General Chat Thread - Please Participate

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    I am moving along towards getting a part-time job offer. I went through a background check today, and I think everything should look good.

I'll know within a few weeks, and then I can say more about it.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    @Farback did you have a design for your cat exercise wheel or just knock it together? More importantly... do the cats actually use it?
    I reversed engineered it from a picture of a very expensive one on the interwebs. They haven’t mastered it yet. I’m hopeing as they get bigger they can use it. I did do up full autocad plans and parts list for it though. Free to anyone interested in building one.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,961 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    @Farback did you have a design for your cat exercise wheel or just knock it together? More importantly... do the cats actually use it?
    I reversed engineered it from a picture of a very expensive one on the interwebs. They haven’t mastered it yet. I’m hopeing as they get bigger they can use it. I did do up full autocad plans and parts list for it though. Free to anyone interested in building one.

My son was making noises about getting one before he headed to CFB Esquimalt... should be graduating soon as a Sublieutenant... although he's making noises about jumping from Naval Warfare Officer cadre to Naval Engineering Officer cadre. Apparently someone in the Navy's Powers That BE noticed he had most of an Engineering degree as well as a Physics degree and they're head-hunting him to change streams... ANYWAY, his cat is a bit fluffy. I'm sure she'd benefit from the exercise but getting her to do so could be tricky.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I am moving along towards getting a part-time job offer. I went through a background check today, and I think everything should look good.

It always surprises me how many retirees end up seeking at least part time work. It seems like our generation craves the activity... the more recent gens, not so much... Not sure who is right?
  • mtaratoot
    Options

It always surprises me how many retirees end up seeking at least part time work. It seems like our generation craves the activity... the more recent gens, not so much... Not sure who is right?

This is different. Quite different.

I have been doing volunteer work for YEARS, and this is almost the kind of thing I'd volunteer for. I did a little work last summer as a self-employed sole proprietor for a non-profit that I've supported for decades. I got to paddle a canoe and look for a few particular invasive aquatic plants. We had contractors along that would spray them when we found them. Good work. Not a whole lot of money, but I was happy to earn a little bit. I had done the same job the year before as a volunteer, but last year they had money in the budget to pay me. They're asking me to come help again this year, and I will.

But this other thing is more of an ongoing thing, but no more than a few days a month. It's something I got alerted to through one of my paddling clubs, and I contacted the person who runs the program. I went down to meet them, and they suggested I apply. Now things are going through the process. It will be a fun and rewarding gig.

When I told friends I was applying, one said, "You bored?" Hell no. If it were any more of an obligation, I wouldn't consider it. To be honest, I'm a little reticent to give up even three or four days a month to "work." Worse than that, it's weekdays. Those are the days I like to get in the woods or on the water because there's no crowds. That's OK. There's advantages to it being weekdays too.

Another friend thought I said three or four days a week. She kept asking if I was sure. I was the person that suggested SHE was able to retire when she did, and she loves it. She does a few side jobs as a speaker in her field and makes a few bucks. When she realized it was just a few days a month, she said, "OH!" It would require a bit of a commute, but I'm probably OK with that. We'll see. I never had to commute for my career. I rode my bike most of the time, and it was just a few miles.

Maybe I'll spill the beans about what the job actually is, but I kind of want to wait until I get an offer. I think it's in the bag, but one never knows.
  • Farback
    Options
    9onx1usw2x47.jpeg
    I helped out with some rookie training tonight. We do an additional night for new people to get them up to speed. This is my grandson on a 24 foot ladder.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    9onx1usw2x47.jpeg
    I helped out with some rookie training tonight. We do an additional night for new people to get them up to speed. This is my grandson on a 24 foot ladder.

What a great picture!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @Farback

It's really fun to see how happy he is to follow your footsteps. Figuratively as well as literally; I bet a bagel you've climbed that very ladder.

Public service is an honor. People who work in service of others are heroes.
  • Farback
    Options
    lvh3dd1ntb5c.jpeg
    5u9d4l13qh1k.jpeg
    bdootppqczrr.png
    Did a hike in the rain. I am apparently no smarter than a duck.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being out in the rain. I'm about to do the same - go look for wildflowers in the park by the river.

