General Chat Thread - Please Participate

Options
AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
I'm going to try starting a general chat thread here. Let's keep it focused on things that may be useful or interesting (not replicating the idle "Chit Chat" or "Fun and Games" kind of thing). The forum software isn't very good at notifying group members when there's a new thread, but does notify when someone posts on a thread we've created or replied on, or have bookmarked. Please reply to or bookmark this one? (Bookmark = click on the little ribbon-looking thing to the right of the thread title.)

Things to talk about, to start:

* What are your goals for weight management, fitness, nutrition? How's it going?
* Are you following a particular eating style? What is it, is it new to you, and how's it going?
* What's your favorite exercise activity or hobby? Do you have photos? Post them.
* What do you think is special about being 50+, when it comes to weight loss or fitness? If there have been roadblocks you got past, how have you circumvented them?
* What's your current challenge or obstacle?

. . . or anything else, really.

Replies

• Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I'm about 3 months in or so being back on site. Hard to belive almost 53 ugh.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,272 Member
    Options
    I'll play!

My fitness goals are to maintain and improve my strength to support my health if I should be so fortunate to grow old, to improve my cardiovascular fitness for the same reason, and to keep doing my active hobbies. Maybe take on some more.

My weight management goals are pretty much to keep from gaining again.

Hobby? Yeah. More on those later. Cooking? Love it. Hiking? Yeah. Rivers? That's the closest thing I have to a church. Actually it IS a church.

I'll share a challenge. I love cooking like I wrote above. I also like eating. You can see why this is a challenge. In fact, I'm going to go make some vegetable miso mushroom barley soup right now that I've been thinking about making for over a week and finally got some barley. I use "streaker" barley. It's a hull-less variety developed at Oregon State University in the '70s. It is humorously called "Streaker" not totally because it's naked (no hull) and that was a popular hobby around here back then, but mostly because the grains have blue streaks on 'em.
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    Love to cook. It's a hobby also a golfer
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I need to look for that barley. While I'm already in maintenance, I'm intrigued by the recent finding that some foods naturally increase GLP-1 (the "magic" in drugs like Ozempic and Wegovy, loosely), thus can tamp down appetite. Barley is apparently one of those foods.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/10/30/1208883691/diet-ozempic-wegovy-weight-loss-fiber-glp-1-diabetes-barley

Pearled barley is OK, but I'm irrationally drawn to less processed foods . . . :D
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, ovo-lacto. I've been vegetarian for 50 years come Summer 2024, since I was 18. I was a thin vegetarian (in college), then a chubby vegetarian (desk job), then an overweight/obese vegetarian (for around 30 years), then a thin vegetarian again. It makes me eye-roll a little when people think turning vegan/vegetarian will automagically trigger weight loss.

It sort of can, I think . . . if people have been eating a highly-processed, highly-refined, not very sating totality of foods, then switch to lots of veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Those things are more filling for most people. It's not the vegetarianism or veganism doing the trick, though, if you ask me. I find it plenty easy to eat those same foods waaaay past reasonable calories.

I think the "healthiest" diet is probably a somewhat meat-sparse omnivorous diet. Fight me. :)

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Rxman1971 wrote: »
    Love to cook. It's a hobby also a golfer

What do you like to cook, @Rxman1971?

I've been quite lazy in the kitchen lately, but like experimenting with new-to-me fruits and veggies, or exploring flavor profiles from cultural foodways other than my own.

Weird combinations intrigue me. In the past I've made things like garlic custard (good); sweet potato slices dipped in egg then instant mashed potato flakes (really) then baked and dipped in soy/ginger sauce (surprisingly good), just because I couldn't resist the oddness.

I made fun of my late husband for putting chopped-up dill pickles in bean soup, mean girl that I am . . . but I had to eat metaphorical crow with the soup because it was really good.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 9
    Options
    Exercise: On-water rowing, cycling. In Winter, machine versions of those - less fun. Lift a little, don't enjoy it, procrastinate and skip it with the slightest excuse. My bad.

