2/25: 8,849
    2/26: 6,532
    2/27: 10,901
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi team!

I’d like some advice, please.

What do you do when bloating/water retention in your midsection won’t go down. I gained like 5 lbs in the past week despite working and eating well.

My only "cheat" meal was last Friday, I had a thin crust veggie pizza.

This issue got worse after having coconut split pea soup over a couple days (ate leftovers over a few days).

Any advice is appreciated 💕
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited February 29
    Options
    @tatilove1988 I personally don't have experience with not being able to get rid of water weight. I am currently up almost 5 pounds after two days of overeating. Today I will keep my calories low, drink a lot of tea (I already do that every day) and get my steps in which should already mean losing half of the weight tomorrow. It is possible your body just needs some more time. Maybe this article will help. https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a41830849/how-to-get-rid-of-water-weight/
    Edit: workouts with heavy weights may initially make the water weight worse because you damage your muscles. If you are really worried about it, going for a walk instead might also help.
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Wednesday ~ Feb 28
    Good morning Shape Shifters. I enjoyed my walk in the morning. The weather looked bad and the first 10 minutes it felt like I was walking in a cloud. It wasn't raining, but I got wet anyway. It wasn't too bad though. I was feeling pretty good and the walk felt easy, so I explored another little forest trail and made the walk a bit longer. It was really nice! I did my gym rings in the afternoon which was also nice. I finished the rest of the wraps so my food was very high again. In the evening I went to the store for some apples, bananas and mueslibars. The next few days I am going to keep my calories really low. I felt so bloated and disgusting again after dinner that I am just craving light and healthy stuff at this point!
    :star: long walk, good sleep, gym rings workout :star:
    :heartbreak: pileees of food :heartbreak:
    Happy Thursday everyone <3
    z15r4yrjkwzb.jpg
    5i309bfudyzb.jpg
    sgwk3r6ulmki.jpg
    d0hn05boj6f3.jpg
  • Pupowl
    Options
    The daily card:
    jway76zjneca.jpg
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 535 Member
    edited February 29
    Options
    @izzyred9400 great job!!
    @tatilove1988 are you maybe lacking fibre, or did you suddenly increased your fibre? My daughter gets a super bloated midsection when she makes big changes to her fibre intake. Either way lots of water usually helps her.
    *beans can also be very gassy causing bloating.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options

Here’s my weekly weigh-in report:

Name: PatriceMyFitnessPal
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 142.0
    CW: 143.1

SW: 168
    Ltd: 24.9

Last week, my scale weight was down 1.2 pounds and this week it’s up 1.1 pounds so at least my downward trajectory is going in the right direction. If I keep going this way, I should reach my goal weight — in about two and a half year! 😂🤣😂 Still, I’ll take it, since it’s better than the alternative!

I hope everyone is having a good week. Best wishes, Shape Shifters!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Congratulations @izzyred9400! That’s quite an accomplishment! 🤩

@tatilove1988 — I don’t have any advice to add to what @Pupowl and @CasandraW offered. I thought the article was very informative so thanks for posting it @Pupowl! Usually, if I experience bloating, it’s due to excess salt. So, I try to drink more water to flush out the salt. I agree that exercise can help to feel better, if I can motivate myself to get moving, and I really hadn’t made the connection about sweating out the salt. That was useful for me to think about, and I liked the tips about eating cucumber or other natural products to speed up the recovery. I’ll have to try that remedy next time I feel bloated. Thanks for the question and responses from our team!

• PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @Pupowl - I enjoyed the imagery of walking in a cloud. I know that type of rain and could feel the wet but somehow refreshing experience you were describing 😊

Last week, I started to post a similar response to the story you shared about the bird, but I never finished my ‘draft’ so I’ll just add it here now —

@Pupowl - I could really visualize that little blue tit bird trying to escape the sparrow hawk 😱 from the story you shared last week. I usually find myself rooting for the underdog, and the blue tit birds are so cute, but you’re right. They have to eat to survive, too, so the birds of prey are going to prey. Nature can be so awe-inspiring and humbling. Thanks for sharing your stories and for reminding me how good it feels to step outside a little each day, regardless of the weather. The negative ions really boost my energy level (and serotonin levels, I think) 🤔 so I’d like to build more nature walks into my schedule. I’m still a little sad about that tiny bird but I appreciate the inspiration!
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    CasandraW wrote: »
    @izzyred9400 great job!!
    @tatilove1988 are you maybe lacking fibre, or did you suddenly increased your fibre? My daughter gets a super bloated midsection when she makes big changes to her fibre intake. Either way lots of water usually helps her.
    *beans can also be very gassy causing bloating.

Thank you so much for your answer. Yes, there has been a sudden increase in my fibre intake. I’ve been consuming a daily green smoothie since last week and added more legumes to my diet. I knew the legumes might cause this, but I didn’t think of all the extra fibre from the fruits and veggies in the smoothies 🤔

It’s a uncomfortable (I kinda look pregnant lol) but the added fibre is good so I’ll stick it out until my body adjusts.

I’m also breastfeeding and my hormones are all over the place, so that probably doesn’t help either lol

Thank you, you’ve helped me solve a mystery 🙏
  • tatilove1988
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    @tatilove1988 I personally don't have experience with not being able to get rid of water weight. I am currently up almost 5 pounds after two days of overeating. Today I will keep my calories low, drink a lot of tea (I already do that every day) and get my steps in which should already mean losing half of the weight tomorrow. It is possible your body just needs some more time. Maybe this article will help. https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a41830849/how-to-get-rid-of-water-weight/
    Edit: workouts with heavy weights may initially make the water weight worse because you damage your muscles. If you are really worried about it, going for a walk instead might also help.

This article was very insightful. Thank you for sharing it. I don’t overeat, but realized that I just increased my fibre intake (by a lot!) and might be what is causing this.
    I’m planning on drinking more water, lower sodium and increase potassium as suggested in the article to help bring down this pregnant looking belly lol

• FWSWCindy
    FWSWCindy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    FWSWCindy
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    PW (Previous Weight): 195
    CW (Current Weight): 195.3
  • FWSWCindy
    Options
    FWSWCindy
    Week 3 Step Goal: 10,000 a day average for the week
    Sunday – 10,750
    Monday – 10,975
    Tuesday -10,926
    Wednesday – 10,264
    Thursday – 16,266 Wooohoooo
    Friday – 8352
    Saturday – 10931
    Weekly total = 78464
    Weekly 3 Daily average = 11,209
  • FWSWCindy
    Options
    FWSWCindy
    Week 4 Step Goal: 10,000 a day average for the week
    Sunday – 9324
    Monday – 10,692
    Tuesday – 11,107
    Wednesday – 8144
    Thursday –
    Friday –
    Saturday –
    Weekly total =
    Weekly 3 Daily average =
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    kcpond

Thursday Weigh In
    PW: 238.3
    CW: 238.0
  • FWSWCindy
    Options
    Do we have to sign up for March?
  • Pupowl
    Options
    @FWSWCindy Membership for the Shape Shifters group carries over every month! So you will be with us until you tell us you want to leave. The step challenge we run does not carry over, so you have to let us know you want to join again. That is in case people want to adjust their stepgoal or take a break from it.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,806 Member
    Options
    Hi SS ... You have a new member joining your amazing team .. Please welcome @melissataylor1986 :)
This discussion has been closed.