby built years ago.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    oh no @Wiseinwellness I hope he feels better soon and that it doesn’t spread…
  • Trillium54
    Trillium54 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 5
    Options
    @Wiseinwellness : Hope your husband feels better soon!
    @Maya440 : Soup sounds so good right now! I'll have to make some more, lol.

Made these blueberry bars today. I had some blueberries near the end of their cycle and a few strawberries, too. They married up very well. I used butter but coconut oil could be used to make dairy-free. It has an oat base. 100 calories and 6 gms sugar.

emvsvdsu3p78.png