By the way - I love your hat. Their West-Coast IPA is really delicious. Sierra Nevada now has a N/A IPA that's at least as good as that one, and I think this is all pretty awesome.
  • Farback
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being out in the rain. I'm about to do the same - go look for wildflowers in the park by the river.

By the way - I love your hat. Their West-Coast IPA is really delicious. Sierra Nevada now has a N/A IPA that's at least as good as that one, and I think this is all pretty awesome.

I tried a number of N/A beers when I quit drinking a year ago. I still have some scotch with much more class than I when on a rare vacation. The Sober Carpenter has become my favorite.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Did a hike in the rain. I am apparently no smarter than a duck.

cj89yuqu3vwv.png
    Water never hurt a man... just keep his hide from cracking...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Water keeps our rivers flowing.

I like water.

I paddle.

We had HEAVY rain today. I happened to be out during part of it. I had on the right clothes, so I was dry underneath. I saw a few wildflowers; more to come. There weren't that many people out on the river trail since it was a weekday and raining like holy hell. Perfect. Just me, the mud, my boots, the rain, and everything around me. Sweet!

I just got invited on a very special Alaska river trip that I probably should join just on spec. I can't really afford it - it requires small flights in and out for all persons and gear, and I think it might include a helicopter shuttle of one particularly unrunnable canyon.
  • 1ronGiant
    1ronGiant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new to the group, I just joined. :-)
    I am on this weight loss, try to eat healthy and exercise regularly merry go round. I am more determined this time not to give up since I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Looking for accountability as well as looking to not feel so alone on this journey.
  • Farback
    Options

Water keeps our rivers flowing.

I like water.

I paddle.

We had HEAVY rain today. I happened to be out during part of it. I had on the right clothes, so I was dry underneath. I saw a few wildflowers; more to come. There weren't that many people out on the river trail since it was a weekday and raining like holy hell. Perfect. Just me, the mud, my boots, the rain, and everything around me. Sweet!

I just got invited on a very special Alaska river trip that I probably should join just on spec. I can't really afford it - it requires small flights in and out for all persons and gear, and I think it might include a helicopter shuttle of one particularly unrunnable canyon.

That trip sounds fantastic!
  • Farback
    Options
    I’ve been working long night shifts the past couple days, and due to circumstances, it looks like I’m the only guard I’ve got tonight. Not getting my workouts in.

Maybe lawfulness might break out. But it is Saturday night, so it’s unlikely.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Maybe lawfulness might break out.

That's never happened.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    1ronGiant wrote: »
    Hello, I am new to the group, I just joined. :-)
    I am on this weight loss, try to eat healthy and exercise regularly merry go round. I am more determined this time not to give up since I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Looking for accountability as well as looking to not feel so alone on this journey.

Welcome, @1ronGiant!! That's a clever user name... such a great movie!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Hello, @1ronGiant, and welcome to the group! Tell us a little about yourself - hobbies, job, exercise preferences if any?

I used to have high cholesterol and high blood pressure, too - I empathize. You are for sure not alone on this journey, though various people may be at different points on the path. Stick with it, and success is out there, IME.

Greetings to the rest of the group, too. How is everyone doing? It would be especially nice to get an update from some who may be reading but who haven't posted lately, to let us know how things are going.

Things are quiet here. I have many little blue and stripe-y squill type things blooming now in the garden, and (giant topic shift) just finished slogging through the easy version of Concept 2's March Madness challenge (machine row 5k or stationary bike 10k on at least 25 of 31 days in March). The near-black hellebores are blooming, too - a double and a single - which makes me happy.

52fjb1x084do.jpg
    9p3qari2o5vl.jpg

@Farback, your grandson has such a nice, open smile . . . and those kitties look adorable. (You know I admire your beautiful handbuilt boats!)

• Farback
    Options
    Another 12 hour guard shift overnight. Fourth night in a row. Follow me for retirement tips!

Back to the gym tomorrow. My weight is holding steady, ten pounds from my target, but I’m not getting the exercise I want to accomplish.