This is me and my rowing buddy J. in a double (me in yellow, in the bow). At that point, I was 62 and she was 72. I'm now 68, she's 77, both still rowing. I started rowing when I was still class 1 obese, in my late 40s. I stayed obese for another dozen years, until I joined MFP at age 59.

mirjir29saho.jpg
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    Really anything like trying new things. Need to adapt my cooking to healthier though
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 9
    Options
    This is me tagging some recent and/or longtime posters in this group, to see if they want to chime in, see if we can get some activity going in this group. If not, no harm, no foul.

@ddickson10131
    @UncleMac
    @stellagizzi
    @Farback
    @mom2muses
    @Mia_Vojago
    @wambli1
    @b3achy
    @CrazyMermaid1
    @d_thomas02

Who am I forgetting?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Really anything like trying new things. Need to adapt my cooking to healthier though

When I first started, I was surprised how little oil I really needed to use (typically in my well-seasoned cast-iron pan) to fry foods.
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

When I first started, I was surprised how little oil I really needed to use (typically in my well-seasoned cast-iron pan) to fry foods.

Love cooking with cast iron. So much flavor
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,931 Member
    edited February 9
    Options
    I love my cast iron (various configurations). I've got frying pans, loaf pans for bread and recently got a tagine with a cast iron base. Tagines are a domed stewing pot generally believed to have originated in Morocco. My wife's first tagine was enameled ceramic but recently the pot cracked. She was kinda heartbroken... so I quietly ordered a cast iron based model. She's tickled pink with it.

71fpUq2ErfL._AC_SX679_.jpg
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I love my cast iron (various configurations). I've got frying pans, loaf pans for bread and recently got a tagine with a cast iron base. Tagines are a domed stewing pot generally believed to have originated in Morocco. My wife's first tagine was enameled ceramic but recently the pot cracked. She was kinda heartbroken... so I quietly ordered a cast iron based model. She's tickled pink with it.

Cool have to look at one
  • mtaratoot
    edited February 9
    Options
    I took out my enameled cast iron Dutch Oven to make soup, but soon realized the amount I'm making would have been too big. I got out the bigger pan that I don't like as much, and I'm going to have so much soup.... I've never quite made a soup like this before. I saute vegetables before adding water. I just added the potatoes because I don't want them to cook as long. Other ingredients include:
    • Onion
    • Parsnip
    • Gold beet
    • Mushrooms (lots and lots of mushrooms)
    • Broccoli
    • Sunchoke
    • Carrot
    • Jalapeno
    • Red potato
    • Streaker barley
    • Lots and lots and lots of garlic
    • Two kinds of miso
    • Herbs including Mediterranean oregano and rubbed sage
    • Obligatory bay leaves from the front yard - this time eleven because it's a lot of soup. I'm going to have to dole some out to weigh it separately because the main pot is too big for my scale!

I revised an old recipe. I set some ingredients I didn't use to 1 gram of each as place holders, and I added ingredients that were new. I had to put some into a separate pot to get a total weight of the batch - 4017 grams. The pot has a tare weight of 1944 grams, so that would have been 5961 grams (over 13 pounds). The scale tops out at 11 pounds (5000 grams). That's some heavy soup.... I set the number of servings in the recipe equal to the number of grams so that when I eat it, it's easy to measure how much I'm eating with my scale.

• AnnPT77
    edited February 9
    Options
    That sounds really good, @mtaratoot!

I had a lazy dinner: A little (3g) oil in the cast-iron frying pan, some chopped-up onion, some (frozen) root veggie hash browns, a couple of eggs, some lite Jarlsberg and a ridiculous amount of ketchup.

I love ketchup. Ketchup seems to be demonized around here sometimes (hidden sugarzzz!!! (that are listed right on the label)). I found an unsweetened brand I like: The amount of sugar in regular ketchup is pretty trivial IMO, but I feel like they have to use better tomatoes in the unsweetened to get good flavor. Maybe I deceive myself . . . .
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    Love garlic hardly ever enough
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Love garlic hardly ever enough

What are YOUR goals?
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    Basically to be healthy and feel good
    Easy as that. Along the way lose some weight gain some muscle. I'm not.a complicated man lol
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hobbies, I guess? Happening here now, Zygopetalum Redvale. Should've included something for scale: The individual blooms are good-sized, maybe 1.5-2" (4-5 cm). Makes me happy when the various weirdos bloom.
    a1jbri0l830s.jpg
  • Rxman1971
    Options
    Pretty